The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Statistics in Demigod

By on September 10, 2008 12:47:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image One of the things the Gas Powered Games team is working on is the end-game screen. At the end of a match (as well as in-game in real-time to a lesser degree) players are going to want to see statistics on how each player did.

One of the things we've been playing around with is having achievement points be based on how many categories you led in.  In this way, the statistics aren't just interesting, they become part of the game play itself since achievement points are what help you become victorious in the overarching scheme of things as well as allowing you to purchase ever superior persistent items.

We're hoping to release beta 1-A in a week or two that will include things like more strategic elements to the maps, potentially a new Demigod to play with, and a number of new gameplay changes.  I think people will be surprised at how quickly these betas will improve the game play and "fun" factor of the game. Stay tuned.

+912 Karma | 81 Replies
September 11, 2008 6:44:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like I often seem to.. I agree with Zeneroth

September 12, 2008 4:47:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Achievements are great. I understand where innociv is coming from with players in matches purely for the achievement (screw the final outcome), but I really think they are the minority.  COD4 has a thorough achievement/challenge section.  Even if I enter the game with the attitude of "I'm going to work on my headshots with the MP5, it doesn't matter if I win or Lose", I almost always find myself getting pulled into the game and fighting fiercely for the win, not just the headshots.  Course that may just be me, but I'd like to think most players will find it difficult to lay down and take another notch in the loss column at the cost of filling some achievement.  I'd hope the achievements would inspire the win not the opposite.

And yes, I also fully agree with Zeneroth.  Rewards for doing achievements should not affect gameplay. 

If there are items or rewards for achievements, then they should be no better than the current choices, just different.  Again, with COD4, a lvl 1 player with an MP5 can take on a lvl 55 player who has an unlocked weapon (say P90) unlocked perks (say UAV jammer) and unlocked weapon attachments (silencer).  The lvl 1 player is just as lethal, just has less options in how to apply that lethality.  Now, compare that to WOW, where you can't go two to two in a lvl 70 arena with the other players unless you have the appropriate gear which must be earned over many hours of gaming.

September 12, 2008 6:01:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as achievements don't affect multi-player and none recieved during multi-play affect anything, I think they'll be fine.

September 12, 2008 7:23:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well in multiplayer there is going to be options to play games in a "persistent" world so you carry over achievements to other games, but these are of course are not ranked, so there is nothing wrong with doing that. Ranked games are going to be fair and its not a matter of who has played more and got more achievements to decide the winner.

It actually sounds quite fun to every now and then take a break from serious matches and try leveling in the persisten wolrd

September 13, 2008 12:37:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As Odit said, I really like how CoD 4 do their achivement, since it's so objective(don't ruin the match) and it progress smoothly (count how much kill you got with specific weapons). Basically it emphasize new play style for every player to try out, after playing that style you and earned achivements, you unlock new tools which specialize you more into that style of play. This is a well planned achivements system really.

Don't amke it for a stunt play like TF2. TF2 achivement, at first i think they just make those without gameplay effect reward(for awhile it is). But later they added new weapons reward for achivements, that's when ppl start farming achivements and achivement map get more attentions.

The best implementation of achivement, i give it to Guildwars. GW got titles which do nothing just for a show-off and they got great looking armor (harder to get) which is not different in stats from a cheap, poor-looking ones. So everyone can fight in equal ground, new player with right determination and adequate knowledge of skills can kill the veteran who slack off or make mistakes.

Quoting DalzK,
Well in multiplayer there is going to be options to play games in a "persistent" world so you carry over achievements to other games, but these are of course are not ranked, so there is nothing wrong with doing that. Ranked games are going to be fair and its not a matter of who has played more and got more achievements to decide the winner.

It actually sounds quite fun to every now and then take a break from serious matches and try leveling in the persisten wolrd

Is this true? if it is that'd be so perfect, seperated world of Serious PVP and Casual plays to satisfy both needs.

September 13, 2008 1:03:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I read from the post is that these aren't going to be like the achievements you see in CoD4 or TF2.  Rather these are simply gamespecific.  Maybe you'll get a point for having the most hero kills, the most tower kills, the most assists, creep kills, the final strike against the stronghold, flag captures, money earned, ect.  Then at the end a big scoreboard will pop up(similar to dota).  Showing all these statitics and leaders then tallying how many leader points you have at the bottom to show who most affected the game. 

Thus people will naturally try to be the top of as many of these as they can to show off at the end of the game and in doing so they are helping their team out.  Instead of it being a lot like Dota where people only care about hero-death ratio at the end of the game.

The question to this is he talking about persistent items per game (such as the gloves of +200 attk vs non-persistant scroll of teleports), or he is talking about persistent among your characters.  If it is the later players should have the choice(and I believe they have already said something like this) between an RPG mode where you load your characters up and improve each battle vs. strategy mode where you start off as a blank slate each game.

-BlueFire

September 13, 2008 4:33:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've been having a ton of fun with this beta version as it is!  it's so much fun to try out different pieces of armor and skill progression to see what works best with my particular play-style.  keep it up! you guys are doing great and have earned my respect!

September 15, 2008 7:33:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still think moddable multiplayer should be possible, just not adding towards achievements or stats of any kind.  Besides that, achievements don't do anything for me at all.  I honestly can't say I've ever wanted to get any achievements in any game which featured them, and if I did it was  just a matter of me being that good at a certain thing (Sentry Gunner for instance).  All that matters is playing the game, honestly.  Winning is nice, though.  >)

September 15, 2008 8:06:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Feynt,
I honestly can't say I've ever wanted to get any achievements in any game which featured them, and if I did it was  just a matter of me being that good at a certain thing (Sentry Gunner for instance).  All that matters is playing the game, honestly.  Winning is nice, though.  >)

Well achievements in portal were fun

September 15, 2008 12:24:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Achievements are fine in single player games..

It's just that in TF2 you can make your team lose if you're just trying to get achievements.

September 20, 2008 9:10:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Week or two? Le kek.

September 21, 2008 12:50:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

4 days till the end of week 2 from the date of this article

also am i the only 1 whos played enough games to get the Money Bag Achievement i got it 2 games ago

September 22, 2008 3:02:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

today is last day for "2 week" ^^ any news ?

September 22, 2008 9:55:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its actually 2 more days till last day

September 22, 2008 4:56:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2 weeks in software-speak means 3 weeks, silly

September 22, 2008 6:21:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gnats3,
2 weeks in software-speak means 3 weeks, silly

NAZE-DA!

(best way i can spell "Why's it like that" in jap)

September 22, 2008 7:01:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why is it like that? well software engineers, like all engineers, spend most of their time drinking and leave real work to the week after (trust me, i am one).

no body expects the the killer-hangovers and engine-level issues that need huge workarounds. and then there's QA... hold on, this isn't THQ. lol.

September 24, 2008 1:42:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2 weeks pasted well in exactly 18 minutes but i doubt itll come out in that time so im just gonna say

LIES

September 24, 2008 2:07:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CAKES

September 24, 2008 4:03:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

another day without patch

September 24, 2008 4:25:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every day we go beyond 2 weeks, i will kill a cookie.

You have been warned.

September 24, 2008 5:23:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh noes! those poor poor cookies.

quick, GPG, code faster!

(at times like this i wish i didn't change my display name from CookieMONSTERa, damnit.)

September 24, 2008 9:22:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*puts cookie through the bandsaw*

You were warned.

September 24, 2008 9:31:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what kind of cookie was it my reaction to care depends on this

September 24, 2008 9:40:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A chocolate chip cookie with ice cream.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000797   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.