The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Monday update in the works

By on May 11, 2009 10:40:46 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

On Friday we released a new update that included the “breaththru” tech and got great results for those who were having match making issues. It had one logic bug that we’re fixing now (if you can’t connect to 1 person it’ll stop trying to connect to anyone else) which should make a significant difference.  The plan is to get that update up this afternoon (EST).

After today’s update the GPG and Stardock teams will be working on two different things.

The Stardock team has the developer of Raknet here in the office this week to help us improve the NAT facilitation code.  The Impulse team has come up with ways to make Demigod internally a client/server game without having to change Demigod as well as hooking up the game to the proxy servers. 

The GPG team is working on updates to encourage…better behavior by users in terms of dealing with people who disconnect along with some balance changes and some work on the in-game connectivity.

When that happens, we’ll probably release that as v1.01 and start the second epoch (stats reset, player stats reset with access to their first epoch stats in their account). 

This will be the end of the “Beta” patches (for the foreseeable future anyway) though as we don’t want to split the community.

Stay tuned.

+912 Karma | 119 Replies
May 11, 2009 7:52:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My experience is that developers generate eta roughly via:

min(fBestCaseScenario,fWorstCaseScenario).  Maybe it's human nature .

Anyway, arguing with malcontents isn't going to change much here, in fact I think any posts not directly updating people at this point will be perceived as 'time wasted not programming!'

I'm looking forward to the patch, and good luck in testing it out!

May 11, 2009 7:53:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Quoting The_Witchdocta, reply 22
What planet do you live on?  Asking the ETA for a patch after the current patch, which has not been release, is a retarded question.  I may not agree with having to beta test their software since release, but one area where the publisher has excelled in communication with the community about the status of upcoming patches.  Any company that gives you an ETA on a future patch like you are asking is blowing smoke up your a@@.  Just don't choke on the smoke.

I guess I live on the planet where the following can be posted but it's forbidden to ask an ETA on it.

The GPG team is working on updates to encourage…better behavior by users in terms of dealing with people who disconnect along with some balance changes and some work on the in-game connectivity.

When that happens, we’ll probably release that as v1.01 and start the second epoch (stats reset, player stats reset with access to their first epoch stats in their account).

I'd rather have smoke blown up my ass than be ignored.

May 11, 2009 7:57:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Let's see, you wrote:

Thanks jerk, as if I can't read. Where did I ever mention a relationship between today's update and 1.01? Oh that's right, I didn't.  You should learn to read "IMO." It's a totally legitimate question to ask for an ETA on something that's mentioned...especially considering that this is an unfinished product when it comes to the factors mentioned. Don't make dense assumptions and don't bother responding with stuff that isn't at all helpful..AKA if you don't know what you're talking about, don't respond.

and then

You know what's appropriate? Having these near countless issues situated long before now. I gave this game time, but now we're at a point where this is just dumb.  Yeah, yeah fanboys, flame on.

And you're complaining that I'm not being "professional" enough with you.

Demigod has had its share of fail but I think GPG is more to blame than Stardock.  I'm having a lan this weekend and unfortunately trying to get 4 of us online in a 4v4 is gonna be next to impossible (have tried it with 3 already).  Maybe in a few months it'll be doable but its a disappointment that it isn't now.

May 11, 2009 7:57:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh... developers rarely if ever respond to those kinds of quarries... i think the best answer you can hope for is Soon.  Probably meaning weeks not months.  And possibly days not weeks.    And I think this is a reasonable expectation given the timeframe they've taken with other patches for this game.

If he gives an ETA, regardless of how vague, he's going to wind up dealing with a bunch of whiney "where's the patch" posts like he's got today... don't press a developer on release dates.  It's bad manners.  They're going to get it out as soon as they can and their track record should give some indication of the general timeframe they're shooting for.

So for not responding to the question I side with Frogboy.  For Frogboy's behavior, honestly I side with the Witchdocta.  It's seems like an overreaction and a little childish, especially coming from the CEO of a company I respect.

Now how about everyone just settle down and we enjoy a nice quiet evening in anticipation of some connection-problem-free Demigod.

v 1.01 will out out "soon."

May 11, 2009 7:59:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Let's see, you wrote:

Thanks jerk, as if I can't read. Where did I ever mention a relationship between today's update and 1.01? Oh that's right, I didn't.  You should learn to read "IMO." It's a totally legitimate question to ask for an ETA on something that's mentioned...especially considering that this is an unfinished product when it comes to the factors mentioned. Don't make dense assumptions and don't bother responding with stuff that isn't at all helpful..AKA if you don't know what you're talking about, don't respond.
and then

You know what's appropriate? Having these near countless issues situated long before now. I gave this game time, but now we're at a point where this is just dumb.  Yeah, yeah fanboys, flame on.
And you're complaining that I'm not being "professional" enough with you.

Yeah see all i said was keep up with the times... if it pissed you off that much because i mis-understood you well then sir calm down.

You say your mad cuz frogboy got unprofessional with you? I responded and told you "THEY PROB DONT HAVE A ETA YET" ... and you get mad? You literally are a hippocrit. You want people to treat you like your a king on a pillow chair'd throne ... yet i respond and you fly off the handle ... was me really saying "Keep up with the times imo" piss you off?

I should learn to read also? I did ... you asked for a ETA on 1.01 and i said THEY PROB DONT HAVE ONE .... I just was telling you its a later update incase you were trying to ask if it was today ... OTHER than that ... thats all i did.

Honestly kid you can't expect Frogboy to treat you nice when you can't even treat others nice. And thx frogboy for stickin up for me in a way ... i miss-read earlier and didn't even see that post calling me a jerk and flying off the handle. He deserved for you to be straight rude to him .. he is to everyone else.

So doc want your answer 100% so we can all stop ranting and use this thread FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE UPDATE TODAY ? ......................

ETA: UNKOWN --- due to lack of info from GPG and i highly doubt Frogboy knows either.

May 11, 2009 8:05:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Makerz,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 16Let's see, you wrote:

You say your mad cuz frogboy got unprofessional with you? I responded and told you "THEY PROB DONT HAVE A ETA YET" ... and you get mad? You literally are a hippocrit. You want people to treat you like your a king on a pillow chair'd throne ... yet i respond and you fly off the handle ... was me really saying "Keep up with the times imo" piss you off?

I should learn to read also? I did ... you asked for a ETA on 1.01 and i said THEY PROB DONT HAVE ONE .... I just was telling you its a later update incase you were trying to ask if it was today ... OTHER than that ... thats all i did.

You're totally right. Props for putting me in my place. You still came off with a condescending tone..so that's what bugged me I guess.

May 11, 2009 8:06:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ETA on 1.0.1: Soon.

Serious answer: Frogboy didn't answer the first two times because he has no idea. Some of their previous estimates proved to be way off (not due to lack of effort, mind you), and rather then come up with what would be a wild guess, he didn't say anything. Nothing wrong with that.

May 11, 2009 8:29:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This sort of asking a question repeatedly and then getting passive-aggressive when they don't get a response is what people call needy, insecure, and high maintenance behavior.

If Frogboy had to answer every question that's been asked of him on the forums or in chat, he might as well quit his job and stop sleeping.

May 11, 2009 8:32:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Just got this note from GPG. Not for today's update but for the next one (which is likely going to be v1.01):

[BALANCE] Lord Erebus Bite

Bite's Mana Cost increased, Damage decreased, Armor Reduction decreased.

Mana Cost increased from 300/420/500/595 to 350/500/650/800.

Damage and health gain decreased from 300/500/700/900 to 250/425/600/775.

Armor reduction decreased from to 250/400/600/800 250/400/550/700.

Ok...thats a bit much. Instead nerf heart of life, up energy to +100, done. Seriously changing both cost and dmg will kill this...

May 11, 2009 9:00:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting matrix7th,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 22Just got this note from GPG. Not for today's update but for the next one (which is likely going to be v1.01):

[BALANCE] Lord Erebus Bite

Bite's Mana Cost increased, Damage decreased, Armor Reduction decreased.

Mana Cost increased from 300/420/500/595 to 350/500/650/800.

Damage and health gain decreased from 300/500/700/900 to 250/425/600/775.

Armor reduction decreased from to 250/400/600/800 250/400/550/700.

Ok...thats a bit much. Instead nerf heart of life, up energy to +100, done. Seriously changing both cost and dmg will kill this...

HEY. Lets not get carried away.  If you nerf heart of life I wont be able to buy it on every hero and dominate games where the other team doesn't know to buy it.  Don't take that joy away from me!

May 11, 2009 9:52:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Boy, they sure took a huge bite out of Erebus

May 11, 2009 10:52:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

If you thought I had a decent level of professionalism then you were mistaken. 

This is pretty sad Frogboy.   You must realize that you are now a big part of the face of the game, for the sake of the game and the rest of your team you need to have a decent level of professionalism.  That is the position you have put yourself in and you have a certain responsibility.

You don't need to be a kiss ass but you seem to be replying to particular posts negatively which you could just ignore, and spend the time positively on others that are asking legitimate questions.

My opinion anyway.

May 12, 2009 12:31:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ignoring a guy like The_Witchdocta is not going to make him stop posting like a toolbot. I don't blame or hold anything against Frogboy telling him off, and neither should anyone else. Being a customer does not mean you get to be an ass

May 12, 2009 12:40:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't mean you get much of anything else, either, apparently. 

Yeah, the reaction I originally exhibited towards one party involved was an overreaction based on my own mistake. That does not mean I didn't still have a valid point regarding a reference to a simple question. I respect those of you that have the "Everything'll be fine" and "They're working their hardest" attitude..as you exhibit more patience than I'll ever have...but don't try to tell me I don't have the right to ask questions or voice my thoughts.

May 12, 2009 12:45:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regardless, you are obviously going to get many posts like that, and there is no reason why they can't be handled more politely by company representatives.  The fact is frogboy is a rep, and his actions reflect on the whole company and the game - in addition to that he should be well aware that the frustration of customers is justified, considering many of us have spent more time in the lobby then playing the game.  Quite frankly in the state the game was released, stardock should be kissing ass.

Anyhow just my thoughts.. we have been through this is other posts and frogboy did say he was sorry, so I'm kinda surprised to see it again.

May 12, 2009 5:08:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope you're gonna tell us when you reset the stats

May 12, 2009 10:30:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The 205 mana increase (35%) might be excessive, might not.  The new damage sounds fine and the armor change will hardly make a difference.  If people go into negative, they'll still be screwed, if they don't it'll be a completely unnoticable change.

But it pretty much sounds fine to me.

May 12, 2009 11:17:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah by the time you get your last bite mana isn't normally much of an issue - so it probably won't make a difference

May 12, 2009 12:26:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am really trying to stay cool and not to rant, but it's getting harder and harder...

Yesterday I uninstalled the useless beta patch and had 2 nice 3on3 games. Today, with the new patch I was not able to get a custom game going (the usual problems) and then tried a Skirmish since Frogboy had recommended doing this. Well, guess what, I got a 3on3 with 4 F***ING bots in the game. Argh!!!

Here's hoping for Thursday (or whenever the patch is released)... I'm slightly frustrated though...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.