The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Five Main Ways To Counter Venom Spit!

By on May 15, 2009 9:29:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
+26 Karma | 44 Replies
May 16, 2009 2:39:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,
Oaks shield does remove spit debuff, end of story. Stop saying it doesnt if you havent tested.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Oaks_Shield_Does_Remove_Spit/

That's new. I just tested it out. It never removed spit before, it's had to be changed in a recent patch.

May 16, 2009 6:39:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im nearly 100% sure its always been there Since beta.

May 16, 2009 10:13:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Insanetitan,
I think spit is only OP in the fact that it's a MUST use and spending skill points on it trumps anyother other UB skill (except probably your first point in foul grasp). 

I often play a Melee UB build (requires a specific favor item, as well as certain artifacts to work) in which I only put 1 point into Spit. It actually does much more damage than a maxed out Spit build, and can polish off pretty much any DG in seconds. All without the strict reliance on Spit. I'm sure others have differing builds for Unceal Beast as well...if only to show off the flexibility of this amazing game's skill/item combinations.

May 17, 2009 2:32:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,
Oaks shield does remove spit debuff, end of story. Stop saying it doesnt if you havent tested.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Oaks_Shield_Does_Remove_Spit/

Oak's shield doesn't remove spit.  I say this baselessly, without testing, and without ever playing Oak more than once, and rarely playing UB.

Quoting Fractallicon,

I often play a Melee UB build (requires a specific favor item, as well as certain artifacts to work) in which I only put 1 point into Spit. It actually does much more damage than a maxed out Spit build, and can polish off pretty much any DG in seconds. All without the strict reliance on Spit. I'm sure others have differing builds for Unceal Beast as well...if only to show off the flexibility of this amazing game's skill/item combinations.

As a Sedna player, I'd just like to say please stop using a melee build and go to a spit build.  Spit is boring and easy to counter, and I want to win.  Melee builds simply rip me up, and I hate when I see a UB that doesn't try to harass by spit and running, because it makes me think that they're either dumb or about to destroy me.

EDIT:  Oh, and Eifel 65?  What is this, 1999?

May 17, 2009 3:58:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I started off with UB as my first DG and still play it. My first builds were always reliant on spit. It's great for getting that first blow in before you pounce on an enemy DG and it's even good for laying down some continuing damage on them as they try to flee back into their towers or teleport. Nice for towers, too.

But I'm now playing with an UB without any spit at all. From the posts in this thread, you'd think I was insane for doing so, but I actually find that a pure melee UB works great. I push the points into Inner Beast, Foul Grasp (as soon as possible) and Diseased Claws if I really want a DG killer! I even channel points into attribute enhancement. Once I've levelled up a bit, grabbed Journeyman's Treads and Mage Slayer or (if it's a longer game / many players for the gold boost) Ashkendor, I've got a pretty solid build. Nothing in there is an "I Win" button. It's just a good solid build where I do everything to boost my principle of being a vicious bastard. I don't usually go so far as getting plague. Not because it isn't good - I think it's excellent - but just because it takes away from my focus. Post Mortem has to do as my means of boosting my minion killing. If there's an enemy DG in there, then I'm probably focused on it, and if there isn't then I don't need plague to deal with minions. I also tend to get ring of Namor / Namoth (?) because I love Lifestealing.

Spit is good, very good at later levels. But I actually prefer a build without it.

May 17, 2009 11:55:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oak's shield doesn't remove spit.  I say this baselessly, without testing, and without ever playing Oak more than once, and rarely playing UB

Im praying this is sarcasm

May 17, 2009 12:52:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, of course it is.

May 17, 2009 9:32:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you play against people who know what they are doing, they will grab monks, and UB will get progressively weaker later in the game as they upgrade them.  If you can tell that they are smart, I recommend starting a melee UB at level 2.

May 17, 2009 11:53:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My usual counter to Venom Spit is to rush the enemy UB as soon as he comes in range.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but a UB that is heavily invested in Spit (especially early game) is not as effective at melee combat; he relies on wearing you down over time with multiple spits. If you force him to fight you the *first* time, and drain his HP so he has to heal, spit harass is not as effective.

This really only works with TB - non-ranged heroes cannot counter spit this way, and Regulus does not have enough burst damage to kill UB early. However, hybrid TB can make short work of UB until at least level 10.

I find that many enemy UBs rely on the psychological advantage of spit, expecting me to run when they come and hit me with it. When I turn around and drop RoI + Fire Nova + Fireball, then THEY are the ones running. With Permafrost, this can even turn into a kill. UB is much more wary of attacking me after that.

May 18, 2009 1:10:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't Scroll of Restoration remove it too? If it does, add that in to your list; even though it's not the most useful item to spend 250g on.

May 18, 2009 4:22:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Restoration scroll only removes debuffs from minions.

May 25, 2009 7:43:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Venom spit have to be rework !

It has the same damages as Hammer Slam, but is 5x faster, with recast shorter (7s against 10s) and twice bigger range.

This skill ruined all my games, and the counters in the first post are just lame coz need a specific hero !

How to counter it with Rook ?! Use a favor item just against it ?

Increase recast time from 7s to 11 or 12s, reduce range from 15 to something like 7 or 5 and increase mana +10% approx.

May 25, 2009 9:58:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I prefer Ooze over Spit anyway (a huge debuff to damage dealt to you, AoE, comparable damage, and with a good Ooze build you don't have to worry about runners anyway).

May 25, 2009 10:46:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I used to have a problem with it as sedna...now I just buy monks early game and hug them.

May 28, 2009 9:17:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

Btw, buy the game

i'm german and when i wrote the post, it hadn't been released already. i have an original now

May 28, 2009 9:26:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

Because no matter what Demigod I'm playing as, I worry about my chances of winning if the other team has a UB.

That is exactly why UB needs a nerf.

Well then your not good enough atm. At high levels of competition in this game UB is hardly chosen. I have done about 3 tournies so far and UB has never been on the winning side.

Wait, this game has a metagame now? I'm sorry, but when did a game that has been out for just a bit over a month that hasn't even been patched to fix bugs, let alone balance patched, get a solid metagame?

Also, just out of curiosity, what DGs were on the winning teams?

May 28, 2009 9:43:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oak needs to go with all health upgrades if playing assassin build, plus upgrade pen as soon as possible its the only way to out-live spit and hacking of claws, plus shield = tough opponent.  I have beaten oaks but the best can sometimes get the upper hand.  I don't know the other builds.

Erebus can be harassed pretty easily IMO.  So can sedna, but she shrugs it off and might pounce you, i recommend holding off 1v1 with her until a UB gets Foul Grasp for the stun and extra damage.  Stunning the heal is hard, but I have done it, some of the time from luck but sometimes from recognizing a heal situation.

Reg can do mark of the betrayer and throw mines in the path which makes it a pain to want to go through with, but at best a reg is just gonna have UB wait until troops take mine damage and just spit anyway even with MotB.

QoT, watch out.  UB is the last place you want to be, no joke.  Shields reduce so much faster with spit, plus any reinforcement or a second DG and GG.  Plus, spit regens fast and any good UB will be carrying mana + mana regen items specifically Heart of Life, so your limited damage is a bad combo.

Rook best way to avoid spit is towerfarm, but still not very effective for repelling spit.  Melee damage yes, but I have killed rooks before with all spit who had ful towerfarm planted.

Against other UB, just mirror their actions if possible.  If he spits, you spit.  If he attacks, you attack.  Trust me when I say that dying once to another UB is educational and beneficial to you, because then you will know if you can keep looking for him to kill or not.  He will no doubt be determined for another shot if he loses, due to human ego.  If you lose to him, now you know who to avoid.

And btw TB's, ring of fire does not prevent people from moving inside it, which is the way some of you play it as.  Against rook maybe that strat works, but UB is fast and takes little damage to give you a huge amount of spit.  Any experienced player will know if they can withstand the initial fire TB damage burst, or the effects of ice TB, and if they can survive it then a UB will be able to put a fresh batch of spit on ye and start hacking with some claws.  Slowed movement speed is delicious at this point, plus no movement upgrade = Smote

May 29, 2009 1:27:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wait, this game has a metagame now? I'm sorry, but when did a game that has been out for just a bit over a month that hasn't even been patched to fix bugs, let alone balance patched, get a solid metagame?

Been playing Demigod from the start of the beta - thats about 8 months or so. Yes, its changed a lot, but still gives me a good idea of its metagame.

And it has been balance patched - Erebus nerf. Thats the only noticeable imba atm that everyone agreed on. Apart from some underpowered items Im pretty sure most people agree the balance is extremely good for Demigod.

June 3, 2009 9:44:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Milskidasith,

So first you say that his argument is baseless. And then you ask him for more details?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.