The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: So what the hell happened?

By on May 18, 2009 7:30:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I’ll be writing a lot more on this particular issue in the coming weeks as I’ve had more time to review internal reports.

For those of you just joining us let me bring you up to speed.

Our story so far…

Demigod, a high profile, AAA action-strategy-role playing game was released on April 14th. Well, it was supposed to be released on April 14th but actually got released at Gamestop stores early due to a…miscommunication between their corporate HQ and their brick and mortar outlets.  This wouldn’t normally have been that big of a deal except this happened to be over Easter weekend and the release servers for the game weren’t yet up. Moreover, it also caused the “warez” version (i.e. there’s no copy protection on the game so the warez version meant someone bravely zipping it up and putting it up on a torrent) resulting in over 100,000 people using it – at once – before we were even back from Easter break. Suffice to say, it wasn’t a pretty picture.

For the first few days, we struggled to migrate people to a different set of servers that only legitimate users had access to. This took about 48 hours.  But during this brief window, the game was basically unplayable because you couldn’t even get online – at all.  We got whacked with some pretty negative first week reviews not surprisingly.

But our woes weren’t over yet. It became pretty clear that the NAT servers (the servers that negotiate the connection between player A and player couldn’t handle the # of users on the game resulting in a horrible online experience.  As other people have pointed out, this sort of thing isn’t unique to Demigod (i.e. plenty of other games have had rough online launches) but the big difference is that those other games had a lot more single player content whereas Demigod relies more on its multiplayer experience than most games so it was a much bigger problem.

Like most games, Demigod uses a lot of licensed code. Demigod’s awesome 3D models are powered party by Granny 3D. The videos in the game are powered by Bink. The sound is powered by Fmod. And the network connectivity was powered by Raknet.  These are all very good libraries and used by major publishers. 

But Demigod’s network requirements are somewhat unusual and demanding. First, Demigod is peer-to-peer and not client server. Everyone connects to everyone. Second, the number of people playing is unusual. Yes, some people do play 4 on 4 games of Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes but typically they’re 1 on 1 or 2 on 2. The more connections, the more complex.

The result was that it was a nightmare to get games going online.

The problems

Demigod’s connectivity problems have basically boiled down to 1 bad design decision and 1 architectural limitation.  The bad design decision was made in December of 2008 when it was decided to have the network library hand off sockets to Demigod proper.  In most games, the connection between players is handled purely by one source. For instance, in Supreme Commander, GPGNet handled the entire connection.

So in Demigod, on launch day, Alice would host a game. Tom would be connected to Alice by the network library and then that socket would be handed to Demigod.  Then, Alice and Tom would open a new socket to listen for more players to join in.  As a result, a user might end up using a half dozen ports and sockets which some routers didn’t like and it just made things incredibly complex to connect people and put a lot of strain on the servers to manage all those connections.

Now, the architectural limitation came from the way the network library’s database handled things.  We still don’t have a clear idea on why it was so limited but this was the overwhelming problem that only got resolved late last week. Here’s how it works:

Alice hosts a game. In doing so, she sends a message to the NAT server (as well as our servers). Tom wants to join so Tom clicks join and it tells the NAT server to begin connecting them.  But, it turned out that a relatively small number of people online at once would quickly result in a huge delay in messages being sent back and forth. For instance, when Tom clicks join it sends a message to the server to tell it to start connecting Tom and Alice.  But Alice might not get that message for 30 or 40 seconds. That means, for that entire time, Tom and Alice are “attempting to connect” but haven’t even really started because Alice hasn’t even gotten the message.  As more people tried to join the game, that delay could get worse and worse. If someone left the game, it could take that amount of time for the server to realize that player had left (meanwhile it was trying to connect them).

Why did it take 3 weeks to fix?

It took us a solid week to realize that this was the problem because we assumed the issue was compatibility with routers or ISPs. We worked with people to set up their port forwarding, etc.  Eventually we started looking at the time stamps but even then, when we saw the 30 to 40 second delays there was an assumption that that difference in time was only because the servers and our machines weren’t time synced.  On one of the late nights here, I began insisting on having the machines all synced via one of the atomic clock services and then we became horrified at what we found: A 30 to 40 second delay between the time the server processed a message and actually sending a response.  That time delay during peek hours could get over a minute. 

Luckily, the developer of Raknet was here last week and was able to help us dig into the bowels of the code and we were able to find ways to mitigate this problem.  Much of this is simply because Demigod is peer to peer and so it means there’s a lot of messages being sent back and forth.  A lot of our work has been in reducing the # of messages needed to connect people and writing a new network layer that was designed for P2P specifically.

PLUS, we had to write something that network gurus can tell you is pretty damn cool: Proxy sockets. So that we wouldn’t have to hand off sockets, the Impulse team was recruited onto the project and they came up with a way to not have to hand over sockets to Demigod without having to change Demigod.

Now, with that much new code, it wasn’t perfect. Friday’s update resolved things for most people but it also created problems for some people who hadn’t problems before and it caused some grief for people who were trying to play Pantheon games. Plus, you still have people who simply have difficult Internet connectivity that still have to be resolved but now you’re down to like 5% of the base.

Today and later

Right now, we’re staging an update that addresses what was mentioned above. It’ll either get released this evening or tomorrow.

On Wednesday, the plan (not promise) is to release the update that supports Proxies.  That update will also support some new command line switches:

/proxyonly (if you know you won’t be able to connect normally you can just have us host your traffic)

/noAI (will tell Pantheon and Skirmish to not allow AI players in even if you have to wait longer) – this may not make it into Wednesday but I’m hoping.

/localproxy (if you have a monster machine with a really really good network connection you can let people who can’t connect route through you which lowers lag – only do this if you have a very fast UP speed).

What else?

There are still some other things on our short list of things we need addressed and developer Gas Powered Games is working on them.

These include:

1. When people quit (for whatever reason) it looks like they’re disconnecting (complete with annoying 30 second disconnect dialog)
  2. We need a concede option.
  3. We need favor points and favor items properly stored.
  4. We need to make sure that the stats recorded are more accurate (it’s been flakey).
  5. After using an ability, some Demigods stop moving until manually given another command.

GPG is working on those 4 items and more but I don’t have an ETA yet but I’m pushing for this week.

What about the future? An FAQ

Q: What is publisher Stardock planning to do for Demigod players?

A: The plan is to send out an email this week to users who purchased Demigod prior to today with a coupon for 50% off of Demigod that they can give to their friends.   In addition, next week we will begin sending coupons for other things on Impulse to active Demigod players to help ensure a vibrant multiplayer community. We plan to keep doing that periodically.

Q: What about my pantheon stats?

A: As soon as we feel comfortable with the robustness of the stats, we are going to launch the second Epoch which will see the stats reset (the previous stats will be archived under the 1st Epoch).

As those who visit the Pantheon area know, we are taking this stuff pretty seriously.  We are looking at this from the long-term.

Q: When will more Demigods be released?

A: 2 Demigods are in development. I will have a better idea later this week when I meet with GPG on that.

Q: What about modding?

A: We have discussed this issue with GPG and I can’t make promises on this but I can tell you that what we would like to allow is for people to mod AI players (LUA) and then submit them online and let them compete to see how they do. This would encourage good AI modding.  We would also like to support mod support in Demigod proper where the Pantheon would support players downloading officially “blessed” mods and be able to play them in game.  I don’t have any ETA on this yet.

Q: What about a demo?

A: We’d probably already have a demo out if we hadn’t been messing with this.  But yes, there will be a demo.  In all likelyhood, it will probably be a multiplayer only demo since we want to reassure people when the demo comes out that connectivity is totally nailed and bullet proof.  This is different than our original plan which would have been a single player only demo with 2 demigods and 1 map. So we’re still thinking about how to do this in a way that has the most benefit to us and potential customers.

Q: How are Demigod’s sales?

A: They’re considerably better than Galactic Civilizations II’s but slightly less than Sins of a Solar Empire at the same time.  However, there are a lot of variables. Besides the online MP debacle, you have an April release versus a February release, you have a MP-centric game versus a SP-centric game (The most players I’ve ever seen online with Sins is around 500 whereas right now, mid afternoon on a Monday there’s 2065 players playing online). You also have the review difference: Sins has a review average of 88. Demigod’s average is 78 (still pretty good). If you took out the first week reviews the average jumps to 84.  Overall though, it looks like Demigod will hit 100,000 units sold before the official European release.

Q: What has Stardock learned from the Demigod release?

A: We’ve learned that you can’t treat networking as just another thing to plug in like you would a sound library or even a 3D engine. It’s a whole different animal.  With Elemental (our next game), it’s single-player focused but its MP will be server based (and I mean we literally host the game). After Demigod, I don’t ever want to hear the words “socket” or “port” again.

Q: What is your honest outlook for Demigod?

A: You know the expected marketing answer.  But my view is, the difficult launch definitely hurt the game. There’s no way around it.  Besides upsetting a lot of people anxious for a good multiplayer game, you also have the fact that those early negative reviews are going to linger.  1UP promised to re-review the game when this mess is straightened out and so I’ll be talking to them this week about that.  But still, Gamespot (6.5) and IGN (7.5) are going to linger. That’s the breaks.  One could argue we released a game that wasn’t done (we thought it was done) and that’s what you get.

Now, that said, I do think long-term the game is in good shape.  First, we will be putting a lot of effort to build the online community.  Scheduled games, strong team and clan support, pro tournaments, matchmaker filtering (let people filter out people they don’t want to play) are all coming sooner rather than later.  Those things will help immensely. 

A lot of Demigod’s long-term success depends, in my opinion, on whether we’re able to “perfect” Demigod’s online experience before a viable alternative shows up.  Right now, Demigod has the luxury of being one of the few modern RTS games that is so well suited to playing online.  It also lucked out in that Atari doesn’t release it internationally until later this month which means a huge influx of new players.

+912 Karma | 149 Replies
May 21, 2009 8:57:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@RonJeremey: I did, and now I can't get intoa single game.

May 28, 2009 12:04:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I'm not even sure where to start with this.

I think you would do well to do a little more research.

What does Impulse have to do with Demigod btw?

BTW, I'm curious, who do you think is the developer of Demigod? 

How about you start by replying to some of the points I mentioned, say, matchmaking with friends?

If you'd like to specify what I need to research then perhaps I'd be inclined to. I was under the impression that Impulse worked with Demigod to provide matchmaking and multiplayer services prior to handing the connections over to Demigod for the in-game multiplayer engine.

Furthermore, I don't recall specifying WHO was responsible for the complete mess that is Demigod. At no point did I say that the handling of the missing features was the responsibility of one party over the other. Isn't this a forum for Demigod, not just Impulse/Stardock?

Quoting ElPopo,

Imagine this game with steam and games for windows live. It would have sold 5x more due to steams popularity and actually working game connectivity due to GFWL.

I feel sorry for GPG. Great game, poor partner decision.

I agree with this statement. GFWL has a great Friends system that allows us to play together in the same game quickly and easily. DoW2 allowed me to play with my friends in Japan without the need to mess around with ports, or deal with update after update.

May 29, 2009 1:13:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I picked up the game last week, and have been very impressed.  After looking through all of what you've done to address the connection issues, I must say I'm impressed.  I didn't experience them because I was a bit late to the party, but after Sins was such a good game, I couldn't help but give you guys a fair shake on Demigod too.  So far, I'm happy about the decision.

May 29, 2009 1:41:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I'm not even sure where to start with this.

I think you would do well to do a little more research.

What does Impulse have to do with Demigod btw?

BTW, I'm curious, who do you think is the developer of Demigod? 

I think the point was that this game has been a mess
Like it or not...  Its a fact

June 4, 2009 5:40:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And before you answer with the usual "new network, high p2p player amount" etc. I just want to mention that Warcraft3, Dawn of War2 etc. work. I repeat, they WORK out of the box.

Imagine this game with steam and games for windows live. It would have sold 5x more due to steams popularity and actually working game connectivity due to GFWL.

I feel sorry for GPG. Great game, poor partner decision.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll just leave it at that.

June 4, 2009 5:42:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is a fact.

It's also a fact that as the publisher, we're not obligated one iota to produce these journals or act as a human punching bag.

In fact, you might even say, I'm done with the journals for awhile.  

June 4, 2009 10:44:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you just "Rage Quit" from journaling?    

June 4, 2009 10:48:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dangit, can't we just use the idiots for punching bags until they get the idea? 

June 4, 2009 10:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This makes me a sad panda

June 5, 2009 3:37:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think Frogboy and a lot of others have had a lot of hours of work and patience gets thin in those times. Everyone that has ever had a deadline will probably recognize it.

It's a shame if there will be no more journals for a couple of weeks, but I'd fully understand. Take a little rest, you do this job to have fun with it, not to stress you out.

I'd say Frogboy, just do your work but remember to have some fun in between, start up a game with some colleagues and see that there is still a massively fun game there to play that only gets better from now on. Leave the intensive board contact behind, fix some bugs and slowly reintroduce that great information, that we still love!, back to the board. People will probably still complain if you create a cure for cancer, it's what people do. Sadly that will never change. So just take a step back, remember what you do all of this for (for all those gamers out there that love to play this game!) and come back when you have some new energy to take a bit of the crap that is on here. There are a lot of people on here that actually DO understand what releasing a big software project is like, though I'll probably never see the scale of a project that you are facing, and those same people are the people that love the information being posted on this board, and we can wait a couple of weeks for it.

Now go off and give your daughter and wife a hug

June 5, 2009 5:04:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats BS frogboy, don't let people get you down man....I have been frustrated I admit by this game but I truly like it and truly respect you for communicating so frequently with your customers that most devs don't even give the time of day, the only other group I can think of thats as involved i not more is CCP for EVE-Online but that a different game entirely.

Keep workin on this stuff and keep talkin to us. I know, and all the people that love demigod know, that this game will be epic win a year from now, which really isn't that far away.

June 5, 2009 6:57:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It is a fact.

It's also a fact that as the publisher, we're not obligated one iota to produce these journals or act as a human punching bag.

Awww.. Don't let the ungrateful idiots get to you Frogboy. We know you're doing a great job and we appreciate it.

But it might be a good idea to take a breather for awhile, because the morons from DoTA can get tiring.

June 5, 2009 9:59:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

June 5, 2009 11:39:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It is a fact.

Your right....   Its just you would never sell any game anywhere again if you didn't fix this massive fuck up. And let the community know you are trying to work on it.  Which if you read the forums is quite a debatable claim.

It almost offends me that you would even imply that your somehow a victum in this situation.  You made the game we didn't.  We were just foolish enough to buy it.  And now to complain about picking up your own trash.  That is an absolutly rediculous response.  If I were your manager I would probably find something else for you to do then PR right now. Because responses like this are definatly not helping your company in any way.  Atleast IMO.  I would actually be curious to see what would happen if you didn't make these journals or communicate with your players.

June 5, 2009 11:51:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alpha -

You are a cancer that should be excised.  With atomic bombs, thyalidimide, and asbestos.   Get out.

June 6, 2009 12:23:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alpha: Let me be the first to say - You are a dick and you can kiss my ass.

June 6, 2009 12:36:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy it doesn't help that you respond like that, but he is misinformed, as far as I understand, and making untrue accusation and his wording makes him come across as more agressive then he needs to be.

Keep up the good work but remember how you read someone's post may not be how they intended and try not to post in anger (even though it can be tough with some of the posts I've seen).

June 6, 2009 3:49:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This thread reminds me of when I first started surfing message boards 9 years ago.  We had a saying back then: "Don't post angry."  Yes, Alpha is being an inconsiderate jerk; he has no idea how precious a communicative developer is.  As for Brad's response... I understand completely. There are times when the Dark Side calls and you just want to fry a jerk that has no idea how good he has it, and keeps busting you for all attempts to reconcile the situation.  But the Dark Side has a price, and I hope that Brad recovers his composure enough to understand this.

But there are a lot of ungrateful people in the world.  What can ya' do?  Do the best you can, and just walk away from them.  Sure, they'll curse you more, call you un-speakable names, but deep down inside... You can always hold in your mind that image of his lightning charred body crumpled to the ground, and smile.

June 6, 2009 5:43:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I were your manager I would probably find something else for you to do then PR right now.

Unless I am mistaken, Frogboy is the sole owner of Stardock. So he has lots of freedom about what he can do.

June 6, 2009 5:46:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You made the game we didn't.

Wrong. Stardock published the game. They have decided to change the licensed net code to a specific one, developped by Stardock, after identifying that it doesn't scale well. 

June 6, 2009 9:47:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really think that the communication in the initial post is excellent thinking on behalf of the DG-team. It explains some of the problems while giving an insight into dev issues that is quite uncommon (at least to me). I am looking forward to see how DG evolves.

June 6, 2009 11:30:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But the Dark Side has a price, and I hope that Brad recovers his composure enough to understand this.

Ah, let me be clear: I wasn't angry when I told that user to kiss my ass.

This issue comes up occasionally and I've posted about it before.  Here's one from last year:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/312130

To quote it:

About once a month someone, somewhere, will comment on something I've written saying how "A CEO shouldn't act so unprofessionally in public".  Over the years, I've gotten that message hundreds of times along with predictions of demise for my company due to my "public" behavior.

Obviously, the company's continued survival tends to imply that the fact that I look at customer / developer relationships as a partnership of equals rather than one of master / slave as some "customers" online seem to think is not too damaging.

And even if it were damaging,  I would still do what I do no matter what. That is my primary motivation for having a company: To do what I want.

My personal and professional objectives have always been the same: I want to do what I want to do.

That is my top priority. Freedom.

Freedom has consequences.  I am certain, beyond a doubt, that my public postings on various topics over the years has alienated some percentage of users who have encountered what I written to the point that they have decided to not purchase products and services from my company.  I'm okay with it.  It's a price I'm willing to pay to be able to do what I want.

Now, users on our sites who read my posts know how I "treat" people.  It's not that I treat people badly. I simply don't subscribe to the belief that because someone buys a product that they get a license to behave terribly.  I particularly have little patience for people whose idea of "free speech" is to flame some person, product, or company and then be taken aback when that person or representative of that product or company defends themselves.

Stardock isn't a public company. It's not investor run. It doesn't even have investors. It's my company. It's a company with around 50 people these days that I can proudly say has virtually no voluntary turn over.  How many other software or game companies of that size can make that claim?  And the reason for that is that my public attitude is my private attitude too -- we're going to do what we want to do. Not just me but the people there too.

Sure, there's a cost to doing what you want to do. I have gotten plenty of ribbing that we're making a TURN-BASED fantasy strategy game instead of making it an RTS.  But I want to make a turn-based fantasy strategy game. It won't sell as well as an RTS would but so what? What good is more money if you can't do what you want to do?

I'm 36. I've got a beautiful wife. 3 wonderful children. Plus I've got the toys. The Porsche 911 Turbo, the boat, the lake cottage, the big house, etc.  And I get to work every day with people who I really like. Not just professionally but on a personal level.  So I tend to think I'm probably doing something right. But more to the point, I'm way past the point where I have to do anything I don't want to do. So I'm not inclined to put up with crap.

Every day at Stardock is FUN.  Even during crunch-time it's FUN.  And why is it fun? Because every day we do what we want to do.

And part of doing what you want to do is being able to show some obnoxious customer the door or making clear that we don't want or need jerks using our stuff.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether I'm justified or not because I'm going to do what I want to do. And so far, it's worked out pretty well for both me, my family, my coworkers, and our customers.

To put it in a nutshell, I'm not inclined to put up with crap from some idiot on the net.  The reason is that we don't have to. And so we won't.

June 6, 2009 12:04:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

But the Dark Side has a price, and I hope that Brad recovers his composure enough to understand this.
Ah, let me be clear: I wasn't angry when I told that user to kiss my ass.

This issue comes up occasionally and I've posted about it before.  Here's one from last year:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/312130

To quote it:......

To put it in a nutshell, I'm not inclined to put up with crap from some idiot on the net.  The reason is that we don't have to. And so we won't.

BRAVO.

June 6, 2009 3:42:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm I wonder what color the Porsche is

June 6, 2009 3:52:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

So true.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.