The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How do you tell the difference between a genuinely depressed person and a sympathy troll?

By on April 30, 2015 8:26:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Borg999

Join Date 02/2006
+53

There is a women on another forum who joined the career advice thread and asked for help in finding a job. A number of people have given her advice, but she keeps on rebuffing them with "I have no skills" "I'm a failure" "I can't do anything right", etc, etc.

I've started to ignore her, but other people continue to try to help her, and I get this feeling she's just leading them on. At this point, she's almost hijacked the thread.

So, how can I tell if this person just needs a lot of help, or is getting off on all this attention?

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 30, 2015 8:43:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can't...the 'symptoms' are identical.

What you do is give them one chance then ignore.

If you're in a position to administer the forum AND you're concerned others may be adversely affected through the interaction you remove the person.

April 30, 2015 9:32:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's also not your job to diagnose her. 

She might not be depressed. She might be an emotional manupulatrix, or a con artist.

Steer clear. 

May 1, 2015 3:48:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

It's also not your job to diagnose her. 

The person to diagnose her is obviously a doctor, and perhaps that is the advice she should be given... under the premise she get a health check prior to returning to the workforce.  With a bit of luck the doctor will recognise it should she be really depressed and treat her appropriately.

As for she might be this and she might be that, it is too difficult to know one way or another over a forum, and clinical depression/bi-polar is not something to ignore or be trifled with... hence the advice she consults a health professional. 

Now you obviously already know this, Doc, but my input was more a general thing to help Borg999 and others who may be confronted with similar situations and are unsure of how to react.

The reason I felt it imporatant to say something is because I've suffered with clinical depression for a number of years, and in retrospect, for many more years prior to being diagnosed.  In fact, it was somebody's advice that prompted me to see my doctor, and I'll be forever grateful for it.  Being properly diagnosed probably saved my life, and why I suggest treading with caution regarding the mental state of another.

May 1, 2015 7:10:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks guys, i appreciate your help!

I know it's not my job to diagnose her, I just don't want to kick someone when they're down.

Quoting Jafo,

If you're in a position to administer the forum AND you're concerned others may be adversely affected through the interaction you remove the person.

Yea, your right Jafo, that's key. I'll wait until other people complain.

May 1, 2015 9:14:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might also (if you're in a position of responsibility/authority there) pm the person framing your concerns and suggesting the appropriate help...if for only legal and humanitarian considerations.

May 1, 2015 9:33:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

I know it's not my job to diagnose her, I just don't want to kick someone when they're down.
'

That's they key, not making matters worse for somebody who may not be coping so well.  Now I obviously do not know this person's circumstances, but it sure sounds like she needs help, in one way or another.  Now she may not even know she is depressed [I didn't until a friend suggested I seek help], and maybe it's not so easy to do over a forum, but if you could somehow point her in the right direction to seek help, then you have done what you can to help her,.

May 1, 2015 11:27:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I struggle with depression and sought treatment for it (much better now, thanks).  In my personal experience, depressed folks don't seek out help regularly.  You won't see me generally going on about depression anywhere and simply, eventually, made a decision to get myself sorted.  To be really blunt... I've known many people that seek attention.  I don't think I've met any people that are depressed that are constantly seeking out help.  

If I was a mod on that forum, I'd pm the person and try to curtail them a bit.  If they continue, I'd cut them off.  If people don't want to listen to advice, its a waste of time.  GL! 

May 2, 2015 12:46:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting pacov,

I struggle with depression and sought treatment for it (much better now, thanks).  In my personal experience, depressed folks don't seek out help regularly.  You won't see me generally going on about depression anywhere and simply, eventually, made a decision to get myself sorted.  To be really blunt... I've known many people that seek attention.  I don't think I've met any people that are depressed that are constantly seeking out help.  

If I was a mod on that forum, I'd pm the person and try to curtail them a bit.  If they continue, I'd cut them off.  If people don't want to listen to advice, its a waste of time.  GL! 

What he said...

May 2, 2015 6:03:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting pacov,

If people don't want to listen to advice, its a waste of time.

Indeed, pacov. Glad you got it sorted.

Perhaps people will come to realize that depression is another lapse in health and not stigmatize it and other central nervous system problems.

I find it fascinating that while people can lionize a Hawkings, they stigmatize people with depression...after all, we're talking about the same organ and its dysfunction/illness.

Perhaps it's because people are taught to respect that which they don't understand, while mimicking the misguided.

May 3, 2015 9:57:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have lifelong chronic depression and anxiety.  It takes a great deal of intentional efforts to manage it well.  The prescriptions various MD/Shrinks have offered down through the years do alleviate the intense feeling of needing to cry - all the time.  However, all the prescriptions also have the same side affect: they kill of my creativity and mellow me to the point that I don't do anything - and lose self direction.  My point in sharing this in this thread is to affirm what others have also wrote.  The subject the thread maker is asking about should be aware that the motivations of the person in question are not the issue.  The person's behavior is.  Depressed, or a con, trouble wanker, or needy soul - doesn't matter.  Their behavior on the site/forums in question is the only germane issue.  Address their public forum behavior.  Attempting to address anything else is merely dancing with speculation. IMHO.

May 4, 2015 3:10:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

I have lifelong chronic depression and anxiety.  It takes a great deal of intentional efforts to manage it well.  The prescriptions various MD/Shrinks have offered down through the years do alleviate the intense feeling of needing to cry - all the time.  However, all the prescriptions also have the same side affect: they kill of my creativity and mellow me to the point that I don't do anything - and lose self direction.  My point in sharing this in this thread is to affirm what others have also wrote.  The subject the thread maker is asking about should be aware that the motivations of the person in question are not the issue.  The person's behavior is.  Depressed, or a con, trouble wanker, or needy soul - doesn't matter.  Their behavior on the site/forums in question is the only germane issue.  Address their public forum behavior.  Attempting to address anything else is merely dancing with speculation. IMHO.

Very well said, Elana, very well said.  Since taking the various meds to help with depression I have been better able to manage it, but at the same time I find creativity and self-motivation more difficult, thus creating a negativity that at times I am unable to see beyond.  Sometimes it's as though I'm existing but not truly living, and to move past that I seek positive influences in the funny and comedic... sharing in a joke or 3. 

Sadly, some people are unable to do this so reach out in different ways, such as on forums, where anonimity is their only form of defence.  Nobody knows who they really are and they can just up and leave if they don't like the tone of what's being said.  Another sad fact, as electronic media makes like more impersonal these days, is how much easier it is to kick a troubled person to the kerb than care... how much easier it is to dismiss them because the alternative is too much trouble.

As for the woman Borg999 is speaking of, she is obviously troubled, and her anonimity prevents knowing exactly what her issue[s] are, which is why her public forum behaviour needs to be addressed by a PM or email, away from negative input, etc.  This is also where pointers can be used to help the woman help herself, such as with health professionals and self-help groups, etc.  Now this is not taking responsibility for her or her circumstances, but responding to a cry for help and offerring a caring spark of hope that gives her the confidence to rise above it all.

Sometimes that's all it takes.... a few kind words offerring hope.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: