The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Not a Map Editor

By on October 25, 2009 6:07:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here is a test of the Map Editor scripting I've been doing in 3DSMAX. If you combine this with the SCMAP stuff I blather on about before you can create a working map with Creature and AI pathing.

Sample video can be seen at http://67.55.41.251/Demigod/Mapeditor.swf. If someone could properly embed that. It would be make other people life easier.

The scripting is still at PreAlpha stage. For example you have to manually edit the LUA file after export to get portal to work properly. Chain have to be manually added as well as AI groups. But it does make setting up a map easier. (For those confused you have to manually add the entries to the Army chain to make them appear in game.)

Unfortunately since the meshes are held in a GR2 file it still requires Granny as well. And since the Demigod teams has decided to use a custom redirect for their shaders instead of embedding it in the Granny file... or the SCMAP file... or the LUA script, no map will be able to be textured without that shader. Hopefully that feature will be added in the SDK. If anyone has a work around please feel free to post that information. I was hoping to have a map ready for the Mod Manager launch.

Source code is available here to anyone interested in playing with it but to anyone interested in making a map I would suggest waiting for the SDK. As mention above, with out Granny or the SDK you can't do any textures or meshes and the script doesn't work 100% and still require manual editing post export to enable certain features (This may or may not be fixed at a later date.)

To create objects used in the Lua export

http://67.55.41.251/Demigod/Marker.ms

To export the LUA

http://67.55.41.251/Demigod/Exporter.Ms

FAQ

Q. Will this script possibly damage my computer.

A.) Yes quite possible. If your the kind of people that worries about such things I would suggest not downloading. In fact I would suggest not downloading it at all.

Q. Does the script supports Flags

A.) Yes it does. Although you must know the lookup code for the different flags. A drop down menu may or may not be added at a later date.  

Q. I looked at your source code... Do you even know what a function is.

A. Yes I do but I am unable to write them in MaxScript or for that matter in any language. This is the first program I have written (In reality the first program I copied and pasted from several other programs) so when I learn how to write a function I will use it in future programs. Until then copy and pasting the same lines works even if it causes Baby programmer jesus to cry.

Q. Isn't this code completely useless because the Gas Powered Games team enabled a Hash check on start up.

A.) Yes it is completely useless if your using the current build of Demigod. I'd like to thank the programming team for adding that feature. Hopefully the script may be used in future when Mod support is enabled. Currently I am testing this on a older build of the game.

Q.) I don't understand how to get this program running or how to make a map with it.

A.) Don't worry no one does. It's more a piece of sample code for other people then a useable product. Please wait for the SDK.

Q.) There is this map called Clock Tower...

A.) Yessssssssssss the guy who doesn't even know how to use functions is totally going to be able to make a dynamic AI pathing script to make that map work. You don't want to know how many man hours the ugly square box test took. Let's just say that even if I was to make a map it would be less complicated then nearly every map already in the game.

+24 Karma | 6 Replies
October 26, 2009 11:33:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOW.

we are so lucky to have you mrappad, nice work. I hope you will be able to produce atleast one quality map so other players will get some inspiration.

I am myself have no idea how to do it, but seeing you got a map that actualy work make me hopefull.

nice job

October 26, 2009 3:42:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome work, mrappard. I like all the blood on the ground...

October 28, 2009 12:57:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good job!

October 28, 2009 1:11:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

100k $ per map.... :-/

October 28, 2009 1:33:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOW very good job mrappard!

I think we can expect a map from you when modding is available???

October 28, 2009 9:55:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This looks like a very good start, mrappard.  Keep it up!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.