The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

MS retreats regarding W7, W8.1 Support on computers having Skylake processors

By on March 19, 2016 10:42:21 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2257

“Support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on certain Skylake PCs will now continue until July 17, 2018, a one-year extension from the original deadline. After that date, Microsoft and its computer-making partners will not guarantee that they will revise device drivers to support those editions of Windows on newer hardware.” – Computerworld

They’ve also retreated regarding critical security updates: They will receive ALL updates through their January 2020 and January 2023 retirement dates. This was driven by user complaints they received over their January 2016 change regarding Skylake equipped computers, as well as Lenovo’s negative feedback to MS regarding their ill-advised policy.

“Some parts of Microsoft's revamped Windows 7 and 8.1 support policies did not change today: Microsoft still expects customers to upgrade their Skylake PCs Windows 10 by the new deadline, and the declaration that post-Skylake silicon will support only Windows 10 remained intact.” – ibid

So, for the most part, good news for W7 and W8.1 users who aren’t surprised by installation of W10 when they aren’t looking.

Sources:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3046032/windows-pcs/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-7-support-deadline.html

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9806/windows-10-install-surprising-users

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 19, 2016 1:40:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't help but smile at the title being "MS retreats" rather than "MS extends support for...". Gotta beat that horse.

March 19, 2016 1:47:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1. First they had one policy, then they changed it, and subsequently changed it back again to the first. (18 words).

2. MS retreated. (2 words) : Terser, factual (as they did it under fire) and "red meatier". WIN! 

March 19, 2016 2:48:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

MS retreated.

Nah, they just advanced in the opposite direction.

March 19, 2016 4:18:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

March 19, 2016 7:21:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you keep changing a policy, then it's not a policy, it's just a suggestion.

March 20, 2016 12:43:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, for the most part, good news for W7 and W8.1 users who aren’t surprised by installation of W10 when they aren’t looking

That "Git this Windows 10 down yer throat" is happening to more and more people more often these days.  The Arrogance of MS is astounding.  I would say unbelievable, but it is fact that MS has become so aggressive in forcing Win 10 onto users of previous Windows editions who wanted to remain with them.  I myself was forced to move to Win 10 when I wished to remain with 8.1... and the bastards did it right before my eyes and there was nothing I could do to prevent it, bar unplug my 2-in-1 and pull out the battery.

Some people are telling me that they shut down their machines with Win 7 or 8.1 only to be greeted with Win 10 at their next session.  Now that is arrogance at its worst, with a company that's out of control by performing unwanted/unwelcome changes to peoples personal property.  There's no question of consent, it's just done when one's back is turned.  Now I don't care if it is supposedly 'free', it is no different to a builder breaking into somebody's house and doing a few renovations without consent.  That is criminal, and what MS is doing should be as well..  so why isn't it?

March 20, 2016 12:48:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

So, for the most part, good news for W7 and W8.1 users who aren’t surprised by installation of W10 when they aren’t looking

That "Git this Windows 10 down yer throat" is happening to more and more people more often these days.  The Arrogance of MS is astounding.  I would say unbelievable, but it is fact that MS has become so aggressive in forcing Win 10 onto users of previous Windows editions who wanted to remain with them.  I myself was forced to move to Win 10 when I wished to remain with 8.1... and the bastards did it right before my eyes and there was nothing I could do to prevent it, bar unplug my 2-in-1 and pull out the battery.

Some people are telling me that they shut down their machines with Win 7 or 8.1 only to be greeted with Win 10 at their next session.  Now that is arrogance at its worst, with a company that's out of control by performing unwanted/unwelcome changes to peoples personal property.  There's no question of consent, it's just done when one's back is turned.  Now I don't care if it is supposedly 'free', it is no different to a builder breaking into somebody's house and doing a few renovations without consent.  That is criminal, and what MS is doing should be as well..  so why isn't it?

<EDIT> 

And I thought Apple was arrogant!  Well it is, but Microsoft leap-frogged Apple to become the most arrogant tech company by many a mile.

March 20, 2016 8:48:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting DrJBHL,

MS retreated.

Nah, they just advanced in the opposite direction.

"Advance to the rear" in MilSpeak

March 20, 2016 10:21:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

"Advance to the rear"

Hehe, reminds me of a joke that was going around when I was a teeneager......

Q: How many gears has an Italian tank got?

A: 4 in reverse and 2 going forward.... just in case they're attacked from behind.

March 21, 2016 12:11:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just when you think Microsoft can't stoop any lower...... it does.

Users of Windows 7 and 8.1 received an update with critical patches that displays banner ads for Windows 10  Internet Explorer... like it simply does not get the message not everybody wants to downgrade.  Presumably, this is in response to the millions of users who installed GWX Control Panel, to get the Win 10 message out there by any means possible.

Yup, it's pretty low!  Read more here and here.

March 21, 2016 12:39:14 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

KB3139929 uninstalls without a problem.  Don't use IE (intentionally, anyway).

March 21, 2016 1:27:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Most companies don't outlive their founders by very long.  Looks like Microsoft is determined to go first.

March 21, 2016 2:40:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Most companies don't outlive their founders by very long.  Looks like Microsoft is determined to go first.

Yup, Microsoft is doing everything in its power to alienate and anger people.  I can't recall the last time I heard anyone say anything good about it.  Most people I know are angry at what MS has done to them... what with the constant harrassment to switch to 10, to then downloading and installing it on 'resisters' machines when they're not looking.

Surely there has to be something illegal about that.... virtually hacking into a user's machine and altering it against their will.

March 21, 2016 4:03:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the problem isn't whether you use ie or not, but whether something else uses it (eg windows help files). bundling win10 stuff with security update is a really bad thing.

March 21, 2016 7:46:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

bundling win10 stuff with security update is a really bad thing.

Really bad is an underestimation of Biblical proportions... absolutely criminally atrocious doesn't even cut it.  What Microsoft is doing to peddle its latest OS goes well beyond dirty play.  It's bordering on evil.

March 21, 2016 8:07:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've found a foolproof way of avoiding the auto-upgrade to Windows 10.  I haven't booted up my Win7 partition in a several months.

March 21, 2016 10:14:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,

I've found a foolproof way of avoiding the auto-upgrade to Windows 10.  I haven't booted up my Win7 partition in a several months.

Or you could simply make a tinfoil hat for your PC.

March 22, 2016 8:58:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But... my PC's already made out of metal!

March 22, 2016 11:44:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Maybe so, but you can't be too careful.... like MS penetrating thru the vent holes on the rear, etc. 

Yup, a tinfoil hat for your PC is wise.

April 22, 2016 10:10:57 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

KB3139929 uninstalls without a problem.

My assessment appears to have been premature.  Uninstalling that update hosed IE11 & it's been crashing on opening ever since.  Don't use it very often so didn't see the effect right away.  Having to go through the process of reinstalling IE11 now, which has proven to be a bit convoluted.

April 22, 2016 1:17:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Hehe, reminds me of a joke that was going around when I was a teenager......
And I have one......

For sale......WWII French Battle Rifle. Never been fired, only been dropped once.

April 22, 2016 10:01:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And in other news today, the British army sank the entire fleet of IRA submarines submerged in Belfast Harbour... they went around and knocked on all the hatches.

April 23, 2016 6:57:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Xtra....Xtra...read all about it.

Starkers patented the Flatulence Asteroid Deflector Engine, FADE. Due to lift off for a test run at asteroid Apophis, FADE will shoot a harpoon into the asteroid to anchor it then turn and point the engine exhaust towards deep space and blow it away.

UPDATE: Fade's first test run met with limited success. Apophis was indeed blown away but now the remains, all thirty three of them, are headed straight for......

Oops! I hijacked the thread.

*hiding in corner, don't see me*

May 1, 2016 10:30:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

And in other news today, the British army sank the entire fleet of IRA submarines submerged in Belfast Harbour... they went around and knocked on all the hatches.

and then ate the submarine sandwich buns.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.