Some people have problems or dont know how to install mods for Demigod. So i made this forum post in order to help (maybe) some of them. I put it in "General" section, and not in "Demigod Modding", in order for everyone to see it.
Anyone who wishes to install a mod should know:
1. a) Download the mod you want.
b ) Use an archive tool/program in order to extract the files of the mod. I personally use WinRar. 7-Zip is also really good. WinZip is popular and considered a very good program, but i honestly dont like it, and also it doest support .rar files. Most mods are either a xxxx.ZIP or xxxx.RAR files. So you should use ANY archive program that support these 2 file types. My 2 suggestions are: http://www.win-rar.com/download.html or http://www.7-zip.org/
2. a) Extract the files in a temporary directory, which can be anywhere, but for ease and speed i suggest you extract in eiher your Desktop or in "My Documents" folder. I personally use as a temporary place the "My Documents" folder.
b ) DO NOT EXTRACT FILES DIRECTLY INSIDE THE MOD FOLDER in any case. I have observed that some programs, including WinRar, create an additional folder in which they place the files. Example: when you tell the program "extract to xxxx path directory", it extracts, AND place the files in an additional folder named after the compressed file, i.e. if the file is named "new favor items mod" it will create a folder with this name and place it inside.
3. a) If you let the program create an additional folder, and extract directly inside the mod folder then: In your Single Player games there will be no problem, the mod will work fine. However, in Multiplayer games, when you play with friends to test a mod, or whatever, if you ALL dont have the mod under the same folders, and with the same file names, IT WILL NOT WORK. It will cause an invalid error right from the start.
b ) All players in Multiplayer games, should have the same mods installed, with the same path directories, and with the same file names. Otherwise there will be problems as i explained above. Except for UI only mods. these mods do not directly affect the game, for example items, skills, favor items etc etc. One player may have an UI only mod and others might not have it, and still be able to play MP together.
4. a) When you have extracted the files in a temporary location, make sure the "hook" folder, and the "mod_info" file, are inside ONE folder with the mod's original name. If your archive program created an additional folder and placed the files inside it, just move the folder out of the additionally created folder.
b ) When you have done all of the above, Move the mod inside the demigod mods folder. This is usually in: C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\mods . This is where I have Demigod installed. You might have it installed in a different directory. In any case, the mod folder is in: Demigod\bindata\mods . Worst case scenario, that you cant find it, (i cant believe you are unable to) just run a search using the windows search angine, and type the word "mods" into the box.
5. You are now all set and ready to test your new mod. One last step is to run the game, and go to the "Mod Manager" in the title screen. From there you should see the mod's name at the left side. Select it and click enable. You should now see it in the right side. This means that it is enabled.
Thats it! you can now start a game and see some results. I think my instructions are fairly simple (i hope), and even if you are drunk, just woke up, or whatever, you can easily understand! (I am just kidding he he)
Any questions? just post here if you have and i will help you