The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Different Use for Favor Points

By on June 25, 2009 1:19:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This has been mentioned elsewhere by Antikid (giving proper credit), but thought I'd create a thread for it for more visability. To be honest, I don't know how feasible this idea is and have doubts it will be implemented, ever. But I still think it's a great idea.

The current system of Favor points is to purchase Favor items that provide concrete advantages. In my opinion, this is a bad use of the Favor points mechanic. This is for two main reasons:

1) Those who play more will likely get more Favor, ending up with more strategic options, and theoretically an advantage over new players and more casual players.

2) The inevitable end result is you will end up having bought all the Favor items you'll need (at the moment, there's no point in even buying more than a handful), and there will be no more use for Favor, until another item comes out. This is a waste for Favor points. Many players pre-1.1 were already reaching the stage where they were no longer buying new favor items because all you really need is Anklet or Blood of the Fallen to be competitive. Other items are arguably gravy. (Please don't argue about individual items, the point remains not all of the current Favor items are worth spending a Favor slot in.)

The proposal is to use Favor points for cosmetic "improvements" to characters. All current Favor items will be free to use for anyone, with only one slot to use the item in anyways. Then Favor points can be used to make your character look different, customized, and/or cooler, by buying unlocks on Demigod looks.

Some cosmetic changes can be a cooler crossbow for Reg, a different staff for TB, different colored mount for Sedna, shield inscriptions for Oak, different variations thereof, etc. You get the idea. I contend that the majority of players play 2-3 of the DGs exclusively, and we get pretty attached to the DGs we play. I think it'd be rewarding to make my TB look cooler on the battlefield with a nice silver staff, fiery cloak, and blue flames while in fire mode.

As I said, this would level the playing field, while still giving incentive to get Favor. Implementation-wise, this would require quite some bit of coding and designing. But, this also would result in more long-term ownership of our characters, which will cause people to play DG for a longer bit of time.

This is actually not even in conflict with the current system of Favor points, and they can be run in parallel as one system, giving the player the option to spend Favor on concrete strategical items, or on cosmetic customization. However, the problem of new-player disadvantage would remain.

Thoughts?

+4 Karma | 32 Replies
June 25, 2009 1:21:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think i deserve some credit for this

boobs extension on queen 25000 favor points!

cool sunglasses on reg    15000

wolf mount for sedna 25000

the favor-items are automatically balanced because u can only take one

so theres nothing that prevents from releasing them

June 25, 2009 1:31:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, funny, I was just looking around the forums for who gave this idea in the first place. I found your original post and came to edit my post and you already found me faster! lol OP edited.

Well, those prices seem a BIT steep, but the idea is the same. I think there should be many types of, say, headgear for Reg, so people can choose cooler sunglasses or nerdy ones, for example.

June 25, 2009 1:38:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Cosmetic changes?  Sure.  I could see that.

Eventually, you'll still have the problem of wasted favor points but I can't really see a way around that while keeping things balanced.

June 25, 2009 2:03:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The models might not have been created in the way that would be good for this, but this has my full support, along with any other cosmetic uses. Maybe changing the color of your name, or maybe some visual effects / auras.

June 25, 2009 2:07:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nah prices nice and steep it only makes it mean more

June 25, 2009 2:22:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I demand a top hat and monocle for Rook.

June 25, 2009 2:25:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want to be able to buy different colors for TB's fire form. Cmon, Neon Green would look sick.

June 25, 2009 2:28:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
I demand a top hat and monocle for Rook.

LOL Awesome. He'd look like Mr. Peanut.

Well, I think it's better to give smaller, incremental rewards, mixed in with large ones. Too long of an interval between rewards is bad and will give people the feeling of unachievable goals. Some stuff 1k favor, some 5k, some 10k, etc.

June 25, 2009 2:29:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Too long of an interval between rewards is bad and will give people the feeling of too steep of a climb.

Especially if there are to be further favor resets.

June 25, 2009 2:30:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want to be able to buy different colors for TB's fire form. Cmon, Neon Green would look sick

God, reminds me of the "GREEN FIRE" petition for Warlocks in WoW back in the day....

June 25, 2009 2:38:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ohhhh, or a kaleidoscope of colors. That'd be sick too. Just changing randomly...

June 25, 2009 2:55:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Mexican hat works for most demigods. Sedna needs a new hair style in my opinion.
June 25, 2009 3:02:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I could definitely get in on this idea  Many MMORPGs these days are offering cash shops which often simply contain cosmetic changes.  Hijacking the idea to use with favor would be awesome

June 25, 2009 3:39:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
I want to be able to buy different colors for TB's fire form. Cmon, Neon Green would look sick.

Psh I want to see when he dies a nuclear explosion.

June 25, 2009 3:55:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

cancel favor points and go rating,the higher the rating,the better items u can get

June 25, 2009 3:57:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I demand a moat for my Rook. Or maybe some stonemasons can come and finally finish those towers on my shoulders.

In all seriousness, this is a great idea!

June 25, 2009 4:58:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/signed

That would be cool. It would actually make me excited about having a ton of favor points that I never thought I'd have to spend. 

They could even keep the current system, but add the "cosmetics" tab to it. That way you can spend your favor on the combat items you need like normal, but if your feeling vain then you can spend your spare favor on some cool outfits .

My rook could have a machine gun tower instead of a lame archer tower. Okay GPG would have to debate their art style for that but I think the game is already silly enough that it could possibly handle an unlockable machine gun tower for the rook haha.

Quoting Antikid,

cool sunglasses on reg    15000

And this!

June 25, 2009 5:23:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

agreed

I think this is a great idea & would be refreshing as each player can customise the look of their own demigod with those extra favour points.

June 25, 2009 5:42:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would like to see erebus with a cane that he wacks people with instead of a mace

June 25, 2009 5:53:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone ever thought of favor items GOTTEN VIA ACHIEVEMENTS?

June 25, 2009 6:55:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh noes!!

I really, really didn't want to go down the whole achievements route.

June 25, 2009 7:10:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

think we gonna have todo it ourselves

some modtools would be nice

June 25, 2009 7:29:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More fun if you have to earn favor, though.

June 26, 2009 12:03:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shameless bump.

June 26, 2009 12:12:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I see this turning into something we'll have to do ourselves, but it would be cooler if you had to earn the new outfits rather than just join a game with the mod on and have all of them available to you. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.