The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod in-game systems

By on November 19, 2009 11:12:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I already posted that as an answer in another topic, which is now locked. So I repost, because I really would like to know the point of view of the community over that question.

My impression is that we insist on bugs, lag, desync, or dg/items balance. But we almost never talk about the multiplayer experience in its wide sense, which in my opinion is the most important thing on such a team-oriented game.

A team game has to provide systems to make people meet, create teams, play competitions, etc. All Demigod is providing at the moment is a minimalist and laggy friendlist, individual stats, and a lobby. Ok, and a pantheon.

Demigod is not a 1 vs 1 game, when people play they are not playing for their own victory but for their team. The performance of a player depends a lot on his teammates. But Demigod's ladder make people play for themselves. Which creates a situation where friends cannot even play together.

But does anyone care ? Those questions about the multiplayer experience should be more discussed than technical issues. It is what makes people stay on a multiplayer game, definitely. Why do I have the feeling that it is not the main concern at all ?

I just read a topic talking about what GPG plans to do : new demigods, new maps, new etc. It is good and I will not blame them for their support, but there is so more crucial to focus on. Team-oriented ingame systems really are the most important sides of a team-based game like Demigod.

Some suggestions about what those ingame systems could be :

• Clan creation system, with clan members grades, custom clan banner, match request from clan to clan, and whatever anyone would imagine.
  • Automatic matching system between teams (premades and clans)
  • Automatic matching system for players alone
  • Automatic tournament system (with rules variations)
  • Team stats, or player level, instead of detailed individual stats, because this is not a single player game like Supreme Commander. And by single-player you know what I mean. It has sense on Supreme commander because people were playing 1on1, but on Demigod players are not playing 1on1 (most of the time).
  • Calendar where you can find all events like tournaments, patch releases, or whatever useful to the community
  • Chat channels where everyone is immediately put after having logged in. It is important to put people together, to make them know they are not alone. Seriously.
  • Efficient friendlist with features like "join friend's room", "send offline message", "create group", etc
  • Automatic saves of tournament matches replays, available from an in-game replay browser
  • Etc.

All those features need to be available in game. A new player do not want to go on the forums, IRC, or any website to enjoy his new multiplayer game. Presently, he just feel alone and get kicked from rooms because of his stats. Demigod should not take example over first person shooters like Counter Strike or Quake, but other pvp games like Guild Wars where everything is done for team-play.

I know Stardock and GPG have other things to do, and that it would not be a quick little work to implement all those systems. Maybe the source code architecture would need too huge changes, maybe not. But let's not forget that this game is still young, and that each improvement can still potentially hook a lot of new players. Every day I see people with 0-10 games being politely asked to leave the room, when they are lucky. They deserve better treatment, and it is not a matter of players mentality, it's a matter of what the game provides to them.

Not with new maps, new demigods, new items, new balance, new blah. With a better multiplayer experience.

Here comes a wall. Let's say I am a new player and I login for the first time in Demigod's multiplayer mode. I am immediately teleported in a large channel where all players logged-in are put on connection. People are chatting about diverse qot builds, but I do not care, I am watching at the Stardock menu. There are a lot of options, but I see a "Immediate automatch" button. I click on it, and get a screen just like when searching a game in pantheon. A game is found, with people of my level, and I play it. I am bad, I play like shit and realize how bad AIs were. I keep playing some automatch, each time staying a few minuts in the chat to see what people are talking about. I noticed some guys are evocating a tournament. I go in the menu and find a "Free tournaments" button, which shows me a list of automatic tournaments scheduled for tonight. I subscribe to one of them, which is 3v3 conquest on Cataract/Prison with default settings. I keep playing that way during the next days, until I start knowing some players. I add them to my friendlist and use to join the rooms they are, sometimes. After having played a lot of premade automatch together, we decide to create a clan, in order to get in the competition ^^. We use to subscribe to clan tournaments where we can face very good clans. Now I stay longer in the chat, I have interesting conversations with people I do not know, and who I play with, sometimes. I have recruited some new guys, and we choosed to use the in-game voice chat in order to communicate more efficiently. I am enjoying good games, tough and balanced. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes there is a desync, sometimes I am upset because an item is op, but I do not care because it is not affecting some personal stats which will make people considering me as a bad player. Because my stats do not matter, I play for my team. Last night there were a great tournament where my team has been crushed by another team. I click on the "Tournaments" button and watch the replay of the final, so I can learn from better players. I quickly check the calendar - next tournament in 2 days ! Until this date, we will keep trying to improve the ladder rank of our clan, by playing ranked clan automatch games.

Well, back to real world, I go play Demigod. I try to convince people I am not a newb in order to be able to play an interesting game, because the joining guys see my low games count and do not want to risk their stats by playing with me. When I get a game, I am in a team with two newbies and nobody in the room want to balance teams. I leave, not because I fear for my stats, but because I do not want to waste 20 minutes of my free time to play a one-sided game. And when finally a host do not kick me without a word, I notice that I am in the good team, facing unexperimented players, and that I am just going to waste 20 minutes of my time in a one-sided game.

I am not writing this to whine/cry/ragequit or whatever. And I do not plan on quitting Demigod, because its gameplay is the best. Do not misunderstand me, I just would like to talk about all that.

Many thanks to Stardock and GPG for all they do on Demigod, especially the modding tools they are developing for the community. But aren't we missing the point ?

0 Karma | 10 Replies
November 19, 2009 11:25:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Unfortunately, never going to happen.

November 19, 2009 11:29:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i allways critizized the multiplayer aspects, namingly the missing features like temaed auto matches. but even the lack of a chatroom in the games selection screen i think is bad. yeah i know, you could open the general chat room window. but you see only people that did the same and usually no one does it.

an automatic chat for everyone would help to communicate before you enter a game. all are automatically forced to join the chat. of course they may close it or disable it explicitly.

but you are right. most seem to not bother much about this topic.

oh, and like others mentioned before, the friends list is not very usefull as it reports fals online status of friend.

November 19, 2009 11:31:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm totally on the same page.  This is so important to the community that will in turn feed this game.  If this is done properly, it could help anchor this genre in mainstream gaming!

This is actually so important that I would pay to have this as an expansion.  Call it Demigod: The Gods Unite "a community based expansion" and I'll pay for it!  We know this stuff isn't free, but its needed and I think the community at large is willing to pay if the features are there. 

ThanatosESC.

November 19, 2009 5:58:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

theres a #demigodgame irc channel which you can join via impulse. its just not connected to the game itself very well.

November 19, 2009 11:49:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If the game connected you to all the players online waiting, a limbo lobby of sorts a la battle.net, then i think there would be many more games going. As you referred to, there is no set community area soley within demigod, their are partial ones in the forum and on the IRC.

Most people open demigod, look at the custom games screen and see no games they like open, and leave.

What needs to happen is like you suggest darz, but doesn't even haveto be the same commitment. Just force the irc channel as the main screen when you login, or loginto some demigod "portal" which is just a basic chatroom. It would have a button or two on the side to either put you in the que for pantheon, or to choose your custom game, whilst still allowing you to chat in the main portal.

The problem is the lack of a "sense" of a community whne logging into demigod makes it appear much less populated then it actually is.

November 20, 2009 9:43:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kitch45,

What needs to happen is like you suggest darz, but doesn't even haveto be the same commitment. Just force the irc channel as the main screen when you login, or loginto some demigod "portal" which is just a basic chatroom. It would have a button or two on the side to either put you in the que for pantheon, or to choose your custom game, whilst still allowing you to chat in the main portal.

Yes, it would already be a good improvement. At least new players would not feel alone and rejected. But the other issues would still remain.

December 6, 2009 7:35:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kitch45,
If the game connected you to all the players online waiting, a limbo lobby of sorts a la battle.net, then i think there would be many more games going. As you referred to, there is no set community area soley within demigod, their are partial ones in the forum and on the IRC.

This would be great along with a small "news section" that shows the latest journals and maybe community mods.  These are the things they overlooked on this game that prevented greatness.  This game is insane, but has some flaws that really kill it.  The thing is most of the flaws (sans p2p bandwith requirement) seem to be stuff that could easily be fixed.

December 7, 2009 7:19:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Darz4 yesterday was my first day online and you pretty much described it perfectly. Installed game, updated , went for a skirmish match to get the grasp of the game with a random demigod (Regulus) and went online to check things out.

Hosted a comp stomp, which was quite educational thanks to an extremely polite co-player willing to teach things and went on to play tournament, which I could only suppose it was what in other games they call "automatch".

Then while I was trying to figure out what should I buy and do, I started getting team chat messages (in a spam caps lock form) about an exact action order of what I should do accompanied by a bunch of imaginative characterizations of a language invented by 9 year old internet boys which would make even Vinnie Jones cut his eyes out to avoid it.

Unfortunately as someone said in this forum there is no patch for people's attitude, but a smoother transition to the game tricks would help a lot.

I do not know if StarDock can actually add all the things you propose now and to be honest maybe they do not want to focus that much on this game which I do understand it. But in any case Stardock is a company that has shown its respect to the community by actually listening to the forums, so you can hope for these improvements in another of their games in the years to come.

December 7, 2009 4:27:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lets not forget things like vote kick, remake, reconnect etc

December 7, 2009 4:32:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GnomeChomp,
Lets not forget things like vote kick, remake, reconnect etc

Of course not, but I think it is not the priority. I would prefer GPG to develop the multiplayer experience rather than votekick, remake, reconnect, etc.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.