The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod v1.19 gets updated

By on October 14, 2009 5:43:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

As some may recall, back in August we decided that v1.2 was going to be a much bigger project than originally believed and thus would be released in parts.

Those parts included (but were not limited to):

• Replays
  • New AI options
  • In-lobby stats
  • Balance tweaks
  • Modding
  • Various bug fixes

Since then, the replays have been added, there’s been various balance tweaks, various bug fixes and today the in-lobby stats have been added.

That still leaves quite a bit of work left to be done before we’re ready to call it v1.2 – and that’s not including the two Demigods in development.  Modding still needs to be finished, the modding SDK is still in the works, there’s some balance and bug fixes that have been requested. Gas Powered Games is working on all of them and then some.

We have internally a beta with the new demigods but they are works in progress.  GPG is hard at work perfecting them.

In the meantime, I’m pleased to show the new Demigod in-game overlay with the stats.  Developed by Stardock, the Demigod in-game overay is designed to let us extend the in-game experience without having to change the actual game itself. To do this, I asked the WindowBlinds team to find a way to inject what would become the overlay into the game and then skin it so that it visually was compatible with Demigod. It’s not actually part of Demigod but looks like it.

Then, I asked my lead engine developer on Elemental to work with the Impulse team to get data about each player and display it inside Demigod as if it were part of the game natively.  The result is pretty cool I think and something that I think can be used on future games.

The overlay for gamers…

As a gamer, the overlay has some pretty significant benefits. 

First, you can make far more balanced teams online because you can see the winning percentages and number of games played. 

Second, you can tell what % of games a person completes. We make no judgment over why someone leaves a game early, only what % of the time it happens.

Third, you can see how familiar the players are with other players – how many of their recent games  have been played with other people in the game. This is a big deal since many players get frustrated to be randomly put together on one team and be facing 2 or 3 guys who are up on ventrillo as a pre-made team.

And last, you can read notes you  make on the player. You can enter notes about a player by clicking either on their profile on the Demigod forums OR going to the pantheon.  I make notes by going to the pantheon, finding my games and then making notes from there.

Screenshots:

If you click on the player info area in the lobby you will see this window come up.

If you click on the info button, you can see the stats on that player as well as how familiar they are with the other players and any notes you might have made.

From the Pantheon, you can look for yourself and games you’ve played and make notes on players for future reference.

The last tab on a player is where you can enter notes that you can then view in game for future reference.

We hope you guys like this update as much as we enjoyed making it.  I don’t have ETAs on the next updates yet but I am in regular contact with Gas Powered Games and new builds come into our internal QA process every few days.

Have fun!

Locked Post 37 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2009 5:52:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for another update, Froggy!

October 14, 2009 5:53:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still looking forward to the rest of 1.2 and the new guys.

October 14, 2009 5:53:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank You!

October 14, 2009 6:29:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Frogboy!!

October 14, 2009 7:09:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update. I do really like the new overlay

October 14, 2009 7:10:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent work!

October 14, 2009 7:10:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How exactly is familiarity calculated?

October 14, 2009 7:18:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

would be nice if you get the "notes" function on your site to work. tried it since a week and allways when i try to send a note for some player it says in red "Unable to add note due to database error. Please try again later.".

October 14, 2009 7:20:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tperge,

If I had to GUESS.

Amount of Games Played With Player X / Total Games

October 14, 2009 7:24:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
would be nice if you get the "notes" function on your site to work. tried it since a week and allways when i try to send a note for some player it says in red "Unable to add note due to database error. Please try again later.".

Working fine here

Btw. regarding the notes: it would be nice to have some visual indicator in the "Player info..." list, that there is a Note present for a gamer. Currently you always have to open up the info of every player in order to make sure you don't have a player in your game, that you specifically marked as a quitter or rude person etc., which is a bit tedious (but of course still much better than not having such a feature at all ).

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting tperge, reply 7How exactly is familiarity calculated?
If I had to GUESS.

It's not that simple. The familiarity value is equal for both players involved. And that wouldn't be possible if it was simply 'Amount of Games Played With Player X / Total Games'.

October 14, 2009 8:23:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Above and beyond -- thanks Frogboy and Stardock!

October 14, 2009 8:27:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome, thanks Frogboy!

October 14, 2009 8:33:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does the overlay increase the bandwidth requirements???  Seems slower for me to connect.  Is it possible to disable it?

October 14, 2009 8:36:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,

Might want to make a post in problem reports... first I've heard of anyone having an issue...

October 14, 2009 8:57:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting CelMare, reply 8would be nice if you get the "notes" function on your site to work. tried it since a week and allways when i try to send a note for some player it says in red "Unable to add note due to database error. Please try again later.".

Working fine here

Btw. regarding the notes: it would be nice to have some visual indicator in the "Player info..." list, that there is a Note present for a gamer. Currently you always have to open up the info of every player in order to make sure you don't have a player in your game, that you specifically marked as a quitter or rude person etc., which is a bit tedious (but of course still much better than not having such a feature at all ).

Quoting Polynomial, reply 9
Quoting tperge, reply 7How exactly is familiarity calculated?
If I had to GUESS.

Amount of Games Played With Player X / Total GamesIt's not that simple. The familiarity value is equal for both players involved. And that wouldn't be possible if it was simply 'Amount of Games Played With Player X / Total Games'.

I can't think of a formula off the top of my head that would make it so player familiarity is the same on both sides.

October 14, 2009 9:20:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like the overlay. really cool that thing though i have one question: today i had a player in my team with 45 disconnects of 104 total games. the overlay said games finished 93%. how do you calculate that number? i mean its ok if you take the last x games but the number would still be wrong. i looked at his stats and he disconnects really quite often!

October 14, 2009 9:25:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting tperge,
reply 7

If I had to GUESS.

I figured that much...  I guess what im asking is how far back does it look.  All games? The last 20?

October 15, 2009 12:50:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So am trying to get a game going. I started a 4v4 with one of my friends (currently it lists us as playing together 50% of the time which is not true, but I guess it is new data). We get a full group together and then the other team starts wanting me to kick someone because he is a noob and when I don't they leave. It has been 30 minutes and I have yet to get a game going. This patch is not fixing the game, it is plugging holes in bad game design and exposing more bad game design.

October 15, 2009 1:07:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, Stardock can't release a patch for human stupidity regardless of how much we'd like them to.

October 15, 2009 1:16:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes, but this patch brought out the human stupidity.

October 15, 2009 3:40:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Finally its here, wished it was out 2 days earlier, since i dropped 30k in rank from facing several premades . Keep up the good work guys, cant wait for the new demigods.

October 15, 2009 3:52:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
I can't think of a formula off the top of my head that would make it so player familiarity is the same on both sides.
Well a simple one would be (Amount of Games Played by Player X with Player Y / Total Games of Player X + Amount of Games Played by Player y with Player Y / Total Games of Player Y) / 2

October 15, 2009 5:01:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bullshit. Now i only can face equal players. Ofc i like that, but it is kinda bad, that theres only a small group of 15 players who are equal to me. So i cant play whenever i want. Thank you.

October 15, 2009 5:44:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting CelMare, reply 8would be nice if you get the "notes" function on your site to work. tried it since a week and allways when i try to send a note for some player it says in red "Unable to add note due to database error. Please try again later.".

Working fine here

wtf? i have same error on 3 different pcs, two different os, 4 different browser. it ALLWAYS says the database error. never worked and still it doesn't. well i open a new topic for that.

October 15, 2009 7:47:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In general, the overlay is working great.  I played two awesomely excellent games yesterday because the host specifically wanted to balance teams.  In our second game, there was a total noob on each team paired with 2 relatively experienced players.  It was actually a blast, and I think the noobs learned a lot from it.

I don't think strong players are "locked out" because of the overlay - as long as teams are matched for relative experience, it shouldn't be a problem.

I also appreciate that the overlay now shows total games accurately (since first starting to play DG, not just since stats update).  The most useful statistic, IMO.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.