The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Video: PC Gamer schools Stardock at Demigod

By on September 2, 2009 4:13:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Yesterday Stardock and PC Gamer played a best of 3 series of Demigod where PC Gamer trounced us both games.  The video above was taken at the Stardock offices so you could see what was happening on our end.

So what happened?

The PC Gamer team, made up of editor Dan Stapleton, Evan Lahti, and Norman Chan (also at Maximum PC) displayed a level of expertise that I must confess blew us away. 

Their strategy was to control the map from the outset through flag locks.  This requires spending money on flag locks early but allows them to use teamwork (with teleportation scrolls) to pick the place and time of any serious confrontation. 

Our counter-strategy,which failed, was to try to control the life flag with 2 Demigods with our third protecting the tower on the other side while we slowly built up.  Our strategy was predicated on not getting killed and staying conservative for the early part.

But here’s where things fell apart for us: The PC Gamer team, with Dan as the Vampire Lord, Norman as Unclean Best and Evan as Oak worked as a single tactical unit which was far more flexible than our brute force strategy. Because they controlled the flags, any time we thought we had one of them on the run, the other two would quickly teleport in. One in front of us and one behind us. Then, Erebus, using his teleportation, would position himself to do a stun, Unclean beast could suck out the life, and then Oak would do the same.

A typical example would be where our 2-man team pushing on the life flag side would belief we had Unclean Beast cornered. He would begin to back off and our 20 man team would go to follow for the kill. Erebus and Oak would teleport in with Oak shielding Unclean beast, Erebus stunning us and Unclean best turning around and starting to do serious damage. then Oak and Erebus would cut off our escape. If we were lucky, we would escape the field to recharge ceding control of the map for crucial moments. All too often, however, one of us would die.

The number of times the PC Gamer team was able to coordinate a tactical push was impressive. By contrast, our team was focused on a global strategy.  My Erebus was focused not on stun but bite and minions and thus not much of an asset on team-based tactical exchanges.

The result were 2 losses to the PC Gamer team.  It was a total blast though and a lot of fun was had by all.

Locked Post 24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 2, 2009 4:37:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great to read the writeup.  Sounds a lot like they were practicing - the problem they had against us was that they couldn't stay in early, so they were breaking even on map control and spending a lot to do it.

September 2, 2009 5:33:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was hoping to see a full video of the game captured directly from one of the players monitors :-/

hard to see whats going on

September 2, 2009 5:33:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All in All look's like that was a Damn Fun Game.

September 2, 2009 5:44:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think this is what is meant by replays in 1.2.  Guy with camera taping.  hehe.  I kid (but couldn't resist)

September 2, 2009 6:17:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy. You bought Vinling Helmet. That item is useless! =P

September 2, 2009 8:26:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im surprised none of you used the ~ hp bars

September 2, 2009 10:54:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

jeez man, staggering stuns is such a common tactic at this point, I'm surprised you got done in by that.

September 2, 2009 11:49:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DON'T BE A HERO LEO!

DON'T BE A HERO.

September 3, 2009 2:10:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

imho, flag locks needs a slight nerf.  Either increase cost or increase time it takes to lock a flag.

Or how about no flag locking allowed after a teleport, put flag lock and teleport scroll on the same timer.

September 3, 2009 6:32:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would have gone for creeps and xp upgrades at the cita to counter there supirior locking, instead of things like 4k rings or 3.3k useless helms.

Mabey you did buy the upgrades, but you didnt buy any creeps for as far as i could see.

September 3, 2009 12:32:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nerf flag locking

September 3, 2009 12:37:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Considering the other side controlled both creep paths, I somehow don't think feeding them more xp would have helped.

September 3, 2009 1:19:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh come on, stop it with the nerf requests. This thread is not for this. Anyways looks like PC Gamer really knows it's Demigod. It's nice you guys had fun.

September 3, 2009 1:45:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i noticed something a bit odd about norms games list.

September 3, 2009 5:51:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think what you noticed is that you have a weird sense of humor re: naming games and that none of the rest of us complained enough for you to change them?

September 3, 2009 6:51:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CEO reading description of items in shop before picking the  most useless one........... No wonder this game is such a mess.

But seriusly u could pick at least one level of Erebus stun, just to stop them from teleporting or locking, I cant imagine playing character without stun ability and denying urself using it it's just hmmmm......... weird.

September 3, 2009 8:17:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kitch45,
DON'T BE A HERO LEO!

DON'T BE A HERO.

My fav thing!

September 3, 2009 9:04:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh sheesh Irek, Frogboy has only played 47 games (at least under that moniker).  Just cause they are the publisher doesn't make them pro's! lol. 

Love the shirt Frogboy, that's aweseome!

September 3, 2009 9:07:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh one thing i do recommend Stardock, you need to increase your level of communication

September 4, 2009 11:06:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting wraid,
Oh come on, stop it with the nerf requests. This thread is not for this. Anyways looks like PC Gamer really knows it's Demigod. It's nice you guys had fun.

If I'm being serious, you'll know.

Quoting pacov,

Quoting kitch45, reply 8DON'T BE A HERO LEO!

DON'T BE A HERO.

My fav thing!

Yep, that made my day too.

September 4, 2009 6:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GOD DAMMIT LEO!!

September 10, 2009 1:22:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting irek1988,
CEO reading description of items in shop before picking the  most useless one........... No wonder this game is such a mess.

But seriusly u could pick at least one level of Erebus stun, just to stop them from teleporting or locking, I cant imagine playing character without stun ability and denying urself using it it's just hmmmm......... weird.

You clearly have no idea of the difference on roles in a company between a CEO and  a Game Designer.

September 12, 2009 11:30:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kitch45,
DON'T BE A HERO LEO!

DON'T BE A HERO.

Pretty much every night when we're playing with him, this is uttered at least once...to no avail

September 12, 2009 11:31:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

double posted. my bad

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.