The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Monday update in the works

By on May 11, 2009 10:40:46 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

On Friday we released a new update that included the “breaththru” tech and got great results for those who were having match making issues. It had one logic bug that we’re fixing now (if you can’t connect to 1 person it’ll stop trying to connect to anyone else) which should make a significant difference.  The plan is to get that update up this afternoon (EST).

After today’s update the GPG and Stardock teams will be working on two different things.

The Stardock team has the developer of Raknet here in the office this week to help us improve the NAT facilitation code.  The Impulse team has come up with ways to make Demigod internally a client/server game without having to change Demigod as well as hooking up the game to the proxy servers. 

The GPG team is working on updates to encourage…better behavior by users in terms of dealing with people who disconnect along with some balance changes and some work on the in-game connectivity.

When that happens, we’ll probably release that as v1.01 and start the second epoch (stats reset, player stats reset with access to their first epoch stats in their account). 

This will be the end of the “Beta” patches (for the foreseeable future anyway) though as we don’t want to split the community.

Stay tuned.

+912 Karma | 119 Replies
May 11, 2009 10:44:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice! First post!

Keep up the great work guys, i´m really looking forward to this patch going live to unite the beta community with the "non-beta" game community again, since its really hard to get a pantheon game going right now with the split communitys!

Also the changes seem to head in the right direction!

Any word on if this fixes the annoying stuck-when-issuing-attack-command? or non-responsiveness when casting skill after issuing attack order? (happens only sometimes but frequent enough to be really annoying right now..)

May 11, 2009 10:48:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

n1 to hear that!!

Hey Frogboy is that possible to write Topics like "Demigod: 09-05-11" to let us know whats new and whats "older".

Quoting NeoVain,

Any word on if this fixes the annoying stuck-when-issuing-attack-command? or non-responsiveness when casting skill after issuing attack order? (happens only sometimes but frequent enough to be really annoying right now..)

Would be really cool when they fix it,...u need a really good movement espencially with regulus!

May 11, 2009 10:48:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, will making the game a client/server style game fix the issues people are having with supposed ISP p2p limiting? For example one of my good friends plays 2v2 fine, but in 3v3 he is constantly spiking from 100ms to 1000ms.

May 11, 2009 10:53:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aremar,
Hey Frogboy is that possible to write Topics like "Demigod: 09-05-11" to let us know whats new and whats "older".

Use the frontpage www.demigodthegame.com to see latest 6 journal entries.

May 11, 2009 10:54:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

>encourage…better behavior by users in terms of dealing with people who disconnect.

If they are going to do this, may i suggest two options.

• Penalty free disconnect at the start of the game (too laggy).
  • An option to concede the game, possible a majority vote for the team?, i really hate the mop up that occurs at the end.
May 11, 2009 10:54:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the update Let's hope you guys don't run into any more issues and both patches this week make it out on time!

May 11, 2009 10:54:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting chevelleking,
Frogboy, will making the game a client/server style game fix the issues people are having with supposed ISP p2p limiting? For example one of my good friends plays 2v2 fine, but in 3v3 he is constantly spiking from 100ms to 1000ms.

This is nothing to do with p2p limiting from ISP's (they would be "limiting" 1v1 just as much as 2v2 or 3v3, its all p2p in their eyes), its a problem with the Game.

May 11, 2009 10:56:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i played the beta last night and saw sedna turn to attack when i used the wand of speed, not sure if this is what you meant but it's still there. i guess this is one of the things Frogboy mentions is being looked at by GPG.

p.s. as one of those who's had issues ever since the game was released (though none during the original beta) may i share in the w00t! Demigod lives again, my never ending respect for SD continues (despite this near death experience;))

May 11, 2009 11:03:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is nothing to do with p2p limiting from ISP's (they would be "limiting" 1v1 just as much as 2v2 or 3v3, its all p2p in their eyes), its a problem with the Game.

No, some ISPs actually limit the number of P2P connections allowed, which is why being connected to 1 other person (1v1) or 3 (2v2) might be fine, but 9 other people (5v5) might be wonky.

May 11, 2009 11:11:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, some ISPs actually limit the number of P2P connections allowed, which is why being connected to 1 other person (1v1) or 3 (2v2) might be fine, but 9 other people (5v5) might be wonky.

I once had an ISP (line-of-sight wireless broadband) who tried to shut off our service--they claimed that we were obviously abusing the connection because we had traffic on more than 10 ports at once. After pointing out that Firefox alone can open upwards of 20 when you use FasterFox or similar addons, they grudgingly reinstated service. So yeah.

May 11, 2009 11:17:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The GPG team is working on updates to encourage…better behavior by users in terms of dealing with people who disconnect along with some balance changes and some work on the in-game connectivity.

Stay tuned.

w00t

May 11, 2009 11:27:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any news on replays?

Thanks Frog

May 11, 2009 11:27:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"client/server game"

Some dedicated servers now set around the world? 

May 11, 2009 11:29:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would be really cool when they fix it,...u need a really good movement espencially with regulus!

No they wont fix this.

This bug has been in since the start of the beta and they havent even mentioned anything about fixing it.

May 11, 2009 11:33:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

No they wont fix this.

This bug has been in since the start of the beta and they havent even mentioned anything about fixing it.

Just think of it this way.. for each time you uttered a loud profanity because some enemy Demigod escaped after this bug, imagine that someone else probably does the same thing with your Demigod.

May 11, 2009 11:38:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How can that not be a top priority?

Frequent and extensive updates are great, but shouldn't part of the deal include actually fixing things that need fixing?

This is the first real talk of game updates post-connectivity... and it's still about more connectivity and doesn't address any of the other fundamental issues.   It's concerning... but we'll see what happens.  We can't judge until we see a complete list of changes, but I for one would very much prefer to see the fixes of other major bugs and the addition of other essential features (some HUD stuff and Replays) before anything else.

May 11, 2009 11:39:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol

"Demigod: promoting profanity since 2009"

May 11, 2009 11:39:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That bug does drive me insane

May 11, 2009 11:42:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, RE: the occasional ignoring skill cast bug. 

How can this not be a top priority?

All the frequent updates are great, but if they don't fix stuff that needs fixing it kind of defeats the purpose.

May 11, 2009 11:59:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

No they wont fix this.

It's already fixed in the beta and thus will be in the release.

May 11, 2009 12:01:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i played the beta last night and saw sedna turn to attack when i used the wand of speed, not sure if this is what you meant but it's still there. i guess this is one of the things Frogboy mentions is being looked at by GPG.

These two drive me NUTS and both still exist in the current beta.

edit: Just saw this

It's already fixed in the beta and thus will be in the release.

No, they are NOT fixed. Neither of them. I have the beta and I am still experiencing both of these problems.

May 11, 2009 12:17:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting muusbolla,

No, they are NOT fixed. Neither of them. I have the beta and I am still experiencing both of these problems.

Seconded. Sorry Frogboy, but it is absolutely not fixed.

May 11, 2009 12:18:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will investigate. They're supposed to be fixed.

May 11, 2009 12:24:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my fingers are crossed. 

May 11, 2009 12:25:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Will investigate. They're supposed to be fixed.

It seems to be happening less, if that's any consolation

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000421   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.