The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod, DotA

By on August 9, 2008 12:21:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

The initial inspiration for Demigod was heavily based on the Warcraft 3 mod, Defense of the Ancients. If you've never played it, Defense of the Ancients is an incredibly clever game concept in which players team up on on a single map choosing between many different heroes. How one customizes their hero makes all the difference.

Demigod works similarly in that you choose amongst several different heroes (your Demigods). Some heroes are called Generals whose strengths come from their ability to manipulate their minions and engage in larger scale strategy. Other heroes are called Assassins who are immensely powerful individuals whose strengths focus on just being massive butt kickers.

Defense of the Ancients could almost be described as a game where two rivers are flowing against each other. Each player is trying to get their river to make headway against their opponent's river until the flow enters their base. My analogy may not make sense unless you've played DotA. But if you have, you probably get my meaning.  Demigod does not play quite like that.

In Demigod you have a lot of strategic choices you have to make. Arenas have other elements that give one side or the other significant advantages. This means players have to choose often to give up some ground in order to gain longer term advantages. That is, there are certain parts of the Arena that you can control that give your side significant advantages. Hence, there are multiple strategic objectives.

The Demigod gains strength through experience, as they level up, the player can choose to strengthen different abilities or add new powers. Players can also use money to purchase items that give their side or their Demigod additional advantages. This is basically the same as was found in DotA.

So it's definitely fair to say that DotA served as inspiration for Demigod. But Demigod will ultimately be somewhat different in play style. Right now, myself, Chris Taylor, and Mike Marr are putting our combined design experiences together in trying to create a unique, innovative, and compelling strategy game experience.

More to come on this soon.

Locked Post 84 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 9, 2008 12:33:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thanks for the explaination I've not played DotA, so after reading about it on all the different threads it really helped to get this explaination about DotA and the differences between DotA and Demigod.
August 9, 2008 1:48:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thats awesome, I've played DotA a bunch, and I've always loved it, so it's cool to hear where there inspiration came from.
August 9, 2008 1:48:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I have not played it also and look forward to this game
August 9, 2008 1:55:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Having not played DotA, this explains a lot.
August 9, 2008 2:03:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Yay for more gameplay info! ????
August 9, 2008 3:52:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The basic idea of DotA for those who haven't played is pretty simple. As said, there are two opposing teams of up to 5 players each. Both teams have a base at opposing corners of the map with 3 lanes exiting along the two sides of the map and the middle. 6 "unit" buildings (two per lane) serve as protection for the main objective, the World Tree (for Sentinels) or the Frozen Throne (for the Scourge). Marring passage to destroy these unit buildings and eventually the goal are 3 towers per lane, and wave after wave of minor enemies rushing to their eventual demise, or victory, at the other end of the map along each lane.

The central focus of the map is to help your waves of allies (henceforth named creeps) push towards the enemy base, through all three towers on a lane (you can destroy all 9 towers if you like), destroy the unit buildings on that lane (which give your creeps on that lane a power boost), and then take out the World Tree or Frozen Throne. It's a simple premise, but the practice of a game is rarely as simple. Initially every hero starts at level 1 and has a modest stipend of gold to buy gear with (gear will improve your attributes, provide modest healing, or other combat advantages). You gain levels by killing enemy creeps, and enemy heroes. Primarily your skills are focused on dealing with enemy heroes or aiding allies, though at times skills can have other purposes*.

The exciting portion of DotA's game play comes from the player versus player aspect. While your objective is always to progress towards the enemy base, rest assured they're after the same thing, so much of the game is spent actually beating each other up rather than helping the creeps all that much. With carefully laid out terrain blocking movement and sight, it's possible to lead ambushes on enemy heroes progressing into your territory, or even as you progress into theirs. Chases can lead through these wending passes and often times amazing victories are just as common as narrow escapes. For more info I direct you to Youtube. As grainy as those videos are, you'll see many videos on Pudge, the Goblin Techies, and Axe describing vicious and decisive victories.

--------

It's nice to hear that Demigod won't be just a DotA clone. I had my suspicions that there would be something more, but I'm glad it's confirmed. Now I'm eager to see what you guys have in store for us.

* Some attack skills like Rexxar, the Beast Master's Wild Axes can remove trees from the map while damaging enemies they come in contact with in their travels, creating new passages to attack enemies. Other skills like Furion, the Prophet's Sprout skill will restrict enemy movement for several seconds. Some skills will also charm units into following you, like Chen, the Holy Knight's Persuasion skill which allows him to control up to 3 creeps (neutral creeps found throughout the forests of the map can be quite powerful if used properly, but even charming enemy creeps can make enemy heroes nervous in the early game)
August 9, 2008 4:14:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I would hope that Demigod isnt a dota clone, DotA had overpowered heroes and some items were greatly outbalanced. I like the fact that you can command the creeps on demigod and you have a persistent level. I just want beta! I have had experience with beta before and I can find even the smallest of errors. It is fun doing this for companies and helping them out , I wished I would get paid for it.
August 9, 2008 5:49:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
This is great news, in that it also confirms the fact that maps may have custom game play effects in them (something I was very much hoping for)

So again, THANK YOU!
August 9, 2008 6:20:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Awesome. I love DotA but always thought that there should be more to it then just fighting each other back and forth. To hear that Demigod will add something to the mix is a great thing. Looking forward to it more then ever!
August 9, 2008 8:06:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
As a Dota player looking to Demigod for some new innovation on an original genre crossover, this part has me excited:

"That is, there are certain parts of the Arena that you can control that give your side significant advantages. Hence, there are multiple strategic objectives."

Questions to the Devs:

A) What are your favourite Dota Heroes?

Do any Demigods draw inspiration from these heroes?
August 9, 2008 9:10:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

a) Razor maybe?

I can't really answer that, I don't really see that much resemblance.  The gameplay is significantly different in some respects.

One of the things that I think people will find once they play the betas (not beta 1 which, like I mentioned earlier is purposely set up not to be very good) is that a lot of the game mechanics will seem obvious in hindsight.  Some of the things we're adding woudl even have made sense being added to Dota even (like influencing where creeps go, controlling points that give you access to super powers, etc.).

August 9, 2008 10:04:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
is an incredibly clever game concept

Dota is hardly clever nor a concept. It's an old, wore down idea that is played mostly by 7 year old ADD players with no friends.

My experiance in playing dota was not a good one. I've tried on 3 separate occasions to play a game of it;
First game I was kicked in the first 10 minutes because I didn't choose the right item. Even though I was kicked, everyone left the game shortly afterwards because of how I had ruined it.

Second game I was a melee hero and I killed 2 creeps; the game was than abandoned because that's not what pros do.

Third game (and the last) I got about 20 minutes into the game before being kicked for having the lowest score.

Even trying to have fun, the game was horribly boring to me. It was predictable, nothing special.
Dota is a half decent game, but it's overplayed and overhyped.

EDIT: Also, their triggers are horrid to look at. I've seen some bad jass, but still.
August 9, 2008 10:38:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is an incredibly clever game concept

Dota is hardly clever nor a concept. It's an old, wore down idea that is played mostly by 7 year old ADD players with no friends.

My experiance in playing dota was not a good one. I've tried on 3 separate occasions to play a game of it;
First game I was kicked in the first 10 minutes because I didn't choose the right item. Even though I was kicked, everyone left the game shortly afterwards because of how I had ruined it.

Second game I was a melee hero and I killed 2 creeps; the game was than abandoned because that's not what pros do.

Third game (and the last) I got about 20 minutes into the game before being kicked for having the lowest score.

Even trying to have fun, the game was horribly boring to me. It was predictable, nothing special.
Dota is a half decent game, but it's overplayed and overhyped.

EDIT: Also, their triggers are horrid to look at. I've seen some bad jass, but still.

That's really a community issue more than anything.  One of the things I always hear about is "don't split the multiplayer community" by having non-ranked games and such. But splitting the multiplayer community to me, is a feature.  Let those who are hard core tournament guys play ranked games and let others play normal skirmish games or participate in the persistent tournament in which you're battling for a greater good -- to get your Demigod (as in, everyone who has chosen a particular Demigod) up the ladder.

I know precisely what you're talking about though. But Dota is a mod and hence doesn't have the kind of resources a stand alone game would/should have in terms of providing rewards for many different ways to play the game (getting personal achievements, having strong single player features, having different types of multiplayer).

August 10, 2008 3:36:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I think as well that it is mainly a community thing, normal warcraft III isn't much better when it comes to this ( to be fair I noticed that its alot better than it was a few years ago at least in normal Warcraft).

having non-ranked game modes doesn't split the community, its 2 different types of experience which attracts 2 different type of players, also it isn't an either/or decision but most will play some games of both type probably.

What could split the community is having too many different ranked game modes, so we end up with 7 Teams in 7 different game modes waiting for an opponent via automatch, I would hate to see 1vs1 or 2vs2 becomes the standard ranked game mode because of this.
August 10, 2008 4:08:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To me, I also see a lot of an old old old game called Sacrifice in Demigod.  The premise is very similar, God has been killed, and you play a mercenary wizard who the 5 younger gods entice into their service in a war to take the supreme title of God.  Over time, you complete missions for the gods, and they grant you unique spells and monsters to summon, and you learn more about what is really happening behind the scenes of the war.  It was a really groundbreaking game, mixing a third person action game with RTS.  You choose a god for each mission, gaining faction with some while losing lots with others, taking the battle across small aerial islands to control the souls of the folk (so you can turn them into monsters to support your cause) and the mana of the land.

August 10, 2008 4:29:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I can't wait to see more in regards to not just what Demigods will be available but how we are able to personalise each Demigod to our playstyle (within reason of the core design of the Demigod itself).

I can't wait to see to what extent the item system will play, and what other sorts of systems are implemented (I'm hoping for a talent tree system of sorts that lets our Demigod excel in certain areas we desire).

August 10, 2008 5:11:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes Sacrifice was an Epic game indeed! My favorite Deity was Jim the earth god 

Did you guys (the devs) take any inspiration from Sacrifice aswell?

So far what do you think will be most exciting for a player besides winning, what are the WOW factors in the game that you think most people will get excited about?

August 10, 2008 5:32:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have to admit that I had no idea what DotA was until one of my teenage sons explained it to me a few months ago. ????
August 10, 2008 6:07:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Yeah Dota in my opinion is overrated even though I played it a few times with my friends. My main grudge against it though havent been the gametype but the way it was done. DoTA Allstars that is the most common (if not the only) Dota being played is just subpar in alot of areas. This was why I preordered Demigod, seeing how GPG now got a really decent shot to create something perfectly fitting for this gametype and from what Ive seen this far I will not be disappointed.

P.S Fix the big DEMIGOD logo on top of the site so you can click it to go back to Home.
August 10, 2008 6:13:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
is an incredibly clever game conceptDota is hardly clever nor a concept. It's an old, wore down idea that is played mostly by 7 year old ADD players with no friends.My experiance in playing dota was not a good one. I've tried on 3 separate occasions to play a game of it;First game I was kicked in the first 10 minutes because I didn't choose the right item. Even though I was kicked, everyone left the game shortly afterwards because of how I had ruined it.Second game I was a melee hero and I killed 2 creeps; the game was than abandoned because that's not what pros do. Third game (and the last) I got about 20 minutes into the game before being kicked for having the lowest score.Even trying to have fun, the game was horribly boring to me. It was predictable, nothing special.Dota is a half decent game, but it's overplayed and overhyped.EDIT: Also, their triggers are horrid to look at. I've seen some bad jass, but still.

DotA stemmed from the Aeon of Strife map which was made for StarCraft. Really nice idea, and I'm glad that the numerous guys and their predecessors made the map to what it is today.
Sounds like you're just bitter, or joined a pro or expert game. You don't get kicked out in noob/beginner/regular players' games. What makes me play it? It's not really predictable, every game is different. Here, variety is key, and how you use it to your advantage.

Good for you, for being the bitter, bitter man like you are, while we have fun instead of "even trying to have fun"
Matter of taste I guess.
August 10, 2008 9:12:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
While I haven't played it in Starcraft, I loved the Aeon of Strife map in WC3. I especially liked it how you could upgrade the units.
DotA however, I never liked it. It's all about overpowered heroes.
August 10, 2008 10:23:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It's all about overpowered heroes.

Heh, isn't this what Demigod is all about?
August 10, 2008 12:02:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I know that to people who only tried Dota a handful of times the experience can be lacking. But for those of us who have been playing for months and years we know that there is a lot of hidden depth to Dota and a lot of needed Team Work, Skill and Timing.

The Overpowered heroes statement is the type of comment that comes from inexperienced players. The great thing about Dota is when you know the ins and outs, selecting the right skills at level ups and building yourself up with the right items it doesn't really matter what hero you have, you can make a winning hero.

Some heroes get imbalanced yes, and that's why the map stays in development, constantly tweaking the balance, adding new items and heroes, etc.

There is an annoying community issue I agree. It reminds me of the old Barrens chat in WoW. Used to drive me nuts. The Chuck Norris jokes were funny for a while, but 2/3 years later holy crap are they old...

If you want to try Dota in a fun atmosphere and learn the game while you wait for Demigod message me and I'll introduce you to a mature crowd that plays for fun and who won't call you noob or kick you for making a mistake.
August 10, 2008 12:28:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Agree on that. DotA is pretty addictive and fast paced game, that despite its fast pace offers surprisingly deep gameplay. When you chance on a well playing, mature enough not to abuse people, it is real plasure to play.

About Demigod now. All the information mentioned in the press releases and interviews by developers and Stardock seems very promising , BUT one thing that concerns me pretty much. I am talking about that u will have only 2 types of heroes. That doesn't seem enough to me to offer the level of customization per hero, which would delight the regular DotA player. I know that the game has a variety of other aspects that will be much deeper integrated in Demigod, than they are in DotA, but anyway take a look at DotA. The funniest part is the wide variety of heroes u can choose between, and the many different way to build up each one of them with so many items available.
That i doubt will be that good implemented in Demigod, with only 2 types of heroes.
Please surprise me, and prove me wrong:)
August 10, 2008 2:00:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
TheKop in Dota there is only 1 type of different hero. Their is no general type hero in dota who builds his own army (an army not 1-4 minions) and barracks.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time: