The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Your First PC Game

By on April 3, 2009 11:22:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi! everyone, I have a simple question, what was the first PC game that you have played and loved?

For me it was Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty.

It was way back in 1993 (cant believe its been already 16 years) on my IBM 486 with all 4MB of ram. Since that time I have played over a 100 PC games, but I was wondering what was other people's gaming debut. Feel free to elaborate on the subject (what year, at home, at a friend, how much you paid).

+8 Karma | 231 Replies
April 4, 2009 5:46:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For me, the one and only Civilization back in 1992 (maybe '93?). The first all nighter that I ever did was playing that game. The tough part was when I had to go to school the next morning...

April 4, 2009 5:47:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri was the one that started it all for me. Loved that game.

April 4, 2009 6:12:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The earliest PC games I mremember playing are in random order...

- Maniac Mansion

- the original Civilization

- the original Railroad Tycoon

- Xenon 2 Megablast

Before that I had a MSX computer with some great games... I loved playing Zanac Ex, Aleste, .... I always liked playing Shoot'm Ups, if too bad that's a genre that has dissapeared almost completly...

April 4, 2009 7:46:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My first game was Doom, but I wasn't good in that game.

So my real first game was Tie Fighter, it was so great to serve the emperor.

Das Schwarze Auge: Schicksalklinge (german, Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny in english) and Wizardry 7 were my first RPGs and the base of my love to them. Good old time.

April 4, 2009 8:39:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Das Schwarze Auge: Schicksalklinge

oh yeah, the whole Nordland-Trilogie (it were three games that somewhat belonged together) were one of my earliest games, too. A little bit earlier I remember Dune 2 (tried the XP-version of it from sourceforge and couldn't believe I was ever able to play such a thing ) then there was some kind of Olympic Wintergames, Civ2, Age of Empires 1 and of course Monkey Island (every title, except for the 3D-stuff), Discworld, Simon the Sorcerer and Broken Sword.

Other than that, a friend of mine had an Amiga 2000 with a big box of games with it, but we almost exclusively played Wings of Fury, Lotus Turbo Challenge and Prince of Persia

April 4, 2009 8:57:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does Commodore 64 count as a PC? It said so in the faceplate: "Commodore 64 Personal Computer"

EA made wonderfull games back then, "Racing Destruction Set" was one of my favourites, also "Power at Sea" got a lot of play time. I still have fond memories of the TAC-2 joystick, which was considered the best at the time. As for x86 PC's i think it was Doom, and i'm still playing it.

April 4, 2009 9:12:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First PC game played - The Secret of Monkey Island

First PC game bought - Command & Conquer

April 4, 2009 10:10:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First PC games I played:

The old Sokoban, Some Lemonade stand game, the first Elite and some other CGA stuff.

The first games I bought myself:

Blake Stone and Master of Magic (I think)

April 4, 2009 10:21:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warcraft Orc and Humans

April 4, 2009 10:27:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First PC game I owned was Magic Carpet 2, which I have very fond memories of. It had an interesting blend of shooty action and strategizing (mana collection, upgrading your castle), cool world deformation, and a gorgeous art style.

First PC game I played would have been at a friend's house...I suspect it was Johnny Dash's Monster Bash.

April 4, 2009 10:44:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mid to late 70's, my dad bought the home version of pong.
We had a console (APF TV FUN Model 402) that had Pong, Tennis, Squash, and a light gun.

April 4, 2009 10:54:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks kinda like a silenced colt or clock

April 4, 2009 11:40:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't remember which one was the first, but I started with something like Arkanoïd, Dungeon Master, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, Gauntlet, etc... when I was 4/5/6 (in the late 80s) on the Atari ST "ican'trecallthenumberbutit'sstillintheatticworkingbutineedavideocable".

Then I moved on Mac and discovered the one and only Civilization (256 colors, not the 16 colors version)

April 4, 2009 12:02:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Math Blasters came with my first Acer PC.

But SimCity 2000 was the first PC game I owned. My mom drove all over town to find me a copy. She got it for $55 at the now-defunct Egghead Software. Other lovely games from the time period: Transport Tycoon, SimTower, C&C Red Alert, SimAnt, and Civ II.

April 4, 2009 2:01:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vulturev4,
I have you all beat here.

Mid to late 70's, my dad bought the home version of pong. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

I was a portable console you plugged into your tv, and essentially played ping pong on it, there was two dials on it, one for each side playing.  At the time, something like that was on the cutting edge of what you could do at home.  I remember staying up and playing almost all night with my older sister. 

After that, maybe a few years, my dad bought his first computer.  It was an AT&T 6400.  It booted from a floppy drive, it was way pre-386.  One night my dad got ahold of MS Flight simulator 1.01.  I flew the heck out of that thing, and one time I figured if I took off from Chicago, flew in a general area, I would eventually reach New York.  I took off, and 4 hours later I landed in NY.  One time, I flew my plane in between the WTC towers, it was so narrow, I had to turn my plane on its side as I passed between them, and it worked.

Of course I had the Atari 2600's, then moved on to the 5200, then the 7800 as a kid.

I had the old Pong console from Sears also. It didn't take cartridges or anything. I twas just a console with two paddles, and I think there was a switch that you could play four variations of Pong.

First computer game I played was Pyramid 2000 on the TRS-80.

First computer game that I played with color graphics and that really HOOKED me was Ultima II on the Apple. Oh yeah I played Lemonade Stand too...

April 4, 2009 2:12:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting ozu08865,
Warcraft Orc and Humans

Omg, this alone was the ride of the many months for me too! I got completely absorbed by the original gameplay & Tides of Darkness... sadly, they went waaaaaayyyyy off to the FPS trendy patterns with WoW and Blizzard was simply gone from my RTS/TBS schedules forever. I took their excuses in the form of StarCraft, though.

April 4, 2009 2:14:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd say this text based DOS game it was about Boxing. It was really great and I regret not remembering the name of it.

Or it could be this platformer called Crystal...maze? Wars? Unsure.

Or Battle Chess

Or Civilization.

It was all 1991, can't be sure.

April 4, 2009 2:23:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lemmings

THE game, AFAIC. Psygnosis started a revolution in intelligent gameplay, fascinating puzzle quests and who's really to hate the Parachuter and diggers.

Stop, Boum. 5-4-3-2-1. Ooooops, 75 units only. What'the'hell -- 100% is the necessary win ratio? You nuts was my reaction.

April 4, 2009 2:27:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I spent a lot of time playing Maniac Mansion

April 4, 2009 2:30:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ahhhh, I remember Pong. A buddy got it when we were kids and we played that a lot. Thought it was the be-all end-all of games.

First PC game? Can't recall. I vaguely remember some text-based games way, way back, but the first ones I remember clearly are Tetris, The Bard's Tale, and King's Quest.

April 4, 2009 2:44:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dune 2 on my Dad's Acorn computer, when I was around 2 (1993- Seriously, I gamed when I was 2 )

April 4, 2009 3:26:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, quite the list of oldies, but goodies above...including Odyssey The Complete Apventure (1980). That was a fun one

These are 2 of the oldest  I remember...

1)  Pong-  Except not played on a console, it was played on a TV that had the actual 12"x12" Printed Circuit Board atop the TV that converted it to a Pong Game.

2)  and using a Radio Shack TRS Lvl 1 with 4k of memory that used a tape cassette drive to run programs...

Played Hammurabi, a farming buy/sell game.  Managed food, and plots of land.

Also played some kind of space attack game with Klargons and Torpedoes on some kind of Battleship type map.

And while not the first PC games I played, (and to test other Oldie folks memories), anyone remember...

Midway, B-1 Bomber, Dneiper River Line, Tigers in the Snow, North Atlantic '86, Claim Jumpers (Think that was the name of an Avalon Hill game about mining the planets of the solar system), Escape from Rungistan,

and the old "Nuclear War"? not sure of title name, but played on a Battleship map, you had Cities (C), and could make Bombers(, Missiles, Subs(S), and anti missiles(A).  Pre-war, each turn you could either make 2 bases of any type (subs after 1960 or such), or make 1 base and conduct espionage which prevented a surprise attack, or Declare War.

Tactics were simple...If I Declared war the turn you made 2 bases, I'd get the first strike, but if you made 1 base and espionage, no first strike advantage.,  Missile were inaccurate but instant, Bombers were slower but almost never missed targets, and subs, once sortied, were invulnerable and could missile launch for the last parting shot.

...and all the standard Zork text games, the ones that lied to you...something like this

Computer- "Where do you want to go?"

Player.  "West".

Computer- "You can't go West."  "Where do you want to go?"

Player-  "West".

Computer- "Ok, we lied, you can go West".

oh yeah, forgot Torpedo Fire- an SSI game in which to fire deck guns and fire torpedoes you had to know Trigonometry and calculate stuff using the Pythagorean (sp?)theory.

go go long term memory!!!

April 4, 2009 3:30:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

First game purchased for my first PC was Sid Meier's Civilization put out by MicroProse at the time.

I had already been introduced to this game earlier having played it on my Amiga 500, so when I moved to the PC it was just a natural choice. Soon after I discovered X-Com: UFO Defense (also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown) another great MicroProse hit.

April 4, 2009 3:31:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Those are the days ... had a Tandy 1000EX with 640k ram with ext HD  ...

I even had a 300kb modem too ...

The PC game was Starflight ...   an a Star Trek game ... still have both games on a shelf

with older hardware ... I figure one day I might reboot that 1000ex .... as soon as I blow

the dust off it ....

April 4, 2009 3:54:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Simcity 3000 Unlimited

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.