The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod brain storming

By on May 24, 2009 7:51:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It’s hard to believe, given everything Demigod has been through, that it’s only been available for about a month!

This week we’ll be putting the first significant update to Demigod through QA to see if we can get it out this week. v1.01 has all kinds of improvements to make the experience AFTER you get into a game much better.

But there’s some things we’re going to be looking at doing to improve the online experience before you get into a game.

Here are some examples:

1. We’d like to have the connection information dialog also display a performance rating. This is an issue that people are familiar with all the way back to the Total Annihilation and Starcraft days.

2. We’d like to display the skill rating right in the connection dialog. This will take a bit of doing on our part but I think it’s worth doing. That way, you get into a game where it’s 4 buddies ready to keep crushing 4 random guys and you can see what you’re getting yourself into.   It will encourage much more even games.  Few people like an imbalanced game experience.

3. Net connection quality.  Games usually just display ping.  But ping isn’t enough.  As we’ve seen from the Speedtest thread there are a surprising number of users who have incredibly poor connections (think barely better than 56k modem).   Some DSLs have 1megabit downstream but less than 150kilobit upstream.  There’s no way that person is going to have a good experience in a 5 on 5 game. And they’ll bring down everyone else.  So we need to find a way to calculate that and display it.

4. Karma.  Okay, this is a controversial thing to have so we’d love to hear from you guys on the best way to find out if a particular user is a griefer.  No system is perfect but I am sure we can think of  a way to make it so that people can do something about that.

Connection info in game

Another thing we’d like to do is have a way to easily make people in your games friends so you can grab them later.  We’ll be doing a lot of things in the coming months with the friends system. We hadn’t originally intended to deploy the Impulse friends system in Demigod at all as it was being designed as an Impulse Phase 4 feature but it became apparent in beta that we needed some way for people to interact. So you’ll see that sort of thing evolve a lot going forward.

+912 Karma | 116 Replies
May 25, 2009 5:36:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Savage 2, after each game you can give/remove karma from one participant in the match, and leave a comment as to why you did...

Effectively discourages quitting, gold hoarding, "cowboy"ing, flaming, etc. while encouraging staying, team playing, and treating people with respect...  if you care about karma that is.

By looking at a person's karma history and how much +/- karma people gave them as well as reading the comments, you get a good feel for what kind of person that player is and know, perhaps even better than from the player's stats, whether he is a guy you'd want in your clan.

May 25, 2009 6:05:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting maxxy_il,

Quoting Archon Saar, reply 6Great ideas man; some more ideas /suggestions:

1) Please DO NOT give users the ability to modify karma or we will see exploits and imature behavior!

This coming from a person who calls people n00bs for saying Zikurat is a 5v5 player map and suggesting a map change, and then proceeds to kick them out of the game in under 5 seconds? Yes, for people like you we definitely need a karma system.

I haven't kicked anyone for that, though if you dropped or timed out you still get the same message. That's exactly the imature behavior we will see - guys giving negative karma to someone who kicked (not) them, instead of trying to figure what actually happened. Thanks for proving my point

May 25, 2009 6:27:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ceylin,
-1 Karma for leaving the game early

+1 Karma for winning a game

+3 Karma for losing a game.

He has a really good point. Karma is not about how good you are. It's a rating how friendly you are in the game. I respect everyone how stays till the game has ended. Kind of supports the spirit of sport. On the other side I stay till the end just to tell them that it was a good game.

I can only support this idea!

May 25, 2009 8:15:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of player feedback, much like we have here on the forum, however the system can be easily abused by those with enough time and dedication. For example, members of Clans would be give each other member Karma, artifically raising their Karma level. Ok, so you change it so that Clan Members can't give other Clan members Karma. So they quit the Clan, have their Karma bumped up, and re-join. It sounds far fetched, but I can promise this kind of abuse would happen.

The moment the Karma system is able to be directly effect by players the system's credibility goes out the window. Even here on the forums, one recently banned member had around 20 Karma points - despite the majority of the community agreeing he was a troll and posted nothing useful or meaningful. The only way the system would work is to remove the ability for players to give Karma, which would remove a lot of the usefulness of the system.

May 25, 2009 9:20:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Karma needs to be out of the hands of the moronic masses (i.e. us players ).. otherwise it will get abused.

If you tie it to staying till the end, for goodness sake give us the concede defeat option so that we don't have to read a book while waiting for the other side to finish us off.

May 25, 2009 10:39:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A karma system might include a screen at the end of a game that displays:

• all the people you played with (and their demigods, in case you forget usernames)
  • a section where you give a thumbs up/down
  • a drop-down menu with categories/sub-categories for why you chose to give or take karma
  • a comments section

If you want to get crazier, maybe add the ability to add or take karma on multiple issues.  For instance, if the opponent stayed when he was losing, but was abusive in the chat, you could add karma for staying, and take it for "sportsmanship" (or whatever you choose to call it).  Obviously, this is might be a bit much, but I know that if I had a game experience that stood out (for good or bad), I'd take the time to fill out the post-game Karma screen.  The Karma screen could be a post-game button, so it would be completely optional and the people that weren't interested in doing it could just hit exit.

The overall Karma could be viewed in a custom game with a summary menu that pops up based on a mouse-over.  Detailed Karma could be viewed on the website, or in some other fashion.  Karma could also be weighted with more weight on some non-user method of Karma, like the aforementioned rage-quit/win/loss method, to reduce abuse.

May 25, 2009 11:14:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My  suggestion:

1) Please add an option to 'PLAY AGAIN'. I think one of the joys is being able to finally find a good combination of people who have decent pings to each other and who dont disconnect mid game. After your enjoyable battle is over, why cant we see a "Play Again" button? Why do you insist we all have to kick out...never to find each other again....and spend another 20 minutes trying to setup a proper game with strangers? The hardest part of multiplayer DEMIGOD is setting up a stable peer to peer group. So why do you insist we continually have to remake it. Let us just go again....let the host be able to rechoose a new map. To help balance...take all the players and redo the teams....with last games top players 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 rematched into teams 1,3,6,8 (18 approx skill) vs 2,4,5,7 (18 approx skill)

2) The game needs to give us more feedback. I really hate seeing these blank load screens staring back at me, while I wait for something to happen......do something so I can see progress.....fill up a bar....count to 100...anything to give feedback on whats happening... and let me know I'm stuck or if all is working.

3) Can you make the chat window in-game persistent. I.e transparent resizable text window on screen. Numerous times my teammates will type smoething and it will appear...and then its gone before I have had a chance to read it.  Same with text from other players.

May 26, 2009 12:57:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In the interests of brainstorming.

Quoting sillybennaboo,
My  suggestion:

1) Please add an option to 'PLAY AGAIN'.

2) The game needs to give us more feedback. I really hate seeing these blank load screens staring back at me, while I wait for something to happen......do something so I can see progress.....fill up a bar....count to 100...anything to give feedback on whats happening... and let me know I'm stuck or if all is working.

This.

and also

3. Coloured text indicating who is speaking/messaging in game (dark brown vs light blue etc)

4. NO NEGATIVE KARMA but show exp and allow positive karma. Therefore, a person with not much karma but a high experience is realised as a not fun player. But a person with no karma and low exp is recognised as a noob.

5. Trying in with 2, please reloop or randomise some more songs in the main screen. Trying for 20 minutes to connect to a game with nothing to take in but wind and waiting to connect loading screens, really would build up frustration for a lot of players.

6.Perhaps as someone suggested, a global instant wall/board thing on the side whilst waiting to connect. so that people can interact with everyone over the world whilst connecting.

7. More mana denying favour items. With so many heros mana-stacking abilities, more types of favour items to combat them would make for more interesting dynamics. I.e. blood of the serpent in reverse ?

8. And probably the craziest (realisitc) idea to combat ragequitting i would propose - Ascension.

Basically, if the rival team is 4-5 levels up, and "controls the map" with flags, the announcer shouts ASCENSION BEGINS.

Doing so means the losing team colour scheme starts to slowly fade to black in line with how much health the citadel has. It also gets a great bonus like 1.5x exp, gold from creeps, and 1.5x length of flag locks and certain citadel upgrades become cheaper, and 1.5 times favour points for winning.

If a team is dominating by that much, they should still win. But making surving asencion mode a recordable score, so that people can show off their anility to stay in the game and fight out nearly impossible odds by managing to come from deep behind and win, is something people would love to brag about.

May 26, 2009 1:52:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

could have a stat that says : games won, games lost, games rage quit.

during a game, if a player leaves, you can go into menu or sumthing and flag the person as a rage quitter.  if the majority of the players flag that player, the games rage quit stat increases.  the minimum amount of votes should be 2-3.

this allows players to decide whether a player leaving was a disconnect or a rage quit.  also, it shows the amount of games played, giving other players a number to base the tendency of a player to rage.  also shows who are the experienced players and who arn't.  and it sounds simple.

May 26, 2009 2:15:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

during a game, if a player leaves, you can go into menu or sumthing and flag the person as a rage quitter. if the majority of the players flag that player, the games rage quit stat increases.

this is a very good idea.

possibly you could have an only positive karma system which determines if the majority of people like playing with them.

then have a negative system where the majority votes for it for ragequiting or abusive language. this negative karma is recorded as a banlist consisting of who voted for them and what reason.

each person has their own banlist which CANNOT BE VIEWED AT ALL(or edited) and records this information, this cannot be shared with other players until...

someone joins a game and more than 4(or some other value) people have this same person on their own banlist a note comes up notifying all players in the game that this person "is bad for reason... by these players..".

note everyone out of the 4 people must have the same reason.

but yea just an idea...

May 26, 2009 4:01:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

unless the karma system is regulated by stardock, then it's a bad idea IMO as not only griefers will catch bad karma.

i'm more looking forward to the personal banlist, assuming that's still coming.

May 26, 2009 7:02:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

during a game, if a player leaves, you can go into menu or sumthing and flag the person as a rage quitter. if the majority of the players flag that player, the games rage quit stat increases.
this is a very good idea.

possibly you could have an only positive karma system which determines if the majority of people like playing with them.

then have a negative system where the majority votes for it for ragequiting or abusive language. this negative karma is recorded as a banlist consisting of who voted for them and what reason.

each person has their own banlist which CANNOT BE VIEWED AT ALL(or edited) and records this information, this cannot be shared with other players until...

someone joins a game and more than 4(or some other value) people have this same person on their own banlist a note comes up notifying all players in the game that this person "is bad for reason... by these players..".

note everyone out of the 4 people must have the same reason.

but yea just an idea...

Crikey I was thinking of a similar thing not mere seconds before I saw your post! My idea for such a thing works like this:

The notion of a personal banlist is implemented, however it is split into a banned section and a commended section. AT the end of each game you add players to your own banned or commended list. Specifying a reason is mandatory, and the reason is selected from a drop-down menu (For reasons that will become apparent in a second).

The contents of these banlists is then shared and used to build a player's rating. The rating, rather than being a single attribute, is split into positive and negative values. Positive values are gained by completing games and receiving commendations from teammates. Negative values are gained by quitting games (Disconnecting will also garner negative values but under a "disconnected" category) and for getting on people's banlists. Whether or not these ratings are followed by the host is entirely up to them.

In addition, the actual awarding of commendations or bans to players will alter your rating as well, and also adjusts how much your ratings are worth to other players ie: If you hand out far more many bans than commendations then your bans are worth less to player's ratings (ie: They give less negative values), and vice versa for commendations. This could also be category based ie: Only decrease worth of player X's ban ratings if 75% of his bans are under the category "omfg n00b gtfo" or whatever. This would reduce the possibility of griefers or arrogant sods ruining a player's rating.

May be a bit complicated but the idea is that by performing a little housekeeping and being fair about the commendations and bans that you hand out, an effective rating could be established for hosts to use in trying to maintain a fun and exciting game.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

May 26, 2009 9:08:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't read every post, but I think the only way to make the Karma idea work (or any idea that allows for anyone to ascribe negative rating to someone which would be viewable by all) would be to make it a voting scheme.  Maybe after 5 people add [SD]Griefer to their banlist, then [SD]Griefer would get some bad Karma.

If you make it so that anyone can subtract karma by themselves, it's going to be come an online clusterf*ck of people just giving negative karma because they got humiliated by a comment someone else made, beaten by alleged "OP", or even just for the unforgiveable sin of being zomg n00b.

May 26, 2009 9:16:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
For all people that want players rate Karma: Have a look at Xbox Live. After your first 10 online matches all of your friends and clanmates rated you positive and you have a 5-star ranking. When same people rate you bad your friends will just rate you good again. So get a system that gives Karma automatic. And for flaming or something that can't be detected automatic you need some helper that give bad Karma after a screenshot proofed the bad behaviour. Like it is done at dota-league.com
May 26, 2009 9:49:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Izibaar,
For all people that want players rate Karma:
Have a look at Xbox Live. After your first 10 online matches all of your friends and clanmates rated you positive and you have a 5-star ranking. When same people rate you bad your friends will just rate you good again.

So get a system that gives Karma automatic. And for flaming or something that can't be detected automatic you need some helper that give bad Karma after a screenshot proofed the bad behaviour. Like it is done at dota-league.com

A team of helpers is just not feasible for a game like Demigod imo. Whilst the number of people who play Dota is enormous, the number of people playing dota-league is a lot less. And plus it only applies to a small subset of the community (Pubs are pretty much completely unregulated aside from private personal banlists which are a flawed system as they're not shared). To apply a helper system to the entire community of a game like Demigod would tie up far too many resources. A better way is to create a system which is self regulated, that can mod down for flaming without external help.

As for having your friends just mod you up again, there is a simple way to get around it: Only be allowed to mod up or down once for each player.

May 26, 2009 11:43:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For what is worth, i think the karma system should be automatic. Anything else would get abused, one way or another. My 2 cents.

But i still think a skill rating, based on in-game statistics, would be more useful.

May 26, 2009 12:09:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think it is possible to implement a karma system that won't reap havoc upon the game.  Player-ratings are too random to be meaningful.  And a sort of automated karma system is bound to be misinterpreted too often.

For example, let's look at the system that was proposed above:  +1 karma for a win, -1 for leaving early, +3 for a loss.  Now, let's imagine that a player leaves early every time he's going to lose and stays every time he's going to win.  Averaging it out, his karma will be 0.

So, how do I distinguish this player from someone who is playing the game for the first time?  I can't, and I'd wager that a lot of new players are immediately kicked from games for being suspected griefers, and I'd further wager that the game's popularity dwindles because new players have a tough time.

In a lot of respects, I think it's important NOT to be able to judge players by some sort of "player rating" before they enter the game, because any player without a desirable rating, for whatever reason, is pretty much never going to be able to play the game.  I don't care how benevolent your intentions are: making it very difficult for a person who bought your game to play that game is a bad idea: it will ultimately hurt the community.

And I don't want to feel like I've got to protect my karma rating.  I want to be able to let my friends sit down and try the game without worries.

Dropouts will be less of a problem when the concede option is implemented, and I think more solutions like that are going to be better for this in the long run.

- Jaxian

May 26, 2009 12:23:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^ wrong, it works fine with esea

May 26, 2009 12:38:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaxian,
I don't think it is possible to implement a karma system that won't reap havoc upon the game.  Player-ratings are too random to be meaningful.  And a sort of automated karma system is bound to be misinterpreted too often.

For example, let's look at the system that was proposed above:  +1 karma for a win, -1 for leaving early, +3 for a loss.  Now, let's imagine that a player leaves early every time he's going to lose and stays every time he's going to win.  Averaging it out, his karma will be 0.

So, how do I distinguish this player from someone who is playing the game for the first time?  I can't, and I'd wager that a lot of new players are immediately kicked from games for being suspected griefers, and I'd further wager that the game's popularity dwindles because new players have a tough time.

In a lot of respects, I think it's important NOT to be able to judge players by some sort of "player rating" before they enter the game, because any player without a desirable rating, for whatever reason, is pretty much never going to be able to play the game.  I don't care how benevolent your intentions are: making it very difficult for a person who bought your game to play that game is a bad idea: it will ultimately hurt the community.

And I don't want to feel like I've got to protect my karma rating.  I want to be able to let my friends sit down and try the game without worries.

Dropouts will be less of a problem when the concede option is implemented, and I think more solutions like that are going to be better for this in the long run.

- Jaxian

It's very easy to tell a griefer apart from a noob if you have the karma as two values, positive and negative, instead of just one overall rating. For an example, see Mass Effect, you can gain both paragon and renegade points, there isn't a simple slider of good-evil.

Also whilst I can see your points about the player rating system, there's a fine line to walk here. Whilst I know everyone is sick of these comparisons, look at Dota. There are an absolute bundle of asshats who play the game, who constantly flame, who leave matches just after the starting bell goes, etc. My games constantly get ruined because of these asshats.

If a player rating system were properly implemented so these people could be marked out, then it would increase the enjoyability of the game for the majority of people. If you want to pay for the game and act like a complete dickhead on it at the expense of everyone else, why shouldn't people refuse to play with you?

The choice is between ruining the gaming experience for the majority of people or ruining it for the people who are trying to ruin it for everyone else. In my eyes, there's no contest there.

Admittedly yes once proper concede options and so forth are implemented then that kind of behaviour will decrease, but there will always be a lot of idiots who will intentionally set out to spoil the game for other people.

May 26, 2009 1:14:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Meh, I don't really see the problem with negative karma, it's not like it's that hard to detect and filter out most grief behavior and it doesn't have to be a perfect system to add value. The fundamental assumption of a karma system is that generally people are helpful, so the number of helpful people overwhelm the griefers/trolls.  It's not like it's very hard to detect and filter people giving primarily negative karma, or always (often) giving bad karma to teammates when they lose, or most any of the things people in this thread seem to feel would be abused. Again, it doesn't have to be perfect, even if 30% of karma given out is invalid it's still a useful system because annoying people will accumulate negative and nice guys will accumulate positive over time.  It seems like a lot of people are worried that bad karma will be given out for stupid reasons.  No doubt it will, but it doesn't matter so long as the majority of weighted responses are valid.  Just very simply I'd imagine something like positive karma always counts at 100%, negative karma's impact degrades the more you give it (taking into consideration number of games/people played).  If I give out negative karma to one person every fourth game on average that is weighted much more heavily than they guy who gives negative karma every time he fights UB because "OMG UB IS SO BROKEN".  I'll repeat it again - it doesn't matter if the angry teenager gives bad karma to every teammate who he feels isn't playing right so long as he's in the minority after weighting.  I see plenty of “gg”s in my games, and if the interface was simple enough that that number of people gave good karma with the “gg” then I think such a system would work very nicely.

I don't think an automated system would work (+ karma for completing a game, etc.) because when it's a known system then it'll be rigged, such as the example of people just going AFK to get points for completing a match.  The only thing that makes sense is for players in game to give feedback, they're the ultimate judge of who desrves karma even if there is a bit of noise in the signal.

May 26, 2009 1:17:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^ this

May 26, 2009 1:24:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What about a rolling karma system? 

Something where you get +1/-1 for winning/losing (or some type of distribution system)  but it only takes into account the last 20 games you've played, or last 3 months?  so if you finish all your games without quitting, you have this perfect karma, but if you need to quit or ragequit, your karma goes down.  With the system being rolling, it doesn't punish players who occasionally need to leave games for real reasons.  Eventually the negative karma will drop off. 

May 26, 2009 1:52:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The days of Starcraft never ended!!

May 26, 2009 1:55:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I disagree that the choice is between ruining the game for the majority of people or ruining it for a minority.  I think that it is a choice between forcing everyone to have to deal with a minor inconvenience, or completely ruining the game for a minority of people.

Honestly, I don't think it's a horrible fate, to sometimes have an early leaver in your game.  In fact, it has been my experience that people almost never leave the game unless the game is already decided.  I shouldn't be horrified at this thought: the biggest problem is that the game currently freezes for thirty seconds while the player disconnects, then if other players follow, the game continues to freeze over and over, then you're left fighting a bunch of computer players.  The concede option would fix all of this.  Keep in mind too that this game is very prone to crashes.  But putting in a karma system isn't going to change that.

What I don't see often is players getting killed a few times early on, and rage-quitting before the game is actually decided.  Is this just me?

Regardless, a big problem with DotA is that people boot others out of the lobby for, in my opinion, absolutely no good reason.  A ping too high maybe, or maybe just a whim.  And I'm already starting to see this happen in Demigod.  Even with just ping, I can't count the number of times I've seen players get booted because their ping is too high (even though I've seen players with higher ping run just fine).  The last thing I'd want to do is give game-creators even more incentive to boot people joining their games, and this is exactly what these sorts of karma systems do, except that the karma system is worse because once your karma is low, you can never repair it.

As for ESEA, I personally think their karma system works horribly and its problems are masked because only the most hardcore of players play EA Sports games online.

Even if karma is implemented, I don't expect I'd have a low karma.  But if I somehow did, you can bet I'd be asking to refund a now-unplayable game.

May 26, 2009 1:59:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd really rather not see karma in the game until the connection issues are resolved.

I don't want to lose karma because my partner gets dropped during loading and I don't feel like trying to win a Domination 2 on 1.  Some modes really just aren't playable down like that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000890   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.