The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Day 8 Status Report!

By on April 23, 2009 8:56:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Me (Draginol is my other handle) and my friend at GPG working on a problem

So today we got a pretty good new update from Gas Powered Games that we’ve been testing with today.

A lot of the changes have to do with tolerances. How much time should the game wait for others to join before it assumes they’re too slow and kicks them out before the game even starts? How much time should it wait for someone to join a lobby or a game before it says “No, they’re not going to get in?” and blocks them?

So today we played a lot of games with the new build and saw a lot of improvements. Thanks to tricks we’ve picked up from last week when the servers were being crushed, we have gotten a lot better at simulating peek server hours where the connection stuff is most likely to fail.

Right now, the issue we’re trying to fix is where people join a custom game and because they joined at the same time, they are not connected to each other.   That’s what we’re play testing right now and the results look very promising.

Developing games is like a strategy game

Like a strategy game, I’m in the unpleasant position of having to make choices on what people work on and what doesn’t.

If, by now, you have concluded that Demigod is an unusual game in many ways, you’re right.  Typically, the publisher (Stardock) releases the game, collects data and sends them off to the game’s developer (Gas Powered Games) and waits for a “patch” which the publisher then puts through QA and then releases.

Demigod, as you probably have surmised, has been developed differently.  Early last year, I pushed for Demigod to have more single-player elements. But over time, it became clear that everyone involved (at both Stardock and GPG) really enjoyed it more as a multiplayer game.  But in my mind, if you’re going to do that, you need to have lots of cool things like match making, and tournament stuff and long-term expandability.

That’s where Stardock started getting involved in development little by little. At first, it was just a single developer. Then another, and then another.  Pretty soon, we were adding overlays to present more player data, developing a friends list and other community features along with a multiplayer match-making, pantheon stuff, etc.

Stardock and GPG get along great. But you are talking about two veteran development teams working on some pretty sophisticated stuff at great distances.  That’s where I’ve increasingly become involved in pressing both Stardock and GPG development teams on what needs to go in when.  So if you have an issue with Demigod, don’t blame anyone but me because since the game’s release, I’ve essentially taken on the overall development prioritization for good or ill.

Ramifications

So for example, we know that most people can connect to other people. We know this for a fact. The problem is that for a significant percentage of people, it’s #$%# flakey. 

You know what I mean. You set up a custom game and it becomes a fiasco getting people into that custom game because people aren’t connected. Or you try to get a pantheon game going and players get kicked out or you end up with 2 on 2 with a bunch of bots.  Or the same thing with skirmish.

And then there’s the people who just get NAT failed messages or who just can’t connect no matter what.

I’ve gotten a lot of email telling me that I’m “killing Demigod” because I keep making things out to be “worse than they are”.  It’s not my job to paint a happy picture. I’m an engineer, not a marketer. And I hang out enough on the chat channel and on the forums to know that the problems mentioned above are real, must be addressed ASAP!

So anyway, during this week the big architecture change going on is the UDP proxy server setup.  But IT has told me that it will take a few days to do proper load testing on it (i.e. what happens when there’s 20,000 people on there?) 

But the tactical things I’ve been focusing Stardock/GPG onto this week are fixing the connection issues for those who play but find the game flakey, making Pantheon and Skirmish not have bots in them if people have experience, working on the favor point tracking, etc. 

Since I have only N developers at Stardock and M at GPG, that means that if I’m focusing them on those things, other things will go more slowly (including the Proxy stuff).

Tonight’s build is being tested

So like on Tuesday, we do have a new build, this one much more significant because it includes a new Demigod.exe too, but we’re testing it and since it’s 9pm as I write this, it’s not a good idea to put it up this late so it looks like it’ll be tomorrow.

Status Updates long term

I’ve read comments that some people do like these status reports.  Since we’re starting to come to the end of the serious connection problems (it may not seem like to some externally but it really is getting pretty close) I was wondering if people would like to continue to see these things when we start to talk about ideas for new Demigods, new items, new multiplayer modes, how you’d like to see clans and groups and friends handled.  I really don’t mind doing these but obviously don’t want people to get sick of reading these walls of text.

Cheers all and see you tomorrow!

+912 Karma | 116 Replies
April 24, 2009 3:22:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I really appreciate the regular status updates and they are essentially the only reason I haven't asked for a refund on the game. I am really disappointed by today's update though. I can't believe you have lowered the priority of getting the proxies sorted and instead you are focussing on people that can already connect! Surely you should focus on getting everyone able to connect first!

April 24, 2009 3:37:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please keep up the status reports.

April 24, 2009 3:49:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The games I play most have up to date blogs: Halo & TF2. If you keep posting updates and blogs I'll be coming back again and again. I've been trying to convince friends to buy this based on knowing you'll be updating this game for at least a year.

Every time TF2 has an update to the game they mark it half off and I try to convince people to buy it...and Gabe mentioned something about sales going up some ridiculous percent every time. Just sayin...you know...I'd buy another DemiGod for a friend or for myself.

April 24, 2009 3:59:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Keep the Reports, they are always a good read and very informational.

Oh, and information, good or bad are always a form of marketing. I think you will build your fan base with this Reports. See them as long time investment.

April 24, 2009 4:14:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think these are great! And I find it even more interesting when you will write about the develovment of in-game things.

Keep up the good work!

April 24, 2009 4:18:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Status reports!

April 24, 2009 4:20:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The level of interaction and communication with the player base is something that I have always been impressed with from Stardock (Galciv player here).  I would love it if you would continue to do these updates on the main page.  This could be even more interesting when it comes to new ideas and balancing issues instead of just technical ones.

April 24, 2009 4:25:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the reports are great and a sorely needed thing in the industry to be frank. I also support the idea of more transparency in the development process. After all, contrary to popular opinion/marketing myth & cultural bias, the vast majority of gamers - especially PC gamers are not little kids.

April 24, 2009 4:34:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Status reports are my favouritest thing in the whole world! Thanks Frogboy

April 24, 2009 4:54:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I’ve read comments that some people do like these status reports.

ATTENTION EVERYONE... raise your hand if you recall seeing this kind of communication from a publisher before... anyone...? ...

"Some" is a greatly underrated estimate.

I really don’t mind doing these

Brad just broke the forum...

Bring them on then!

April 24, 2009 5:19:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like this reports. they sum up what is going to happen. i would love to see tham in the future.

keep up the good work. things are gettin better, but its far from perfect. but i hope you can get there

April 24, 2009 5:20:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connection issues are getting better each patch. Keep it up.

I would like to see more info about what some of the cryptic error messages mean. For example, sometimes you get the error "nat facilitator is unavailable', but you can keep playing. What does that mean? If I'm playing a 2v2 with my port-forwarded mates should we care? etc

April 24, 2009 6:03:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the status reports. Actually they're in a weird way one of the highlights of the day.

April 24, 2009 6:09:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm lovin' the game. Loving these updates even more. Could use even more formatting I guess IDK...

April 24, 2009 6:59:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think the regular status reports are a good idea, its always nice to hear what the devs are working on.

Please continue to post them everytime you have something interesting or exciting to share!

April 24, 2009 7:31:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to see them continue.  Particually once we get into updates for balancing and enhancing the game.  It is important for the community to know what you guys are thinking.  Suprise nerf/buffs are annoying.  Even if we don't agree with the changes, it is important to us to understand what changes are happening and why you guys feel its necessary.  It'll cut down on the "SD/GPG NEVER LISTEN!" type of posts.

April 24, 2009 7:33:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Am I the only one who dont want to read status reports but to play the game?

April 24, 2009 7:42:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am also with the status report reader swarm, keep up the good work.
Besides the walls of text aren't that bad, it could be much worse

April 24, 2009 8:07:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

TLDR ... dont happen when you type

seriously i would love it so much if you came in once a day , writing down what your working on or what you feel is going on with everything , gogo frogboyblog

April 24, 2009 8:08:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Once the major issues are resolved, please keep doing these updates.

Those that don't wish to read them need only avert their eyes elsewhere and those of us that do (I think the number is big enough to justify their continued existence) can continue to enjoy .

April 24, 2009 8:11:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you don't mind doing these, then I'd say please keep posting as long as there are worthwhile things to say

Oh, and, thanks!

April 24, 2009 8:17:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Lol! Does your wife and kids know your getting that extra bit on the side at GPG?

April 24, 2009 8:31:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Without these "walls of text" its easy to get the feeling that developers doesnt care. With them you become Gods.

Thanks for keeping your beloved minions up to date.

April 24, 2009 8:46:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I’ve gotten a lot of email telling me that I’m “killing Demigod” because I keep making things out to be “worse than they are”.

rofl, you can tell whoever is sending you those emails that you telling it like it is is the only reason demigod is still alive.

I believe they're afraid some interested gamer reads your posts and says to himself "Oh my god, if the game is in that bad shape I'm not getting it". But the far more likely reality is that someone goes to a friend and asks "So, you've been playing Demigod, how do you like it so far?" "Well, there are a lot of problems, but the devs know about this and are really comitted to fixing those issues, as you can see by the frequent and honest updates on the current situation", which then convinces the person to get the game.

Well that is my view on it at least.

In any way, thanks for the updates, pretty much the only thing making me not regret buying the game. Keep up the good work!

April 24, 2009 9:13:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If anything reassures me that this game will do fine its hearing Brad say that if anyone is to blame for all of these problems it is him (from the video yesterday).  Taking ownership as a leader is a sign that this man knows how things work and will strive to get the job done.

Excellent game GPG and Stardock, now lead on.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000797   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.