The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Interesting article…MS and the “Dark Side”.

By on February 6, 2016 7:29:08 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2258

Permit me to quote:

“Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela explained that users who choose Windows 7 do so “at your own risk, at your own peril” and he revealed Microsoft has concerns about its future software and hardware compatibility, security and more.

“We do worry when people are running an operating system that’s 10 years old that the next printer they buy isn’t going to work well, or they buy a new game, they buy Fallout 4, a very popular game, and it doesn’t work on a bunch of older machines,” Capossela stated. “And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems.”

He also stressed it is “so incredibly important to try to end the fragmentation of the Windows install base” and to get users to a “safer place”.” – Forbes

The only real issue is sales and profits. There’s no reason (apart from stopping support) that Windows 7 should be any less secure than W10…

Wasn’t MS supposed to support W7 until 2020? Or…is that a new nuance to “support”? Will they only issue “vital” patches? And, if you want a machine with a Skylake processor? Well, MS won’t support W7 or 8.1 on a Skylake CPU, it seems.

It seems MS will only provide support for W7 and W8.1 until midsummer 2017.

Already MS has downloaded W10 “by accident” to some computers, and has changed the GWX (get Windows 10) app to seem as if you have no choice but to update. Will they also take away the possibility of clicking the close button to avoid the false choice?

An interesting question.

Incidentally, I took the free upgrade because Stardock made it possible to keep skinning the ugliness (thank you Neil!). I did the shop because Mark needed the spanking…lol. In truth, he’s been a great friend for yonks. I’m trying to convince him to at least give W10 a try.

Source:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3030564/microsoft-windows/microsoft-uses-the-force-you-will-upgrade-to-windows-10.html

75 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 9, 2016 4:30:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

While my TFH is in the closet most of the time, I resemble that remark, the_Monk!

Starkers - Maybe this is what you actually mean (Oz language barrier 'n all), but the OS wouldn't have the chance to 'fail', it just wouldn't install.

February 9, 2016 5:10:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's not really possible for an OS to not install.  You can, today, install windows 7 on a skylake system.  For this to change, Microsoft would have needed to plan ahead and purposefully design the operating system with future knowledge of Intel's architecture ten years later, to break and no longer work with it after a while.

You may not be able to get everything working, but the only way they can make the stuff not work on things it currently does, is by actively breaking it.  To do so would only be possible via updates, and would result in an immediate class action lawsuit and probable criminal prosecution for sabotaging their customers intentionally.  At best, the people running the company would soon be out of a job in retaliation for losing hundreds of millions.

Unless they truly have lost all sense of perspective and think they can literally get away with murder, in which case fear for their jobs will send the government cracking down on them so hard they'll think the IE insanity was a wet dream, they wont be doing this sort of thing and they're just trying to scare up some business by making it sound like things will stop working.

February 9, 2016 5:55:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

You may not be able to get everything working, but the only way they can make the stuff not work on things it currently does, is by actively breaking it. To do so would only be possible via updates, and would result in an immediate class action lawsuit and probable criminal prosecution for sabotaging their customers intentionally. At best, the people running the company would soon be out of a job in retaliation for losing hundreds of millions.

Unless they truly have lost all sense of perspective and think they can literally get away with murder, in which case fear for their jobs will send the government cracking down on them so hard they'll think the IE insanity was a wet dream, they wont be doing this sort of thing and they're just trying to scare up some business by making it sound like things will stop working.

I kinda said all that but just with less wear and tear on my 2 finger typing ...

February 9, 2016 7:27:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In my case, verbose repartee is how I keep my hands from degrading to the point where I can't type at all.  Short and succinct isn't much good for practice.

Edit: Type ftw, really haven't been typing enough the last several months.  It's gone completely to shit!

February 10, 2016 2:57:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

other than that.........the tinfoil is strong in this thread!

And you're so confident MS isn't doing anything untoward!  The fact that MS keeps reissuing Win 10 updates in various guises to users who have repeatedly rejected it says a lot for me... not to mention the vague/ambiuous descriptions for patches and updates so nobody really knows what they're installing.  These things are not of tinfoil territory, they're fact.

The truth is, MS is doing everything short of downright illegal to get every Windows user onto Win 10, and because not everyone is complying, it is resorting to more desperate measures to trick, cajole, force people into using it.  Well that ain't happening here.  I'm one of millions who don't like Win 10 and who will switch platforms when their current Windows OS is no longer viable.

I really hoped the next OS [after 8.1] was going to be the best yet, but for mine, Win 10 is the worst Windows ever.... even without my tinfoil hat.

February 10, 2016 9:13:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JMHO, not sure how recent that stats are but 10 has about a 12% market share while 7 is still above 50%. I'm thinking that even with the "free" upgrade that they may be disappointed with the results. They are now turning to threats and innuendo to force others to switch.

Like I said, just my humble opinion.

February 10, 2016 9:18:11 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting psychoak,

It's not really possible for an OS to not install.

I defer to your greater expertise, psycho.  But, just out of curiosity, couldn't firmware do the job of detecting the OS attempting to be installed & say 'nuh-uh-uh, nixnay'?

February 10, 2016 12:59:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

JMHO, not sure how recent that stats are but 10 has about a 12% market share while 7 is still above 50%. I'm thinking that even with the "free" upgrade that they may be disappointed with the results. They are now turning to threats and innuendo to force others to switch.

Like I said, just my humble opinion.

That's exactly it!  MS is not happy with the poor uptake to Win 10.  Despite its claims that Win 10 is on so many millions of machines, many of those copies were foisted on purchasers of new machines.... they did NOT install it by choice.  Another large number of copies is on OEM machines still sitting on store shelves around the world.... and the rest are on machines of those who sucked up the 'free' upgrade.  Had it a been pay for OS, I doubt very much the abomination would be on half as many of those PCs... if that.

As for the threats; intimidation; persistent upgrade attempts; innuendo and badly worded update/patch information, MS should be hauled over the coals by whatever Senate committee deals with that sort of thing.  Smaller companies would not get away with it, and neither should MS.  If I reject Win 10, not once but several times, MS should get the message and cease to pester me with related updates, patches and so-called important fixes.  Sadly it doesn't, with altered/reworded Win 10 related updates turning up again and again.

Had I not set my updates to manual installations, the bastards would have snuck it through already... and geez, then I'd have been mightily pissed and told MS where to shove all its products.

February 10, 2016 4:52:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting starkers,

And you're so confident MS isn't doing anything untoward!

Actually I am so confident in the fact that of all of the giant tech corps "doing things untoward" MS has been (and likely always will be) under the most intense scrutiny and that alone tends to deter any number of infractions (even if I were to indulge some of the tin-foulness in this thread) 

February 10, 2016 5:16:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

Quoting starkers,

And you're so confident MS isn't doing anything untoward!

Actually I am so confident in the fact that of all of the giant tech corps "doing things untoward" MS has been (and likely always will be) under the most intense scrutiny and that alone tends to deter any number of infractions (even if I were to indulge some of the tin-foulness in this thread) 

Here's a conspiracy for you...Cortana is just away to get people to use Bing. 

February 10, 2016 5:32:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starkers, Microsoft had revenue around 100 billion last year.  I'm pretty sure they're quite happy with sales of Windows 10.  They can pretty much take a shit on a disk and make money off it.

I defer to your greater expertise, psycho.  But, just out of curiosity, couldn't firmware do the job of detecting the OS attempting to be installed & say 'nuh-uh-uh, nixnay'?

You could do pretty much anything you wanted to with the firmware, but this would be Intel or AMD purposefully preventing customers from using Windows 7 on their hardware, and they can't retroactively break working systems because that would, once again, leave them completely screwed legally.  So at best, without being corn holed for billions, they can restrict future products from working with Windows 7, in which case they'd artificially restrict their own hardware market and lose billions in revenue.

February 10, 2016 8:14:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting psychoak,

They can pretty much take a shit on a disk and make money off it.

Priceless.

February 10, 2016 11:48:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have Windows 10 on my machine. I absolutely love it. 

February 11, 2016 12:23:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

So at best, without being corn holed for billions, they can restrict future products from working with Windows 7,

And that's the scenario suggested in the article I read.....  supposedly at the behest of MS to make modern hardware and 'modern' software more compatible, to eliminate older OSes for security reasons.

As to whether they artificially restrict their own markets, well I suppose that depends on how successful MS is in 'persuading' Win 7 holdouts to 'downgrade' to 10.  If the majority of Win 7 users are 'forced' to use Win 10 then there would be little to no real impact on sales.

Quoting kona0197,

I have Windows 10 on my machine. I absolutely love it. 

Now this does surprise me... kona actually loving a new OS.  Well there's a turn out for the books. 

February 11, 2016 5:49:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Now this does surprise me... kona actually loving a new OS.  Well there's a turn out for the books. 

There's hope for you yet....

February 11, 2016 7:19:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

I'm pretty sure they're quite happy with sales of Windows 10.

not trying to be a putz here but I didn't think they were selling it but giving it away, sales = $0.00?

February 11, 2016 8:42:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Quoting psychoak,

I'm pretty sure they're quite happy with sales of Windows 10.

not trying to be a putz here but I didn't think they were selling it but giving it away, sales = $0.00?

They are only giving it away to current users of Windows 7 and 8, and that offer only lasts until this Summer(ish). Anyone else, including those needing it for a new computer, would need to purchase it.

edit: *This coming Summer for the northern hemisphere! - This coming Winter for the southern hemisphere.

February 11, 2016 11:44:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers,

There's hope for you yet....

Nope!  None! 

And don't say I need my head read.  My last shrink is now himself an inmate at my last institution.  Yeah, I say "last" because I was deemed fit to be discharged.

I think it was more a case of wresting control of the asylum back from the lunatic. 

February 11, 2016 3:18:13 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

My issue with Windows 10 is that it requires the internet to be always on. I can't do that.

February 11, 2016 3:52:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What?  My laptop wasn't connected to the internet and worked just fine, not sure why you think it would have to be connected all the time.

February 11, 2016 5:55:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MacModder,

My issue with Windows 10 is that it requires the internet to be always on. I can't do that.

No, it doesn't.

No OS 'requires' it....

February 12, 2016 12:36:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Destrohelix,

Microsoft announced Intel's future processors Kaby Lake will not support Windows 7 and 8 only Windows 10.Wow! thats greedy MS.

Actually, that should be frightening.  How does a processor "support" an OS?  By putting an intentional hook in the firmware that only the OS can use, and refusing to boot with an OS that doesn't grok the hook. 

Intel and MS have been warning us for years that they will install a back door at the hardware level that allows primarily IP owners to vet an installation and the NSA or the equivalent to get into your system. All with the best intentions, of course.

Piracy aside, Hillary will seem prescient once "the gubbmint and industry too"* widely adopt the new kluge.  Even the Iranians ain't stupid.

* Gratuitous Frank Zappa rip.

February 15, 2016 5:00:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting starkers,

As far as I'm concerned, MS can go fech themselves. I will not go to Win 10....

Ditto. I'll run Win 7 until it drops dead.

same here.  direct x 12 can't be that vital... if game designers are smart.

February 15, 2016 7:22:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They could dump it entirely and stick to other platforms, but that's about it.  Even DX11 is horribly out of date for modern processing architecture.  It simply doesn't work for anything with unpredictable loading requirements.  Things like shooters and RPG's could limp along for quite a while without noticing it, but the mechanical limitations crippled strategy games years ago.

February 16, 2016 9:33:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

same here. direct x 12 can't be that vital... if game designers are smart.

If you take Frogboy's word for it, DX12 is completely vital. Do some searching, you will see quite a few posts and articles/interviews he has made about the subject.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: