The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Halp, I have high ping :(

Not a DG issue per se, but it screws up games :(

By on April 21, 2009 4:55:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all, I realize that this is NOT an issue with Demigod itself, but it does of course severly affect game performance. I do not have a great deal of knowledge of networks or that strange series of tubes known as "The Interwebs," so I'm just looking for some general advice here.

For mot of last weekend, I was able to connect to people in DG games with reasonable pings (usually < 100 ms). However, come Sunday night to Monday night, my ping went through the roof (~130 to over 300 ms), and it was that high for every player I tried to connect to.

I am in the United States on a (ergh) University network. Aside from a consisten;y high ping in DG, there seems to be no other indication of a problem. I even tried just pinging some websites, such as DG's webiste and Google, and I got pings of around 30 ms.

A lot of times these problems are just transitory, so I could just wait it out, but otherwise are there any potential solutions I could try?

Thank y'all in advance.

+2 Karma | 14 Replies
April 21, 2009 11:22:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trying a little bump here... my ping is still through the roof. I tried connecting to one game and I was getting pings in excesses of 500 ms. However, when I try pinging various websites, it's between 14 and 75 ms.

April 22, 2009 5:21:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As Demigod connects directly to a player as opposed to a static server you'll find your MS can vary quite a bit. There's not really much advice I can give for lowering your Ping besides ensuring Demigod is the only internet application running on your PC. Playing with other Americans closer to you will help improve your general experience. I myself am an Australian and am forced to play against mostly other Australians to ensure low Pings.

Also, since your using a University Network as opposed to a home connection, try asking around and see if anyone has noticed any problems - if possible, ask the IT People on your campus (assuming your allowed to run online games). The University itself might be having problems, or installed a new Firewall or Router. It's also possibly, as Demigod connects using a Peer-to-Peer connection system, that the University has taken to steps to prevent it's students from using P2P programs - like Limewire - and this merely a side effect of that.

Best of luck!

April 22, 2009 5:30:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also make sure that you only connect to US games (east coast or west coast, depending on where you are).

April 22, 2009 1:38:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your responses.

ZehDon: I do try to only play against other Americans. Also, from other places I read about P2P games on the Internet, I got the impression that P2P games do not "look" like file sharing P2P applications, and thus if bandwidth is restricted for filesharing P2P applications, P2P games should still run okay. That may not be correct, and I might contact our IT department to confirm this. Also, given that I used to be an avid WoW player, we are certainly allowed to run online games.

Spooky: Yeah, do try to connect only to US games. Even when I connect to east coast-only games, the ping is still rediculously high.

April 22, 2009 7:53:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like the problem is certainly with your end. Do you have any other non-World of Warcraft online games you play? Use them as a comparison with Demigod to see how the Ping difference stacks up.

Also, do you run a software Firewall or other internet based applications? They might be slowing Demigod?

April 22, 2009 8:58:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now my ping is around 800 to over 1000 ms!

I looked at Team Fortress 2's servers, and the pings there are low, like 10-35 ms.

I don't have a firewall active, and I don't know what else could be affecting it.

I guess next I'll just try to close every other application...

April 22, 2009 9:15:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did this, and pings are still astronomical

Well, for some wierd reason, I had a ping of 52 ms with one person. Maybe he is on the same network I am...?

April 22, 2009 9:46:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, same thing happening to. In the lobby everyone ping is fine, normally <100ms. Then once I get to the game, it jumps up to 1000ms+. I tried a 3v3 and it was unplayable, ppl started leaving and what was left was a 3v1, the ping sorted itself out after that but since it was 3v1 the game sorta collapsed after that.

It is not normal for 6 players to be causing massive lag, my guess would be the larger number of connections is messing up our routers or possibly windows. I know large numbers of connections can mess up windows badly. My connection is fine, low ping etc.. and I have no firewall or antivirus or anything else that is generally anti-gaming.

I have a netopia router and I run windows xp sp2.

On a side not I am kinda unsatisfied with this. Considering this was in beta for so long I feel many of these problems should have been ironed out long ago. After spending an entire day trying to set up my router just to be able to connect to ppl now I have massive lag so am stuck with 1v1 and possibly 2v2. Well short of the potential this game has. On a plus side at least I have unlimited lan so I can at least play 3v3 on lan with my friends, well done on that part guys.

April 22, 2009 11:05:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

unfortunatley a lot of universitys run p2p throttling so they dont clog up the networks with music and movie downloads, unfortunatley theres not a lot u can do

April 22, 2009 11:09:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting rookrolled,
unfortunatley a lot of universitys run p2p throttling so they dont clog up the networks with music and movie downloads, unfortunatley theres not a lot u can do

however, this may be remedied by SD's proxy network they are setting up. only time will tell, however.

i too would like to be able to play whilst at uni; the two hours between lectures is potentially many games.

April 23, 2009 12:03:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I've tried using Gameranger, and my pings are extremely low. Gameranger games still utilize p2p connections if I'm not mistaken.

So, it's apparently not an issue with p2p connections in general, just with DG...

April 23, 2009 2:19:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, Game Ranger does use P2P however it's more in the fashion of how the Proxy severs will operate rather than strickly P2P. If Game Ranger is allowing Demigod to work without any issues, I would expect the Proxy Servers Stardock are getting ready to fix your problem - as well as mine.

edit:
Since TF2 uses a server/client model rather than a P2P model I think it's safe to say that the University network limits P2P activity to spare bandwidth. Wait for the new servers to go live.

April 23, 2009 10:47:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, great.

Okay, well hopefully the proxy servers will resolve this problem then. Thanks!

April 24, 2009 11:09:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another person seeing the exact same results....

I'm on a DSL connection - in the US and seeing this joining only US games.

going through a LinkSys router; seen the problems with both all the ports forwarded properly, as well as DMZ enabled and pointed directly to my gaming machine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.