The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I murdered our retail plans today

By on February 21, 2012 9:14:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Sorry gang,

I decided to not allow our next two titles to be available at retail (Sins rebellion and Fallen Enchantress).

The cost/benefit ratio just isn’t there at this time. 

It is cool to tell people your game is at the store. But as a business, until the retailers adapt, it doesn’t make sense to deal with them at this point.

+86 Karma | 84 Replies
February 21, 2012 9:17:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Makes sense, honestly its only a matter of time until retail stores disappear completely in favor of digital downloads for consoles as well as pcs.

February 21, 2012 9:18:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But I like the pretty box.

Maybe you could make a "print your own box"  web page.  We could print them out and mail them to you for you to autograph and return with a company photo.

February 21, 2012 9:20:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

makes sense to me.

Does this mean no boxes? Or direct shipping (perhaps through Amazon + fedex) for a limited number of items?

February 21, 2012 9:22:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Will that decision mean lower costs for customers compared to titles from other shops that still ship physical units?

February 21, 2012 9:28:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well at least you responded to our issue.

February 21, 2012 9:30:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good decision. I haven't bought a game from a store in years. How quickly will you release these games on Steam? I only buy from your site, but I also want it to do well in the larger market.

February 21, 2012 10:06:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any way you can share in round numbers what the cost delta is for doing retail vs. digital?  Do the best buys etc.. of the world charge slotting fee's for boxed games?  Always wondered about that.

February 21, 2012 10:12:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

All Good Brad, especially if the new SDC is out before Rebellion!

Though the issue of box art won't go away...

Quoting Sinperium,
Maybe you could make a "print your own box" web page. We could print them out and mail them to you for you to autograph and return with a company photo.

I know it has been mentioned as far back as the GC2:Twilight release that a jewel case image would be a great idea!!

Would it really be so hard to have an image available for download?

February 21, 2012 10:27:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No problem, last time I bought game from retail was in 2007.

February 21, 2012 11:31:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as I can buy the game through impulse.

troll pacov runs away !

February 21, 2012 11:47:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Only PC games I see at the stores are a couple big FPS, a bunch of Sims stuff, and Blizzzards Warcraft stuff.  And a few MMO fad games.  Noting I really want to go buy.

February 22, 2012 12:23:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kaesho,
Makes sense, honestly its only a matter of time until retail stores disappear completely in favor of digital downloads for consoles as well as pcs.

Retail is largely dead for non-mainstream PC games, so no shock here.

As for consoles, I don't think they'll survive the transition to DD, but that's more a function of the horrendous business model.  I suspect handhelds will replace consoles eventually, though some genres will move to PC

February 22, 2012 12:58:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesing ...

would be a pleasant surprise after all the console arrogance

February 22, 2012 3:00:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That's okay. I've got Fallen Enchantress already, and I wasn't planning on getting Rebellion from a retail outlet.

February 22, 2012 4:26:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you can't make money doing it, don't do it.

February 22, 2012 4:51:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

On a $40 game we net about $15 these days at retail. 

There's MDF, which is effectively a slotting fee, as well as the manufacturing, the distributor's cut, the retailer's cut and that's before taking into account the costs of having a retail sales force to go out and negotiate with each retailer, attend their shows, etc. 

That's just how retail is.  They still sell more units than digital (at least for us) but there is also a lot of risk and cost associated with it.

February 22, 2012 5:09:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One more nail in the retailcoffin.

I really wonder if Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 will have STEAMlike ways to forever stop secondhand sales. I believe it, but am not certain.

February 22, 2012 5:55:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
tation 4 and Xbox 720 will have STEAMlike ways to forever stop secondhand sales. I believe it, but am not certain.

It is rumored, at least for the 720.

February 22, 2012 6:34:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

Quoting Campaigner, reply 17tation 4 and Xbox 720 will have STEAMlike ways to forever stop secondhand sales. I believe it, but am not certain.

It is rumored, at least for the 720.
It's quite certain that there will be something. What that is and how pervasive it might be is yet unknown, but we can be sure some mechanism will be present.

February 22, 2012 7:34:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When this system happens, Gamestop will not last a decade- their business model is built on secondhand, and the way they treat folks guarantees no customer loyalty.

February 22, 2012 8:00:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The only bad thing I can think of from a lack of retail presence is getting your game into the hands of folks that haven't/don't use online distribution. And possibly a level of marketing (getting your game out into the public more). But, Elemental is more of a niche title. Sins could probably stand alone in retail since it's an RTS.

What avenues will be selling these two games? Steam? Impulse? Origin?

February 22, 2012 8:04:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Personally, it doesn't bother me.  I buy all my PC games digitally and am happy to do so.

I will say I do like the box art idea though.

February 22, 2012 8:58:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
The only bad thing I can think of from a lack of retail presence is getting your game into the hands of folks that haven't/don't use online distribution. And possibly a level of marketing (getting your game out into the public more).

That is assuming that you can get decent retail space.  Walk in to a Best Buy lately and see how many titles they carry?  Retail doesn't care about PC games anymore.  If they don't care about us, why should we be on the shelves?  Much rather concentrate on the game and ignore the retail politics.  In the end, it's much better for the gamers.

February 22, 2012 8:59:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
I will say I do like the box art idea though.

I was think art prints or posters or some collectable, personally.  Could have something much cooler than a box and we could mail it direct.  We'll need to see what doors open once we adjst to the "no retail" idea.

February 22, 2012 9:05:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Up until just about 6 months ago I had to buy everything retail because I live in a very rural area and we have yet to see decent internet. We still don't have decent internet, but it is a little better because we have HughesNet now. They're still those people who rely on retail copies for games.

Are we going to get any of the saving passed on, or is it you will just be making more? Just curious.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.