The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Dell 5K monitor: Thumbs up!

By on February 29, 2016 4:26:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

I got the Dell 5K monitor. It’s only 27 inches but it’s just gorgeous.  I hooked it up to an NVIDIA 980TI and have been playing Ashes with it.

Below is a screenshot I took that I lowered to a more reasonable resolution so you can see the extra detail you get when running at that resolution.

Ashes-Mar-1

Recommended!

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 29, 2016 7:28:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

What is the connectivity? I remember you said to wait for Display Port 1.3 or so. Did that ever make it with these monitors? 

March 1, 2016 7:49:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo still gets by with a MW221u [ASUS] ....all 21 inches of it.

[the computer is considerably bigger]....

March 1, 2016 8:23:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WOM uses his Philips 52 inch with this old computer.

March 1, 2016 8:29:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice, but I will stick with my dual 2560 x 1440 27" IPS BenQ's. I can only imagine the price of that Dell.  

Yup, I just looked it up and it's about $2,200.00. 

March 1, 2016 8:44:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unfortunately I am still 'limping along' with three 30" monitors at 2560x1600 each and a nVidia GTX 690:

The new 4K+ monitors now available seem great, but generally they have too much screen resolution for the actual monitor size, which makes everything look 'tiny'. As a result, most people enable high DPI settings on their systems, which basically works by magnifying everything. All that extra resolution wasted! lol

For now I'm happy with my monitors, but if I ever decide to upgrade I will have to buy a new graphics card too: the GTX 690 'only' supports a max resolution of 2560x1600 per monitor.

March 1, 2016 12:02:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

30-35 would be a great size for 4k monitors, a 5k 27 inch is perfect, I could quadruple my current resolution at the same size, which would be an outstanding clarity level.  Pixels would be almost indistinguishable at that scale, giving me the same real estate I have now in return for amazing clarity.  I'm not blowing 2 grand for a monitor though, highest I'll go is $800 for a display, I've spent that twice in the past.

March 1, 2016 1:05:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

eh? on a 40" (16:9) 4k screen at native resolution, half the programs out there don't follow dpi scaling and you can't see jack because everything is tiny.

granted, i'm a bit weird in that i am about a metre from the monitor so i use double dpi on desktop.

i'm not really sure 4k works that well in games yet without taxing the cards? though that might change with pascal and polaris. i'm playing most things at 1080 or maybe 1440. even if an older/less taxing game runs smoothly in 4k, the ui don't scale and so i end up not seeing squat. meh.

March 1, 2016 1:30:43 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

I'm sure 5K Ashes is gorgeous in the flesh but that picture doesn't translate well, the game looks better than that with just as much detail on my 1920x1200 (Extreme settings).

March 1, 2016 1:40:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Funny thing is, here we are talking about these mega-pixel monitors when the most common screen resolution (at +- 31%) is... 1366x768.

Immediately followed by 1920x1080 for 21.5% of users out there.

Only 0.11% are blessed with 4K monitors (3840x2160).

March 1, 2016 1:58:28 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,

Funny thing is, here we are talking about these mega-pixel monitors when the most common screen resolution (at +- 31%) is... 1366x768.

Yeah, for the average user monitor lives tend to be at least 5 years, and often longer, so the change will be gradual.  1366x768 will be mostly laptops I think but 1080p is starting to come the norm with them so that is some progress.

March 1, 2016 2:08:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

eh? on a 40" (16:9) 4k screen at native resolution, half the programs out there don't follow dpi scaling and you can't see jack because everything is tiny.

I have a 27 inch 2560x1440's at about two feet, individual pixels are easy to see.  A 3840x2160 at 35 inches is only .20mm dpi instead of the .23 for what I've got now.

March 1, 2016 2:55:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

3 X 24 inch (center is touchscreen) and 3 X 19 inch monitors hooked to 2 NVidia GTX650 cards in one PC.  Serves me well, but I want Jorge's setup!!!

March 2, 2016 7:43:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like my little 1366x768 lappy.

March 2, 2016 2:48:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,

The "most common" anything often isn't relevant to understanding. If you looked at most sold phone models then you wouldn't even get a smartphone in the top 10. But somehow the mobile game market targeting smartphones has grown into a 25 billion dollar industry.

And anyway let's not forget that there are plenty of gamers that are opting for lower resolution but higher refresh rates. And then there's another (much smaller segment) opting for G-sync or Freesync screens. Etc.

I was going to question how Frogboy manages to run Ashes at 5k when I can't even run it at 60fps in 4k with the same GPU... but it seems there's been a ton of optimizations since I last played it! I was averaging ~30 fps at 2560x1600 last time, now I'm getting almost 55 fps at 4k. I'm guessing my 8gb memory and 4690k cpu is dragging me down a bit. 

March 2, 2016 3:20:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My PC can't handle Ashes, so no sense in getting a fancy monitor.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.