The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

the overlay is ruining my life

By on October 20, 2009 2:12:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UPDATE: SINCE WRITING THIS POST, I HAVE TRIED TO PLAY. I POSTED AT 2:30, IT'S NOW 3:30 PM. IN 1 HOUR I HAVE LAGGED OUT OF 4 LOBBIES, KICKED FROM LOBBIES, PEOPLE JOINING / LEAVING MY LOBBY, FATAL ERROR ETC. I HAVE PLAYED 0 GAMES OF DEMI GOD IN 1 HOUR. I START WORK IN A FEW WEEKS, IF IT TAKES 2 HOURS TO FIND 1 GAME, I CANNOT PLAY THIS GAME ANYMORE, I WILL SIMPLY NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO SIT AROUND WAITING FOR A GAME TO HAPPEN.

UPDATE#2: It is now 4:00 PM. 1 hour and 30 minutes trying to find a game. no one will play me. I joined pro games, pug games, noob games. Even had a pre ask to play me with pugs, then they 2nd guessed themselves and decided not to. I am officially the greatest demi god player who has ever lived.

I believe the overlay in general is a step in the right direction for demigod, except it effectively ruins the gameplay experience for good players. Let me explain:

1. hosting games with friends of the same caliber of skill becomes impossible. pre's do not want to play pre's, pug's don't want to play pre's [3on3 game, 2 people know each other, 1 random player] (I get less games, but overall this is positive for the DG community as a whole).

The only time a pre ever wants to play me is when I have 2/3 of my team ready to play. If my team is on, no one wants to play us. If one of my 2 allies is on, everyone messages me wanting to play, so we pick up a random, who proceeds to get merked, and we lose. Most of the time we still end up beating the pre, but the game is more frustrating than it is fun because I have to baby sit whoever is playing with me.

2. I join / host a pug game. No premade in the title. A bunch of 30-60 percent players join. I'm at 84%. If I'm on forces of light, forces of dark complain that the teams are no balanced, so I go to forces of darkness, now forces of light say that forces of darkness is not balanced, so I leave the game or I get kicked.

3. By leaving the game my name is still in the connection window, ends up with me getting a loss with 0 favor points with my favorite demigod / entity "unknown entity." /sarcasm

4. If after all this nonsense you do manage to get a game, one of the following will happen.

4a. connection error

4b. ally drops, enemy farms AI ally

4c. invalid gamestate

4d. enemy rage quits by war rank 4

4e. Ally "has to go" so leaves 3:30 seconds into the game

My games played for oct. 19th are as follows.

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1036823/player/72049/    MY GAME CRASHED

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1036857/player/72049/ PLAYED A PRE WITH 2/3 OF MY PRE

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1036908/player/72049/ REMATCHED THE SAME PRE WITH SAME TEAM BUT WON

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1037620/player/72049/ ENEMY DROPPED EARLY, GAME DIDN'T GO PAST 3 MINUTES

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1037820/player/72049/ Game was fine

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1037911/player/72049/ Enemies rage quit one at a time as the game progressed

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038024/player/72049/ PHANTOM LOSS - Did not play this game

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038035/player/72049/ 1 Enemy rage quit early

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038152/player/72049/ Normal game

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038422/player/72049/ GOT SO DESPERATE I TRIED PANTHEON, ALLY GOT HIT WITH HEAVENS WRATH. PROCEEDS TO TYPE "??????????????????" THEN RAGE QUITS. N/A

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038503/player/72049/ PHANTOM LOSS, DID NOT PLAY THIS GAME

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038533/player/72049/ Game did not crash, but because of percentages, we were given an oak player who did not use shield, surge of faith, justice, and died 9x. I was level 15, enemy was level 10 across the board..... still lost. AT LEAST THE TEAMS WERE BALANCED WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038699/player/72049/ Normal game, but after 14 minutes they all conceded.

Technically this date represents 2 days of play, Late night session, and a day session.

I'm finding it harder and harder to want to play. But the fun of an ACTUAL GAME keeps bringing me back.

If the teams are not stacked against me, I have no chance in finding a game.

It's not that I don't like a challenge, but oak's who fight 4v1 and beasts who buy more mana helms than HP and proceed to chase people past towers does not make for a fun experience.

+10 Karma | 31 Replies
October 20, 2009 2:17:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038422/player/72049/ GOT SO DESPERATE I TRIED PANTHEON, ALLY GOT HIT WITH HEAVENS WRATH. PROCEEDS TO TYPE "??????????????????" THEN RAGE QUITS. N/A

Lolz0rs.

October 20, 2009 3:11:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LMAO

Welcome to my world!

October 20, 2009 3:35:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well hopefully after enough gaming drought the pre's will just buckle down and play other pre's.  They can take a screenshot of their once leet win % and print it out and keep it tucked under their pillow to help them sleep at night.  I know that's what I do with mine.

October 20, 2009 3:42:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mine's laminated, and I keep it in my pocket protector so I can show the ladies at the bar.

Showing the ladies your win percentage is liking going pre vs pug with 3 beasts. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

October 20, 2009 3:44:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Make some friends.

October 20, 2009 4:00:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FutileEmotion,
Make some friends.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

For starters my friends list shows people as being online when in fact they arent. If I play with people on my friends list im automatically considered a "pre" even if I've never played with them before. People called me and kalel / pacov a pre and it was my first game with them. What a joke.

I took the time to host my own 3v3 premade league. Not a single team showed up besides my own. I can't join other peoples games, no one will join my games, and no one will join a tournament that I am willing to throw. I am so good I have been banned by the community.

October 20, 2009 4:28:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting playgroundlegend,

Quoting FutileEmotion, reply 5Make some friends.

For starters my friends list shows people as being online when in fact they arent. If I play with people on my friends list im automatically considered a "pre" even if I've never played with them before. People called me and kalel / pacov a pre and it was my first game with them. What a joke.

ya.. apparently I show up as online to a lot of ppl when I'm offline as well...

I have the same problem, and I don't think I can play this game anymore.  "OH SHIT YOUR #1, teams are unbalanced".. I've been kicked out of premade lobbies.. I've hosted pugs that take 30 minutes to merely crash because 6 ppl instantly join wanting to be on my team, everyone is over 300 games played and 60% wins, and the bottom team drops out immediately.  Then 10 people join and quit, join and quit, join and quit, join and quit.

Same thing playground said.. ppl want balanced teams, but they want them balanced in their favor.  I recall a recent game, someone came in to a premade lobby alone, and asked for balanced teams.  So.. pacov dropped down and the person left.  Why? Probably because 2 parts of the premade were still on the other team.  You're never going to find balance by asking a 3 man premade to split up in a lobby.. but you WILL find balance by bringing in your own premade.

Oh, then the fact that almost all of the veterans of this game don't play anymore... 2-3 nights ago, every game in the lobby was "under 300 games played" "noobs only" "all welcome <40% win" .. SWEET, all noobs in the lobby.. brand new people to the game.  So I host a game.. nobody stays.. then 30 minutes later, game is full but as I close one last slot, the lobby crashes.  Then I wait another hour sitting ... getting no game in.

Edit:  I forgot to make a reference to Futile's post.. :  We have friends.. we play together in premades often.  Yet we struggle oh so hard to find other premades willing to play, or pugs for that matter.

October 20, 2009 4:31:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, we need to get usedcondoms vent server more popular (But still under 20 people) and we can do some more games like that...

THat way you get to play with friends, and we can ALL be on vent, making the game BALANCED!

LOL

DaBRUM

October 20, 2009 4:54:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reading this thread reminds me of everything I went through.  It shows that this game is really a fun game and lots of people are willing to wait long time for a game.  I would sit in lobbys for countless minutes.  sometimes I alt tab to surf the internet, sometimes I surf on another notebook.  Games don't get started, crashes, no one joins, or someone ragequits in a few minutes.

There's really nothing stardock/gpg can do.  The multiplayer engine is set in stone.   Hopefully 2 new demigods will double the current playerbase which might help with finding games.

October 20, 2009 5:30:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well that is really sad playgroundlegend

I really hope u continue to play if u can

October 20, 2009 5:40:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3. By leaving the game my name is still in the connection window, ends up with me getting a loss with 0 favor points with my favorite demigod / entity "unknown entity." /sarcasm
http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038024/player/72049/ PHANTOM LOSS - Did not play this game

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1038503/player/72049/ PHANTOM LOSS, DID NOT PLAY THIS GAME

If over time that decreases your win%, this could cure your problems.  Granted, looking at your record, you'll need to 'lose' around 200 games this way.

Also, have you considered opening a new account? (Although then you may have hard time convincing experienced players to play you).

October 20, 2009 5:50:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting sparky2015,

quoting post

If over time that decreases your win%, this could cure your problems.  Granted, looking at your record, you'll need to 'lose' around 200 games this way.

Also, have you considered opening a new account? (Although then you may have hard time convincing experienced players to play you).

lol yeah

I might just host games for 3 minutes, give free wins, then repeat. That could work too

October 20, 2009 6:16:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, if you guys ever catch me hosting a game, I welcome everybody. Cookies are provided.

October 20, 2009 11:08:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, we need to get usedcondoms vent server more popular (But still under 20 people) and we can do some more games like that...

what about the public vent server? It may just be me but ill play against a pre or pro team as long as one or more of my team mates is 1) pro 2) on vent

October 21, 2009 12:03:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know what you mean. While I am miles farther down the ladder from where you are, people will still leave almost all the games that I host with my friends. There is nothing else Stardock can do...people need to just quit being so OCD about win rates. Hopefully Ready to Play can solve some of these issues....Demigod is just so fun when I actually get to play it, I just wish people would do the game instead of lobby stacking and then quiting, etc.

October 21, 2009 3:08:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FutileEmotion, tshughes, and I have basically already left.  Tim and I took about 30+ minutes to get a game today, and that was with just the two of us on.

I'd like to thank Kalel and Obscenitor for coming into the lobby, having a random teamate with 450+ games and an 83% win percentage, and leaving rather then play tim, myself, and a random with a 60% win percentage who was playing TB.  Of course, we all know that kalel is a pansy ass who hates to play fair games.

It's too hard to get a game now, and when you do, it's got such good odds of just disconnecting out.  It's been very refreshing to play different games and, you know, just get a game going.  With how busy I am with school and everything else this year, to waste 40 minutes just to get a mediocre game going isn't worth it anymore.  Yay for the pugs, but for the pros, the overlay basically killed the game.

October 21, 2009 4:08:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

Quoting playgroundlegend, reply 6
Quoting FutileEmotion, reply 5Make some friends.

ya.. apparently I show up as online to a lot of ppl when I'm offline as well...

I have the same problem, and I don't think I can play this game anymore.  "OH SHIT YOUR #1, teams are unbalanced".. I've been kicked out of premade lobbies.. I've hosted pugs that take 30 minutes to merely crash because 6 ppl instantly join wanting to be on my team, everyone is over 300 games played and 60% wins, and the bottom team drops out immediately.  Then 10 people join and quit, join and quit, join and quit, join and quit.

Same thing playground said.. ppl want balanced teams, but they want them balanced in their favor.  I recall a recent game, someone came in to a premade lobby alone, and asked for balanced teams.  So.. pacov dropped down and the person left.  Why? Probably because 2 parts of the premade were still on the other team.  You're never going to find balance by asking a 3 man premade to split up in a lobby.. but you WILL find balance by bringing in your own premade.

Oh, then the fact that almost all of the veterans of this game don't play anymore... 2-3 nights ago, every game in the lobby was "under 300 games played" "noobs only" "all welcome <40% win" .. SWEET, all noobs in the lobby.. brand new people to the game.  So I host a game.. nobody stays.. then 30 minutes later, game is full but as I close one last slot, the lobby crashes.  Then I wait another hour sitting ... getting no game in.

Edit:  I forgot to make a reference to Futile's post.. :  We have friends.. we play together in premades often.  Yet we struggle oh so hard to find other premades willing to play, or pugs for that matter.

Actually I joined a game you made just to see that you werent even in there, so I left lol.

October 21, 2009 10:25:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have the same problems as you playgroundlegend.

So i want to say;

Until now all games i have hosted are titled "XvX EU - No Noobs" . Usually when a noob joins, i ask him polite to leave and join a "new players" or a "noobs only" game. If they dont leave i ask them again, and if they still wont leave then i kick them.

I try to balance my games within some limits ofc, because sometimes there just arent any really good players.

Lately i have attemted to play a lot of balanced games with no luck. Nobody wants to play against me because of the Overlay. Always at least 1 of the things that playgroundlegend listed would occur and i would end up sitting in the forever waiting lobby being bored my ass out. And premades are really happy to play against me only when at least 1 inexperienced or new player is in my team.

So from now on, my games will be titled "XvX EU - ALL WELCOME". Yes thats right all welcome.

i will try to balance as much as i can but if noobs join i wont ask them to leave.

TO THE COMMUNITY;

You can talk all kind of crap you want about me (Noob Stomper, idiot, Fag etc). i WILL NOT stop playing Demigod because of the stupid Overlay thing. I will not wait 2 hours and 15 minutes to get a decent game like yesterday, only to get frustrated and stop playing.

I prefer to play 1 game with noobs than not playing at all.

October 21, 2009 12:13:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting morpheas768,
I prefer to play 1 game with noobs than not playing at all.

QFT

October 21, 2009 7:56:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol you think you got a problem, try the aussie community, total population of like 20 ppl.

i have rank approx 100-150 atm, and every game i join i get similar results to you - someone posts teams are unbalanced and everyone refuses to start the game until A) i leave or one of maybe three other of the high ranked community players joins (hats off to gunblob as he is often plays the balancing act, but now my games pretty much rely on him being online.....). And this is when i am playing PUG, dont get me started about trying to play with my ONE mate as a premade in a 2v2/3v3 (not enough ppl around for 4v4 usually). Note that playing US or EU premades is not an option, as someones ping is always above the threshold of 350-400.

I really like this game and i am going to stick around and see what impact the new demis have, however, i doubt, with things the way they are, that i will be here for much longer.

While the overlay is nice, TBH i think that we would be better off as a community without it.

October 22, 2009 9:59:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The overlay isn't a problem.   It's just information.   You can't justify keeping information from people who, if they had the information, wouldn't want to play with you.

Its supply and demand.  The results from the overlay show that (1) most PUG players don't want to face teammates who are highly ranked and have high familiarity with each other and (2) there aren't enough highly skilled teams that want/can face other. 

You can interpret that as the community sucks.  Or you could interpret that as games where there are highly skilled preformed teams on one side, and random PUGs on the other side, lead to dissatisfying games (read: curbstomps) for people on the losing end. 

My own thought is that people are too timid, but if you are PUGing, you have a better chance of a fair fight if you are with all PUGers than against a team with high familiarity and win %s.  My other thought is that, unfortunately, there aren't enough "premade" teams in the community, because the multiplayer options in the game are stunted and have been since inception.   

October 22, 2009 11:24:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jomungur,
The overlay isn't a problem.   It's just information.   You can't justify keeping information from people who, if they had the information, wouldn't want to play with you.

Its supply and demand.  The results from the overlay show that (1) most PUG players don't want to face teammates who are highly ranked and have high familiarity with each other and (2) there aren't enough highly skilled teams that want/can face other.

^Exactly.

October 22, 2009 4:43:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jomungur,

no, most puggers don't want to face ppl who have a high win % + high number of games period.  Regardless of familiarity.  Unless that person has someone on their team who is 10 games 0% wins to "balance teams".  The high win % doesn't mean we're amazing.  It just means no one wants to face us.  imo, after a certain point in this game, the skill level caps off.  Sure, there are interesting tricks to pull.. and strategies blah blah blah.. but if you know the following you're on equal footing with that 85% wins 1000 games played guy / team:

1.) Know each demigod and the abilities they have.  Know different builds and spot them early so you know what to expect.  Plan accordingly.

2.) Know all the gear and what it does.  You should be able to judge roughly what gear your opponent has (i.e. you're getting crit for 2x the guy's aa.. slayer's wraps.  that's 3300g; let's assume he's lvl 7, with no kills - This means he has no helm.. I will win a long fight if I have mana).

3.)  Know how much damage you can do in a given timeframe and how much your opponent can do.  This is key to the "fight or flight"

4.)  Expect sigils, gadgets, caplocks, and teleports.  ALWAYS.  This is a no brainer.  Be wary of traps.. EXPECT them to happen.

5.)  HELP your teammates.  But don't teleport only to serve no purpose.  Let your teammate lure them, then you teleport where they can't run.  This usually takes a little coordination.. but doesn't have to. 

6.)  Don't do stupid shit without a plan.  i.e. Oak running through 2 towers and an enemy flag to try to take enemy portal @ lvl 7.  Stupid idea, unless he thinks he can get away with it AND get out... he needs rank 3 shield, a teleport scroll, and a caplock.. otherwise it's just a dumb idea.

7.)  Situational awareness.  If you're not watching the whole map all the time, you're wrong.  You need to be hovering over enemy and allied demigods to check their health, see what's going on.. this allows you to do the above.

that's it.. those 7 things.. not that hard to do.. simplified.. "know all demigod abilities and items and what they do.  help teammates.  set up your own traps and avoid enemy traps.  Help teammates.  Have a plan before you attack 3 ppl.  Watch the board."  If you can do this, you can easily match up against the 85% win ratio people.  They aren't super amazing, they just know these 7 things.  There is a little strategy beyond this with how to level and maintain warscore advantage.. but mostly it's the above.

October 22, 2009 5:34:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Join my lobbies. Problem solved. I love beating people with 80%+ win just don't exploit the critical error shit like the last two 80%+ people did, left right as there citadel came crumbling down.

October 22, 2009 8:38:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no, most puggers don't want to face ppl who have a high win % + high number of games period.  Regardless of familiarity.  Unless that person has someone on their team who is 10 games 0% wins to "balance teams".  The high win % doesn't mean we're amazing.  It just means no one wants to face us.  imo, after a certain point in this game, the skill level caps off.  Sure, there are interesting tricks to pull.. and strategies blah blah blah.. but if you know the following you're on equal footing with that 85% wins 1000 games played guy / team:

This.

You can interpret that as the community sucks.  Or you could interpret that as games where there are highly skilled preformed teams on one side, and random PUGs on the other side, lead to dissatisfying games (read: curbstomps) for people on the losing end. 

My own thought is that people are too timid, but if you are PUGing, you have a better chance of a fair fight if you are with all PUGers than against a team with high familiarity and win %s.  My other thought is that, unfortunately, there aren't enough "premade" teams in the community, because the multiplayer options in the game are stunted and have been since inception.   

I understand what you are trying to say, however, i disagree. I PUG alot, more than i play premade, and i find it very difficult to get a game the majority of the time for no other reason than ppl looking at % win and they leave lobbies.

Unless that person has someone on their team who is 10 games 0% wins to "balance teams". <-- this is pretty much what it come down to, which i dont mind every second or third game but as is it is starting to get frustrating for reasons in the OP (ie. It's not that I don't like a challenge, but oak's who fight 4v1 and beasts who buy more mana helms than HP and proceed to chase people past towers does not make for a fun experience).

Additionally, there is no reason for ppl to not get better anymore. We now have replays that allow you to watch EVERY move that a demigod makes in a round, every item purchase, every citadel purchase, the use of skills, builds etc. Wouldnt this make you want to go against better players? i know that if i lose i ALWAYS save replay and watch what went wrong.

Now dont get me wrong the overlay would be a very nice feature.... if we had a community big enough that the vets could play against vets on a regular basis and the noobs could learn playing with other noobs. however, with the state of the game as it is, i feel like it has split the tiny community we have. I think that if you want to detect premade thats fine and the overlay illustrating farmiliarity is a nice touch and prevents SOME of the noob stomping, but the % win and games played is game breaking. If you really want to let players know approximately how good they are in comparision to others it would be alot more efficient if the overlay simply stated the order of skill levels with a simple number system...

ie. a game consisting of 4 different players, 2 vets +100 games, and 2 noobs <100 games:

1. vet A

2. Vet B

3. Noob B

4. Noob A

We would then be able to balance teams in the same way that we do now, but it wouldnt involve a subjective number that really means nothing. Hell you can get your % wins up by just playing AI on panth if you want to....

anyway my rant over, i am going to go and sit in a lobby and hope that someone connects...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.