The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Adblock Plus - Really?

By on February 21, 2016 6:42:19 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2257

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away there was an app which blocked unwanted and possibly dangerous ads. Then, the good Jedi sold out to the dark side of the Force.

At least, that’s what the Interactive Advertising Bureau Chief Randall Rothenberg is saying about the folks at Adblock Plus…in fact, he’s saying they’re not much more than an old fashioned extortion racket…selling their “white listing” for a price (here) and here.

At the heart of all this is the “Acceptable Ads Platform” where users can whitelist or blacklist ads per their preferences, and the fact that the number two app in the Mac Store (“Crystal”) is apparently going with that model as well…and frankly, folks are calling it a money grab from advertisers. There’s good reason for that. Check this out here.

So, to me it seems that while abuses can happen, the claim od extortion has to be examined.

What are the “Acceptable Advertising” criteria foe ads?

This is our manifesto:

1. Acceptable Ads are not annoying.
  2. Acceptable Ads do not disrupt or distort the page content we're trying to read.
  3. Acceptable Ads are transparent with us about being an ad.
  4. Acceptable Ads are effective without shouting at us.
  5. Acceptable Ads are appropriate to the site that we are on.

What’s wrong with that? Let’s start with one truth: Money runs things. Like the Internet. It ain’t free. Where does that money come from? Advertising. Duh. So, if a company provides a service – such as uncluttering the advertising glut, what’s so bad about charging the advertisers and the public subscribing to that service for doing it? Expecting the service for free is naïve. However, “Just pay us and you’re on.” is unsatisfactory, as well, since all that becomes is an electronic toll booth.

The Advertising industry should take some blame in having created the “Clearly” and “Adblock Plus” services. Had they been doing quality work, there would be no need for them.

The ultimate irony? The Conference which created this storm by “uninviting” or “refunding” Adblock Plus’s registration fee won’t see full attendance due to blizzard conditions. Fitting, when one thinks about the blizzard of advertising they helped create by their “maximizing profits” by the number of ads on the net.

Someone has to put the brakes on, no?

Sources:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/12/rip-adblock-plus/

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/iab-chief-blasts-adblock-plus-immoral-mendacious-coven-techie-wannabes-169194

and others linked above.

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 21, 2016 6:49:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A program that automatically only blocked dangerous or irritating advertisements, would be fantastic.  Ones that run audio, hijack the page, cause performance problems, etc, are the only reason I have blocking software to start with.  I turn it off where it's not needed.

February 21, 2016 7:11:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, it would, wouldn't it? Of course, it would require programmers, reliable criteria, etc. That would cost a good deal more than $0.99 in the app store, wouldn't it.

An welcome alternative/supplementary approach would be reforming the Ad industry.

February 21, 2016 8:05:37 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The ad industry can complain about blocking once they put an end to malvertising on their networks.

February 21, 2016 8:56:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kryo,

The ad industry can complain about blocking once they put an end to malvertising on their networks.

Indeed. 

What I took away from it was an IT version of evolution, actually. They created the niche for ad blocking software, and the ad blockers enjoyed enthusiastic support. Then, due to a desire for greater (financial) rewards, ad blockers sought a kind of commencalism with the ad companies.

If they actually hold the ad companies to the criteria they have developed, no problem. If not, they will die out from not fulfilling the original need. A nice dynamic equilibrium, imho.

February 21, 2016 11:17:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't want to see advertising of any kind on web pages I visit, and mostly I don't thanks to Ad Block Plus, but I have gone to extremes on occasion to block the web site and domains of persistent offenders who won't take no for an answer.

When I am in the market to purchase items, I go to the relevant stores and do my own research/comparisons and opt for the product best suited to me.  I don't need advertising forced down my throat at every turn, every opportunity to thrust it upon me.

For mine, advertisers go way too far, and like you say Doc, some kind of regulation is necessary.... because they won't regulate/restrain themselves fron going over the top with inventive ways to be noticed..... er, be intrusive.

*rant off*

February 21, 2016 12:28:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nothing in this world is ideal. As long as Adblock Plus is around I am happy. If too many companies pay Adblock to become whitelisted then you just say no to "Acceptable Ads". It's just one click in preferences. I think the people behind Adblock Plus know that "Acceptable Ads" is a balancing act. If they allow too many, people will just turn off "Acceptable Ads".

I think Acceptable Ads are great because the web needs a revenue stream to be healthy. When Adblock Plus introduced Acceptable Ads I was happy about it. I never felt good blocking everything. If you put "sane advertisements" on your website you should be able to make money so you can keep your website alive.

There are many adblockers so if Adblock Plus makes bad decisions then others will replace it.

February 21, 2016 1:21:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You must change from AdBlock Plus to ublock origine ==> https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/ which is much more efficient, takes much less memory and is much more quickest

... and of course with Ghostery which is the very best ad blocker ==> https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/ghostery/reviews/?src=api

N;B: both have a version for chrome for those running it

February 21, 2016 3:23:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neophil78,

You must change from AdBlock Plus to ublock origine
Hate FF, I use Ie So any tip 4 that ??

February 21, 2016 3:46:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

Quoting neophil78,

You must change from AdBlock Plus to ublock origine

Hate FF, I use Ie So any tip 4 that ??

gear icon -> Safety -> Turn on Tracking Protection

gear icon -> Manage Addons

in the new window -> Tracking Protection -> Get a Tracking Protection List online ...

in the new page -> scroll down to add tracking protection list

(yes, i am talking about blocking ads, even though MS decided to call that feature "tracking protection". but then those things go hand in hand anyways)

----

or use Adblock Plus

----

or use Adguard

https://adguard.com/en/adblock-adguard-internet-explorer.html 

February 22, 2016 1:58:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

this is absurd

companies running ads will just have more expenses, (which will increase product prices) so that potentially ads will be shown to those that actually installed an anti-adware. looser in this case is, as always, the general customer, (since prices go up) and the uninformed (since he doesn't know about this or doesn't care much about options...)

it would really be nice if companies would focus more on quality & honesty as opposed to designed obsolesence or mass manipulation.

hmm, I'm still using the old AdBlock (in Opera12) which seems to be no more around for legal reasons by the creators of AdBlockPlus. Though both seems to use the same lists, but I don't have this "Acceptable Ads" in settings grrrrr so, I wonder if I'm getting these displayed? Could someone provide a link with such an "Acceptable Ads" permanently showing?

February 22, 2016 2:01:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

This is my manifesto: 

Acceptable Ads are annoying. 

Acceptable Ads do disrupt or distort the page content I'm trying to read. 

Acceptable Ads are treacherous with us about being an ad. 

Acceptable Ads are ineffective without shouting at us. 

Acceptable Ads are inappropriate to the site that we are on.

/fixed

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.