The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: v1.01 Preview

By on May 22, 2009 4:38:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Gas Powered Games is hard at work on Demigod v1.01.  These are done separately of the recent updates Stardock has done to put in its own connectivity library to help the online multiplayer experience.

Here are some of the things already being tested:

• Bandwidth used reduced by 35% (more people with marginal connections able to play). This should reduce some of the “stutter” some people run into when they play with someone with a marginal Internet connection.
  • Updated the way stats are submitted to make stat reporting significantly more robust.
  • If a player loses connection with another player (or one player with a group of players but not all) only 1 user is disconnected instead of multiple.
  • Demigod is better at detecting the difference between quitting and a disconnect (no connection dialogs when someone leaves).
  • Significantly better handling of users who have shaky connections to keep them in game without adversely affecting in game performance.
  • Favor Points, Achievements, Items stored on server more reliably (thanks to the updated stats system).

I don’t have an exact ETA as there needs to be a lot of testing on this (next week maybe).  But so far, it’s looking pretty good.

+912 Karma | 82 Replies
May 22, 2009 9:53:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did they fix the Oak exploit? The one where you can buy/resummon troops past the limit you are allowed to buy.

May 22, 2009 9:56:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks especially to kstampy and SVoyager so far for providing such detailed descriptions for the targeting bug. This might seem silly to most, but it is quite valuable to us.

Due to our inability to reproduce the bug in-house, I am positive that it is triggered by playstyle nuance, as opposed to hardware or connectivity. The chain triggering of abilities for the Unclean Beast is a great clue that already seems to have pointed us in the right direction, according to the engineer looking at the problem. We are now looking at how issuing multiple identical commands overtop of an executing timed ability can possibly break a trigger.

Simple reason we haven't been able to reproduce this if that proves true? We don't normally power-mash the buttons when we play, most of us learned while building the game that it actually slows down the unit responses, but we should have anticipated what a really motivated overclicker can do.

I don't think this is the same root problem with Sedna, but getting so many good recordings of it occurring in game might reveal to us some patterns, as SVoyager has said.

In any case, this is great information for us, please keep it coming.

May 22, 2009 10:10:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Simple reason we haven't been able to reproduce this if that proves true? We don't normally power-mash the buttons when we play, most of us learned while building the game that it actually slows down the unit responses, but we should have anticipated what a really motivated overclicker can do.
Oi. Certainly not the only cause. I don't power mash either, but I have seen this bug more quite often. One thing I've noticed, however, is that if you wait several seconds the ability will cast eventually. (At least with Sedna) Often times I wait one or two seconds, realize I'm not casting, and move only for it to start and abort. Most battles are of course dependant on split second timing, so nobody waits several seconds.

May 22, 2009 10:18:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Anybody hear anything about the new demigods or maps?

May 22, 2009 10:27:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Simple reason we haven't been able to reproduce this if that proves true? We don't normally power-mash the buttons when we play, most of us learned while building the game that it actually slows down the unit responses, but we should have anticipated what a really motivated overclicker can do.
Shouldn't you have fixed that then? 

May 22, 2009 10:45:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want to say, 35% is (expletive removed) impressive. Will be very glad to see this update.

May 22, 2009 10:47:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GPG-Servo,
Simple reason we haven't been able to reproduce this if that proves true? We don't normally power-mash the buttons when we play, most of us learned while building the game that it actually slows down the unit responses, but we should have anticipated what a really motivated overclicker can do.

I dont power mash either, never have. When I play tb I may be in fireform and hit 2 then 3 then 4 but with timing not mashing, then followed up with 2/3 in iceform instantly. Most of the time this works, but it still stops sometimes and im starting to add move commands more frequently during chains to prevent this from happening. Shifting doesnt seem to cause an issue so far. If I launch a fireball and go to ice RIGHT when it gets done casting I can still cast blizzard as soon as its up - probably because of the ability lock out after shifting...although this could be different for someone else.

I think your engineer will figure out a good solution pretty soon.

May 22, 2009 10:50:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy the previous patches don't really seem to be working. I'm having more problems then I have had ever since these 21-22 updates. All players routing through proxy for pantheon hasn't helped those people that get stuck every other matchup, but the pings in game have become a lot higher...230-350 instead of 90-150. The /noai command isn't working either during pantheon.

May 22, 2009 10:54:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the GPG update both Frogboy and Servo. I really like to hear from the dev side of things too! Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to this update. SVoyager, thank you for taking the time to make some movies of the movement bug. It shows that you really have a love for the game to be even better. 

Question: Will this update still include the peer-proxy implementation of the P2P system as stated in an earlier journal? So that if a player loses connection it will filter the data through a high-bandwidth player to reach the disconnected player?

May 22, 2009 11:00:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This update sounds amazing! Go Gas Powered Games! I especially love the part about the 35% latency reduction, maybe ill actually be able to get in something higher than a 3v3... thanks again!

May 23, 2009 12:15:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not to complain since the game is going great but I am pretty sure I still can't use sounds.. I can either have everything on high with AAx4 getting 50 FPS or everything on low and geta choppy 20FPS

May 23, 2009 1:46:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the FYI

May 23, 2009 2:10:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Surely a new GPG build would include replays?

What is the point of having a multiplayer game which is missing something every RTS for the last 5 years has had. Is there any ETA on which build replays are going to be introduced?

May 23, 2009 2:24:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you have a really easy to reproduce scenario I can send over?

Here's one situation where it happens all the time: I play oak, after getting foul grasped by beast, the bug will occur - especially if i was shileded when grasped - can't cast any spells until I've moved

May 23, 2009 5:44:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll try and get more specific details, but I also get the casting bug constantly when playing QoT.  The only thing I've noticed for sure that seems to increase the chance of it not working is if I have not moved in some time before I cast (e.g. sitting at a flag) and my target is in range (i.e. I don't have to move either).  I would say 30-40% of the time in those conditions, bramble shield will not cast on a friendly target - it's bad enough that if I want to shield someone now, I issue a move order immediately followed by a cast order.

I also do not spam/power-mash abilities, and have this issue very, very consistently.  It's definitely the number one thing I'd like to see fixed, as I'd guess one in two games I end up letting a teammate (or myself) die because of it.

May 23, 2009 8:43:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If this 1.1 will be a quick update (as in we don't have to wait for it more then a week), then it's a very good update. We need connection fixing, before adding other gameplay stuff and this patch does this very thing. Still, i hope the ability/attack bug will be fixed in this update.

May 23, 2009 9:06:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

after reading this thread, i decided to do some testing myself, so here is what i found:

first thing might be unrelated, but if i issue a move command (right clicking on empty space) and tell my QoT to change forms (pressing the fourth ability key) at the same time, she often does not move at all and change forms  or she moves and instantly is in the other form (the animation is not played and i think it is only the animation).

second and more important i tried to reproduce what other people said. and i did it with success. ill try to describe it with as much detail as possible:

if my QoT stands still while her ally is behind her, inside her casting range, she has to turn around before casting. this takes a noticable amount of time (thats absolutely ok and intended). but if her ally is moving parallel to ger position (he does not run away nor towards her), she turns to the direction where he was when she started casting. but because of his movement he no longer is at that direction, so the casting fails. if it failed once she does no longer try to turn towards him so she can not cast shield on him at all. it seems that she starts casting if the ally runs back so that my QoT is now looking in his directions (this seems to be the you have to wait 'solution' someone mentioned, but i could not effectively try at as the AI only run back once)

i tested this in singleplayer skirmish mode (so this should not be lag or some lost packages).

i hope this helps fixing

May 23, 2009 9:30:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe it just me, but placing Rook towers also is somewhat buggy.

If I'm trying to place a tower at his feet, half the time I'll end up selecting him. If I'm trying to place a tower near a map edge, its real frustrating. Even if I'm not doing either of the first two, sometimes it also fails to place.

May 23, 2009 9:34:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This 35% less bandwith will REALLY help when there will be people with +200pin in-game,

Nice update and work guys, Cant wait to be home/healthy to try it

May 23, 2009 12:49:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus' Bite fails to go off all the time too, he just sits there getting eaten and dies. Seems to occur randomly, usually too busy getting eaten to remember what happened before it occured. Plus you can't have a RTS Style game, with fast pace, and not expect people to hit the hotkeys rediculously fast. Once you get the timing down, I can do bat, stun, bite without even waiting for the lag to catch up with me

May 23, 2009 1:45:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bandwidth used reduced by 35% (more people with marginal connections able to play).

Now that's what I'm talking about.

They say this bug is harder to fix than it may seem like because it doesn't happen with all Demigods anymore in all situations.

Do you have a really easy to reproduce scenario I can send over?

In addition to the "chaining abilities" cause, I have noticed that the ability bug is also likely to occur during periods of "stutter" - if you click the ability when your screen is frozen (even if just for a few ms) it doesn't do anything. The game has to be actively updating to read commands? Not 100% sure about this.

May 23, 2009 2:23:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont' think that's the case.  If it were, it's highly probably that the ability would respond on the second try.  Usually when an ability fails... it won't work on subsequent tries until you give a move command or something.

May 23, 2009 3:04:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have the bug a lot playing as TB.  It's most noticeable when I'm trying to drop a 1050dam fireball on a retreating god who has less than 1050 health.  The result is it takes me a second to realize my attack is not going and he is out of range before I can pull the trigger again.

What about the heart of life inconsistencies?  Sometimes when I'm retreating back to base I can click HOL and it heals me while my guy continues to move.  However, if I'm being chased by something and I use HOL on a retreat, my guy actually STOPS and starts to fight, thus ending in a death as I lose my distance advantage.  What's the deal?

May 23, 2009 4:22:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

* Id like an option to have spells only target demigods. I cant count how many times ive accidentally healed or shielded a grunt or minion in the middle of a hectic battle, so frustrating, and something i would rarely if ever try to do intentionally.

* Also in the middle of battle I would like demigods to be outlined as in L4D so they are clearly visible between 5 giants and an armada of grunts, if not full time then at least have a hotkey to outline them or even better have it intelligently highlight ally/enemy demigods depending on type of spell

* PLEASE fix the keyboard configuration so that all controls (especially camera controls) are fully reconfigurable! This is the biggest item keeping me from fully enjoying this game being left handed.

May 23, 2009 4:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think definitely the biggest issue for me at the moment is targetting. Some of the smaller Demigods like Erebus, the biggest obstacle to killing the fucker is finding him in the melee.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.