The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

CPU and GPU heat: Edited

By on July 15, 2009 12:13:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Recently, my mother managed to freeze my gaming PC while doing nothing but shopping for shoes online. Having experienced problems in the past with overworked parts, I played it safe and shut the rig down, refusing to boot it back up until morning when I could deal with it. My first guess (mostly out of panic, again, from past experiences) was that cat hair had gotten into the fans and was causing overheating issues. Most likely it was just a random Windows XP bug, but I wanted to be sure. Ultimately, I ended up testing the rig's temperature, which is a stable 50 C when idle. Speed Fan shows a green checkmark on 49- C for both the GPU and the CPU, but as soon as it hits fifty, replaces said checkmark with a roaring inferno, easily enough to spark my paranoia.

Anyways, I found this odd for two reasons:

A: I hadn't expected a Dual Core 2200 and GeForce 9600  get this hot at normal, non-overclocked speeds.

C: I had always assumed safety unless you start hitting 65+ degrees. Is it supposed to be substantially less than 50? If not, why the hell is that fire there on speedfan?

So my question is, does anyone else find this to be odd/unnerving?

Edit: It does not idle and game at the same temperature, as previously thought. My speedfan was glitching out.

+24 Karma | 22 Replies
July 15, 2009 12:23:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well if you like to experiment with overclocking this might happend, check your fan (Is it correctly installed?) If it's not one with the proccessor it might get unstabile.

My alarm is at 65+ degree and it usually is at 50% gaming or not.

Intel Sys fans are not much fun to install, they have theese 4 drill pins you need to twist down in your motherboard which can be a mess if your not careful. Most likely one of theese pins are not where it's suppose to be.

July 15, 2009 12:31:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

that is most definantly odd.  to be on the safe side you should prbable shut it down and use some canned air to clear away the dust and dibry.  And as long as its not getting close to 60 degrees it should be fine.

July 15, 2009 12:32:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually bought a seperate heatsink, trying to find the make. Also, now that I've taken off the side of the casing to inspect, it's actually running cooler. (46 on both Core and GPU atm) I think it might be an issue with my case (admittedly a cheap $19.95 hunk of worthless metal), but I'm not entirely certain.

July 16, 2009 7:28:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ntel Sys fans are not much fun to install, they have theese 4 drill pins you need to twist down in your motherboard which can be a mess if your not careful. Most likely one of theese pins are not where it's suppose to be.

Everytime i clean my CPU heatsink, one of those pins is loose, causing the computer to shutdown automatically straight after booting windows. Having the heatsink unfastened should increase the CPU temperature well beyond 65 C, and that is ...unhealthy for the the processor.

And my computer has a case that was designed for a 1.1 GHz Celeron, so i have to keep it open to prevent my C2D + 9600GT from melting

July 16, 2009 7:37:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pseudolemon
Recently, my mother managed to freeze my gaming PC while doing nothing but shopping for shoes online. Having experienced problems in the past with overworked parts, I played it safe and shut the rig down, refusing to boot it back up until morning when I could deal with it. My first guess (mostly out of panic, again, from past experiences) was that cat hair had gotten into the fans and was causing overheating issues. Most likely it was just a random Windows XP bug, but I wanted to be sure. Ultimately, I ended up testing the rig's temperature, which is a stable 50 C when idle. Speed Fan shows a green checkmark on 49- C for both the GPU and the CPU, but as soon as it hits fifty, replaces said checkmark with a roaring inferno, easily enough to spark my paranoia.
It's only paranoia . SpeedFan's default "warning" setting for each temperature is 50°C, regardless of what the temperature actually represents.

pseudolemon
C: I had always assumed safety unless you start hitting 65+ degrees. Is it supposed to be substantially less than 50? If not, why the hell is that fire there on speedfan?

So my question is, does anyone else find this to be odd/unnerving?
The core temperature (Core0, Core1 in speedfan) shouldn't go over 60, but you are right, under 65° should be fine too. The GPU can get even hotter.

July 16, 2009 5:15:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Buy extended ATX server cases and you never need to upgrade them to meet the airflow requirements of a hotter desktop pc.

July 16, 2009 5:43:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

speedfan never seemed to work very well for me

i think you have to download settings for your specific motherboard

65°C is the normal safety barrier, but it varies for every product

50°C at idle sounds crazy hot, I run at 35°C idle, and my cpu is overclocked 40% above factory settings
(Q6600 2.4GHz per core -> 3.2GHz per core)

clean out heatsinks, replace thermal compound, and consider buying a better cooling unit for cpu (you can buy a decent one for £10-15)

July 16, 2009 8:02:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, as it turns out, I never got around to installing an intake fan on this thing. That'll probably help, or it would if there were room for one on the mobo. Is it possible to just mount it to the front of the computer? (i.e., is there usually an outlet for the fan if I take it apart?)

July 16, 2009 11:37:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, as it turns out, I never got around to installing an intake fan on this thing. That'll probably help, or it would if there were room for one on the mobo. Is it possible to just mount it to the front of the computer? (i.e., is there usually an outlet for the fan if I take it apart?)

Intake fans are less essential than exhaust.  No matter what environment/thing you wish to ventilate....static input, provided it is unobstructed and big enough is all that's needed to replenish what's exhausted.

Speedfan has adjustable warning levels...so the 'flame' is typically an 'above-average' notification...and nothing to panic about.  The static/idle temp of 50c is a bit high, though and is symptomatic of poor circulation/extraction/fan speed.  If removing a side panel cools the machine then the case is clearly poorly vented.

At quasi-idle [7 proggies running, music playing, etc] my Lian Li case is handling an i7 processor and GTX285 GPU to 33c and 37c respectively.....info via Speedfan.

Re the inlet fan issue....static [unpowered] replenishment means a larger size portal as the air inlet volume is not 'driven'.  Your side removal cooling the case would indicate poor inlet quality...and thus whatever 'holes' you do have in the case [front] would benefit with a fan.

Or...simply piss-off the cheap case...and get a better one....they cost more for a reason....

July 16, 2009 11:57:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Intake fans are less essential than exhaust. No matter what environment/thing you wish to ventilate....static input, provided it is unobstructed and big enough is all that's needed to replenish what's exhausted.

Speedfan has adjustable warning levels...so the 'flame' is typically an 'above-average' notification...and nothing to panic about. The static/idle temp of 50c is a bit high, though and is symptomatic of poor circulation/extraction/fan speed. If removing a side panel cools the machine then the case is clearly poorly vented.

At quasi-idle [7 proggies running, music playing, etc] my Lian Li case is handling an i7 processor and GTX285 GPU to 33c and 37c respectively.....info via Speedfan.

Re the inlet fan issue....static [unpowered] replenishment means a larger size portal as the air inlet volume is not 'driven'. Your side removal cooling the case would indicate poor inlet quality...and thus whatever 'holes' you do have in the case [front] would benefit with a fan.

Oye...we got to get you off that island for a bit. Could you possibly have made that any harder to understand?

pseudomelon: If there's a hole in the front of the case, put a fuckin' fan in it.

July 17, 2009 12:01:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If there's a hole in the front of the case, put a fuckin' fan in it.

Yes, I guess the 'say-it-with-fewer-words approach' works good, too....

July 17, 2009 12:15:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, I guess the 'say-it-with-fewer-words approach' works good, too....

Contrary to popular belief, it was the sole purpose of the Revolutionary War….

July 18, 2009 2:19:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Are you saying that this has only happened once?

What would make you think it was a temperture issue rather than the operating system freaking out or a driver shitting the bed?

July 19, 2009 8:42:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, it happens every time I boot up the computer. I'm working on fixing it by buying MOAR FANS and a fan controller that usefully splits my single slot on the MoBo into 4 fan slots We'll see what problems happen next, because they always come in waves.

July 19, 2009 9:49:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Contrary to popular belief, it was the sole purpose of the Revolutionary War

Crap....that was just because you couldn't spell 'aluminium' ....

July 20, 2009 2:16:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Contrary to popular belief, it was the sole purpose of the Revolutionary War

Crap....that was just because you couldn't spell 'aluminium' ....

And had trouble saying "Mississippi" with a stiff upper lip and a plum in their mouths.

July 20, 2009 5:27:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting starkers,

And had trouble saying "Mississippi" with a stiff upper lip and a plum in their mouths.

You can say Mississippi WITHOUT a plum in your mouth? *spits out plum*

July 20, 2009 5:56:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ChessLike,

Intel Sys fans are not much fun to install, they have theese 4 drill pins you need to twist down in your motherboard which can be a mess if your not careful. Most likely one of theese pins are not where it's suppose to be.

Not only that, they have a nasty tendency to get stuck aswell, so turning them to take them out you end up near enough having to wrench them out, or unscrew the mobo and poke it out from underneat...Rage inducing

July 20, 2009 9:47:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can say Mississippi WITHOUT a plum in your mouth?

Well the Brits had issues saying it WITH one... stiff upper lip didnt halp any, either.

Guess that's why the tea ended up in Boston harbour... hoping the 'toffee-nosed Brits would go home for their cuppas... and take their plums with them.

July 20, 2009 11:14:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woa! My old 6800GT got as high as 116 degrees Celsius

July 20, 2009 11:24:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"A couple of weeks ago, my PNY 6800GT temperature readings were similar to yours. The core was 80-90C idle and 110+ C under load and ambient was 60C. I thought it couldn't be right because my motherboard was reporting an ambient temp of around 40C. So after dealing with PNY support, they agreed to RMA. BUT....before I was ready to pack it up, I tried moving some wires to improve airflow and I removed the card and "dustbusted" the hell out of the heatsink....now the temps are relatively much, much better: 58C idle/ 68 load. The ambient temp is being reported correctly, too. I guess I should have done that first before trying to RMA.

The funny thing is...I was running with those high temps for a while. Only after reaching the throttle point (120C in my case), did I notice any performance hits....I actually saw the core temp go over 120C but no artifacts showed up in games (Doom3/HL2). Performance was still smooth when the temps were below the threshold, even by a few degrees. Don't let these guys scare you into thinking your card will blow up if it goes over 80C...pffft. "

Just something I found via Google...curious about your heat level....

July 20, 2009 11:30:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I knew a girl who once said her GPU fan was making too much noise, she decided to somehow take the fan off the card so it wouldn't make noise. She turned the PC on and the card burned up in about 3 seconds. I laughed at her, she told me she learnt by trial and error.

I stopped talking to her shortly after. True story.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.