The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Logitech wireless mouse faster than wired ones. Is that even possible?

By on March 26, 2016 5:45:29 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2258

New mouse. Usually that one’s a “ho hum” for me…but I figure this one’s for the gamers amongst us…doing my due diligence.

So, it’s the “G900 Chaos Spectrum”. Why not “Warp 10 Evil Faster Than Shite Laser Killer Mouse” – as long as you’re going for loooong names, do it to the hilt, right?

So this one doesn’t compromise on “latency”. Supposedly. So, Logitech set up some tests to check that. (Check out the graphics on cnet)

“According to Logitech's data, the G900 had quicker click latency than the Steelseries Rival 300 and Razer Death Adder, and better motion latency head-to-head with the Death Adder.

For wireless interference tests, Logitech set up each mouse on what sounds like a turntable -- think of a treadmill for a mouse -- and then bombarded it with wireless interference. Its tests show a constant circular pattern being drawn with the G900 and numerous skips and jumps with the competition…the rechargeable battery is rated at 24 hrs. which increases to 32 hrs. if the red LED is turned off. It uses the PMW3366, still considered the best around.” – cnet

Looks like this:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlIW-5jpXM

And read about it here: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse

Price? $149.99.

Source:

http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=22934121128163694730898056497463

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 26, 2016 7:34:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My mouse [goes with the Level 10 case] ....also a hybrid...both wireless and wired for best of both worlds...

March 26, 2016 7:52:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You should call that one 'Transformer Mouse'.

March 26, 2016 9:24:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If Logitech's testing is accurate, that's a quantum advance.

If...

March 26, 2016 9:59:25 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

$150 for a mouse? Yeah, no thanks.

March 26, 2016 10:40:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll say, that's more than I'd spend.

March 26, 2016 12:17:31 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Architechy Mouse, of course, for Jafo.

March 26, 2016 4:12:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wireless vs wired are both light speed transmissions.  The only thing that matters is how slow the hardware is sending and receiving signals.  Whether wired or not, a mouse is still sending a signal, so as long as the other mice are all slowed down by their hardware, you can beat their latency with a wireless just fine.

Edit: Wiring also slows down the transmission rate, so a wireless signal actually moves faster to start with.

March 26, 2016 7:27:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Edit: Wiring also slows down the transmission rate, so a wireless signal actually moves faster to start with.

I think if people are stressing over the latency of electrical transmissions through a copper wire vs radio signal atmospherics they REALLY need to get a life...and face the fact that the reason they're losing at online shoot-em-ups is that they're simply crap at games...

Four fifths of fuck-all is not enough to worry about...

March 26, 2016 7:29:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Architechy Mouse, of course, for Jafo.

It's actually a nicely made mouse.  Main thing is it's tactile...in that it's not a piece of 'placky' ...

March 27, 2016 12:10:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Reduced 80%
Original 550 x 550

My mouse [goes with the Level 10 case] ....also a hybrid...both wireless and wired for best of both worlds...

Yeah, I looked at one of these when I built my Level !0 machine [and really, really wanted one] but the funds were tight and I had to delay its purchase.  Well with one thing or another, being technically homeless for a while and needing new accommodation among them, it has been a couple or more years since then, but the mouse is still on the agenda... when I've managed to save a few more pennies.

Oh, and BTW, my case is black... meaning it'll suit my rig better.

March 27, 2016 12:33:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That was explaining how a wireless mouse could be faster than a wired one, the barrier to using particular mice is in how much the actual operation of the devices slow things down.  In a wireless mouse, translating the received signal tends to create an impassable speed barrier as it's an added step a wired mouse doesn't have.

What mouse you have is actually a very big deal at competitive levels.  Typical high end internet can get you pings on local gaming servers that add less to your delay than the typical mouse will. 

I don't have the reflexes at this point for it to matter what kind of mouse I use, but when I did, and I was still slow then compared to the pro's, a couple milliseconds was important.  Having 30 ping instead of 18 was a pretty big hit to my ability to slaughter whole teams in Counter-Strike back in the day.

Having a 50+ ping mouse on top of a 30+ ping IPS panel would have been brutal.  I'd have needed to use Colt's and AK's just to stay even, going 30-1 with pistols against the best players in Alaska would never have happened.

Also, your mouse is impractical, hole's and shit are a bitch to clean and people are filthy animals that leave grease on everything.

March 27, 2016 7:58:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Also, your mouse is impractical, hole's and shit are a bitch to clean and people are filthy animals that leave grease on everything.

It's actually quite effective...the holes and open architecture prevent your hands from sweating anything like a 'normal' mouse....so cleanliness isn't anywhere like the issue it can be with my old Intellimouse Explorer ...

March 29, 2016 7:59:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

By the looks of this video it seems that the battery won't last longer than 3 days as it haves only 720 mAh intergarted one.

It's a shame cause it's seems like a really good product, of course, if you "forget" about the fact that it costs $150

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.