The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Gamer's Bill of Rights

By on August 29, 2008 9:30:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

"We the Gamers of the world, in order to ensure a more enjoyable experience, establish equality between players and publishers, and promote the general welfare of our industry hereby call for the following:

1.  Gamers shall have the right to return games that don't work with their computers for a full refund.

2.  Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.

3.  Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game's release.

4.  Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.

5.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will adequately play on that computer.

6.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their express consent.

7.  Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.

8.  Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.

9.  Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.

10.Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play."

Excellent initiative Brad! You're right on target. Congratulations for Stardock and Gas Powered Games on this wonderful initiative.

A perfect example for the need of a Gamer's Bill of Rights is what's happening with the borg collective (aka EA) getting their hands on every possible profitable developer. I started to get worried when they assimilated one of my favorite developers: Bioware. The immediate result was an obnoxious SecuROM-based DRM for Mass Effect PC. With a limit of 3 activations depending on hardware changes and rootkit-like behavior, it absolutely penalizes paying customers while not doing anything effective against piracy (unless we consider second-hand sales as piracy). That Malware/DRM is getting into Spore and apparently any future games coming from EA. A DRM that makes legitimate gamers to ultimately resort to piracy tools is plain dumb. The Borg is getting big and bossy as the most recent assimilation will be Take-Two Interactive.

What we gamers and the gaming industry need is brave publishers and developers standing for what's right while still being able to prosper.

Cheers!

aLap

+16 Karma | 22 Replies
August 29, 2008 9:39:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

11.Gamers shall have the right to free highly caffeinated energy drinks any time they wish.

... It was worth a try.

August 29, 2008 9:56:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So it sounds like Gamers have the right to use Impulse

August 29, 2008 10:10:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Amended 6.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install  ANY software without their express consent.

Other then that, I love it!

August 29, 2008 10:12:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kryo,
So it sounds like Gamers have the right to use Impulse

Did you click the external link? It was written up by Brad, so yeah!

(^ what will happen to everyone who isn't using Impulse yet)

August 29, 2008 10:36:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Right on the money!

what will happen to everyone who isn't using Impulse yet
The world domination comes somewhere around Impulse Phase 10, remember?

August 29, 2008 10:43:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The world domination comes somewhere around Impulse Phase 10, remember?

That's what they want everyone to think. They figure people will think there's still plenty of time before they need to worry about impending doom and assimilation, so they'll never expect it, and never see it coming until it's too late!

!

August 29, 2008 11:02:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Warnstaff,
Amended 6.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install  ANY software without their express consent. Other then that, I love it!

That what it already says.  Since by the orignal 6, you can't have hidden things installed, you should know what is going to be installed.  So if you're clicking on that .exe, it's a given that you want said software installed.

August 29, 2008 11:12:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

7. Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.

I am very unsure about this one when you see the kind of complaints generated with Stardock policy on second hand games ...

August 29, 2008 1:34:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Insanetitan,
Quoting Warnstaff, reply 3Amended 6.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install  ANY software without their express consent. Other then that, I love it!

That what it already says.  Since by the orignal 6, you can't have hidden things installed, you should know what is going to be installed.  So if you're clicking on that .exe, it's a given that you want said software installed.

Not all software that's installed without consent is hidden; Crysis installed punkbuster without my permission, but it wasn't hidden, and I do not play MP. All I want from #6 is to install the game, and game alone, other bloat/mal/crapware optional with consent only. #6 only covers hidden junk.

August 29, 2008 3:33:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Warnstaff,
Quoting Insanetitan, reply 7Quoting Warnstaff, reply 3Amended 6.  Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install  ANY software without their express consent. Other then that, I love it! That what it already says.  Since by the orignal 6, you can't have hidden things installed, you should know what is going to be installed.  So if you're clicking on that .exe, it's a given that you want said software installed. Not all software that's installed without consent is hidden; Crysis installed punkbuster without my permission, but it wasn't hidden, and I do not play MP. All I want from #6 is to install the game, and game alone, other bloat/mal/crapware optional with consent only. #6 only covers hidden junk.

I suppose it can be read in mutiple ways.  The way I read it, if the installer isn't telling you what it's installing, then it's hidden.

August 29, 2008 4:56:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

To me, it sounds like #2 and #3 are blatantly contradictory. If it needs after-release support, it wasn't released in a finished condition. I would withdraw this objection if #2 were to read "Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a playable state."

August 29, 2008 5:05:57 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

2. Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
3. Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game's release.

To me, it sounds like #2 and #3 are blatantly contradictory. If it needs after-release support, it wasn't released in a finished condition

My understanding of it is that #2 means the game should work out of the box, while #3 means you should get free FEATURE updates, not just bug fixes.

August 29, 2008 5:09:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

To me, it sounds like #2 and #3 are blatantly contradictory.

They're not. Read #3 as "meaty chunks of extra new content".

August 29, 2008 5:48:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then 3 is just silly. You get what you pay for, and it should be good (at least according to nr 2).

Anyway, I just plain don't agree with most of these. However, I do think that each of these questions MAY be important to the individual customer and should be answered on the package/website - therefore, would it not be a good idea to say create a separate listindex website that did exactly this? Then you could log on and see for yourself. But demanding it for all games is asking too much for a free computer game market that should thrive on diversity, not standardization.

August 29, 2008 5:58:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then 3 is just silly. You get what you pay for, and it should be good (at least according to nr 2).

Well, user feeback can help to increase the value of game by spotting what needs tweaks or improvements, cloosing not obvious loppholes, ....

August 29, 2008 6:06:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I re-read the external link and it was definately not "meaty chunks of extra new content" that was intended. Yes, bug support should be available after release.

August 29, 2008 8:53:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Who the hell is stardock?

August 29, 2008 9:02:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Check out Reclaim Your Game if you're interested to know more about the current problems with DRM in games and Sony's Securom system.

If you're a gamer, you should know what you're getting into before buying a new game.

August 29, 2008 9:12:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting innociv,
Who the hell is stardock?

For many informed gamers out there, Stardock is a glimmer of hope.

Which hopefully amounts to good advertising and an increase in sales.

August 29, 2008 9:30:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I hope they live up to number one. I just purchased a game yesterday that doesn't work and support has not yet given me a reply.

August 29, 2008 11:27:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope they live up to number one. I just purchased a game yesterday that doesn't work and support has not yet given me a reply
Suuport usually responds in 24 'business' hours.  since it's a long weekend that may be Wednesday.

Did you post elsewhere in the forums?  One of us might be able to help.

August 29, 2008 11:59:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Did you post elsewhere in the forums? One of us might be able to help.

Actually, I did. And I think you did offer some advice.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.