The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” – B. Franklin

By on February 19, 2016 6:20:52 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2258

Tim Cook, is saying “No!”, in thunder to the DoJ.

But…”What if there’s info in there that would help catch terrorists?” That “What if” that makes us decide for ourselves the answer to Ben Franklin’s statement. Tim Cook said “No.” to the Justice Department’s Order to assist the FBI extract data from the San Bernadino terrorist’s phone. Wanna know something? He was right to do so.

Why? Well, for one thing, does it occur to anyone that the FBI has the terrorist’s fingerprint? So, why can’t they unlock the phone? Does it occur to anyone the government has super Cray computers which could have unlocked that phone? Why do they want the backdoor which they’ve wanted for a year at least? Why are they saying this is a “once only” when it clearly is not?

The FBI says it would be a “one time”, and that your device’s security wouldn’t be compromised. Security experts disagree: THEY say it will. Guess who I believe? Why should anyone believe that “one time” nonsense? The NSA collected your data illegally for years. Now? Congress has made it legal. Trust them to take your rights without a fight.

From the moment the FBI was created, J. Edgar Hoover collected dirt on everyone and used it to blackmail Presidents and Congresses and Courts. You think anything has changed? They’ve only gotten better at it, and justifying it because they know they’re dealing with sheep (sorry, Jim). The government has violated your rights with impunity, and poo-poo it, and they’ve done it for years…and will continue to do so.

So, if they can unlock the phone (does anyone really believe they can’t?), why ask a Court for an order? Because they want it “legally” (who doesn’t love a farce?), and more than ANYTHING, they want a PRECEDENT. That is what they MUST NOT obtain. The Bill of Rights stands as an integrated whole. The First, Second and Fifth Amendments most definitely depend upon the Fourth Amendment, and “What if” is Not sufficient reason to violate anyone’s privacy, just as “We want to know” isn’t, either.

The government knows it cannot justify the iPhone search with proof there actually is data there which is critical to the security of America. They are acting out of “What if?”. Well, that’s called a “fishing expedition”. It is inadequate reason for a Federal Judge to grant a search warrant. The Court Order was a serious breach of every citizen’s right to privacy and unreasonable search and seizure. Judges guard the Fourth Amendment jealously. They’d better, because the FBI would be looking at their phones with any imaginary “what if” they could dream up. Not just the FBI: Every local Police Dep’t. could “justify” such a search in a similar manner. Where is the boundary?

“We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.” – B. Franklin. Well, The EFF and ACLU, Google, Twitter and Facebook are standing with Apple on this. Shaping up to be an epic fight. I hope “We the People” win. “Backdoors” weaken security. They do not strengthen it. If a backdoor exists, ANYONE can exploit it, and will. The CIA has been trying to break into iPhones for years without success. You can bet the FSB and others have, as well.

So, Tim Cook is vowing to fight the DoJ’s Magistrate’s Order all the way to the Supreme Court. So would I: At best? There’ll be a tie, and no way to resolve it. Fitting in a karmic way.

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/18/fbi-apple-iphone-explainer/

202 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 21, 2016 9:24:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Perhaps you need a new 'War of Independence' from your own self.

That's not that far of a stretch, actually.

February 21, 2016 9:39:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Who is the bigger idiot....the one in power or the one who put him there?...

Ugh, don't get me started. BOTH major U.S. parties are unresponsive to the needs of the people (unless you count corporations as a person). Why, because in any given election, they have a 50% chance of being elected. Those are great odds. Too good.

BOTH parties just push the people's buttons, and distract them with issues that really don't matter to keep them loyal and compliant.

The only way to change this (short of a revolution) is to have at least two more VIABLE political parties. But that's unlikely to happen.

February 21, 2016 9:54:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On a sort of 'related' issue re 'privacy' ... we in Oz have 'Tap and Go' credit cards which don't require Pins or signatures up to a value of $100 per transaction.

This means they can be skimmed without your knowledge and your bank details can be stolen and the first you know is when your account gets 'spent' without you even aware until it's mostly too late.

An Oz company came up with a solution ...an RFID jammer that you can put in your wallet [it's credit card sized] and it quietly sits there inert until a skim is attempted - and blocks it.

I just got mine today, a better solution than punching holes in the card to attempt to kill the antenna coil.

Of course the Kiwis simply got the option to NOT have tap-and-go on their cards, but here Visa [and others] claim the feature is what people want.  [I didn't].

If you're in the same boat....take a squiz at 'armourcard' [with a 'u' - I said it was Australian] ...

www.armourcard.com.au 

February 21, 2016 9:55:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Americans' fear/distrust of their own Government and/or authority is the fundamental issue.

Indeed. The British taught us well. Here's a novel concept: The government serves the people, not vice versa. Here's another: The government should fear the people, not vice versa.

Quoting Daiwa,

That's not that far of a stretch, actually.

Jefferson thought a revolution every 20 yrs. was a good idea.

But then, we all know Australia's paradise...from the hordes washing up on the California beaches.

February 21, 2016 10:29:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

I'm armed to a level that would send the typical lefty running in hilariously misplaced terror, I wont lose a minute of sleep over someone that makes me shoot them

How very, very sad, that you feel the need to arm yourself to the teeth.  Worse still, that you have no compunction about shooting somebody dead.  Oh how I thank my lucky stars that I do't live in duch a society... a country with so much gun violence.... multiple gun deaths every day.  Where I live, there wouldn't be a gun death a month. In fact, I can't remember when there was a gun death in my town, it was that many years ago.

Simply put, I highly value our gun controls here in Oz.... the fact that our lunatics can't easily get their hands on firearms and go on the crazed shootings sprees of the US that populate [even our] news programs most nights.   Yup, I know which country I'm so much safer in... with the absence of too easily obtained firearms that all too often end up in the hands of some nut job who's simply having a bad hair day.

Okay, this rant went off topic and isn't about privacy, but when the law of the land [the Constitution] supposedly protects one's privacy and safey, yet in the same breath it says it's a citizens inalienable 'right' to bear arms, then there is something seriously fucking wrong. Yeah, fight for the right to privacy and free speech, etc, but for fuck sake, how is anyone safer in a society where ther's more than a dozen guns per person. While the majority of peope are good, there's a percentage who are inherrently bad, evil, or who are plain nut jobs with an axe to grind... er, gun to fire, so somebody's bound to get shot, maimed or killed when a trip to the 7 Eleven gets one a gun and all the ammo he/she needs.

Okay, rant off, but seriously, things are pretty fucked up when a nation fights harder for the means to kill and maim than it does for the right to universal medical care.

Anyhow, I'm out of here, it [the Constitution and its so -called rights] is too volatile a discussion for me to remain tight lipped on emotive issues that surely affect our humanity, humility and harmony. 

February 21, 2016 10:31:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Americans' fear/distrust of their own Government and/or authority is the fundamental issue.

Fear of government - yes (not all government, just what the current US government is slowly morphing into)

Fear of authority - not as much, I don't believe we are as a whole, anarchists

Quoting Jafo,

Perhaps you need a new 'War of Independence' from your own self.

The ability to do just that is one of the biggest reasons for the 2nd amendment. Not that I am advocating this, now. But I believe we should reserve the right and ability to do just that, if required.

The political system in this country is its own self-feeding beast at this time. The left and right, as much as they argue and bicker, LOVE the fact that currently it is only one or the other of them. In my opinion there is nothing they fear more than people running/winning without one of the their seals of approval.

If I recall reading correctly somewhere a few years back, one of the founding fathers (Jefferson if I had to guess) stated something to the fact that political parties are an anathema to the productive process of a country/government. It's a damn shame we can't get someone elected to a real position of power in this country from the actual middle. Personally my politics have me decidedly in both camps on different issues, and the fact that I have to abandon nearly half every time I vote is both disheartening and revolting. If we all voted our heart I'm quite positive that someone from the middle would be elected, however the brainwashing from both the left and right about votes being wasted if you don't vote along one or the others party lines is very effective.

February 21, 2016 11:11:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

If I recall reading correctly somewhere a few years back, one of the founding fathers (Jefferson if I had to guess) stated something to the fact that political parties are an anathema to the productive process of a country/government. It's a damn shame we can't get someone elected to a real position of power in this country from the actual middle. Personally my politics have me decidedly in both camps on different issues, and the fact that I have to abandon nearly half every time I vote is both disheartening and revolting. If we all voted our heart I'm quite positive that someone from the middle would be elected, however the brainwashing from both the left and right about votes being wasted if you don't vote along one or the others party lines is very effective.

Well, that's not unique to just the US ... Australia suffers from the same problem too [As do the English].

When it's 'us or them' it's really an issue of choosing the lesser of 2 evils .... and it's therefore never 'we'....

February 22, 2016 4:47:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Okay, this rant went off topic and isn't about privacy, but when the law of the land [the Constitution] supposedly protects one's privacy and safey, yet in the same breath it says it's a citizens inalienable 'right' to bear arms, then there is something seriously fucking wrong.

The reason that is in the Constitution is...Britain. They tried to take the weapons away from us while we were "settling" an untamed country with French and Native Americans as well as hostile wildlife. Hunting for food was also a rather commonplace thing. In addition, there are those who having learned about "government" and its propensity to usurp kept their weapons to protect themselves from that "wildlife" as well.

Actually, because there were no "armories" (can't have them, eh Georgie III?), and there were no "bases" (like Ft. Hood, etc.) so people kept their weapons at home and were organized as local/state militia. Many of the "rights" enumerated in the Bill of Rights, in fact are due to the behavior of the British Crown and Army, along with their German mercenaries - the Hessians...and our determination never to be treated that way again.

And then, there's this: http://news.yahoo.com/common-software-let-fbi-unlock-160352000.html

February 22, 2016 7:12:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starkers, Jafo will ban me long before he bans you, don't worry so much.

It's not the difference in gun ownership that makes the murder rate in the US 4 times as high as it is in Australia.  Switzerland has a massive gun ownership rate, with army service being mandatory, and every member keeping their weapons at home, yet they have an even lower murder rate than Oz does.  When your gun ban was enacted in 1996, the only impact it had on the murder rate was a brief spike after it's implementation, no reduction seen.  Other countries all get the same results with their gun bans, and repealed gun bans, dick for crime prevention from reducing gun availability.

The reason the US has a high rate, is because the US is fucked, ethnically, socially, and legally.  We have a massive criminal gang element, that our judiciary refuses to prosecute on minor beefs, despite having the legal tools to do so, financially incentivised by our pointless prostitution, gun, and drug laws.  We have a very large transient population composed primarily of the mentally ill, who were expelled from institutionalization because the courts ruled it was wrong to do so unless they were proven to be a danger before hand.  We have an extremely ethnically diverse population, complete with the racial strife that comes with it.  We also have most of our murders in places where people have been disarmed by the government.  These areas also have the worst schools, particularly in those ethnically diverse areas, and our failing education system leads to poverty, which makes being a gang banger and killing your neighbors for money a lot more attractive than wasting time in school.

I am "armed to the teeth" because I have a loaded 45 for self defense, a loaded shotgun for that damned skunk that keeps crawling under the house, and a collection of rifles my grandfather made.  It's not fear of my government, the fact that I have them is why I have to worry in the first place, antique hunting rifles aren't particularly useful for taking on the government anyway.  That the tards would freak out at the idea of a guy with a few dozen guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition is simply their inability to grasp obvious things, like ammunition being radically cheaper in bulk, and responsibly carrying requiring a great deal of practice for those of us who aren't innately good shots that were simply born with perfect aim.  My father was, he can hit what he's aiming at without practicing, ever.  I have to put a hundred rounds in a target before I'm hitting it most of the time at 50 feet.  To responsibly conceal carry, I will have to go through a few hundred rounds a year to stay in practice, and that costs two to three times as much if you buy your ammo twenty at a time, instead of a thousand at a time.

It's also not my fault if someone makes me kill them.  It's theirs.  If you attack someone else, and they kill you in self defense, it would be a tragedy if it bothered them.  First they've been accosted by some animal, and now they're supposed to feel guilty about surviving the attack?  They should be pissed at the inconvenience you've caused them while they're being harassed by the authorities.  If anything, when someone without compunction or self control gets themselves removed from the living, it should be a joyous occasion, one less animal wearing human skin, preying upon the sheeple.

February 22, 2016 7:19:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A brief word regarding the actual topic of the OP, and the truth which gradually emerges:

"The most recent development in the case came over the weekend, when the FBI admitted that it had hastily reset the Apple ID password of terrorist Syed Farook’s iPhone 5c, removing the possibility that it could connect to Apple’s servers and perform a fresh iCloud backup. That backup would have provided the FBI with additional data that it is now attempting to get from the device itself by forcing Apple to crack its passcode. Though changing the password amounts to destruction of an avenue of investigation, the FBI argues that it needs more information than a backup could provide, a statement disputed by a senior Apple engineer." - Techcrunch

"The executives — speaking on background — also explicitly stated that what the FBI is asking for — for it to create a piece of software that allows a brute force password crack to be performed — would also work on newer iPhones with its Secure Enclave chip. This is a battle Apple is fighting for all iPhones, not just older models. Apple’s executives said that the methods the FBI are ordering it to use in bypassing the iPhone’s security could be used as a template or master key that could unlock more devices in the future. The FBI’s original order and the subsequent government filings have consistently stated that the kinds of access it is looking for would be limited to this single device." - Techcrunch

The FBI isn't just interested in iPhones and Apple. If it succeeds in this overkill which we are to believe was due to a "blunder" in changing the original pass code (namely not understanding what the hell they were doing), it will have a legal precedent (which Congress has not even voted on, yet) to use on other companies, never mind a lower Court actually creating as yet non-existent law...something else not provided for in the Constitution, as well as an armed Federal Agency being permitted to do an end run around Congress. 

February 22, 2016 7:47:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

We have an extremely ethnically diverse population,

Just recently it was quoted....40% of Australians were not born in Australia.......it's 12% for the US.

You might want to re-evaluate 'diversity'.

The ONLY stats stating gun crime reduction 'failing' here in Oz were authored by the NRA for obvious agenda.

Neither sidetrack is actually all that relevant to the OP.  Possibly my reference to the Aussie invented RFID jammer is more relevant...

February 22, 2016 9:07:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In case one's interested here's the judge's order;

February 22, 2016 9:40:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sorry Jafo, but 90% European is nowhere near as diverse as the US, we're down around 60%.  Now 50 years from now, if your immigration continues to shift away from a European majority, you're going to look a lot more like the US.  We owe our abnormally high rate almost entirely to the high rate at which minorities kill each themselves, blacks in particular.  They're 13% of the population, but they commit nearly 40% of the murders.  Mentioning it makes me a racist, of course.

You're also conflating gun crimes with crimes.  According to your government statistics(you can't blame the NRA for them) 84% of your homicides aren't using a gun, pretending fewer people kill each other because you restricted gun access doesn't really get you anywhere.  The homicide rate, and the rate of gun usage in them, has been declining for decades, long before the gun law in 1996, and their trajectories remain unchanged, with the exception of spikes shortly after, yes, spikes.  I presume they were mostly as a result of the dot com bubble and other negative influences on economic prosperity, which have been shown to be the primary drivers in the rise and fall of crime statistics.  Violent crimes as a whole went up significantly for several years following the immensely successful gun buyback, far more than homicides did, and far longer.

February 22, 2016 9:57:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting psychoak,

It's also not my fault if someone makes me kill them.  It's theirs.  If you attack someone else, and they kill you in self defense, it would be a tragedy if it bothered them. 

It's not killing in self defense that's the problem, it the way stand your ground laws are written to exonerate whoever survives the conflict. (when you're not on personal property). Dead people can't talk, so the law believes the shooter. That opens the door for lots of potential abuse.

February 22, 2016 10:41:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Possibly my reference to the Aussie invented RFID jammer is more relevant...

As is the Swiss Company J.G. Neher & Sons.

Incredibly, Aluminum foil and even duct tape (I swear) will turn the trick for jamming the RFID chip scanner/skimmers:

http://lifehacker.com/145519/how-to-make-an-rfid-blocking-duct-tape-wallet

http://lifehacker.com/5896785/foil-electronic-pickpockets-with-aluminum-foil-or-multiple-credit-cards

http://lifehacker.com/5842853/make-your-own-rfid-shielded-wallet-to-foil-id-thieves

February 22, 2016 10:46:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I grew up and raised in one of the 2 most liberal states in the U.S.(Calif).  I've lived through and seen it all.  I've been attacked and chased.  Well I moved and when I put on my pants the .45 in on them. 

Jafo, you do remember it was a republican who freed the slaves?  You keep mentioning the KKK, well they were democrats. 

I for one am glad to have a CHL that I went to class for.

February 22, 2016 11:03:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Unless you're a 90 pound woman that shoots a 200 pound man, that just isn't the case.  In the last few years, there have been incidents where people had the absolute crap beat out of them before they managed to shoot attackers who were known criminals with a history of violence, and were then put on trial for it anyway.  The most famous being the Trayvon Martin case.  A poor 17 year old kid, a kid that was ripped from playing football and had a history of violence and rage inducing drug use, who just happened to be curb stomping an overweight Hispanic suffering from multiple lacerations to the back of his head and face from where he was being bashed against the pavement, along with witnesses that saw it going down, was "murdered" by this evil white guy that chased him down and shot him.

As an actual white guy, if I move to Florida, and shoot a black guy twice my size that comes at me without having a gun in his hand, I'm probably going to trial even if I'm bleeding all over the ground when I shoot him.  Rarities where someone gets away with murder because of it just aren't that common, and typically don't even apply to the law.  When two people have a shoot out, and the drug dealer or buyer that survives gets off, stand your ground doesn't apply.  You can't run away from bullets in the first place.  Your ability to flee someone who pulls a gun on you is zero unless they just don't feel like shooting you in the back.  I have seen the odd case where it was obvious abuse, but this is why we have jury's, and they're far outweighed by the number of people who have been murdered trying to flee an attacker, which is an act of absolute stupidity if you can actually put them down.  Unless you're running from a obviously unhealthy individual that isn't armed and can't possibly be fast enough, you're guaranteeing you'll lose the fight if they catch you.  For slow people, it amounts to attempted suicide.

February 22, 2016 11:44:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Unless you're a 90 pound woman that shoots a 200 pound man, that just isn't the case.  In the last few years, there have been incidents where people had the absolute crap beat out of them before they managed to shoot attackers who were known criminals with a history of violence, and were then put on trial for it anyway.  The most famous being the Trayvon Martin case.  A poor 17 year old kid, a kid that was ripped from playing football and had a history of violence and rage inducing drug use, who just happened to be curb stomping an overweight Hispanic suffering from multiple lacerations to the back of his head and face from where he was being bashed against the pavement, along with witnesses that saw it going down, was "murdered" by this evil white guy that chased him down and shot him.

Ah yes, Travon Martin. The "Hispanic guy" has proven to have some serious anger management issues, as well as being a liar (about his assets, and faking a rescue, at least ).

It was a case of two idiots over reacting, but it's fairly clear who was the instigator.

This is the latest story I could find, but there are plenty more detailing the escapades of Zimmerman.

http://www.ibtimes.com/george-zimmerman-nbc-lawsuit-update-after-trayvon-martin-story-zimmerman-vows-pay-2204711

February 22, 2016 2:38:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Anything other than an examination of the actual facts of the Martin/Zimmerman interaction is useless posturing.

February 22, 2016 3:38:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting Jafo,

Possibly my reference to the Aussie invented RFID jammer is more relevant...

As is the Swiss Company J.G. Neher & Sons.

Incredibly, Aluminum foil and even duct tape (I swear) will turn the trick for jamming the RFID chip scanner/skimmers:

http://lifehacker.com/145519/how-to-make-an-rfid-blocking-duct-tape-wallet

http://lifehacker.com/5896785/foil-electronic-pickpockets-with-aluminum-foil-or-multiple-credit-cards

http://lifehacker.com/5842853/make-your-own-rfid-shielded-wallet-to-foil-id-thieves

Yes, there are half-arsed ways to attempt to 'block' readers but this isn't one of them.  It jams the frequency used.  Quaint issue is...if the jammer is put too close to the shop's scanner when you purchase something on a tag and go ...it'll cause the reader to be needed to be reset/rebooted.

February 22, 2016 4:04:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting psychoak,

It's not the difference in gun ownership that makes the murder rate in the US 4 times as high as it is in Australia.  Switzerland has a massive gun ownership rate, with army service being mandatory, and every member keeping their weapons at home, yet they have an even lower murder rate than Oz does. 

AFAIK it's rifles, no guns, and old, heavy & loud ones. So if you're a criminal you think a lot about *stealth*, such clumsy rifles that actually wake the whole neighbourhood when discharged and can't be concealed under a common dress are rather impractical.

Then, Switzerland people are one of the most rich people in the world, there is simply not much reason for a born-Switz to endulge into criminality in the first place....

Quoting psychoak,

We have a very large transient population composed primarily of the mentally ill, who were expelled from institutionalization because the courts ruled it was wrong to do so unless they were proven to be a danger before hand.  We have an extremely ethnically diverse population, complete with the racial strife that comes with it.  We also have most of our murders in places where people have been disarmed by the government.

and still these people are constantly able to get guns. and when they have one, they feel suddenly overtly confident & do risky stuff.

IMO except police or military NOONE should be allowed to have access to firearms whatsoever. if everybody is de-armed this would make is so easy for police to deal with all those criminals, because they wouldn't have to fear constantly for their life when making a single arrest etc pp

if you want to defend yourself get a big dog or 2. if you train it well it's so much more better & reliable than a household weapon, at least, if the intruder doesn't possess a firearm as well (a knife or bat won't help him...). and I say much better because a gun just lulls you into a feeling of false security, because you've got no guarantee whatsoever you may be able to use it against a careful Night Stalker-type of intruder. Which is a good case to mention - one of his victim was actually alert by him and tried to shoot at him with her rifle under her bed; but it only made click because it wasn't loaded - in her state of mind (half-sleeped/freightened) she forgot that she unloaded it previously. Yeah bad tactic, actually jumping out of a window may have saved her life but she was feeling bold... and these types of mistakes happen when you're unprepared & taken off guard. Or that you mistake your girlfriend for an intruder & shoot her sitting on the toilette...

February 22, 2016 5:23:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ahh, the puppies and rainbows view, if only they just didn't exist.

The Swiss also issue a semi auto 9mm, the most common handgun used in like 40% of crimes with a gun.

Then, Switzerland people are one of the most rich people in the world, there is simply not much reason for a born-Switz to endulge into criminality in the first place....

Which is further down the post...

A dog is good to have, but you can't take your trained attack dog to the theater, where a crazy guy pretends to be the joker and goes on a killing spree.  The problem is you can't take your gun either, which is why these things happen.  People interested in committing murder don't do such silly things like leave their gun at home in a lock box.  Criminals with guns only buy them legally in somewhere around 3% of the cases, so good luck getting rid of them by making them illegal.  Back before they were invented, strangely enough, crime in general and murder in particular were both far more common than after.  It probably has something to do with trained attack dogs being harder to get.

February 22, 2016 5:35:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

there are half-arsed ways

Really? They say they work...but I guess you're objective.

February 22, 2016 7:21:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

you'll learn how to shoot with a 9mm during your time, yes, but carry does this weapon the commanding stuff

Quoting psychoak,

Criminals with guns only buy them legally in somewhere around 3% of the cases, so good luck getting rid of them by making them illegal.

sure, but these weapons ultimately have to come from somewhere, so I would venture to say they've been produced by your own industry, sold legally, and then entered the black market.

Quoting psychoak,

Back before they were invented, strangely enough, crime in general and murder in particular were both far more common than after.  

perhaps, but your crimerate is still obscenely high in comparison to other countries which restrict firearms more 

February 22, 2016 7:44:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Really? They say they work...but I guess you're objective.

^ Passive Shields or metallic wallets Only reduce the signal strength, this will not block a high-powered RFID reader  Source: Credit Card Fraud The contactless Generation | Kristin Paget | Chief Hacker, Recursion Ventures. Please note Kristin Paget does not sponsor or officially endorse this website or product, we have only referenced a report that is freely available online to download and read. All credit for the report and its findings go to Kristin Paget. - See more at: http://www.armourcard.com.au/rfid-protective-product-comparison/#sthash.nOvwWYUB.dpuf 

Doc...on some of those links of yours they also claim 2 RFID cards will confuse a scanner and be safe.  They only confuse a POS reader so you have the option to choose which to use.  A Scanner will simply 'get' whichever it locates first.

'working' is relative....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.