The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

MICROSOFT STOLE MY 'SPECCY'

MS MAJOR UPDATE/PATCH KB3116900

By on January 4, 2016 10:22:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

mozler

Join Date 07/2001
+2

MICROSOFT STOLE MY SPECCY

Last night I started my machine out of hibernation to be presented with the log on screen, (normally it goes to my desktop), after logging on I had a pale blue screen and in large letters a message; ‘YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN UPDATED’, this was there for a few seconds before being replaced with ‘NONE OF YOUR FILES HAVE BEEN MOVED OR CHANGED, THEY ARE STILL IN THEIR ORIGINAL PLACE’ or words to that effect. My first thoughts were. Sh*t, I’ve been hijacked, especially when the your computer has been updated appeared again. Then a message appeared in the bottom right hand corner, ‘SOME OF YOUR PROGRAMS HAVE BEEN REMOVED, AS THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM’. Sh*t again, waiting for a ransom demand. This screen was there for several minutes before I hit off switch and rebooted.

Log on screen as normal, logged in, OK, then a message, Speccy has been removed as it is not compatible with your OS. I clicked on the icon, NO SPECCY, cannot be found, Sh*t. Went to control panel, programs, no speccy. At no time did I have a message about an MS update.

Did a full security scan, no malware or virus’s

Checked my build no, Windows 10, V1511. 10586.29. then checked updates, Security update KB3116900 03/01/16. I then checked online, apparently this is the P I A November update, many people have had similar problems with the update removing so called incompatible programs, after this review, I found that CC cleaner had also gone. How many more? Perhaps I will find out over the next few days.

One interesting point, when I installed Windows 10 at the end of July/early August I was one of those who installed window blinds and Iconpackager before the warnings. I removed WB after following the threads, but didn’t remove IP because of the many problems people had had when uninstalling. It is true to say that I have had no problems with IP, except that it does not alter the folder icons. The latest Windows 10 update reset all of my icons, but did not flag IP as incompatible, I have manually changed all of those icons which I could, each time W10 sent me to IP for the Icon. I will not use IP now to blanket change my icons as I do not want to risk it, I dread to think what might have happened if the update had tried to remove IP. Is Microsoft going to determine what programs are allowed on their OS in the future?

My main concern (apart from being Pi**ed off at losing my programs) is if MS can remove programs during an update, what stealthware can it install to spy on and monitor our files at the same time, will it start to remove non DRM items, like Amazon tried with the Kindle several years ago. Even more to worry about with MS, (apart from my wife who has MS, but that is another story).

Also glad to report that no problems with WB10 after the update.

126 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 5, 2016 1:11:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Sed,

I'm flat out afraid to upgrade from WIN 7 .... But I have some old art programs that I cannot RE-upload and I DON'T want to lose them.

All backed up tho if Windows does it without my OK....... I have WIN 10 on my laptop and there is a lot of things doing weird things..

Sed, you can upgrade to 10, then roll back to 7 easily. Once done, you can then do a clean install 10 as a dual boot on the same machine. Best of both worlds.

why can't you just do a clean install for the dual boot directly?

January 5, 2016 1:32:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cdexholm,

Windows 10 codename "North Korea".

Windows 7 was about fixing Vista. Windows 8 was about Metro apps. Windows 10 is about "how much can we get away with?". The more people that uses Windows 10 the worse it will get.

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks Win 10 is Beelzebub's bastard child... a monstrosity created among the fires of Hell by the 'horned one' and rented out to Microsoft so's users can sell their souls.  What?  Nobody suspected that is what the personal data collection is really all about?

January 5, 2016 3:02:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm with you Starkers, not only data collection but with their forced updates, bad updates which changes and delete programs on your computer. Just because Win 10 is free doesn't make it better.

January 5, 2016 3:38:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tinfoil hats, the devil and jokes aside, I think Windows 10 is a serious threat to the privacy/integrity of users (and developers). Microsoft did a pretty good job of keeping Windows open and non-intrusive for many years. Now they want to make Windows the iOS of the desktop. I felt for many years that Microsoft was better than Google and Apple. Now Microsoft has become the worst of the pack.

Forced updates, deleted apps, invasive data collection - not just telemetry, but scanning harddrives.
It could only be a matter of time before win32 devs will have to pay Microsoft to be whitelisted.
I think we all have a responsibility to oppose the direction Windows 10 is taking.
This is a hard nut to crack.
Xbox One tried to pull off always on Kinect. But thanks to Sony PS4 and angry gamers Microsoft had to change its mind.
In Europe a basic Apple laptop costs 1500 USD. Microsoft doesn't have any competition. They know that.
We must keep Windows 10 at bay. Use older versions of Windows and/or Linux. Windows 10 is open-ended and we can end up in a very bad place if we blindly follow this path.

Government, Intel, Adobe, Stardock... won't oppose Windows 10. We as users must do it. Just say NO!

January 5, 2016 3:55:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting cdexholm,

Forced updates, deleted apps, invasive data collection - not just telemetry, but scanning harddrives.

Windows 10 scans your hard drive and steals your data?

January 5, 2016 4:11:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

According to Eula, yes MS may scan your harddrive. And I am not talking about Windows Defender.

January 5, 2016 4:49:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please quote that portion of the EULA here...

January 5, 2016 5:05:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

Well, you can, if you have a spare Windows 7 or 8 key lying around. Or if you have bought Windows10. Otherwise, you must first upgrade said PC,(this registers your hardware with Windows10)  then you can roll back to your former OS and add Windows10 as a dual boot.

January 5, 2016 5:39:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All my files are in OneDrive. All my emails are in Outlook. Microsoft already owns my digital life. And still Windows 10 scares me, because Windows used to be one thing and now it is a completely different beast.

I do not know to what extent Windows 10 scans the drives. Maybe it doesn't and I am wrong about this. I remember reading something about it but now I cannot find it.

MS admitted Insider Preview had a keylogger. I mean keylogger, that is realtime surveillance. What kind of telemetry do you get from a keylogger?

It is more about uncertainty and the general feeling that MS has crossed all moral lines:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

My general feeling is that if Microsoft stated that we have right to access everything on your computer it wouldn't be a lot different from the current situation with Windows 10. I mean how many privacy settings did you find in Windows 7? In Windows 10 it is just ridiculous.

I am not saying Windows 7 didn't collect any data. But now it is on a whole other level. Windows has become "free" and you are the product. Who is the buyer of this product which is you. Advertisers, government, lobbyists? Only God knows. I don't want to be a product and deal with one hundred privacy settings that might not change anything in the end.

You can call this FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt), because that is precisely what this is about. Microsoft has done very little to enlighten and calm users. Instead the company has pushed Windows 10 in an aggressive manner.

January 5, 2016 5:56:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting alaknebs,

Well, you can, if you have a spare Windows 7 or 8 key lying around. Or if you have bought Windows10. Otherwise, you must first upgrade said PC,(this registers your hardware with Windows10)  then you can roll back to your former OS and add Windows10 as a dual boot.

why? if you clean install win10 directly with your existing win7 key... that's basically the same thing as upgrading (which uses the same key) + rolling back and then clean install win10, isn't it?

January 5, 2016 10:47:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For a dual boot, no. You can directly install windows 10 using your windows 7 key, but then the windows 7 will no longer be valid. So no dual boot.

In order to dual boot Windows 10 with an existing Windows 7 install without first upgrading, you must have either a second unused Windows 7 key, (or 8), or a Windows10 key that you purchased.

If you do as I said above, upgrade 7 to 10, then roll back, you can then install 10 as a dual boot. You do not need any key for this. You choose SKIP both times when asked, and upon install and reboot, Windows 10 will be activated and your Windows 7 will still be valid.

I have done this over 20 times, at least 10 times on my own machines.

January 5, 2016 10:49:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

why? if you clean install win10 directly with your existing win7 key... that's basically the same thing as upgrading (which uses the same key) + rolling back and then clean install win10, isn't it?

Yes, but you forgot about the dual boot. He loses Windows 7 doing it your way. Sed is afraid to upgrade to 10 because some of his programs need 7. So dual boot is the answer.

January 5, 2016 10:55:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cdexholm,

MS has crossed all moral lines:

I've been saying this since finding out about the spying and forced updates, etc... now the disabling/uninstalling 3rd party programs it doesn't like, and when a company ignores users choices and forces unsoloicited, underirable updates on them, it represents a serious breach of ethics and is deplorable.

I read the linked article and found it stops short at those data collection tools which can be disabled.  The was no mention of the data collection tools embedded in the core... those which CANNOT be disabled unless you render the entire machine useless.  However, I am glad the article did mention that if users disable data collection tools, MS will download, implement workarounds to continue its incessant grab for power and information.

Another thing wrong with the article is that it's sugar coated.  The wording is too polite and avoids actually condemning MS for its blatant privacy intrusions.  That may be to avoid being sued, but for mine, it lacks the necessary punch to make users sit up and take notice.

While it may be true, ha-ha, that MS isn't using users personal information [for now], it IS being collected ansd stored... and I'll bet my balls it ain't all about delivering a better product.  I mean, truly, how does an individuals personal information help deliver a better product?  What it does is arm MS and its partners with enough personal information to target users with 'specific' ads, and if you hate advertising, as many do, it detracts from the quality of the product [Win 10], rather than to enhance it.  The truth is, this data collection is about power and money, NOT users.

The Chinese have demanded and will get a data-collection-free version of Win 10, but Western users will not be afforded any such reprieve, concession.  No!!  We are a captive market, with few viable alternatives, and MS knows this, which is why it thinks it can get away with such privacy intrusions and will.  Sadly, not enough users will boycott Win 10, and not enough will uninstall it and revert to a prior version, so the privacy and other intrusions will continue... and get considerably worse as 10 is tweaked more to suit MS' agenda.

Nope, Win 10 is NOT for me.

January 6, 2016 2:52:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting alaknebs,

Yes, but you forgot about the dual boot. He loses Windows 7 doing it your way. Sed is afraid to upgrade to 10 because some of his programs need 7. So dual boot is the answer.

that's the bit that i don't understand. why would you lose dualboot? since you are clean installing win10 in both cases. when i say clean install win10, i don't mean kill the win7, i simply mean do the same thing as your clean install, but directly use the win7 key in the install proces.

unless you are talking about losing the win7 key eligibility for that machine? though surely if you roll back, logically you should be losing the win10 key. (regardless of whether it actually happens) in both cases, you have a win7 and a win10 installation both installed off the same win7 key, so i don't understand the difference, aside from whatever loophole/snafu/blindeye there is that makes the complicated way ok but not the direct way.

disclaimer.. i don't really know much about dual boot installations. just trying to understand it from a logical point of view. last time i had a dual boot was the one that came with os/2 warp and win3.1(3.11?).. and eh.. i think i only used the windows bit. i tend to just use virtualbox.

January 6, 2016 4:14:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cdexholm,

According to Eula, yes MS may scan your harddrive. And I am not talking about Windows Defender.

Quoting cdexholm,

I do not know to what extent Windows 10 scans the drives. Maybe it doesn't and I am wrong about this. I remember reading something about it but now I cannot find it.

This kind of claim should be checked before being posted.

Is MS unethical? Yes, to some extent. Is MS Darth Vader? No. It's kind of slimey in the way it does things.

You should also revise your claim about 

Quoting cdexholm,

that MS has crossed all moral lines:

You probably meant ethical lines...and not all of them have been crossed. Chill.

January 6, 2016 7:03:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

unless you are talking about losing the win7 key eligibility for that machine? though surely if you roll back, logically you should be losing the win10 key. (regardless of whether it actually happens) in both cases, you have a win7 and a win10 installation both installed off the same win7 key, so i don't understand the difference

It's really simple. If you clean install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 key to activate it, then the Windows 7 key is used and therefore can't be used to activate a second OS. Just as things have always been.

If you upgrade, then use the rollback feature, Windows 7 will remain activated as it was before the upgrade because Microsoft still sees it as a Windows 7 key.

When you upgrade to 10, 10 does not use the Windows 7 key, the upgrade replaces the Windows 7 key with a "digital entitlement key". Once this is done, the machine is registered with MS as a Windows 10 eligible machine with digital entitlement (a Microsoft term) and therefore will allow a clean install, on the same machine. Which is why you don't need to use ANY key when adding 10 back to the machine as a dual boot.

The difference boiling down to this. Once you activate a clean install of 10 with the 7 key, the 7 key is now a "used" key and will not activate another OS. Not a new idea.

January 6, 2016 8:04:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Windows 10 scans your hard drive and steals your data?

it's in the privacy statement:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

January 6, 2016 8:37:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No...says nothing of the sort. Cookies/Web beacons....but no hard drive scanning nor emails/conversations, etc.

The whole issue at question is just how granular the info collected is, and to what use it's being put.

No one but MS knows that. From there the road forks: One direction? Evil use! Pictures of your undies! Treason! Aluminum foil!

The other? Marketing crap, your ad profile, big data, research for more services to offer. 

You can do a lot to block a lot of that and at the same time sacrifice features of the OS. You can't block it all. Real world.

January 6, 2016 8:41:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

crazy! Everyone knows that third-party programs have been a HUGE positive for choosing Windows, imagine having to reinstall and reconfigure software, games, mods, etc after every update.. Aaaaargh! Nope. I think I will keep Windows 7 and maybe just get a new rig in 4/5 years, with new hardware, VR, etc.. ooh.. hopefully something exciting! I don't need Windows 10 now.. at least not until they conquer tha promising code of Super foil!   

January 6, 2016 8:56:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

but no hard drive scanning nor emails, etc.

The privacy statement is like 41 pages in length. I guess it may come down to how one interprets their statements. From my perspective it says they can collect whatever data they can and use it anyway they want.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. For example, if you receive an email using Outlook.com, we need to collect the content of that email in order to deliver it to your inbox, display it to you, enable you to reply to it, and store it for you until you choose to delete it. Examples of this data include: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive, as well as the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services such Outlook.com or Skype, including the:

and while you can opt out of many of these unwanted data gathering processes, it may be already too late as you have to install the OS first in order to opt out.

Quoting DrJBHL,

You can't block it all.

how true.

January 6, 2016 1:26:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Content. We collect content ...

I think you're reading too much into that.  Of course they would have to collect content for email and anything they store for you, it's the only way it can be stored for you to access it.  Any email service stores the content - that's why it's still there when a person logs in to check their email.  If they didn't collect the content for files sent to OneDrive, people would be uploading to vapor.

I wouldn't worry too much about that particular section.

January 6, 2016 3:10:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Quoting DrJBHL,

but no hard drive scanning nor emails, etc.

The privacy statement is like 41 pages in length. I guess it may come down to how one interprets their statements. From my perspective it says they can collect whatever data they can and use it anyway they want.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. For example, if you receive an email using Outlook.com, we need to collect the content of that email in order to deliver it to your inbox, display it to you, enable you to reply to it, and store it for you until you choose to delete it. Examples of this data include: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive, as well as the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services such Outlook.com or Skype, including the:

and while you can opt out of many of these unwanted data gathering processes, it may be already too late as you have to install the OS first in order to opt out.

Quoting DrJBHL,

You can't block it all.

how true.

Quoting DrJBHL,

The whole issue at question is just how granular the info collected is, and to what use it's being put.

No one but MS knows that. From there the road forks: One direction? Evil use! Pictures of your undies! Treason! Aluminum foil!

The other? Marketing crap, your ad profile, big data, research for more services to offer. 

January 6, 2016 3:11:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Nope, Win 10 is NOT for me.

I agree with you, starkers.

There are two sides to every issue. The practical side and the emotional side.
A company can install Windows 10 and make people do their work on this platform.
This forum is for people who LIKE Windows and when you realize you don't want to use Windows 10 it's a sad moment.

I felt I lost something and I don't think I am the only one who stares with disbelief at what happened to Windows. I like what Stardock does and I will probably keep my subscription as long as "old Windows" is around.

January 6, 2016 5:16:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting alaknebs,

unless you are talking about losing the win7 key eligibility for that machine? though surely if you roll back, logically you should be losing the win10 key. (regardless of whether it actually happens) in both cases, you have a win7 and a win10 installation both installed off the same win7 key, so i don't understand the difference

It's really simple. If you clean install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 key to activate it, then the Windows 7 key is used and therefore can't be used to activate a second OS. Just as things have always been.

If you upgrade, then use the rollback feature, Windows 7 will remain activated as it was before the upgrade because Microsoft still sees it as a Windows 7 key.

When you upgrade to 10, 10 does not use the Windows 7 key, the upgrade replaces the Windows 7 key with a "digital entitlement key". Once this is done, the machine is registered with MS as a Windows 10 eligible machine with digital entitlement (a Microsoft term) and therefore will allow a clean install, on the same machine. Which is why you don't need to use ANY key when adding 10 back to the machine as a dual boot.

The difference boiling down to this. Once you activate a clean install of 10 with the 7 key, the 7 key is now a "used" key and will not activate another OS. Not a new idea.

that just reads like some sort of practical loophole that ms turns a blind eye on (if dual boot derived from same key is disallowed). because there's no real difference between the 2, licensing wise. rolling back from win10 should mean you are giving up the win10 entitlement licensing wise, even if that doesn't happen in practice, not least because ms wants more people on win 10.

i clean installed win10 on my new machine with an old retail win7 key and under product id, it says the device is activated with a digital entitlement. i pretty sure i can legally transfer the retail win 7 license onto another machine if this one is scrapped, and then upgrade it to win10, or clean install win10 directly, because it's the same thing, until the freebie upgrade period is finished. after that, can still transfer win 7 onto another machine (might perhaps need to phone ms if done too many times?).

January 6, 2016 6:41:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveRI,

I wouldn't worry too much about that particular section.

I don't disagree with you and the process you describe is inherent for emails. I do think that we have some expectation of privacy but it seems that MS is changing the ball game by mining this data for whatever. I was only attempting to point out that the perceived perception of not mining your emails isn't true anymore. Along with all of the other privacy notifications that you can not expect.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: