The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Moving from Windows to MAC OSX

By on April 5, 2015 9:49:40 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

alphaprior

Join Date 02/2006
+5

Being dissapointed from Windows 8 and upcoming 10 (9 actually) their new ways and interface I decided to abandon Windows after 19years and go to much better but also very expensive iMac with OSX.

I do have some questions though for users who have Macs and they can englighten me before I buy an iMac.

Windows is the most widely used OS hence almost everything out there is designed and made for them. I know I can install windows in my iMac but want to know if there are enough apps and games that are native to OSX.  Surely Photoshop is, What about games like GC3 and other strategy games I play like Civilization etc. most on Steam.

So:

1. Compatibility: Apps for daily use like uTorrent, Games, Steam, Google Earth. GC3 of course..

2. Cost of use. How much it costs to have a mac after you buy it? In Windows I spent almost nothing except power and buying some games and Kaspersky Internet Security.

3. Security. Using a mac means I don't have to worry about security am I covered or I still need some extra security software?

4. Customization. I don't like white and bright interfaces and dislike white in general from phones to cars. Is there customization for OSX? Do I have the same freedom as I do in windows changing icons, colours etc?

5. CPU and RAM and OSX. Having an almost 3yr old computer with an Intel 2600k and 16GB RAM I'm very satisfied only playing GC3 with Insane sized map it becomes slow sometimes so much I have to reboot. OSX is lighter compared to windows? 3.5Ghz CPU / 16GB RAM would be enough to run a heavy app or game smoothly?

6. Storage: I will choose a flash drive 256GB as option and buy an external drive for my files around 4GB or bigger. What's the fastest interface and best option for external drive?

You are welcome to give me any tips I haven't think about. Not interested for hackintosh..

60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 7, 2015 4:59:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

With the above time for my iPad to go so I can do what I want not what Apple want me to do ???? 

April 7, 2015 6:16:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

4. Mac offers some customization as well things like candybar but you would know that if there was some real Interest.

Thats as far as it goes and Candybar is unsupported by Panic because Apple has really locked down the UI.

http://www.panic.com/blog/candybar-mountain-lion-and-beyond/

So who knows what it messes up with 10.9 and 10.10 if one tries to use it.

Customization is pretty much dead for OS X. Even the places like MacThemes.net is gone because whats changed from Lion onwards. It mostly became an iPhone customization site before it vanished.

April 7, 2015 6:45:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alphaprior,

heh! I know about Mac Pro sure it would be great to have one but it's way more expensive
as you said, sleek, powerful, upgrade potential but..
I'm not rich... and I don't need it anyway

sure it would be cool to have a long desk with a High End PC, a Mac pro, a Macbook Pro etc etc...  

I'm not rich, either, but if I really want something badly enough, then I set my mind to it and save like crazy until I can afford it..... I will NOT get things on credit.

I have built two high end PCs over the last couple of years by eliminating whatever costs and unnecessary spending I could, by saving as much as I could and looking out for bargains and specials on the items I needed.  Of course it helps when you don't run a car, smoke, eat out or blow money gambling or other such stupid things,  I look after my shoes and clothing, so I haven't had to buy any in years... and I eat cheaply but well  Put bluntly, I save hundreds upon hundreds per year by being a tight ass, and with those savings I get things I want.

So yeah, you could have a Mac Pro if you set a goal and put your mind to it.

April 7, 2015 8:46:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Strangely the Op is posting on Stardock's forums - the company who provides the solution to the silliness of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 about a need to go to OSX because of that same silliness.

It's actually so close to trolling that my trigger finger got twitchy.

April 8, 2015 6:56:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

April 8, 2015 7:30:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting starkers,

Quoting alphaprior,

heh! I know about Mac Pro sure it would be great to have one but it's way more expensive
as you said, sleek, powerful, upgrade potential but..
I'm not rich... and I don't need it anyway

sure it would be cool to have a long desk with a High End PC, a Mac pro, a Macbook Pro etc etc...  

I'm not rich, either, but if I really want something badly enough, then I set my mind to it and save like crazy until I can afford it..... I will NOT get things on credit.

I have built two high end PCs over the last couple of years by eliminating whatever costs and unnecessary spending I could, by saving as much as I could and looking out for bargains and specials on the items I needed.  Of course it helps when you don't run a car, smoke, eat out or blow money gambling or other such stupid things,  I look after my shoes and clothing, so I haven't had to buy any in years... and I eat cheaply but well  Put bluntly, I save hundreds upon hundreds per year by being a tight ass, and with those savings I get things I want.

So yeah, you could have a Mac Pro if you set a goal and put your mind to it.

Same here, no car, no smoking etc. But there are other things that have priority right now so.. maybe in the next 3-4 years I'll get a high end PC next to a Mac etc.

April 8, 2015 5:48:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Being that pennies have been mentioned as a potential hurdle - not being available in abundance, that is - I made a tentative enquiry yesterday about a Mac Mini and its costs, etc... you know, as a more economical way to switch over to OS=X.  The low-end one with 1.4ghz and 4 gigs of RAM was $620 AUD, which didn't seem too bad for a functioning PC, but then I was flabbergasted with what the salesman said next.

Firstly he asked what keyboard and mouse I had, plus optical drive.  When I said my keyboard and mouse were a Logitech wireless combo and my portable opticl drive was Samsung, he then told me that those wouldn't work with the Mac Mini, that I'd have to purchase the Apple ones at $120 AUD a piece... like WTF!!!!!! 

I thought the idea was to make the Mac/OS-X more accessible to the masses, but if you can't use your existing peripherals then it pretty much defeats the purpose, especially at those prices.  I mean, who's going to buy a standard, nothing special keyboard and mouse @ $240 AUD?  Not I, that's for sure.

Now I'm not too sure of this because I haven't researched it as yet, but I understood that the Mac Mini was designed to allow usage of your existing peripherals, be they wired, wireless or Bluetooth, though not according to this saleman.  Now I don't kmow whether he was telling the truth or just trying to sell me another 360 bucks worth of Apple products.  I intend to find out when I've woken up properly, but if true, then Apple and JB Hi-Fi lost a 'potential' sale yesterday.... had I been in there to buy.a Mac Mini.  For the $980 to purchase the necessary parts to be functional/up and running, I could build a much more powerful Windows machine and use it with existing hardware.

Anyway, I will research the peripherals thing and get back, but I thought it was interesting, being the discussion is about Apple/Mac products.

April 8, 2015 8:59:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, so I did some looking around anf there are dozens upon dozens of mice, keyboards and combos for OS-X.  Pretty much any wired units are plug and play, but many manufacturers have OS-S drivers for wireless and Bluetooth devices.

If my current Logitech combo didn't work I could pick up either a Logitech or MS combo for under 50 bucks.  As for an optical drive, I have a Samsung portable that is OS-X compatible

In essence, then, the salesman in JB Hi-Fi yesterday either had no idea what he was talking about or he was hoping I'd be sucked in and spend the extra $360.

Anyway, alphaprior, a Mac Mini would be the most economical way for you to to run OS-X, and the best thing about it would be that you could still run Windows on your current PC for gaming, without having to run additional software in OS-X

In fact I'm almost tempted to grab one myself... would be a great way to get in on the ground floor to learn OS-X... I did say ALMOST, though.

April 8, 2015 9:02:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like bollocks - I can attach USB keyboards and mice, bluetooth and "wireless through USB dongle"  to my macbook - I always use external mice on laptops and I much prefer a proper mouse (two proper buttons) than the stupid Mac ones.

mac-mini is useful if you want to do some development for macs but don't want to shell out megabucks, just beware that new versions of xcode usually require new OS and new OS will sometimes require new hardware - thanks apple

April 8, 2015 9:53:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ChungasRevenge,

Sounds like bollocks - I can attach USB keyboards and mice, bluetooth and "wireless through USB dongle"  to my macbook - I always use external mice on laptops and I much prefer a proper mouse (two proper buttons) than the stupid Mac ones.

mac-mini is useful if you want to do some development for macs but don't want to shell out megabucks, just beware that new versions of xcode usually require new OS and new OS will sometimes require new hardware - thanks apple

Yeah, me thinks the sales rep was full of shit and planned to con me for $360 or more... and then I discovered an Apple mouse elsewhere for 59, half what he thought he could charge me

The one I looked at has Yosemite on it, as do the other 2 versions... however, I just found  the 2.6 ghz/8gb  version on sale for $770 AUD, down from the $869 JB Hi-Fi was asking... alternatively the 1.4/3gb version is $550, down from $619. 

Or one could go to Officeworks and enforce the the beat it by 5% policy.

April 9, 2015 12:02:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have to jump in. I use a mac book air for my job so it is not really mine. If I had to buy my own laptop that's what I would buy. Running Yosemite. IT IS FANTASTIC. It boots up in seconds. It has what they call flash storage. It is incredibly light. I can run it on the battery all day. This is in a newspaper production environment. Using classified pagination. Indesign, photoshop. It kicks ass. Almost everything you can think of to do with it is easy. I have to admit that I love it. I have always favored PC's and because you can customize a PC better I still prefer my cheap win7 PC but I gotta admit the mac book air is a better computer. That's pretty much right out of the box.

April 9, 2015 12:18:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Chasbo,

lmost everything you can think of to do with it is easy

Almost Everything is right... was just reading about Yosemite in the Mac Mini and it's not touchscreen optimised, which sort of makes it a bit redundant for my current setup.  However, should the temptation get the better of me, I have another setup that a Mac Mini would fit into quite well.

We'll see... gotta go there [where the special is] to pick up a new chair this afternoon, and I might just weaken enough to come home with one.... maybe,

April 9, 2015 7:37:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Almost everything you can think of to do with it is easy."  

Oh really? Just like that huh? Well let me post a little link down below to show you a compare in specs. 
It may be ok to write and do some strokes in Photoshop with it, but other than that it does not even remotely get close to a laptop/notebook that are not branded Apple.
Blowing some hot Macbook Air – it’s only hot Air.
If you had any good words for the brand back in 2000 I would have nodded my head and said yeah you are right in some points, even if you did in 2009. With some tolerance I would´ve believed, that the guy doing it still had faith in the company, while meanwhile it is just stupid.
Mainly because the whole brand became a rip-off...
Not saying that “whatever has fallen far from the apple tree into the market is better” if you take a look at the production fees, but in general apple just overshoots its competitors by miles. 

Link

Now why do i write such mean things about apple, i had them at my old job aswell and i used it yes i did work with the crap.
We also still have them at university, i see people run around with Istuff all the time.

I say let them buy it, let them feel "cool and hip", let them have those short seconds of attention.
It has a benefit for us who love/reject apple products, it becomes easier for us to spot some raro stultus populus  from 20-10 meter range.

April 9, 2015 7:53:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

I say let them buy it, let them feel "cool and hip", let them have those short seconds of attention.

It wouldn't be about that for older/more mature users I'm sure.  For example, if I bought a Mac anything, I doubt that it'd leave home for anyone to see.  Nah, I'm too old to be bothered with showing off/about what people think... so much so that I'll often go to the shops in my tatty old slippers and not bat an eye if people stare because of it.

As for the Windows vs Macpower issue, I've been looking at various Mac models and there are some with quite decent specs, and like Windows machines, the higher end ones will obviously peform better... it just depends on one's needs and how much one is willing to spend.

Anyway, peoples, I went out yesterday and did a little more Mac research instore.  I won't tell you's what I ended up deciding, whether I came home with a Mac product or not, you's 'll have to guess.

Let's just say that I came home with a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye.

April 20, 2015 7:24:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, so the smile on my face and the twinkle in my eye is still there... but not for the same reason.  Yeah, I went back to the store and did something I swore I'd never, ever do  Yup, I'm a back-pedalling hypo-critter and I purchased an Apple product... a 1.4ghz, 4Gb RAM model of the Mac Mini with the Yosemite OS preloaded.

I settled for the low-end model because it better suited my finances and will most likely suit my needs,  If I want/need to do any resource intensive work I always have my big beasty, though the Mac Mini hasn't buckled thus far with a few video conversions, etc.

I'm still finding my way around, but my first impressions....

Firstly, it is somewhat bland after Windows and being spoilt with Stardock apps to dress things up. Having the 'taskbar' at the top of the screen is different... and NO start menu, either.  Yeah, that takes a bit to get accustomed to, but after a while it's not so bad.  The dock at the bottom is not a lot different to having ObjectDock or Winstep's Workshelf, other than it comes default with the OS and is preloaded with shortcuts to the most used/most popular apps.  Overall, the UI is okay.  Not spectacular but still quite usable just the same.

One thing that did surprise me is the amount of included programs/apps... inclusions the EU would have fined Microsoft quite heavily for.  In essense, I can pretty much do all I want/need right out of the box, what with all the built-in media tools, emil client and other internet tools..  What wasn't included was found in the Apple Store and downloaded easily, though I found a few handy items at majorgeeks in their Mac section.  Now while many programs and apps are pay for, there is a number of freeware alternatives available for the budget conscious.

While my Mac experience has been positive for the large part, there has been a couple of [thus far] unresolved issues that have been negatives.  The first is that I cannot connect to the internet via wi-fi, whereas I can with all my Windows machines from the same location.  It may be that the signal is weak because the internet here isn't being received at full speed, and the Windows network adapters are more efficient, but I cannot set the default network and lock it in. 

The other snag was that I had issues connecting the Mac to my LG monitor via HDMI while my main PC was connected via DVI.  For some reason the monitor wasn't recognising the Mac until I removed the DVI connection.  After that the Mac came up first time every time via HDMI.  Anyway, I bought a DVI-HDMI adapter today that should remedy that situation... with the Mac then going to DVI and the Windows machine going directly to HDMI, which poses no problem.

Overall?  I don't mind it, but there's no way I'm switching from Windows to go OS-X exclusively.  It'd be a cold day in Hell before that happened.

April 20, 2015 7:42:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very well said starkers.

The damn thing works right from the git go.

In my perfect world I would like to have both PC and Mac. 

April 20, 2015 8:01:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Chasbo,

Very well said starkers.

The damn thing works right from the git go.

In my perfect world I would like to have both PC and Mac. 

Well I now have both Mac and PC, though I'm currently spending more time on my Windows machine.  However, that would be due to familiarity and being accustomed to where everything is and how it works.  Having said that, I am enjoying using the Mac and I'm sure my usage will increase as I become more familiar and competent with it.

A little later today [when I'm more awake and alert... over the morning vertigo] I will look at installing Windows 10 on the Mac Mini using Boot Camp, which also comes pre-loaded. for convenience.  There is a program called Crossover which installs Windows and allows it to be launched from the dock without rebooting, which I may look into if my experience with Boot Camp isn't overly pleasing... though at 60 bucks it may have to wait some time before my budget allowed its purchase.  A trial version is available for download, however, so that's an option to test its suitability.

Another thing that impresses me about the Mac Mini is its design and manufactured quailty, the case being carved from a single block of aluminium... the fact it's so compact and takes up such little room on my desk.  I've seen compact PCs from ASUS and others, but their quality and design didn't impress me that much... not counting the fact I didn't need another Windows machine anyhow.

Oh shit!!!!!  I'm beginning to sound like a Mac/Apple fanboi.  

Yeah, just wait a bit and I'll be back..  Gotta go rinse my mouth out and scrub my typing finger.

April 21, 2015 3:34:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The Rubicon has truly been crossed, starkers.

April 21, 2015 3:41:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The Mac Mini was my first desktop Mac, and this was when they were a lot bigger in size. Regardless, it was still small and a great machine.

April 21, 2015 4:37:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Oh well... I'm surprised to see my thread still going and it seems like a little war over PC vs Mac.  

To PC fans I say that I decided to stay on PC for now but will stuck in Windows 7. I plan to buy a new PC this year that I will keep for 3 years hopefully more since every new PC lasts longer than older ones since technology improves and don't need to upgrade.

As for Mac it's still in my mind, maybe in the near future. Thinking about iMac 27" 5k which is not so expensive (2800€) considering the 5k monitor when Dell's 5k costs more than 1800€ just the monitor.. so you pay another 1000 for iMac.
What troubles me is the fact that iMac is also the monitor means when it's old I'll have to pay again for another iMac with monitor.

For my next PC system I estimate around 1800-2000€ no monitor/PSU/Case since I have those already.

So PC is more expensive but also much more powerful.

For the moment I'm waiting for more motherboards with USB 3.1, (type C also looks nice and tiny) and better prices than ASUS!
An M.2 Samsung drive with 1200MB/s read/write speeds.

As for CPU thinking i7 5820k but on the other hand i7 5930k offers 40lanes and greater capabilities to motherboard although don't think I need it since I will have only 1 Graphic Card.

so PC for now and iMac on hold.. 

April 21, 2015 9:50:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I'm back... but only after I washed my mouth out with soap and water and scrubbed my typing finger. 

Hopefully that's enough to stop me turning into a fanboi.

However, it won't stop me being pleased with my Mac purchase.

While it will never replace my Windows machines, the Mac Mini will be an intergal part of my computing life from here on.... because, I will admit, I do like using OS-X and find it easier to use than I first thought.  I'm still finding my way around, but it is an enjoyable experience, rather than a frustrating one.  I do, however, have my years of using Windows to thank for that.  Had I gone into OS-X without that computer experience I expect that I'd be frustrated and cussing every time something didn't work the way I thought it should.

Quoting Daiwa,

The Rubicon has truly been crossed, starkers.

Hehe, yeah... and the rowboat sprung a leak so there's no crossing back.   Thing is, it does not change my opinion of Apple.  I still think they're slimy and greedy, not to mention being tax cheats and corporate thugs.  However, my purchase wasn't to support Apple.  Rather it was to expand my own experience and learn new things.

Quoting Island Dog,

The Mac Mini was my first desktop Mac, and this was when they were a lot bigger in size. Regardless, it was still small and a great machine.

Yes, it is a great way to experience the Mac OS without having to spend a fortune.  And the compact size, well that is fantastic. A whole computer in a tiny case that sit unobtrusively and out of the way on my desk, yet is still cleary visible and easy to access if I need to add a new USB cable, etc.

Quoting alphaprior,

What troubles me is the fact that iMac is also the monitor means when it's old I'll have to pay again for another iMac with monitor.

That is the big drawback with all-in-ones... one part goes bust and isn't repairable, you have to replace them all.  That's why I've never been fond of all-in-one units of anything.  Whenever I buy hi-fi/stereo equipment, I always prefer the separate components rather than those units with everything combined.... it's the same with TVs.  I'd not consider a TV with a DVD/Bluray player built in... more can go wrong with it... and if one goes bung I'm without both.

Anyway, back to the Macs!  I see that you're building another Windows machine and plan to stick with Win 7, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you could still experience OS-X in the same way as I have, with a Mac Mini.  The 1.4ghz model wouldn't set you back that much and you could satisfy your desire to be running a Mac a lot sooner than having to save up thousands for an iMac that, as you said, is all-in-one and possibly a liability if the screen died, etc. Believe me, the Mac Mini is quite a capable machine... you just connect your own monitor and peripherals, thus saving a fortune on a complete setup.

Anyway, I felt myself getting a bit carried away there, so I'm off to wash my mouth out again.

April 21, 2015 9:56:59 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting starkers,

Thing is, it does not change my opinion of Apple. I still think they're slimy and greedy, not to mention being tax cheats and corporate thugs. However, my purchase wasn't to support Apple. Rather it was to expand my own experience and learn new things.

Ah...the sheer strength of one's convictions....

.... Papier-mâché ...

April 21, 2015 11:52:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers,

Thing is, it does not change my opinion of Apple. I still think they're slimy and greedy, not to mention being tax cheats and corporate thugs. However, my purchase wasn't to support Apple. Rather it was to expand my own experience and learn new things.

Ah...the sheer strength of one's convictions....

.... Papier-mâché ...

Hehe, so I buckled under curiosity and bought a Mac.  Big Deal! So What!  Leave me alone, get off my back, ride somebody else's boo-boo to the papier mache factory.

Besides, it's not like I spent bucketloads to help fill Apple's coffers.  I went about it in the cheapest way I could, and even then Apple was the farthest thing from my mind.  After seeing a demonstration and being given a test run, being impressed with what I'd done, only my wants, need and desires were considered during the sale/transaction.  Had supporting Apple entered my mind during the process I'd have walked out empty handed.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with my decision and purchase, and I'm enjoying the experience of both sides of the fence.  And just as importantly, Apple will not see another cent of my money... my 1st Mac purchase is my last.  And just cos it'll sync with iPhone, iPad, etc... it ain't happening. I got my Windows phone and tablet, and that's it, no more portable devices required.

So, in conclusion, Apple is still rotten to the core, and to show its true nature, the logo should have a half eaten worm coming out of where the 'bite' is.

April 22, 2015 12:23:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

So, in conclusion, Apple is still rotten to the core

Funny. Microsoft is just as corrupt and rotten as well. 

April 22, 2015 3:13:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Quoting starkers,

So, in conclusion, Apple is still rotten to the core

Funny. Microsoft is just as corrupt and rotten as well. 

I don't care !  I sorta tolerate MS, whereas I can't stand Apple... in my opinion/experience, Apple is the Evil Empire, corporation-wise.  But I didn't purchase a Mac Mini to suck up to Apple, it was 100% for me and my wants/needs. 

And so we're clear, I don't like or trust Microsoft anymore than I like Apple because I happen to like Windows 8/8.1.    I only hate some corporations more than I hate others.  I neither like or trust any of them.. none have ever earned my trust OR respect.... with one exception... Stardock, which hasn't gotten too big for its boots and forgotten about its customers.  If/when that happens, I'll add it to my list of fech off companies... but in the meantime it's all good.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: