The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: The Single Player Game

Yes, it's a big deal!

By on May 29, 2008 1:45:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A lot of attention has been given to Demigod's multiplayer capabilities.  I like to think that Demigod will be the Counterstrike of strategy games.

But what about the single player experience?

Well, one of the big changes since Stardock and Gas Powered Games have teamed up is the single player game.  Stardock takes single player games very very seriously. You could say it's our area of expertise.

In a couple of weeks, we hope to unveil here the single player concept.  I think people will be pretty pleased as those who are worried that single player will merely be skirmishes or some scripted campaign need not worry. We have something really special and unique in development.

Stay tuned!

+897 Karma | 89 Replies
May 29, 2008 4:27:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
That's really a great news!!!!
May 29, 2008 6:57:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Really?
We have something really special and unique in development.

example? Hint? please? ????
May 29, 2008 7:01:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Great news!

I'm mainly interested in the multiplayer part, but an interesting single player campaign would be really good.????
May 29, 2008 1:54:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Awesome news! I was really just expecting just skirmishes or something, so this is just great. I can't wait to hear more info on this
May 29, 2008 5:33:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Cant wait to hear what you guys have cooked up
May 30, 2008 8:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Sounds awesome as I was simply excited for "the Counterstrike of strategy."
May 30, 2008 11:31:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Here's a little known fact: The original designer and lead of Defender of the Crown works at Gas Powered Games.
May 31, 2008 3:32:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Ooh, unique eh? Wasn't Defender of the Crown turn based? Hmmm.. Never gonna guess it, are we? Hehe
May 31, 2008 8:30:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
uhm... you fight to the death with another general/assassin in a giant flying office building made of jello? (the jello is not so much of a must as the flying office building)
June 5, 2008 11:23:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Oh thank god...That is the one thing that's been holding me back from clicking "accept" under the pre-order options. I'm not much of an online player, but I was hoping that you'd give some awesome to the single-player. (Even if it was just to the extent of SoaSE, I'd be happy.)
June 5, 2008 12:11:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
And....pre-ordered.
June 14, 2008 1:49:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Those of you who know me know how big of a deal single player gameplay is.

The design we've collectively come up with is extremely cool. It's not like anything I've seen in a game before.

It is NOT a campaign. As easy and tempting as just doing a scripted campaign might have been, we wanted to make a single player experience that people would want to play again and again.

June 15, 2008 4:54:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sounds interesting, i'm anxiously waiting to know more about it.

June 16, 2008 4:53:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
PLEASE, just tell us! All this waiting is making me go insane. And also making me spend a lot of time constantly checking back on the forums!
June 17, 2008 4:59:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
i'm really looking forward to this game as it REALLY IS similar to DotA (Defense of the Ancients, a map for Warcraft III); i don't know whether the gameplay will be anything as complex as it is in DotA, but if so, then this game will be one of the BEST!
June 17, 2008 5:13:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Glad to hear about the single-player elements, as I suspect a largely multi-player game would be of little interest to those of us who don't do MP.????
June 18, 2008 5:16:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Here's a little known fact: The original designer and lead of Defender of the Crown works at Gas Powered Games.

I wonder if he ever misses working on the greatest computer ever made, the Amiga? ??????

Thats good to hear. Thanks Frogboy for making this thread. I have actually been holding off on pre-ordering because SP is important to me and everything seemed to focus on MP. Frankly my mind isn't what it use to be so I need SP just so I don't embarrass myself
June 19, 2008 1:38:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
So far from what I've read in the features thing the single player will just be a series of maps as if you were in some tournament. Sins felt more mp than sp. Infact, SP just felt like a mp game with AI players sort of making that mode redundant.

If the idea about going back to it is just lots of tournament style maps then I'll probably pass. However, if it is under the greater scope of some freeform, unscripted, strategic campaign(like top level GC2) then I am in heaven.
June 19, 2008 1:56:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The design we've collectively come up with is extremely cool. It's not like anything I've seen in a game before.
It is NOT a campaign. As easy and tempting as just doing a scripted campaign might have been, we wanted to make a single player experience that people would want to play again and again.

If its not a campaign, will it have a story to it, that will somehow be explained true out missions/levels?
June 19, 2008 3:23:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I'm thinking there will be a story.. But perhaps a SupCom story, where it only really serves to bring you to your next skirmish. However, that isn't exactly an original concept so i'm baffled to what this great idea may be.
June 19, 2008 3:44:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I am hoping for something like Medieval II: Total War (or Mount & Blade) with a map containing all of the battle regions, allowing you to bring troops and Demigods over to fight for control over a new area while maintaining the defenses in the areas that you control. If that isn't in, I want to mod it in! =P
June 19, 2008 4:43:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Exactly what I want, chirmaya. One thing I've always felt was missing in TW was the option to play a single general/character and diving in with my fellow soldiers. This game seems to wonderfully bridge the rts/action together.

I really want some strong 4x elements in the singleplayer but I think expecting that is a long shot.
June 19, 2008 4:52:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Anything really in depth would be preferable to the Sins way of SP. A massive campaign as you suggested Chirmaya would be excellent, something we could really get our teeth into before multiplayer.
June 21, 2008 5:47:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hah, yes I agree. Sins SP felt underwhelming. Just MP with AI opponents, which was possible in MP anyway!

June 24, 2008 1:40:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This sold me, I've pre-ordered. ????
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.