The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod nears its second month

By on June 11, 2009 12:22:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1482

Greetings!

Yesterday, we released the long promised connectivity update.  And the results seem to be very positive.

On Launch day

To illustrate what has happened since the launch day:

Demigod on launch day was a pure peer to peer networking game in which everyone connects to everyone else. This reduces lag since you are talking directly to the other user rather than through a server. 

Developer Gas Powered Games had previously used a program called GPGNet for Supreme Commander. GPGNet is an external program that handled all of the connectivity features for that game.  Unfortunately, it had essentially been retired so it wasn’t an option for Demigod.  To solve that, we licensed a third party solution to take its place.  We won’t dwell on the details of how things went since it’s been covered a great deal.

That put us all in a very difficult position.  The connectivity issues had to be solved (obviously). It also became pretty clear that a largely new system from scratch that was far more robust was needed and needed fast.  So who would develop it? There were four obvious options: Gas Powered Games, Stardock, Atari or Raknet.

If GPG had to develop it, that would take time and resources away from updating the game itself. That would mean fewer new features.  Raknet could do it but it would take time and it’s not “their game”.  Atari is a traditional publisher and it did not make sense to ask them to intervene at the 11th hour.  That left Stardock. Since Stardock develops games and already has a robust networking program (Impulse) it was the logical choice.

So over the last 6 weeks, we have created a new connectivity system.

How it works now

Bob tries to connect to Jill.  If they’ve both set up their routers right, they connect and all is well.

else

Bob and Jill now call what we call CVP (Common Virtual Platform) which now talks to code developed by Stardock to find a way to connect them together.

if that still fails..

Then Bob and Jill will actually connect through a proxy server. I.e. the game becomes quasi-client/server as we host the traffic for them.  To make that work, we had to set up servers in Europe, Australia and North America (for starters).

Then, we had to write software (and license some) that would, based on your IP, give us the player’s latitude and longitude (I kid you not) and then go to the nearest proxy server.

So that’s what was released yesterday.

Ramifications

So the good news is that pretty much anyone can connect to anyone else.  If you still have problems connecting you need to let us know because at this point, we’ve done basically everything that is theoretically possible including making Demigod a hybrid client/server game for players.

If you are currently using /serverproxyonly you can get rid of it now (and should) because it will now likely work in one of the other methods and if all else fails, it’ll still go to the client/server type setup.

Version 1.1

I have in my hands a release candidate from Gas Powered Games for v1.1.

Here are a few things we are looking for in v1.1

• Team concede.  If it looks like you’re going to lose, your team and vote to concede and end the game so you can go to the next.
  • Speed debuffs have a minimum move speed now.
  • Better chat handling for better visibility
  • When you sell a minion idol, existing units are destroyed.
  • Updated computer AI
  • Random Demigod option
  • Bunch of other tweaks, fixes, enhancements.

High on our list is the handling of replays.

The demo version of Demigod is also in our hands based on this same code.  So over the next few days we’ll be going over this.

Locked Post 17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 11, 2009 12:29:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am glad I didn't give up on this game.I have been having great fun playing Demigod.Kudos on making a great game.

June 11, 2009 12:38:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's good to hear that 1.1 and the demo may be closer than people realize. The demo certainly at this stage should bring an infusion of players

June 11, 2009 12:51:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When you sell a minion idol, existing units are destroyed.

Shouldn't it be when you summon more minions the previous ones are destroyed. Like you buy the monk idol and sell it but they dont dissapear until you try to summon the cleric idol. This would keep the early buying/selling of monks a viable option. Seems like a better solution to me.

June 11, 2009 12:54:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is random demigod selection in 1.1?  I remember it was planned or something.

Hope it's still high priority.

June 11, 2009 1:01:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes!

The demo version of Demigod is also in our hands based on this same code

Cool, that will hopefully allow Demigod to boost it's community.

Any news on the new demigods?? If i remember well they were initially planned for the 2 monthes following the launch...

June 11, 2009 1:33:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy likes to show off 5vs5

Although I couldn't see if he had won that one... Maybe he played it today, we'll know tomorrow froggy

Anyways, a lovely update.  Glad to hear about replays!

June 11, 2009 1:33:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow i was expecting a few more weeks, this is good news.

I think frogboy cheats when he plays, gives himself +5 hp regen more, every time he enters his code (=.

June 11, 2009 1:35:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

HEEEEYYYYYY!!!!! This update sucks. We were promised a dressing room for our Demigod so that we could dress them up and style their hair and makeup. I believe this was promised to be implemented by now. Where is that? Huh?

June 11, 2009 1:35:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Team join skirmish option coming soon too?

June 11, 2009 1:37:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweetness, keep up the epic work!  

June 11, 2009 2:12:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why are you going off of latitude/longitude instead of fastest connected-to server? This seems more error-prone? What if you're "closer" to one server but get better connectivity to a server "farther away" ?

June 11, 2009 2:18:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOW,Cant wait for 1.1 version tnx for good work!

June 11, 2009 2:18:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is random demigod selection in 1.1?  I remember it was planned or something.

Hope it's still high priority.

Yep just added it.

June 11, 2009 2:19:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HEEEEYYYYYY!!!!! This update sucks. We were promised a dressing room for our Demigod so that we could dress them up and style their hair and makeup. I believe this was promised to be implemented by now. Where is that? Huh?

LOL.

June 11, 2009 2:20:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tiny and iphire.. heh we know what team lost.

June 11, 2009 2:22:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When you sell a minion idol, existing units are destroyed.

sweet

June 11, 2009 3:15:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Finally some good news all around, so thank you Stardock and Brad for supporting this game.

Now let's see how GPG will support this game in the coming months, after 1.1 Maybe tell them about payable DLCs with demigods and maps (after the free dlc). Or maybe a big expansion.

[qoute who="Frogboy" quoting="post"]Version 1.1
Here are a few things we are looking for in v1.1
Team concede.  If it looks like you’re going to lose, your team and vote to concede and end the game so you can go to the next.[/quote]

About team concede, i don't know if this is already implemented or not, but please make sure there is some kind of protection against spamming with this vote. Maybe a cooldown timer for it (>5 minutes). Think of a situation when a player thinks the game is lost and he initiate the vote for concede. If the other players in his team don't agree with him, there is a great probability that he will either rage quit or spam with the vote dialog.

Also, i don't know if know about these threads, but i recommend you look over and pass those ideas to GPG:

Some ideas for combating rage quitting. It's a compilation of ideas that i've gathered.

Some small fixes that i don't see in this patch (except for the chat fix). Most of them are easy to fix, imo...

Also, are the pathfinding issues addressed in 1.1?

[qoute who="Frogboy" quoting="post"]
If you still have problems connecting you need to let us know because at this point, we’ve done basically everything that is theoretically possible including making Demigod a hybrid client/server game for players.
If you are currently using /serverproxyonly you can get rid of it now (and should) because it will now likely work in one of the other methods and if all else fails, it’ll still go to the client/server type setup.[/quote]

Well, i still can't play anything above 2v2 because of high spikes (you replied in my thread, long time ago), and it's not because of insufficient upload bandwidth. Any progress on this, as it seems i'm not the only one with this problem (though we are few)?

What i don't understand is why i have high spikes even when i force the game to use proxy. In this mode, it should be like a client/server game, right? If my ISP throttled p2p connections (which is not the case, as far as i know), then the proxy acting like a clinet/server system should fix it, but it doesn't.

I could upload my .log file on the "We are here to help" thread, after a match with high spikes, but i don't know if that will help in any way, as i don't crash or anything.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000329   Page Render Time: