The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Status Report: Saturday

By on April 18, 2009 8:05:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Most of the current status can be found here.

So I played a lot of games of Demigod online today. And the issues mentioned in the Friday status report were ones I experienced occasionally.  I didn’t experience many problems with the exception of people getting kicked out of a Pantheon game. But I’ve gone through the responses here and forwarded them on to both Stardock’s NetDev team and GPG after doing my own analysis.

One of the things I’ve concluded we’re going to need to do to make things better quicker is to set up proxy servers for people who simply can’t directly connect.  So the player would connect to us and then to that user. In theory, it should add relatively little lag but it would dramatically ease the pain some users, especially those overseas, are having.

The plan is to bring the team together tomorrow (Sunday) to finish up what we had on Friday which should help a lot with skirmish and pantheon.

One request I do have for the community: While we know statistically that multiplayer is working in most cases, there are a lot of people who cannot connect. Please refrain from telling users that they need to learn how to use their router or whatever. The fact is, people shouldn’t have to configure their routers to play a video game. We do ask those who are having problems to have as much patience as they can muster. Both Stardock and GPG are doing their best to make the multiplayer experience good for everyone.

Anyone familiar with Stardock can also tell you that we support our games – for years. We’re on the job.

+912 Karma | 44 Replies
April 18, 2009 8:15:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you are a legend.

April 18, 2009 8:19:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love reading these status reports.  Makes me feel like the boss.   Now get back to work!

April 18, 2009 8:20:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

great news, love it

April 18, 2009 8:25:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And on the seventh day the lord continued to work on the patch...

Thanks Frogboy!

April 18, 2009 8:42:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And on the seventh day the lord continued to work on the patch...

The Demigod continued to work on the patch...hehe

Thanks!

Got a wierd message today twice though:

User Name and Password Are Incorrect

Before you call me dumb, they were CORRECT so obviously that's a bug....or a server/connection issue.  Just FYI

-Phalnax

April 18, 2009 9:03:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I love this company. Right up there with Valve in terms of how much I respect them. Brad, if you and Gabe work together you could rule the world =.=

April 18, 2009 9:07:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One bit of news that made my day today is that we can, with very little effort it appears (famous last words), set up these proxy servers around the world using Amazon's service or GoGrid or what have you.  Players would simply connect through these servers instead and life would get a lot easier.  

I'll keep you guys up to date.  I'm not really a network guy so maybe someone else can comment on this.

April 18, 2009 9:17:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are these those proxy servers that RakNet mentions for the '5%' of users who can't connect?

April 18, 2009 9:23:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the % is higher than 5%.  I think if we were talking United States, then 5% would be probably right. But in Europe and Asia, them trying to connect to each other it is a lot higher than 5%.

April 18, 2009 9:32:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been intermittantly having the username/password incorrect error too.

If it can't connect to the validation server for whatever reason, surely there could be a different message than that!

April 18, 2009 9:37:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just wish this happened yesterday! Me and my friend were planning on pulling an all nighter of Demigod and I totally skipped out on work

I have 100% faith. More then Oak has. And that's a lot

April 18, 2009 9:44:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good to hear, I'm one of those 5% in the U.S. who hasn't managed to get an online game working, be it skirmish, custom game, or pantheon.  However, I finally got to play a game via Hamachi last night, and it was one of the most epic gaming experiences I've ever had, and this is coming from a 5 year DotA player, so I've got high expectations for this genre of gameplay .  Being a high level Rook is awesome!  Rolling a boulder through tons of minions and seeing them all go flying is going to never get old.

So yes, you get two thumbs up from someone who loves this gaming genre and thinks you're taking it in the right direction, and another two thumbs up for being so communicative with the community about what's going on in regards to technical issues and everything.  That last part alone makes this game worth the price to me.

April 18, 2009 9:47:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The fact is, people shouldn’t have to configure their routers to play a video game

Thank you Frogboy, well said.  To be honest, the Stardock employees that were replying to posts saying they didn't see the problem with requiring users to forward ports, following by links to websites such as www.portforwarding.com.  I am now relieved that someone at Stardock is finally admitting that a new approach needs to be taken.  Thank you for update.

I do have one question, will the changes potentially allow my brother play at his college where they don't allow direct peer 2 peer connections?

April 18, 2009 10:37:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NeoMatrix835,

I am now relieved that someone at Stardock is finally admitting that a new approach needs to be taken.

Frogboy has maintained from zero hour and through every delirious sleep deprived hour that followed that people should not have to port forward. This is not a new approach.

It may have been suggested as a work around for some of the network issues until they are resolved but it was never intended to be the long term solution. I'm 99% postive i'm right about this.

April 18, 2009 11:13:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I HAVE A REQUEST.

Even MORE important than Proxy server use by Stardock, PLEASE put in a way for people to retry their connection in Custom Games! It's frustrating when you finally get a 3v3, 4v4, 5v5 going etc, and 1 or 2 people can't connect to each other, yet can see each other in the lobby! It's silly! Please put a "Retry Connection" button next to the people who you aren't connected to when inside the lobby. Otherwise, you have to completely exit the lobby, and try to join again, and try to reconnect to EVERYBODY, instead of just the one person.

Another feature request, just add some method of peer-to-peer routing! Scenario: If Person A can connect to Person B, but not C. Person C can connect to Person B, but not A. Make it so Person A's connection is ROUTED through person B in order to talk to C!

Do these two things, and you will solve so much of the problems going on!

April 18, 2009 11:25:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"""

Another feature request, just add some method of peer-to-peer routing! Scenario: If Person A can connect to Person B, but not C. Person C can connect to Person B, but not A. Make it so Person A's connection is ROUTED through person B in order to talk to C!

Do these two things, and you will solve so much of the problems going on!

"""

What if person B loses connection or quits?

At any rate, thanks for the updates!  They're reassuring

April 18, 2009 11:29:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WHy not also allow people in a game with an 'open' connection to act as a proxy too? That would reduce/eliminate the need for external infrastructure, and I bet the latency would be less for people in countries like Australia, where gogrid/amazon don't have a datacenter.

April 18, 2009 11:38:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ekizel,

What if person B loses connection or quits?

You lose your connection. This is the nature of P2P! What is better, being able to play 1 game per 10 attempts (current state), or play 1 in 2 attempts with occasional drops? I would much prefer the latter. If you're smart, in the Lobby, you could balance the teams such that if one player drops (causing another to drop), you still end up with balanced teams versus AI. In games with large player numbers, a new routting player could simply be found.

April 19, 2009 12:25:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frogboy... It may be possible to connect users who simply can't connect by using Tor, an Onion Router. Since some users are restricted by their ISPs because of the Peer to Peer netowrking, a "bridge" created by a Tor user, could provide a breakway point for a gamer trying to connect to Demigod. He/she would be able to bypass their ISP, thus allowing them to play. Partly speculation, but give it a look and see if it works.

Tor is an onion router that covers your connection from onlookers, keeping you near anonymous, while simulateaouly allowing a user to bypass restrictive ISPs by connecting to a bridge. IP addresses are bounced around, and connections made, outside of the ISP. It's free too. https://www.torproject.org/vidalia/ Vidalia is the GUI for Tor, and is very easy to use, it also has a free proxy server provided called Pivoxy. Hopefully this can help users out by bouncing connections around.

April 19, 2009 3:01:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

idea for better "gaming experience" we need more players. i hadnt heard about this game except for some guy in dota mentioned it came out and so i got it.  hardcore dota players dont know.  u shud have a game made on bnet saying demigod came out etc, or commercial on the tv since i belive this will increase the player bace greatly.  btw the game is really fun from switching over from dota

April 19, 2009 3:02:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

idea for better "gaming experience" we need more players. i hadnt heard about this game except for some guy in dota mentioned it came out and so i got it.  hardcore dota players dont know.  u shud have a game made on bnet saying demigod came out etc, or commercial on the tv since i belive this will increase the player bace greatly.  btw the game is really fun from switching over from dota

April 19, 2009 3:20:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm glad to hear about your plan because this kind of support is what I like in everything and I will stick with this game for a long long time if you guys can keep it up.

Good Job.

April 19, 2009 3:59:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The more good news you give us, the more we'll spread the word.  Keep it up!  We appreciate all the effort.

April 19, 2009 5:35:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for this. This is probably the most intimate consumer-service exchange I've ever experienced and it makes me feel like I matter. Thank you.

April 19, 2009 8:43:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope they get the over-sea connection working, because so far I've only had two matches online in Pantheon and none in Skirmish. The Beta was so much simpler. Ah well. Please keep up the good work Stardock and GPG, and please don't forget us overseas!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.