The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Minor update

By on June 3, 2009 10:11:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1434

The team got us a minor update today that improves connectivity. They also identified an issue in the lobby where a user exiting the lobby can cause a game error. We consider it pretty serious. It’s been there for awhile and it revolves around timing and the type of connection and various other things but in a mixed gaming environment it happens enough to be a major issue IMO. So now that we’ve identified the cause, it’s gone up the priority list.

GPG also got us an update tonight (that wasn’t able to go in the build) that improved some of the command queueing and following a demigod. I haven’t got to try it yet. There’s a lot of moving parts as you can imagine that kind of thing. 

But the big thing about tonight’s update is improvements in connectivity between a user who is using the proxy server and users who are not.

For next week, I am hoping we have the intelligent proxy handling in in which it will choose the proxy server closest to you.  Once we do that, we’re going to seriously evaluate whether to just have it proxy by default (right now, it only uses proxy servers if you set /serverproxyonly as a parameter in the short-cut) since people are reporting that proxies largely eliminate connectivity for people who have problems.

Locked Post 38 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 3, 2009 10:13:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you for scrambling to do what you can.

June 3, 2009 10:22:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For next week, I am hoping we have the intelligent proxy handling in in which it will choose the proxy server closest to you. Once we do that, we’re going to seriously evaluate whether to just have it proxy by default

yay

June 3, 2009 10:58:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just out of curiousity, are there proxy servers in Australia, and are they turned on ?

June 3, 2009 10:59:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are proxy servers in Australia and Europe. But the game doesn't see them yet.

June 3, 2009 11:00:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

people are reporting that proxies largely eliminate connectivity for people who have problems.
Methinks your missing a word there.

June 3, 2009 11:33:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Code: php
  1. For next week, I am hoping we have the intelligent proxy handling in in which it will choose the proxy server closest to you.  Once we do that, we’re going to seriously evaluate whether to just have it proxy by default

Me thinks that

a) This will hopefully make 'Silk23' a happy bunny

Mean my mates can finally get a game without being booted for scary high pings

June 3, 2009 11:33:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

p.s. damn this quoting lark is hard here isn't it?!?

June 3, 2009 11:36:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

GPG also got us an update tonight (that wasn’t able to go in the build) that improved some of the command queueing and following a demigod. I haven’t got to try it yet. There’s a lot of moving parts as you can imagine that kind of thing.

ETA for this?

June 3, 2009 11:36:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does the connection system still do an iterative loop trying ports when the initial NAT facilitation fails?  There seems to be a big timesink between that and setting up the proxy.

June 4, 2009 12:58:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regarding following issues:

Will fire TB attack while following better?

June 4, 2009 1:33:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why not just let us choose our own proxy, or at least give us the option.

Lets be honest... you know that an automatic proxy selector is going to get it wrong for some people, and you're just asking for trouble.

June 4, 2009 1:54:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yay for smart proxies!

June 4, 2009 2:03:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

right now, it only uses proxy servers if you set /serverproxyonly as a parameter in the short-cut

Uhmm no it doesn't. I'm in AU and i connect to a friend in Missouri and it's random as to whether we get a proxied connection or a NAT connection, or neither. We have played many games one after each other where game 1 might be proxied and yet game two is not, this is without ever having shut off DG or exiting further back than the lobby on either of our machines.

And neither of us proxyonly in our shortcut.

Odd?

June 4, 2009 2:15:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good job, keep up the good work and dont forget to sleep atleast once a week

June 4, 2009 2:17:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Err, I have pretty nasty ping to people in countries outside the US, regardless of whether they are geographically closer to me than California (the closest US state) I hope the proxies don't end up making yet another connection issue for me to dig out of.

June 4, 2009 2:23:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Vladesch,

Why not just let us choose our own proxy, or at least give us the option.
Lets be honest... you know that an automatic proxy selector is going to get it wrong for some people, and you're just asking for trouble.

Yeah, I'd wondered this too. Even a drop down for country would be useful where it'd ping the relevant servers and choose the lowest number. Still, am looking forward massively to being able to finally connect to the 'local' one to NZ as some of my friends are having real issues even after correctly forwarding etc.

June 4, 2009 2:49:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

intelligent proxy handling    i have been waiting on this. Going though the US  for a oz game has been a nightmare.

June 4, 2009 4:18:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does the update we got late Wednesday night (June 3rd) address the apparent increase in unhandled exception errors from v1.01?

June 4, 2009 4:37:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's already too late...

June 4, 2009 5:10:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice,with this update i havent got any errors  for 4 hours now...and better connectivity then yesterday,gj

June 4, 2009 5:21:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like these minor updates. keep them coming. I´d rather have 10 issues, one getting fixed each day for 10 days than wait 10 days for one update to fix them all. Since i play everyday i will have lesser issues overall after the 10 days witht he minor updates!

June 4, 2009 7:40:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agree completely with NeoVain. It seems that the guys / gals bend DG obviously are working very hard to resolve the issues. Yay for that!

June 4, 2009 8:17:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good work GPG/SD

Very nice to hear this is being worked/looked at. Pathfinding and following demigods, especially around corners, can be really bad.

Its nice to see pathfinding/a.i getting upgraded and patched - normally they just develop it and leave it.

June 4, 2009 8:52:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is very good news but IF you make it use a proxy by default please add a command line parameter like /trydirectconnect for the people that DO know what they're doing. It will speed up the connection as well as decrease the amount of stress on the proxies.

June 4, 2009 9:01:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,
Once we do that, we’re going to seriously evaluate whether to just have it proxy by default (right now, it only uses proxy servers if you set /serverproxyonly as a parameter in the short-cut) since people are reporting that proxies largely eliminate connectivity for people who have problems.

I've seen the proxies used by people that I'm pretty sure didn't set that flag. Two neighbours here in South Africa that tried to connect but had to go through a proxy in the US that added 700ms ping to a connection that should have been around 80ms.

If you're dead set on having the system proxy by default will you provide a switch for those of us that (think) we know what we're doing so we can make it the last-ditch-effort thing it is now? Something like /serverproxyifallelsefails or /serverproxylast.

EDIT: I see TommySprat suggested this just before I did. Great minds think alike .

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001579   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.