The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Small things that would make a big difference

By on April 28, 2009 7:14:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Being able to choose "Random" for your Demigod.

2. Being able to click on enemy Demigods to see their MP and Purchased Items.

+28 Karma | 34 Replies
April 28, 2009 8:38:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Random Demigod would be nice.

Being able to see an enemy's MP and items would not. You shouldn't be able to know EVERYTHING about the enemy, some of it should be left to the fog of war. I think that knowing too much information about your enemies' capabilities, without having to work it out by yourself, make educated guesses, or logically deduce them, softens the game too much.

April 28, 2009 9:01:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with the above and i have some of my own:

3. Clicking on the mini map jumps your camera to that position (i've read this request many times, so it seems fair to post it here)

4. On the mini-map, the demigods in your team have the same color (green) as your troops, and it's hard to see where are your team members are, if they stand in the middle of a friendly creep mob. Same for the enemy demigods, it's hard to see them on the minimap, when they are standing in the middle of red creeps. One solution is to make the demigods icons on the mini-map another color. One example of the problem:

5. When you die, make it so that you can click and see all the menus (like the skill tree, shop inventory, etc). Only for showing purposes, you can't modify your skills or buy items, only view them. This is useful for new players who don't know all the skills and items by hard, and this helps them use the dead time when they are dead, to make plans and learn more.

6. When you are dead, make the screen a little bit clear. Still black and white, because it's a cool effect, but make it more clear, so you can still see the action.

7. This is really important i think: some skills don't have clear dmg ratings, such as Rook's towers. I think it's imperative that ALL skills have clear dmg ratings in numbers, for every level.

8. Allow the customization of all keyboard commands, inlcuding the camera control. I don't see a reason why they are locked.

That's all for now. All of them are easy to fix in a patch, imo...

April 28, 2009 9:35:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,
I agree with the above and i have some of my own:
words

Yeah, I've heard some of those, and they're all good suggestions, especially for the minimap. And it's really annoying not being able to see how much damage towers/spirits/brambles and everything else do, there should be some option to check them somehow.

April 29, 2009 1:50:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One more, taken from another thread:

9. The text that displays who died and who killed who, should be made red (if a team mate has died) or green (if an enemy dg died). As it is now, white is kinda neutral, many times i failed to notice it and wondered where my team mate was.

Feel free to add, if they are small things that can be fixed in a short time.

April 29, 2009 2:17:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think this game is pretty cool and would like to add a suggestion echoe'd in other forums on the interweb and from my own play experience so far.

1. The creeps for each side should be made more distinct. I have a difficult time telling which creeps are on my team and which are on the other team.

2. Please, for the love of god, fix the CTD bug I have when I'm in the middle of a game.

That's all for now. Otherwise awesome game. More Generals and Assassin's perhaps? Maybe an entirely new category of Demigods - maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

April 29, 2009 4:38:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is this the complaining thread? Anyway, here goes: I absolutely agree with the OP, seeing enemy and ally MP, items AND DAMAGE would add great depth to the game. I come from DotA and it's really frustrating that a decade-old game got these things better than a brand-new one. The lack of information supplied in Demigod is extremly frustrating. When playing a general and selecting your army if would be really good to have a status screen to see what exactly you have in your army, HP bars for everyone, etc.

More game modes please. A random/all random option with a small bonus gold is great because it encourages players to learn all Demigods.

Better multiplayer support. How about integrating a banlist/notice list in the game? How about better alt+tab support so I can read some news while the game fills up, with audible notifications in case I get dropped or when the game is full? The game just hangs 1 out of 3 times when I try to tab back in the game.

Attack-move command. Sometimes I don't want to have to right-click a creep or an enemy to attack him, an area attack is sufficient.

This is what I can think of now, hope someone involved in patching the game is reading this. Otherwise I like it and I'm happy with my purchase - although I initially bought the game despite lackluster reviews just to support Stardock's approach to DRM on their games.

May 1, 2009 3:21:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To the above, there IS an attack move.  Alt->right click.  It even shows up as a loading screen tip.

I completely disagree that being able to see the other team's mana and items makes the game "too soft."  I'll just come out and say it - you can in Dota and it doesn't break the game at all.  In fact it makes it more strategic in my opinion as you can actually build to counter what your opponents are doing. (He's going all attack speed and no damage?  Thorns item - etc)

You should at least be able to see the gold and items for people ON YOUR OWN TEAM.  Especially since there's a bunch of aura items, you don't want to overlap....

Other suggestions:

1. Pinging?

2. Minimap click->scroll is desperately needed

3. All random mode is the only thing I played in Dota...it's for the truly skilled and should be in Demigod.

4. if you're going to dim the screen so you can't see what's going on while you're dead at least let us do something else like view the citadel upgrade status or such.

5. The ability to manually disable or freeze players once they get taken over by AI after someone leaves.  Melee heroes are simply brain dead and ensure that any comeback you might have been able to pull off is forever out of reach when they start feeding.

6. And in general, AI players don't respect towers at all.  They should NEVER pursue past towers and never walk into their range without support.

May 1, 2009 4:39:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="InfiniteVengeance" reply="7" id="2180041"]To the above, there IS an attack move.  Alt->right click.  It even shows up as a loading screen tip.

I completely disagree that being able to see the other team's mana and items makes the game "too soft."  I'll just come out and say it - you can in Dota and it doesn't break the game at all.  In fact it makes it more strategic in my opinion as you can actually build to counter what your opponents are doing. (He's going all attack speed and no damage?  Thorns item - etc)

You should at least be able to see the gold and items for people ON YOUR OWN TEAM.  Especially since there's a bunch of aura items, you don't want to overlap....

Other suggestions:

1. Pinging?.....

i dont agreee with seeing enemies mana and equipment and ADDITIONAL STATS  but evrething else i do agree

May 1, 2009 4:57:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with 1 (random demigod option) and 4 through 8 of DeadGhost's post.

2 is a bad idea for exactly why Tradleon states.  Demigod is a better game because it does not include it. (also see http://www.zenofdesign.com/2005/06/10/imperfect-information/ )

3 is pointless.  Supcom style zooming renders the necessity for minimap clicking obsolete.  Embrace full map zooming.

Pinging is implemented.  Try pressing p in game - it'll ping whatever your mouse is hovering over.  It wouldn't hurt to improve it with a 3d indicator though instead of just on the minimap.

May 1, 2009 6:20:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"3 is pointless.  Supcom style zooming renders the necessity for minimap clicking obsolete.  Embrace full map zooming."

Zooming is for when you want to expand your field of vision.  Map clicking is when you want to see something FAST and at a narrow view.  Two different purposes.

(And you'd use the latter a lot more)

May 2, 2009 2:08:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pinging on the map is achieved by pressing P by default.

June 12, 2009 8:03:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I completely disagree that being able to see the other team's mana and items makes the game "too soft." I'll just come out and say it - you can in Dota and it doesn't break the game at all. In fact it makes it more strategic in my opinion as you can actually build to counter what your opponents are doing. (He's going all attack speed and no damage? Thorns item - etc)

im not sure if i agree or not but it is controversial

June 12, 2009 10:38:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting randomboy,
Is this the complaining thread? Anyway, here goes: I absolutely agree with the OP, seeing enemy and ally MP, items AND DAMAGE would add great depth to the game. I come from DotA and it's really frustrating that a decade-old game got these things better than a brand-new one. The lack of information supplied in Demigod is extremly frustrating. When playing a general and selecting your army if would be really good to have a status screen to see what exactly you have in your army, HP bars for everyone, etc.

More game modes please. A random/all random option with a small bonus gold is great because it encourages players to learn all Demigods.

Better multiplayer support. How about integrating a banlist/notice list in the game? How about better alt+tab support so I can read some news while the game fills up, with audible notifications in case I get dropped or when the game is full? The game just hangs 1 out of 3 times when I try to tab back in the game.

Attack-move command. Sometimes I don't want to have to right-click a creep or an enemy to attack him, an area attack is sufficient.

This is what I can think of now, hope someone involved in patching the game is reading this. Otherwise I like it and I'm happy with my purchase - although I initially bought the game despite lackluster reviews just to support Stardock's approach to DRM on their games.

NO

This game WOULD NOT benefit from copying everything from a previous game of the same genre. Seeing an opponents gear would change the playstyle and thats not what they wanted. Also there is an attack-move button, it shows as a tip on the loading screen (i beleive it is control-click).

June 12, 2009 11:07:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game WOULD NOT benefit from copying everything from a previous game of the same genre. Seeing an opponents gear would change the playstyle and thats not what they wanted

You don't know that.

June 12, 2009 12:52:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

This game WOULD NOT benefit from copying everything from a previous game of the same genre. Seeing an opponents gear would change the playstyle and thats not what they wanted
You don't know that.

This isn't DoTA : 2.

And I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't buy the game to play a complete clone of DoTA with better graphics, which is what you seem set on turning it into.

June 12, 2009 3:03:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few basic community features that would go a long way:

1.  Seeing if your friends are in a lobby vs in a game.  Perhaps putting a star next to games that have a friend in them.

2.  Prominent displays of win-loss-disconnect ratio.  This would go a long way towards preventing the super early rage quit.

Also, ditto for the attack move option.  Frequently that is precisely what i wish to do.

June 12, 2009 4:01:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't buy the game to play a complete clone of DoTA with better graphics, which is what you seem set on turning it into.

I did though, that's why I stopped playing Dota and started playing this.  If they would take the best parts this game would only become better.  There's still plenty of differences from Dota.

June 12, 2009 4:03:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2. Being able to click on enemy Demigods to see their MP and Purchased Items

Meh this is a bad suggestion I think. It would remove strategy

June 12, 2009 4:17:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No to showing mana and items.

It would totally destory any element of bluffing. Lets say I'm a mine Reg with no mana and for some reason I need to stay here and hold my ground till help comes. I'm taking the risk of trying to bluff you into staying away for the moment, the pay off is you might stay away till help comes. The downside is if you test my bluff you will probably get a easy kill. When you can seem someones mana you will know what to expect.

June 12, 2009 4:22:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So what?  As I said in a different topic:

If Demigod shipped without being able to see what level the enemies were, or even how much hp they exactly had (just a % bar perhaps) I just wonder how many people would be arguing against giving out that info.

"You shouldn't know what level I am, otherwise you might know what abilities I could have!"

"You shouldn't know how much HP I have, it should be a risk whether or not you know if your 600 dmg skill should kill me!"

"You should have to watch how much the % bar changes when you hit me and calculate my HP yourself!"

And so on.  You aren't actually listing real reasons why it would be better, you just have no alternative for comparison.  You can't say it would be worse or less fun.

June 12, 2009 5:16:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes it would make it less fun. You know what your enemy is going to do which gets rid of all the surprise once you know what build they have. Whats the fear in a UB charging at you with no mana for skills? If you know you can take his normal hits and maybe ooze then theres nothing to worry about. Whats the point of trying to bluff and hold out with a TB when I can see you have no mana and I'll just run and kill you.

" O crap they have a sedna! O wait she has no mana, no need to worry about heals. Rape them!"

Sure its a benefit for the enemy to see the others mana but you lose all chance of bluffing or making the other side run.

"O crap that TB has full mana. Stay away from him till he wastes some of it."

People will sit back and wait now for others to have no mana then move in for the kill, fun. Any heavyily skill geared Demigod will totally be screwed over. No fear from eberus right now he has no mana why worry, TB no mana no point in worrying about him right now.

June 12, 2009 5:34:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with most of the above stuff, but definately no to seeing mana and items...

1 more thing to make the game better... make the invis detect have a function... right now its pretty much "hey i can see ur mines reg but i cant do anything about them, oh well"... so what im suggesting is to make the mines destroyable with physical direct attack... or if not make them destroyable then invent some invisibility granting item or smth because otherwise wards or invis detect have no purpose... it'd give reg another incentive to get tracking atleast...

but yes demigod is in desperate need of a random button or allrandom mode or smth

June 12, 2009 5:37:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You know what your enemy is going to do which gets rid of all the surprise once you know what build they have. Whats the fear in a UB charging at you with no mana for skills? If you know you can take his normal hits and maybe ooze then theres nothing to worry about. Whats the point of trying to bluff and hold out with a TB when I can see you have no mana and I'll just run and kill you.

What does this have to do with fun or the game being better?  Do you bluff in Chess?

And I don't see how knowing what their inventory and mana is tells you what they are going to do.  It may tell you some of what they *can* do.  Reacting properly to it when they do (or don't) is called skill.

People will sit back and wait now for others to have no mana then move in for the kill

If people are sitting back why are you running out of mana?  What are you using it on?  You make up these situations but I wouldn't call them realistic.

Any heavyily skill geared Demigod will totally be screwed over. No fear from eberus right now he has no mana why worry, TB no mana no point in worrying about him right now.

And they know you can see their mana, so they will obviously go get more or accept that they won't be activating abilities.  You're just saying things assuming that there's something wrong with them, but I'm just not seeing it.

June 12, 2009 5:39:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you bluff in Chess?
This isn't Chess. Nor is it DotA. What you want is LoL.

And I don't see how knowing what their inventory and mana is tells you what they are going to do.
"Hmm, that player is trying to lure me into a tower by letting themself get low on life, but has a potion."

You're just saying things assuming that there's something wrong with them, but I'm just not seeing it.
There's a whole mechanic in the game that you want to kill just because this isn't the game you have been playing.

June 12, 2009 6:26:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) Actually you can kinda bluff in chess but its most times called a "Trap."

2) TB uses mana to kill mobs with AOE quickly, Reg uses mana to kill minions with fury and so on and so on.

3) Really? Really really? I'm saying things because seeing someones mana would just like Kitkun said remove a whole element of the gameplay which I actually like. I like the bluffing I like taking risks with a chance of making it through.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.