The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Galactic Civilizations firsts

By on May 14, 2015 1:56:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478
  1. Galactic Civilizations OS/2 was the first commercial 32-bit game (1993)
  2. Was also the first commercial game to support >256 colors
  3. Was also the first commercial multithreaded game
  4. Is the longest-running actively developed space strategy game
  5. Is the top selling space 4X selling game of all time with >10 million total sales
  6. Galactic Civilizations I (Windows) (2003) was the first commercial game to be digitally distributed on the same day as retail
  7. Was also the first commercial game to support Intel hyper-threading
  8. First commercial game to have a multithreaded computer AI
  9. Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor is the highest rated (metacritic) space strategy game of all time
  10. Galactic Civilizations III is the first commercial 64-bit strategy game
  11. Is also the first commercial game to have a scaleable (more cores>faster) AI.
  12. Is also the first strategy game to support >100 players in a single game (CK2 supports >100)
  13. Is also the first game to support more than 250,000 tiles (over 400,000 tiles)

Cheers!

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 14, 2015 2:05:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Paradox would not agree with 12.

May 14, 2015 2:06:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,

Paradox would not agree with 12.

Which game had more than 100 AI players?

May 14, 2015 2:14:51 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

EU and HOI?

May 14, 2015 2:18:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The EU games have over 100 tags for nations that could be in any game.

May 14, 2015 2:26:51 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yes but they only support 32 actual playing players.

May 14, 2015 2:36:51 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Not true, Brad.  CK2 had every count in Europe as an individual player trying to succeed.  (More if you count the other nobles scheming or waiting for their liege to die) -- I don't remember how many could play in MP, but it was less.

May 14, 2015 3:37:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

10. Lies, lies and more lies.

Sword of the Stars II launched with 64-bit option (but was a buggy mess and was later removed)

Endless Legend is 64-bit

XCOM Linux version is 64-bit

13. OpenTTD supports 4096 x 4096 tile maps

May 14, 2015 8:55:56 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting MikusR,

10. Lies, lies and more lies.

Sword of the Stars II launched with 64-bit option (but was a buggy mess and was later removed)

Endless Legend is 64-bit

XCOM Linux version is 64-bit

Neither Sword of the Stars II or Endless Legend are 'native' 64-bit code (They do not require a 64-bit OS). XCOM Linux requires a 64-bit OS, but to the best of my knowledge it's simply a conversion of the 32-bit original.

May 15, 2015 2:23:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BigBadB,

Neither Sword of the Stars II or Endless Legend are 'native' 64-bit code (They do not require a 64-bit OS).

XCOM Linux requires a 64-bit OS, but to the best of my knowledge it's simply a conversion of the 32-bit original.

They do. they simply have both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Quoting BigBadB,

XCOM Linux requires a 64-bit OS, but to the best of my knowledge it's simply a conversion of the 32-bit original.

It's native 64-bit application. Won't run on 32 bit system.

May 15, 2015 4:32:16 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

It's native 64-bit application. Won't run on 32 bit system.

Making a 64 bit version of your 32 bit game designed around all the limitations of 32 bit, is not making a native 64 bit game.  It's an import job.  That a 64 bit executable wont run on 32 bit operating systems goes without saying.  It's like a console port versus a native pc game, the console port doesn't run on a console, but it's not a native pc game.  A native 64 bit game doesn't have a 32 bit version of the executable unless they specifically design a limited version of the game that lacks the features requiring 64 bit.

GC3 would have to be redesigned to work on 32 bit, unlike Endless Legends, which, from what I've heard, basically has a 64 bit executable because there weren't enough bugs in the 32 bit version.

May 16, 2015 12:55:23 PM from Servo Forums Servo Forums

Quoting TheRealWarpstorm,

Not true, Brad.  CK2 had every count in Europe as an individual player trying to succeed.  (More if you count the other nobles scheming or waiting for their liege to die) -- I don't remember how many could play in MP, but it was less.

I don't think that's really comparable. By that argument, we could have said that GalCiv OS/2 had > 100 players because you could have 100+ minor races who were players.

We're talking about actual players who are building their own full blown empires, research techs, building units, etc.

May 16, 2015 12:57:25 PM from Servo Forums Servo Forums

Quoting MikusR,

Retargeting your Unity game to compile as 64-bit doesn't make it a native 64-bit game.  This isn't a knock at Unity or against making games that support 64-bit. But from both an effort and scope point of view, they are completely different animals.

May 16, 2015 1:59:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I don't think that's really comparable. By that argument, we could have said that GalCiv OS/2 had > 100 players because you could have 100+ minor races who were players.

We're talking about actual players who are building their own full blown empires, research techs, building units, etc.

Have you ever played Paradox games?  Every nation can and will expand just like the player.There is no minor race.

May 17, 2015 8:52:16 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Play CK2.  Like I said, EVERY count in Europe (the latest expansions extend that well into Africa and India) is trying to win the game.  They are all conducting diplomacy, tech, building armies, going to war, and most importantly trying to sire heirs and generally move their family up the ranks from count to duke to king to emperor (this is the Euro-view if you play as a different culture things are slightly different).  It is true that there won't be as many full blown kings or emperor as counts, but every count is looking for his opportunity to back stab his liege and take over the empire and you can conduct diplomacy with all of them.

May 17, 2015 5:58:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, there's no distinction in CK2 between minor characters and major ones, they're all playing the same game by the same rules.  That little twerp with 1 holding in some remote part of the map is still conducting diplomacy, scheming for power. building improvements, raising armies, etc. and he can grow to rule all of Europe.

Same goes for EU.  There are no minor nations, just nations with less territory than others.  They all play by the same rules, and can grow just as big as anyone else, it's just their starting holdings that are different.

May 17, 2015 9:38:16 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I've taken that assertion out since as you guys point out, it's not like there is a qualifier on the concept of what constitutes a player.  I'm familiar with CK and EU.  I should have put a qualifier on it regarding what is involved in being that player.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time: