The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

aphantasia–cannot visualize

By on February 9, 2016 4:30:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

My wife and I recently came across a show that referenced a person who had the inability to visualize images in their minds. 

My immediate reaciton was, “Of course they can’t, nobody can.  We call those hallucinations.”  I thought it was absurd to suggest that people could just conjure up an image in their minds. 

Turn out, I’m the defective one: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/science/aphantasia-minds-eye-blind.html?_r=0

So in my case (which for 45 years I assumed was the same for everyone else), I can’t close my eyes and visualize say an apple.  If I see someone and close my eyes I won’t recall anything I just saw.  I couldn’t identify their shirt.   Unless I explicitly memorize it, I won’t remember a visual detail (like what my son’s glasses look like – I have no idea). 

To me, you close your eyes, it’s dark.  Sort of “Duh, of course.” 

I was aware that I could not easily recognize people.  Put one of my friends at the mall here and I wouldn’t recognize them easily.  But until the show we watched, I had no idea that people could actually visualize an image in their mind.  For me, it’s pretty mind blowing.

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 22, 2016 3:45:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting The_Gear,

But now this makes a lot of sense on why I see ways to fix things or do things that my wife may not see. (And why me trying to explain it makes no sense to someone who can't see it visually in their mind)

No, that's simply the reality your wife is always correct and you are always wrong.

Haven't been married long? ....

February 23, 2016 8:32:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting The_Gear,

But now this makes a lot of sense on why I see ways to fix things or do things that my wife may not see. (And why me trying to explain it makes no sense to someone who can't see it visually in their mind)

No, that's simply the reality your wife is always correct and you are always wrong.

Haven't been married long? ....

Har har

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.