The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Five Main Ways To Counter Venom Spit!

By on May 15, 2009 9:29:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
+26 Karma | 44 Replies
May 15, 2009 10:52:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tell me what you think.

It makes me sad that you tell everyone how to beat me. QQ

May 15, 2009 11:35:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Except that Oak and QoT's shield, and Sedna's heal are "counters" to any damage at all. As if these 5 "counters" aren't obvious.

Also, I'm not so sure that Oak's shield removes debuffs at level 1, because I've cast shield just before being hit by spit, and after the 3 seconds were up, I was taking damage from it. I've also cast it just after being hit by spit, and still took damage.

Just because something has counters doesn't mean it is not overpowered. I think that spit is maybe marginally OP, nothing huge. The range should be cut in half, the cast time increased to 1 second so it's actually possible to interrupt, and the mana cost slightly increased. Also, 2 spits shouldn't stack.

May 15, 2009 11:45:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think spit is only OP in the fact that it's a MUST use and spending skill points on it trumps anyother other UB skill (except probably your first point in foul grasp). 

So basically you have a skill (spit) that's effectively at higher levels than other players' skills since the other players' skill points are distributed around further. If you last 'til later levels in a game (~13+), you'll notice that the effects of spit aren't as devastating. 

Long story short: UB needs another bread and butter skill to invest in.  Personally, I'd like to see a buff in beastial wrath; I also wouldn't mind seeing another buff to ooze...but I think that's just me being evil.

EDIT: un-"wall of text"-ed  it.

May 15, 2009 11:51:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My usual counter to Venom Spit is to stack hp/regen. MoTB on the other hand is a major pain in the ass.

May 15, 2009 12:32:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Except that Oak and QoT's shield, and Sedna's heal are "counters" to any damage at all. As if these 5 "counters" aren't obvious.

Oaks Shield and Sedna's heal actually removes the debuff, so its a counter. It actually stops the DoT. With QoT's shield im just pointing out to people that after being hit by spit, and casting shield, you will have taken no damage from it.

Also, I'm not so sure that Oak's shield removes debuffs at level 1, because I've cast shield just before being hit by spit, and after the 3 seconds were up, I was taking damage from it. I've also cast it just after being hit by spit, and still took damage.

Just tested again. Basically, it removes the debuff completely, however if you do get hit by it while shielded you take the damage. Ill add that in.

May 15, 2009 12:44:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just because something has counters doesn't mean it is not overpowered

When did I say it wasnt overpowered? I just said how to counter it...
I do however think its not OP

I think spit is only OP in the fact that it's a MUST use and spending skill points on it trumps anyother other UB skill (except probably your first point in foul grasp).

As if these 5 "counters" aren't obvious.

First of all its called a "Tip" - mostly for new players to enjoy and its not something outstanding. Many new players wouldnt have known that Sedna's heal III removes the debuff completely, or that Oak's shield removes the debuff or that Erebus's mist does and that there is a favour item that removes it completely.. There are other indepth guides if you want to read those. In fact you thought Oak's shield doesnt remove the debuff, so you learnt something new from this guide

May 15, 2009 12:57:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

In fact you thought Oak's shield doesnt remove the debuff, so you learnt something new from this guide

it doesnt. at least it does not in v .91 which i am playing

May 15, 2009 1:23:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's also important to note that sometimes the best thing to do is ignore it.  While I do play Sedna, and can heal it too, it's important to realize what makes it not OP.  45 damage/s is not a big deal.  Any buffs to hp regen chip away at that until it's near nothing.  If a UB is just hit-and-running, DGs with good health/health regen can often ignore it.  I've seen other DGs worry about it, and UB's great at CHASING.  If you stand your ground, he's actually a lot weaker.  Further, if he's hit-and-running, he's got little/no mana for his other skills.  Overrated.

May 15, 2009 2:48:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PhantomOfAres,
It's also important to note that sometimes the best thing to do is ignore it.  While I do play Sedna, and can heal it too, it's important to realize what makes it not OP.  45 damage/s is not a big deal.  Any buffs to hp regen chip away at that until it's near nothing.  If a UB is just hit-and-running, DGs with good health/health regen can often ignore it.  I've seen other DGs worry about it, and UB's great at CHASING.  If you stand your ground, he's actually a lot weaker.  Further, if he's hit-and-running, he's got little/no mana for his other skills.  Overrated.

While I generally agree with the Original poster, I do think that you are rather low balling this.  45 dps is actually quite a bit.  Health regen triggers anyway, so you could make the same argument about any non lethal attack.  Even then, 45 is level one... the ability does 150 dp/s at level 4, plus initial damage.  That is not insignificant in any way shape or form.

However, I think a lot of people do not know about effects that dispel the spit, and often blind themselves to it.  If you are playing 2 v 2 against a random DG and an unclean beast, ignoring a favor item, or ability that could negate one opponents 'most powerful' ability is just silly.

May 15, 2009 3:03:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And just for the info, I think...actually im 100% sure that UB spit is NOT overpowered at all, its just ive heard lots of people saying it is. It has never really been a problem for me - especially since I usually always play one of the generals which can all counter it.

it doesnt. at least it does not in v .91 which i am playing

as I mentioned before, if someone casts spit on you when you have a shield on then yes it will do damage, but if after being hit by spit you cast shield it will remove the debuff.

Btw, buy the game

May 15, 2009 3:16:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The one issue I have with that is that all the counters are situational.  You either need a general-class DG to be present with you at all times or you need to pick a specific favour item (presuming favour is even enabled in the first place).  This doesn't help for the general case; Sedna won't always be there to cover the TB's ass, and the UB is watching and waiting for that opportunity to come up.

Surviving spit, and doing so well enough to keep pushing your lane, is not trivial and requires a lot more than just tagging along with the right demigod or picking the right items.  There will come a time in the game where you will need to hold your lane on your own, and if you've just been relying on Sedna's heal all game, you could very easily die.

May 15, 2009 4:33:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As Regulus, I really didn't have a problem with UB until I had the privilage of playing against one particular UB player.  because of his build, I could not teleport, outrun, or drink a potion. Once he hit me, I couldn't outrun him even with that wand of speed. I've now spent all day at work trying to figure out how to counter *his* build. Unfortunately, it screws up my auto attack build royally. 

The symbol of purity is great and all but the cooldown factor really doesn't help the situation. My traditional favour item took care of all my mana worries. Decisions decisions

May 15, 2009 4:37:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The one issue I have with that is that all the counters are situational.
Well thats what building a good team is all about. If your put up agaisnt a UB and you often struggle with spit, its only your fault if no one took a general or took the Symbol of Purity (which anyone can get).

Of course you cant counter it every time with no thought or planning - that would just make it useless.

There will come a time in the game where you will need to hold your lane on your own, and if you've just been relying on Sedna's heal all game, you could very easily die..

Well if your Rook you should have lots of HP and possible armour - the counter to UB. And by putting up towers you should be able to easily hold your lane vs a UB if your playing well.

If your Unclean Beast, well its spit vs spit so you cant really complain.

And if your any of the generals, you have a nice counter to it (I admit QoT's is a bit less of a "counter") and so that should be no problem.

The only two characters you will have problems with spit is are Regulus and TB - whom are both ranged. And if you ask me, if a TB or Regulus could hold a lane vs UB then that would just be plain stupid.

May 16, 2009 6:24:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A simple thing I think that might help the balance is if Bestial Wrath was an instant switch it would be useful enough that spit might not be as amazing.  I have tried non-spit builds and they can do really well mid to late game but early game it's hard to compete with a good spit build.

May 16, 2009 6:28:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Spit is only borderline OP because of it's range, not because of the damage/mana ratio.

UB is a melee DG and therefore his Split ability range should be reduced to something just slightly out of melee range at most.

May 16, 2009 6:42:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dalzk very nice guide

May 16, 2009 6:58:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dalzk very nice guide

Thank you

May 16, 2009 8:40:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

as I mentioned before, if someone casts spit on you when you have a shield on then yes it will do damage, but if after being hit by spit you cast shield it will remove the debuff.

Just wanted to note that shield does not remove debuffs until you have the 3rd shield upgrade (level 7). I play oak all the time and the first two levels of shield do not counter spit except to the reduce the amount of time of its effect. 

May 16, 2009 8:53:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

while costly orb of defiance is another possible way to counter if you cant choose the symbol of purity

May 16, 2009 11:40:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting danielb23,

Quoting DalzK, reply 10

Just wanted to note that shield does not remove debuffs until you have the 3rd shield upgrade (level 7). I play oak all the time and the first two levels of shield do not counter spit except to the reduce the amount of time of its effect. 

Wrong, Shield level does not matter., Shield after Spit has been cast removes the DoT, it's even one of the tips given by the game with oak loading screen.

May 16, 2009 11:46:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RamzaBehoulve,

Quoting danielb23, reply 18
Quoting DalzK, reply 10

Wrong, Shield level does not matter., Shield after Spit has been cast removes the DoT, it's even one of the tips given by the game with oak loading screen.

Sorry, but you're the one that's wrong. Shield level does matter. Shield III removes debuffs (as stated, level 7), and Shield IV(level 10) heals for 600 damage. Shield I and II ony make you immune to damage for 3-4 seconds.

May 16, 2009 11:50:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im going to test for the third time, and make a video this time of it

May 16, 2009 11:51:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is an easy way to tell if UB is overpowered.

Because no matter what Demigod I'm playing as, I worry about my chances of winning if the other team has a UB.

That is exactly why UB needs a nerf.

May 16, 2009 12:54:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because no matter what Demigod I'm playing as, I worry about my chances of winning if the other team has a UB.

That is exactly why UB needs a nerf.

Well then your not good enough atm. At high levels of competition in this game UB is hardly chosen. I have done about 3 tournies so far and UB has never been on the winning side.

May 16, 2009 1:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oaks shield does remove spit debuff, end of story. Stop saying it doesnt if you havent tested.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Oaks_Shield_Does_Remove_Spit/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.