The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: The Single Player Game

Yes, it's a big deal!

By on May 29, 2008 1:45:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

A lot of attention has been given to Demigod's multiplayer capabilities.  I like to think that Demigod will be the Counterstrike of strategy games.

But what about the single player experience?

Well, one of the big changes since Stardock and Gas Powered Games have teamed up is the single player game.  Stardock takes single player games very very seriously. You could say it's our area of expertise.

In a couple of weeks, we hope to unveil here the single player concept.  I think people will be pretty pleased as those who are worried that single player will merely be skirmishes or some scripted campaign need not worry. We have something really special and unique in development.

Stay tuned!

Locked Post 89 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 30, 2008 11:55:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I'm not sure if that still has sold me. Either it is being kept a total secret but all these recent interviews and reports I keep reading seem to describe SP as some "training ground" for the main focus of MP gaming. Which I really really hope isn't the case. For SP being simply a bunch of skirmish maps will be very disappointing - which was the let down in sins.

I hope the truth about SP is being hush hush for a nice surprise. Please don't let us down Frogboy, make SP worth it if one never touches the MP mode.
July 30, 2008 12:44:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Originally it was just skirmish mode but supposedly they are adding something more interesting. Most of those interviews are older, I think.
July 30, 2008 1:30:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
It is NOT a campaign. As easy and tempting as just doing a scripted campaign might have been, we wanted to make a single player experience that people would want to play again and again.

Hopefully, the "NOT a campaign" campaign won't be as weak as sins of a solar empire's "much more than a standard campaign".

July 31, 2008 10:49:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
In a couple of weeks, we hope to unveil here the single player concept

It's been about eight weeks... any more crumbs you can toss to us? We're HUNGRY.
July 31, 2008 11:07:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Those of you who know me know how big of a deal single player gameplay is.
The design we've collectively come up with is extremely cool. It's not like anything I've seen in a game before.
It is NOT a campaign. As easy and tempting as just doing a scripted campaign might have been, we wanted to make a single player experience that people would want to play again and again.

This wasn't one of the upcoming games on my wishlist but now you've got me interested.

July 31, 2008 12:11:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Gimme more info about the game ^^

The single player sounds cool
July 31, 2008 12:43:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
They sort of touched on the single player a bit in the E3 interview, I believe. From my understanding, the premise of the game is that a God died and now various Demigods are fighting to take his place, so the single player game will essentially be you ascending your Demigod to godhood. Doesn't say much for the mechanics of single player, but at least what it's going to be about
July 31, 2008 1:38:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Sounds almost like Tekken or Street fight SP ??no?

I'm curious how they will handle the team experience in SP. Do you partner up with 4 other AI controlled teammates or opt to fight everyone 1v1? I suspect its going to mix of all of those as a way of prepping players for MP (yes I know SP isn't meant to be MP training grounds, but it can serve more than one purpose).
July 31, 2008 1:57:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
okay read it, sounds good

I only have a couple Question i can come up with now:
How long will the games take - 10 min? or 1 hour?. I like both, but if the Demigod has to level up from zero every game, the games would either be long, u gain XP fast, or there will be only like 10 lvs which think would be weerd (It would be fine though). Or will the "custum" games be long like SC, and ranked reletivly short?

Keep this forum running guys ????
July 31, 2008 2:23:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
15 to 40 minutes is what they want to have as normal playtime for a match in Multiplayer but I guess it could vary a bit more in singleplayer as you can save the game.
July 31, 2008 2:31:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
sounds good, thats a good goal...

Thx biggy ^^
July 31, 2008 2:58:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Pre-ordered some time ago. This before I read about this unique single-player design - I have an inkling as to what sort of experience it might be. I have a good feeling about this. Looking forward to trying the beta...
April 18, 2009 2:27:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

juas...  the game has skirmish.  wellcome to skirmish city, population 1: you.  no singleplayer for you, only bots and bots, in skirmish maps :-I

that is bad? you are the judge. 

April 18, 2009 2:43:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I bought the game, and it is fun. I like skirmish but after reviewing this topic, if there's more to the single player than skirmish I seem to be missing it. I understand there's no campaign and that's cool.

April 18, 2009 6:30:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, you have the 'tournament', which technically is more than just skirmish, while "not a campaign".

April 18, 2009 9:03:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even though I'm extremely excited and happy for this I can't rub away the doubt that if this was included in the retail version your metacritic score will be slightly higher. Not trying to ruin the party or anything.

Anyway, sounds awesome and can't wait, thanks for the continued support.

April 18, 2009 10:35:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Um, last I checked tournament is included in retail...

April 18, 2009 11:27:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump.. so what the heck happened to the singleplayer game frogboy ?

April 19, 2009 12:04:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was most likely scaled back as Multi-player balancing took up more and more development time. I don't think they've delivered what Frogboy hinted at - however I don't mind. Multiplayer is awesome, and thats the reason I bought the game. If you bought Counter-Strike for the singleplayer component, you've missed he idea entirely.

April 19, 2009 4:05:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It doesn't seem to hurt the game too much, either way.  I've played through the tournament mode twice now and it's actually quite a lot of fun!  Technically speaking it is fairly different from most games of this type, or at least those that I've played.  It's almost like an RTS deathmatch tournie or something, and there are some intricacies there that skew things a little differently from jumping online.

April 19, 2009 4:24:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice idea,  

demigod need an tutorial for noob and for the first games.

April 19, 2009 4:33:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting teiman,
juas...  the game has skirmish.  wellcome to skirmish city, population 1: you.  no singleplayer for you, only bots and bots, in skirmish maps :-I

that is bad? you are the judge. 

Was any sort of single-player game even revealed?

April 19, 2009 8:49:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Skirmishes and a tournament with nothing but skirmishes! I sure am glad Stardock takes single player so very very seriously.

April 19, 2009 10:17:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well if you restart a necro thread with out of date info what do you expect?

April 19, 2009 10:41:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game is gold for its multiplayer, the single player tournament isn't so bad.

I think people should have to beet it on nightmare to play online even

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: