The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Advice re purchase DONE

laptop+win 7+msword

By on March 20, 2016 8:53:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ElanaAhova

Join Date 09/2008
+102

Looking to get an inexpensive laptop, mainly for word processing, text editing.  Prefer win 7, and MS word.  Have done web searches and its info overload to the max. Suggestions / experince with low end laptop models / manufacturers, etc?  Appreciate help. 

17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 20, 2016 9:51:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I doubt you will find a new laptop with W7 on it.  Probably have to go the used route.

March 20, 2016 11:25:03 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

If you want Win7 look for a good, refurbished model. You should be able to find reviews of older models readily enough.

March 21, 2016 9:10:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Looking to get an inexpensive laptop, mainly for word processing, text editing.
That won't require a huge hard drive but I'd still look for one with at least 320/500 GB storage. Also you'll want at least 4 GB's of Ram since it will most likely be a 64 bit version of Windows.

March 21, 2016 9:24:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kind of tough to recommend something without a price range, how much are you looking to spend?

Lots of Dells on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/PC-Laptops-and-Netbooks-/177/i.html?_nkw=refurbished+dell+laptop+windows+7

March 21, 2016 10:31:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you all for tips.   Yes, x64 bit.  yada.  Thank you all!  

March 21, 2016 5:44:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

For word processing look for the cheapest piece of crap that you can find.  There are few apps that require less processing power.  Pay more attention to the keyboard and screen.  (Personally I would never do any serious WP on a laptop keyboard, but you may feel differently.)  x64 is completely pointless. 4GB RAM will be completely wasted. 

Look for used with: 

* W7 (why?)

* MS Office of some vintage (or your preferred app) already installed

* PS/2 keyboard port so you can attach a real keyboard (I use an IBM M1 but a few modern keyboards are acceptable)

Invest leftover $$ in a decent printer (or hydra). Or your GF.

March 24, 2016 5:17:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DMF,

For word processing look for the cheapest piece of crap that you can find.  There are few apps that require less processing power.  Pay more attention to the keyboard and screen.  (Personally I would never do any serious WP on a laptop keyboard, but you may feel differently.)  x64 is completely pointless. 4GB RAM will be completely wasted. 

Look for used with: 

* W7 (why?)

* MS Office of some vintage (or your preferred app) already installed

* PS/2 keyboard port so you can attach a real keyboard (I use an IBM M1 but a few modern keyboards are acceptable)

Invest leftover $$ in a decent printer (or hydra). Or your GF.

Agree w u (mostly) - Thanks for suggestions! FYI

Actually, I intended to get a keyboard and hook it up via port.  Same for mouse. 

MS word- don't need full office suite.

win 7, why?  Very comfortable with its interface, dislike win 8, and I'm still holding off on the win 10 - why?

1)  MS is pushing it way to aggressively for there NOT to be a 'gotcha' attached.

2)  Yes, it has its pluses, but I am waiting a bit to see what the tech gurus, etc. come up with re: win 10 and spying on me issues.

3)  I would like total transparency from MS about how they are going to make money on Win 10 if no win 11 (yada) is in the wings.  (Probably part of the gotcha.)  Will win 10 turn into a subscription / license arrangement where users have to pay a monthly/yearly fee to keep their currently installed win 10 functioning?  Win 7 will do what I need -  the laptop won't be web enabled. 

March 25, 2016 12:59:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Oh, I agree with you on being suspicious about the later OS versions.  To be fair I've used 8.1 Pro for development and it's different but not nearly as bad I'd feared - except for the sneaky "cloud enabled" default installation.

My point was more that if you buy a used laptop, take whatever is already on it, even if Vista or XP. 

March 25, 2016 1:21:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So Elana. Did you find anything you are looking for yet?

March 29, 2016 1:05:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, Dave, placed an order earlier today.  It doesn't have ms Word.   SO Ill stay with Open Office.  Thanks for asking.  Will report back when it arrives and it up and running.

March 29, 2016 10:51:22 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series

Intel Core i3 5005U, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

http://pc4u.org/best-cheap-laptop-under-300-dollars-for-gaming-and-office/

March 29, 2016 12:21:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

Yes, Dave, placed an order earlier today.  It doesn't have ms Word.   SO Ill stay with Open Office.  Thanks for asking.  Will report back when it arrives and it up and running.

March 29, 2016 12:35:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Elana, sound good

June 6, 2016 11:13:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, laptop arrive.  Win 7 (and free win 10     )  does what I need, basic, easy etc.

June 9, 2016 10:27:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

How many $$ ?

June 17, 2016 9:42:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DMF,

How many $$ ?

$170US

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time: