The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

I Just Can't Stand Demigod Anymore

By on October 22, 2009 5:28:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Y'know, between the lack of patches and fixes, the one-sided play, the total lack of thought given by other players on your team, the lag, the low server populations... yup, my last straw. It had its month, but I will no longer try to support this game, and I will no longer play it. To bad... it could have been great.
+23 Karma | 40 Replies
October 23, 2009 3:13:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting Wagnard, reply 19Sadly yes the netcode is horrible.... not good with high latency and or slow bandwith.

This type of game could have worked with those problematic bandwith and League of legend is the proof. I mostly never lag. Only happen if Riot server have a problem (mostly never happen compared to DG).

I'll be nice, and just remind you that Demigod uses a Peer 2 Peer connection system, while LoL and HoN use a Client/Server connection system. Demigod can only run as fast as the slowest computer and internet connection in the game, while LoL and HoN run as fast as the sever allows. Demigod's Netcode is fine and doesn't create any of the latency problems you're experiencing, it's the people in the game.

Quoting morpheas768, reply 8oh yeah.... so the game is perfect in every way right ZehDon?

Hardly; a Team orientated game that launched with no Team Features? A community focused game that launched with no Replays? Pathing that sends my Minions to my enemies via the neartest third world nation? The game has other issues and bugs/quirks, but all games do. None of them are close to being as bad as the morons on the forums like to pretend they are with perhaps the exception of the TB Fire AA one - but that's poor game design rather than a glitch - and frankly I'm sick of hearing "ZOMG HON LOL IS DA BETTAH GAME, ROFLCOPTER, DEMIGOD IS FAILZ, ACCOUNT CANCELLED" bullshit threads.

If you don't like Demigod, don't play it. Nothing mentioned so far in this thread is new, and all of it has been acknowledged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos

October 23, 2009 3:28:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos

OMG synnworld! awesome youtube vid!

from me

October 23, 2009 8:09:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

Quoting synnworld,
reply 12
Just do what I do and play every now and again, I just started playing atlantica online and liking it (yea I'm a ff fan)

I'm a big FF fan so I'm going to check this out.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I still enjoy Demigod, warts and all.  So long as I have the time and can still enjoy playing, I'll be playing.  Hope to see you again further down the road or in another game, void.  Cya!

Just to warn you, when you get to lvl 60ish you'll want to start stabbing yourself playing atlantica online. That's where I burned out both times I played it, same with the people who played with me.

Edit: I did enjoy the game though, but it was enough at that point. =P

October 23, 2009 8:53:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
..between the lack of patches and fixes
Like the patch we recieved two days ago to help deal with PUG Stomping?

by not getting any games full now because they all see pros and noobs where no are, with bugged stats and others?

the patches that introduced new bugs without solving most of the easy to fix bugs we mostly know since beta?

the one-sided play, the total lack of thought given by other players on your team
Dumb people? On the internet? STOP THE PRESS!

the one sided play due to a small community and the lack of mp-feature like teamed amtches, autoteams, matchmaking...

the lag
Get a better internet connection or play with people geographically closer to you.

has nothing todo with that!

Btw the lag is due to terrible NetCode
As you obviously have no understanding of any kind on any level of this issue, please refrain from speaking out of your ass.

you should do what you suggest as i can confirm this and i'm of this bussiness.

the low server populations
I think low sever populations might have to do with the fact that Demigod doesn't use servers.

you know what he ment. but all you seem todo is to jump on such things help you ingoring the facts

edit: some notes to the entcode discussion and p2p. what one mentioned here about p2p that the slowest connection/pc of a player is a bottleneck is only partially right. it is true on a pure p2p network.

firstly, this holds also true for server/host architecture! even if one hosts the game but one has a bad connection to the server the still suffers from it because all players have still to wait for the one to get its datatraffic, synchronization! the only advantage  of a host-server system is that the chancer are higher that all players have a good connection to the server than to each other. on the downside the latency doubles.

there several ways to improve this and as it seems they have been tried. there are players proxied over other players or a server proxie not hosted by one of the players. this, if done properly, should be in most cases enough as there were plenty of game where a player hosted the whole game for 8 players with a connection worse than todays avg inet-connection (e.g. dow 1).

but the main eveidence for bad netcode is the follwoing observation:

it is often to be observed that even a 3v3 with all players from the same country, all with pings under 90, no one proxied, all with sim speed pver 5 you still get lagging and stuttering quite regualary.

i could go more deeper into details but would it make any difference?

October 23, 2009 9:07:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Zehdon wrote: The game has other issues and bugs/quirks, but all games do. None of them are close to being as bad as the morons on the forums like to pretend they are...

Yes, they are bad.  What planet do you live on?  Does everyone there look like this?

The game has been a fiasco from launch.  I give SD credit for trying to make the best of it, but it's a lost cause.  At this point, even the new demigods are meh.

October 23, 2009 9:13:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

not only it has plenty of bugs but instead to finally fix tehm after a year, to add the MUST HAVE multiplayer features, they are working on modding tools, singleplayer improvement and two new demigods that were promised for august. wtf?

and a non working ladder, website features and stats i never saw for a comercial game lasting more than some weeks!

btw. when the hell does the support answer my ticket related to the database error i get everytime when i want to add a palyer note? demigod has also the worst support i ever saw. never thought i would say that, but the topped EA.

October 23, 2009 10:13:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My main point of frustration with Demigod is that some important things would be so easy and fast to fix, like the prices of the unused items or balancing Demigod (skills) by changing the cooldowns/mana costs of the skills. Such changes would merely require changing a few numbers in the proper .lua script (or not?). Also, changing stuff would bring more variety to the game, which would be important to keep players interested.

Yet this seems impossible for GPG to do this in a timely manner, after 6 months there were perhaps 10 balance changes/improvements (if you count each artefact consumable price change extra). It seems that all they got is a few hours of Sorian's time per week and he's almost single-handedly delivering the two new guaranteed Demigods. And I guess that he'd rather work on SupCom2.

GPG should just give us proper mod tools and let the remaining community fix and improve the game themselves.

October 23, 2009 10:32:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems that all they got is a few hours of Sorian's time per week and he's almost single-handedly delivering the two newguaranteed Demigods. And I guess that he'd rather work on SupCom2.

http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-1.html

http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-2.html

Yes, it seems like it, but it most definitely isn't. Judging by how much work is left for the two new Demigods, I'm already convinced that it'll be about another month or more at least before they would be released.

October 23, 2009 1:08:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

not only it has plenty of bugs but instead to finally fix tehm after a year

6 and a half months doesn't equal a year on planet Earth.

October 23, 2009 1:25:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting morpheas768,

i have seen many of your posts Zehdon in the forums and you almost make me think that you are somebody from Stardock/GPG telling us that everything is alright. What makes you the Demigod problems expert?

Your 49 online games?

Now that puts everything in perspective.

October 23, 2009 1:35:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Quoting morpheas768, reply 22

i have seen many of your posts Zehdon in the forums and you almost make me think that you are somebody from Stardock/GPG telling us that everything is alright. What makes you the Demigod problems expert?

Your 49 online games?

Why do people not understand that after the stat reset the games you've played before then don't come up on the player search page? He's played over 80 games, try actually checking his game list.

October 23, 2009 2:28:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,

Quoting Melric, reply 35
Quoting morpheas768, reply 22

Your 49 online games?

Why do people not understand that after the stat reset the games you've played before then don't come up on the player search page? He's played over 80 games, try actually checking his game list.

You must remember not everyone knows that,  and since when does number of games determine ones ability to create analysis? Of course having that experience is always a good thing but it's not a requirement.

October 23, 2009 3:03:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play demigod when I feel like punishing myself. Thankfully I don't  punish myself often.

October 23, 2009 3:24:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

80 games is nothing. That's only one game every few days, of course he doesn't give a shit about the game's problems.

He's probably spent more time on the boards than in the game.

October 23, 2009 3:46:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting synnworld,
You must remember not everyone knows that,[/quote] 

I just think it should be common sense to check a person's list of games to find out how many games they've played.

and since when does number of games determine ones ability to create analysis?

It doesn't. Playing 300+ games doesn't make you any more experienced with major bugs than someone who's played 80+, except they've happened to you more often. It's not as if there are 20 different versions of the invalid gamestate error/exploit.

Quoting obscenitor,

80 games is nothing. That's only one game every few days, of course he doesn't give a shit about the game's problems.
He's probably spent more time on the boards than in the game.

Read above. I only have around 80 games recorded, but I fully recognize and understand the game's problems. What I don't understand is the amount of bitching and raving over a $50 video game, as if people don't have more pressing problems in real life. No, I don't mean that complaining or criticism is a bad thing, but some take it too far.

[quote who="WombSplitter" reply="38" id="2417596"]I play demigod when I feel like punishing myself. Thankfully I don't  punish myself often.

Strange, you'd think posting on the forums of a game you hate would be considered punishment as well. I guess that makes you a masochist.

EDIT: Quote tags. Replies are bolded.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.