The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: v1.01 Preview

By on May 22, 2009 4:38:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Gas Powered Games is hard at work on Demigod v1.01.  These are done separately of the recent updates Stardock has done to put in its own connectivity library to help the online multiplayer experience.

Here are some of the things already being tested:

• Bandwidth used reduced by 35% (more people with marginal connections able to play). This should reduce some of the “stutter” some people run into when they play with someone with a marginal Internet connection.
  • Updated the way stats are submitted to make stat reporting significantly more robust.
  • If a player loses connection with another player (or one player with a group of players but not all) only 1 user is disconnected instead of multiple.
  • Demigod is better at detecting the difference between quitting and a disconnect (no connection dialogs when someone leaves).
  • Significantly better handling of users who have shaky connections to keep them in game without adversely affecting in game performance.
  • Favor Points, Achievements, Items stored on server more reliably (thanks to the updated stats system).

I don’t have an exact ETA as there needs to be a lot of testing on this (next week maybe).  But so far, it’s looking pretty good.

+897 Karma | 82 Replies
May 22, 2009 4:40:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

first--good update cant wait for reset of stats

May 22, 2009 4:50:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i hope they get to fix the targetting/ability cast bug asap. This thing has got to be the most annoying in game bug for me.

(bug being that sometimes, your DG wont cast anything until you give it a move order and then order it to cast again. Especially annoying when you play a support DG (sedna or QoT) and you need to cast something to your ally to save him, only to find out it didnt casted and the two seconds it takes you to move and recast is sometimes enough for your ally to die).

The bug gotta happen about 5-10 times per game here.

May 22, 2009 5:14:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice improvements, but if I may suggest another big priority, that is to fix the bug where for some reason you have to move your DG before you can cast a skill like Sedna's Heal, QoT's bramble shield or Oak's Shield.

May 22, 2009 5:26:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks good

May 22, 2009 5:41:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i hope they get to fix the targetting/ability cast bug asap. This thing has got to be the most annoying in game bug for me.

They say this bug is harder to fix than it may seem like because it doesn't happen with all Demigods anymore in all situations.

Do you have a really easy to reproduce scenario I can send over? 

May 22, 2009 5:53:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

They say this bug is harder to fix than it may seem like because it doesn't happen with all Demigods anymore in all situations.

I get it around corners and edges of the maps like on cataract. It happens even more hwen you chain abiltiies like bat swarm -> bite or grasp->spit or pounce -> heal.So say I am UB in melee range of another DG. I will grasp them and then while the grasp is mid 2 second stun, I will try to queue up spit. At the point that grasp ends UB will just stand there only to attack if something comes within melee range. So they are forgetting their last target after abilities are queued up in a certain way it seems.

All this is mostly 3v3 on Cataract. Sedna gets stuck on A LOT of edges/corners.

May 22, 2009 6:01:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Game I played today, Sedna got every heal cast fine.  Last game, I think she got "stuck" once.  So it seems semi-fixed for me; wonder why it's still affecting others so much still?

May 22, 2009 6:07:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

Try playing Sedna (Heal/Pounce) and QoT (Bramble Shield), they are the biggest offenders.

No idea what's causing it though.

May 22, 2009 6:08:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PurplePaladin,
Game I played today, Sedna got every heal cast fine.  Last game, I think she got "stuck" once.  So it seems semi-fixed for me; wonder why it's still affecting others so much still?

Maybe you played one game and I played eight games for example or maybe my games were 45 mins and yours were 20. Lots of ways to bring up the click bug scenario if someone plays more than the other.

May 22, 2009 6:09:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've gotten that bug with Oak (too), probably when casting multiple spells right after each other...don't remember when specifically though

May 22, 2009 6:11:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SVoyager,

(bug being that sometimes, your DG wont cast anything until you give it a move order and then order it to cast again. Especially annoying when you play a support DG (sedna or QoT) and you need to cast something to your ally to save him, only to find out it didnt casted and the two seconds it takes you to move and recast is sometimes enough for your ally to die).

The bug gotta happen about 5-10 times per game here.

/signed

May 22, 2009 6:25:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Istari,

I havnt spent time specifically with the goal of reproducing the bug but it shouldnt be all that hard for me to do seeing how often it happens. I'll try to get you something.

May 22, 2009 6:36:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My brother plays Sedna a lot and there have been several times that he cast heal but it won't register. Last big occurrence was when we were playing on Prison. He was by our side's left spawn portal and I was running in his direction so that I could get a heal since I was low on health and chased by 2 DGs. He had to cast heal 5 times before it actually registered. He himself was not being chased and he was just standing there, trying to get a heal off. Its so random and neither of us has found a pattern for it.

May 22, 2009 7:06:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still want a useful UI. As it is, it's only useful for telling when your health is low.

Very nice to hear about the lowered bandwidth requirement though. The rest should've worked from the start and in no way should have taken more than 1 month (!) to fix.

May 22, 2009 7:37:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very important things in that list, looking forward to them.

I am missing the crash on game launch (after the lobby master starts the game) fix tho, a lot of games have to be remade due to one player crashing. (It's usueless to play with/against an AI player)

May 22, 2009 7:40:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so another week without beeing able to play... thats just great

May 22, 2009 7:56:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The DG-goes-braindead issue shows up most for me when I'm issuing one command after another, as others have mentioned.  Most commonly with UB where I'm attempting to execute a grasp immediately before or after a spit.

Sedna's heal additionally seems to hardly ever go off if my target is moving.

May 22, 2009 7:56:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ahh ... the magical 1.01 patch, for some reason i keep thinking about Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail!!!.

Its taking (what seem to be) awhile ... but it is going to be good .

May 22, 2009 8:08:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This patch looks like a good update. Wish these updates came as fast as the stardock ones

In terms of the targetting bug everyones talking about, I find I get it most games, when I'm standing on one side of the flag point, they are on the EXACT opposite side, and I think it has to do with timings of abilities and when i tell it to attack.

But more or less, in most games I play, I get this at least once or twice, 99% of the time in the situation outlined above (or on corners as already mentioned)

Based on my situations I have always thought it was an LOS error ...

May 22, 2009 8:10:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Istari,

Ok, did some playtest with sedna and recorded the bug.

Cant find any specific cause of the issue tho. One thing that I saw is that the problem seems related to the specific target you want to heal or attack. If I wanted to heal a bugged target, it wouldnt but then healing another DG next to him worked fine. Maybe that can help.

Here are the videos I took, maybe that can start a discussion or if someone can find a pattern in those.

www.svoyager.com/bug1.mpg   : this one is me trying to heal a TB, doesnt work until i heal one of the minions (I did not move)

www.svoyager.com/bug2.mpg   : this one i tried to stomp rook, didnt work, he died quickly after it but it wasnt from the stomp.

www.svoyager.com/bug3.mpg   : on this one, i tried to heal QoT, didnt work but i think the animation worked, just not the spell itself.

www.svoyager.com/bug4.mpg   : tried to heal LE, didnt work but then again you see the animation being triggered. What is special about this one tho is that it worked after a few tries for some reason (i hadnt moved)

www.svoyager.com/bug5.mpg   : on this one, regulus didnt wanted to be healed. Had to move again to make it work.

Well, not found any causes about it but maybe ppl watching these could find a pattern.

Cheers, SV

May 22, 2009 8:24:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fantastic - after the recent updates on Stardock's side I haven't been able to play because it appears I now make all games I join stutter, which hadn't happened before.
Looks like 1.01 might fix that, and reduce some of the bandwidth requirements.

May 22, 2009 8:35:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really hope this (finally) fixes the loss of favor points issue in Pantheon.

I've stopped playing the game after losing 800 favor points multiple times and having it reset to about 35.

This has happened to me three or more times now, once just days ago. Until this is fixed, I can't see playing Pantheon again.

May 22, 2009 8:44:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

Sedna trying to heal a moving target that is behind her.

May 22, 2009 8:48:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It still happens everyonce in awhile on TB fast combo action. Usually it only happens when it is a pretty much gaurented kill, intentional(thus losing the kill because they get out of range)? ~_~

May 22, 2009 9:05:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Am i the only one who thinks that UB is too counterable, he either owns everyone or i rendered useless by shield or heal.

Also, slows need to become incrementally less effective, not cap.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.