The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Developer Diary #1 on RPG Vault

By on October 31, 2008 8:38:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The RPG Vault at IGN.com has the first Developer Diary written by Brad Wardell.  This edition gives an introduction to Demigod and also gives a closer look at how Stardock and Gas Powered Games are trying to expand real-time strategy games to make them more accessible to everyone.

“For anyone who has ever gotten frustrated in a strategy game playing online because they didn't know the ideal number of barracks to build or whether the other player was "booming" yet, or had been rushed, or played for an hour only to learn the other guys didn't know what they were doing... then Demigod is your game. It has none of these issues because of its dramatically different design, which eliminates many frustrations that keep other releases from being more accessible.”

Read the full Developers Diary at the RPG Vault.

+458 Karma | 18 Replies
October 31, 2008 9:01:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That answers some questions, thanks guys

edit: plus a glimpse of Oak in the screenshot...

October 31, 2008 9:44:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

By contrast, with generals, players who love their RTS games more traditional in style gain a unit more akin to a commander in Total Annihilation. This type of demigod is still very powerful, but its greater strength comes from the units under its command. The character can summon various forms of minions, and give them orders.

good, now there's no ambiguousness over controlling a General's minions.

/BulletMagnet eagerly awaits a beta with Generals so he can work on modding in an ACU as a playable DG.

October 31, 2008 11:32:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ACU? Did they call them those back in the golden days? Are are you a non-purist Supreme Commander heathen? (jk)

Demigod's system req's may keep me from getting it right away. I've got a 1.8 GHz Athlon laptop, with a graphics (nVidia 6150go) bottleneck.

November 1, 2008 3:38:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Holy shit, just got back from a drunken halloween party .  Of course you post this now .  A least it wasn't beta 1next.

Before I read the article, let me just comment the new map screenshot is amazingly beautiful .  You guys are doing great work !  Keep it up!!! 

P.S.  I'm actually going to bed, because I mistyped and misspelled too much. (why no shot glass emoticon?)

November 1, 2008 5:08:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ooh, the Oak looks nice

November 1, 2008 6:11:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And I think you can see a Spirit in the first shot.

I was really looking forward to playing Oak, so I'm excited.

Oh! And I like how they have all the shops together with tabs!

November 1, 2008 9:26:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now we just need to know how much control you actually have.  Is it direct control or "move in this general direction"-type control?

The Oak, his minions, the map, and the tabs for items look good though.

November 1, 2008 4:47:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So this is direction you guys are going. I thought you were going to take another direction. One that gave us the full warcraft experience to go with the diablo experience.

November 1, 2008 6:53:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its Demigod, not DOTA

November 1, 2008 6:54:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

now I want the BETA more then ever

November 1, 2008 7:53:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everything is really coming together.  The polish on this is very nice.  Love the tabbed store browsing.  Love the new map.  Love Oak.

Gimme the beta 1next NOW!!!

P.S.  I'm am very hopeful for a beta 1next release this week on Wed or Thurs.  Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

November 1, 2008 8:18:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, notice the appearance of the first persistant item.

November 1, 2008 11:37:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good

November 2, 2008 12:18:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nakimusineko,
 times 

fixed; this is worthy of twenty-five stars.

November 3, 2008 12:18:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good Job glad to see the game going in the right direction. The only thing that worries me with making the general come out he or she will never beat an assassin. Unless the the summon creeps are super strong.

November 3, 2008 1:01:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well Pretty pics and talk is all good but the real thing is what we need to prove it. Come on and roll out beta 2 hopefully with two generals so we can see how this will play out

November 3, 2008 1:28:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you see the switch on the map with oak by the light towers??? Here is thought what if when you capture it you turn the light towers off all of them.

And also all the skills end at 15 we need some level 20-25 skills that are game enders like fire storm, meteor shower, or chain lighting storm.

November 4, 2008 12:13:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lprometheus,
Did you see the switch on the map with oak by the light towers??? Here is thought what if when you capture it you turn the light towers off all of them.

And also all the skills end at 15 we need some level 20-25 skills that are game enders like fire storm, meteor shower, or chain lighting storm.

Not all skills end at 15.  The later level skills are just left out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.