The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod developer?

By on October 27, 2008 6:53:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I noticed on Impulse it said the developer for Demigod was Gas Powered Games.  I had just assumed it was the same developer as Sins or Gal Civ 2 as it was a Stardock product but I realised this was not the case.  When I looked up Gas Powered Games they also developed Dungeon Seige, Space Seige and Supreme Commander.

So am I correct this is the same developer of the other games?  When did Gas Powered Games become affiliated with Stardock?

As Dungeon Seige was slated by critics should I still be excited about Demigod because I liked the concept?

+24 Karma | 11 Replies
October 27, 2008 8:12:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GPG is developing Demigod.  Stardock is publishing it, not actually making it (although they are helping some).  I think this is the first time GPG and Stardock have worked together.

And yes, you should still be excited .  Supcom was awesome.

October 27, 2008 8:23:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gnats3,
GPG is developing Demigod.  Stardock is publishing it, not actually making it (although they are helping some).  I think this is the first time GPG and Stardock have worked together.

And yes, you should still be excited .  Supcom was awesome.

LIES! SupCom IS awesome

October 27, 2008 9:20:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In what manner do they work together?  Do they pool resources like staff and code?  What relationship does Stardock have with development of the game?

I never bought SupCom.  Is the AI good in that game?  Is it a major click fest like the current C&C games or is it a little more relaxed on clicking like Sins?

October 27, 2008 11:17:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had just assumed it was the same developer as Sins or Gal Civ 2 as it was a Stardock product

Those two are not even developed by the same teams--Sins was made by Ironclad. Sins was the first title we've published but not developed in-house, though we have a very close relationship with the devs and a hand in the design process (likewise, they have more say in the publishing stuff than most devs who don't self-publish do).

The arrangement with GPG for Demigod is similar. We're taking a hand in the design and providing the ImpulseReactor code, while they likewise get more say in publishing stuff than they did with THQ (for example). It's a much closer relationship than the usual dev-publisher arrangement, but we're still separate companies with our own staff.

October 27, 2008 12:21:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That's what I had hoped.  I was aware the Sins development team was a seperate team but I had also understood that you had an influence over it's development.

I have a 10% discount voucher with Impulse and was pondering pre-purchasing a game in it's early stages as the coupon will run out before the release.  Stardock's influence inspires a lot of confidence.  Which leads me to another question; if my pre-purchase allows me to try the beta does that mean a refund is not available if I change my mind?

October 27, 2008 12:43:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if my pre-purchase allows me to try the beta does that mean a refund is not available if I change my mind?

Once you have downloaded the beta, only a 75% refund is available.

If you are hesitant, I'd advise just waiting for further details from other testers, etc. The beta is not a demo, so please do not participate if you're only looking for an early preview and are not interested in testing.

October 27, 2008 12:51:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Haree78,
In what manner do they work together?  Do they pool resources like staff and code?  What relationship does Stardock have with development of the game?

I never bought SupCom.  Is the AI good in that game?  Is it a major click fest like the current C&C games or is it a little more relaxed on clicking like Sins?

Supcom is primaryly a MP game, althoough the SP is OK. Imho supcom(FA) is the predesscor of Sins, and the best strategy game there is right now. It not as fast as C&C but not so slow as Sins (Sins is insane, I picture you could mistake it for abrowser game on slowmode).

October 27, 2008 1:35:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Imho supcom(FA) is the predesscor of Sins

SC really doesn't have much to do with Sins at all--the Ironclad team is actually partly people from Homeworld: Cataclysm.

October 27, 2008 4:31:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Haree78,

The AI is pretty weak but it is a very complicated game and the multiplayer is really what matters.  It is not nearly the clickfest that many RTS games are.  It is probably closer to C&C than to Sins on the speed-side but has many more units at once and such than C&C.

October 28, 2008 2:54:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's hard to compare SupCom and C&C; it's like comparing a NASCAR (i'm winging an example so the US members can understand) to an Indycar. both are for racing but that's where the similarities end.

you need to click; yes, but you need to put thought into it over just clicking faster than your opponent.

SupCom's (this it IMO) greatest strength was it's modability, and i hope that StarDock lets (no, makes) GPG continue in this fashion.

October 28, 2008 6:30:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the info Kyro and that's a fair point.

I stopped playing RTS online not with friends a long while ago so I guess I wont pick up SupCom gold edition now but cheers for the info.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.