The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How should Stardock make up for the DG online fiasco?

By on April 27, 2009 10:17:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

schlista

Join Date 04/2009
+2

Obviously they need to fix the garbage netcode they are using.  But outside of that for those of us that jumped in early to play this game only to be met with frustrations and not being able to play the game against an all human player match should they offer some reparations for our suffering?

For example, 75% off of any software in their library? If there is ever a DG2 or DG expansion (that's a big if as this game may not last very long due to the poor reviews due to the bad net code) they could give us 50% off.

How about a custom favor item that only people who suffered by buying the game before they fixed it can use?  Maybe a customized symbol on your DG during the game of a broken heart symbolizing our pain.

Any other ideas?

Locked Post 94 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 29, 2009 11:26:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
(not likely at this point since I am one of 'them')
Oh, you're one of 'them' now, huh? Off with your head!

April 29, 2009 11:29:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you really start page 4 of the thread quoting page 1?

Bad fox!

April 29, 2009 11:41:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is nothing wrong with Stardock, their method is one of the best I've seen in giving consumers feedback on whats actually going on, which is more and more essential as gaming is growing into a more community centred beast.

That said, everyone has the right to complain about a product they have paid for and expect to be, at least, in some working state. I can appreciate why many people are reacting like the OP, although they may not grasp the full depth of the situation. But, the fact remains that if you pay out for a completed product and recieve what has been described as "a glorified beta" then you would understandably be upset.

What matters now is not claiming refunds or discounts, but providing clear and concise feedback to help make this game great and in turn, Stardock to act swiftly on this feedback and retain the respect of paying customers.

April 29, 2009 12:00:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

BTW: When is this supposed to be fixed any way?  I read frogboys post about how it is fixed and they can move on to other things like balance (unless I misunderstood what he was saying). For many it's not fixed, so I hope they haven't moved on to fixing other things.

April 29, 2009 12:18:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Did you really start page 4 of the thread quoting page 1?
Bad fox!
No. I actually quoted reply 75. Quoting seems to take replies per page rather than replies per thread.

Anny fail!

April 29, 2009 12:26:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting seems to take replies per page rather than replies per thread.

So it does... *rings the Bara bell*

April 29, 2009 5:01:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
As a die-hard Stardock fanboy  . . I din't become one because I was brainwashed . . I became one because of their great products and great support.

At some point, it's OK to have a vested interest in something that you believe in and want to defend it.  At another point, if they burn through the karma they accrued with me (not likely at this point since I am one of 'them') I would cease being a fanboy and be neutral.  If the failure to produce continued I would stop purchasig thier products.  If they then came to my house and kicked my dog I would be upset.

Fanboys are earned by a compnay and Stardock has earned more than a few.

So very true!  Karma for you...

April 29, 2009 5:07:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sorceresss,

Quoting KenoLFD, reply 4 Constant communication, legitimate effort, and CEO transparency

Describes quite well Stardock's stellar level of high-quality customer service & gamer fellowship.

Quoting ShadowMastiff2468,

Quoting Renevent, reply 8

Quoting KenoLFD,
reply 4
Constant communication, legitimate effort, and CEO transparency isn't enough for the Modern Entitlement Baby?

My thoughts exactly.

+1 karma for you!

+1! I follow the lead on the short yet oh so true comment

No doubt.  QFT+++

April 29, 2009 5:08:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
April 27, 2009 22:23:23

Constant communication, legitimate effort, and CEO transparency isn't enough for the Modern Entitlement Baby?

^^^This is right on the mark!^^^ 

April 29, 2009 7:04:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting towarf,

April 27, 2009 22:23:23

^^^This is right on the mark!^^^ 

But yet if you read the latest update it appears Frogboy is taking what you call the entitlement baby serious as he knows this is killing his business.  If you read his last line...he talks about giving out more free stuff to make up for this fiasco.

April 29, 2009 7:11:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This?

We are also going to start some pinned topics on things we to expand the game with (for free) as the connectivity mess gets sorted out. 

Topics will be:

New Demigod #1
New Demigod #2
How do you want Clans to work
Group Joins
This was all planned long before release.

April 29, 2009 7:28:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Transparent CEO, good

Obvious effort to fix a broken product, good

Effort to talk about the great future of said product, good

Spectacular gameplay (when it works), good

Community of passionate gamers supporting company, good

Smackdowns on the forum by CEO, funny

Ability of company to get game into workable shape, hopeful

Lack of ability to play a game one purchased, frustrating

Getting flamed because you expect a working product at retail, frustrating

Lets keep it real people.

April 30, 2009 10:37:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Transparent CEO, good

Watching people whine, priceless

(and this wasn't directed at you, I was just adding on)

April 30, 2009 11:04:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting schlista,

How is asking what you think Stardock should do to make up for their error flamebaiting?  This is only a one way flame war...with the stardock fanboy posse leading the charge.  I'm trying to help if only people would take off their fanboy goggles and understand that they screwed up very badly with this release.  Now let's accept that and make this a constructive discussion about what they can do to turn this into a positive for gamers that were caught up in not being able to play the game they bought online.  Is that really asking for too much?  If the best answer is to tell the gamer not to play it and get a refund...ok that's an answer, but it's a very sad one at that.  Good luck trying to grow the fanbase with that attitude.

If your goal is really to help people understand that they screwed up (or more specifically, let Stardock know they screwed up) then I think your effort is completely wasted. Frogboy has posted several times that this was a really bad launch, and the precise reasons behind it. Turns out they had a very solid product after testing, but their testing didn't account for some things they didn't see coming at launch, which broke the game.

As far as your second question, how to turn this into a positive? You can't turn it into a positive. You can wait for them to fix the game (which they are definitely doing), or you can get your money back. Expecting more is greedy.

Quoting KenoLFD,

Yup, but in my experience in customer service, the whiniest brats who expect the most entitlement by far are the baby boomer generation.

May 2, 2009 10:24:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

schlista,

So quit your damn bitching and contact sales about getting a refund already.  I believe Frogboy stated that (in a thread I can't find atm... ) in fact they would give refunds for unhappy customers (in light of these connection etc. issues).  Don't quote me if I'm wrong...hehe  

In fact, I remember (with fondness...hehe) a particularily loud-mouthed piece in Sins of a Solar Empire who was told in no uncertain terms by Frogboy himself (CEO of stardock) to quit his bitching, contact sales, get his money back and that he would be barred forever from purchasing another Stardock product just so he would shut it!........ I couldn't stop lol'ing all day!

As usual, Frogboy FTW! 

Wow that is some bad customer service.

But the good news is frogboy appears to agree wtih schlista (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/350280)

So all those that were calling schlista names should thank him as it appears now frogboy is in full agreement with schlista and wants to make it up to the early adopters by giving them 50% off a 2nd copy of demigod.  I'd rather it be 50% of any game in the library, but it's a start.

Schlista just owned everyone in this thread that was getting on his case.  Or is that frogboy just owned them?  I'm not sure but fact is there are several owned people...everyone should give schlsta some karma for helping you get a discount on a 2nd copy of demigod.

May 2, 2009 10:28:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Somehow, I doubt Schlista persuaded them on that point.

May 2, 2009 10:37:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
Somehow, I doubt Schlista persuaded them on that point.

Yeah, but in the end he was right in what he was asking and all those that were busting on him now are the one that look foolish.  I swear I don't get why people on the INternet are such hate mongers.  They attacked him for askign a simple question on how StarDock can make it up to gamers for basically selling a beta product to them. 

In the end it doesnt' really matter who was right and wrong, just that the game is fixed and that there are enough players on it to play.  But I bet many people will think twice before jumping into another stardock launch product (and that's a shame because their game appear to be very fun).

May 2, 2009 10:39:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phalnax811,

Transparent CEO, good

Watching people whine, priceless

Watching the CEO of stardock agree with Schlista beyond priceless

May 2, 2009 10:59:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Going to lock this thread since Schlista can't seem to control himself long enough not to keep creating fake users to give the illusion of people agreeing with him.

It's pretty sad to see people take online forums so seriously that they feel the need to create several alias users in order to conduct a discussion. Know what I mean, "MitchFlannery"?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time: