The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Moving from Windows to MAC OSX

By on April 5, 2015 9:49:40 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

alphaprior

Join Date 02/2006
+5

Being dissapointed from Windows 8 and upcoming 10 (9 actually) their new ways and interface I decided to abandon Windows after 19years and go to much better but also very expensive iMac with OSX.

I do have some questions though for users who have Macs and they can englighten me before I buy an iMac.

Windows is the most widely used OS hence almost everything out there is designed and made for them. I know I can install windows in my iMac but want to know if there are enough apps and games that are native to OSX.  Surely Photoshop is, What about games like GC3 and other strategy games I play like Civilization etc. most on Steam.

So:

1. Compatibility: Apps for daily use like uTorrent, Games, Steam, Google Earth. GC3 of course..

2. Cost of use. How much it costs to have a mac after you buy it? In Windows I spent almost nothing except power and buying some games and Kaspersky Internet Security.

3. Security. Using a mac means I don't have to worry about security am I covered or I still need some extra security software?

4. Customization. I don't like white and bright interfaces and dislike white in general from phones to cars. Is there customization for OSX? Do I have the same freedom as I do in windows changing icons, colours etc?

5. CPU and RAM and OSX. Having an almost 3yr old computer with an Intel 2600k and 16GB RAM I'm very satisfied only playing GC3 with Insane sized map it becomes slow sometimes so much I have to reboot. OSX is lighter compared to windows? 3.5Ghz CPU / 16GB RAM would be enough to run a heavy app or game smoothly?

6. Storage: I will choose a flash drive 256GB as option and buy an external drive for my files around 4GB or bigger. What's the fastest interface and best option for external drive?

You are welcome to give me any tips I haven't think about. Not interested for hackintosh..

60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 5, 2015 10:08:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

3. Security. Using a mac means I don't have to worry about security am I covered or I still need some extra security software?

Just answering that one....no...security is still an issue.

As for Win 8 and its successors ..... Stardock already has that covered re the crap interface/GUI.  They [Stardock] do more than 'just' games.  Take a closer look...

April 5, 2015 10:15:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't use OSX or iOS...but "I don't have to worry about security" is iWrong: Macs are vulnerable as is Windows, or anything which uses code.

http://www.securemac.com/10-MacOSX-MountainLion-Security-Tips.php

http://www.securemac.com/macosxsecurity.php

http://osxdaily.com/tag/security/

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/more-on-osxcrisis-advanced-spy-tool/

https://suite.io/clayton-worbeck/26w62fz

Also, I'd also secure a much overlooked weak link in the security chain: your router.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

*edit: Curses. The "Sniper from Oz" bushwhacked me again. Durned refresh rate!

April 5, 2015 11:14:55 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Sure everything that uses code is vulnerable.. I just wondered if OSX has some security protection from what I read it's at basic level. So I need extra security software.

as for router I have it always configured to the best settings and never the factory password.

April 5, 2015 1:58:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As for something innate in OSX you'd have to rely on Apple for info on that.

The whole rumor of Mac invulnerability is rubbish...

Best basic info I've seen is here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2040615/switch-to-mac-security-basics.html

Java doesn't come on your new Mac from the factory...so you don't have to worry about Javascript vulnerabilities, but Safari is not as secure as Chrome or IE.

"The biggest security question we get from people who first switch to a Mac is: “Should I install antivirus?” The answer, for most users, is no—with a few caveats.

If you use Gatekeeper, keep Java disabled, and use an email service—such as Gmail or iCloud—that filters out known malware, the odds of your Mac ever getting infected with malware are minuscule. Switch to Google Chrome, and you further reduce those odds.

Why can you get away with no antivirus software on a Mac? Some antivirus firms say they see 65,000 new Windows malware variants every day, while Macs get a handful or two every year. The numbers are in your favor.

If you still insist on buying antivirus software, however, or if your company requires your computer to run such a utility, you can find a few reputable applications for the Mac, such as Sophos’s free Anti-Virus tool."

That's from the link in Macworld.

Good luck, and be safe.

April 5, 2015 2:40:39 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Thanks DrJBHL for your posts I will read your links.

I'm gonna visit a friend who has an iMac 5k Retina and see the real thing and the new OSX Yosemite.

April 5, 2015 2:41:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with Jafo regarding the Windows GUI, Stardock has a range of customisation programs that allow you to make your desktop as you want it, meaning you could keep your current PC and save yourself a couple of grand.

I've been running Windows 8 - 8.1 exclusively for the last couple of years and I never see the interface that Microsoft severely botched.  And do I enjoy using Windows 8.1?  Yes, very much so... because I use Stardock apps to change the UI to my liking, and when Windows 10 is released I shall do the same.

Now I'm not saying don't get a Mac, that's your choice, but should you rather spend the couple of grand on something else, then dressing up Windows is your answer.... unless you really, really want a Mac.

As for gaming on a Mac, you will likely find yourself limited to a handful here and there, but I believe that most PC games are developed for Windows only.  Of course you could run Windows inside Parallels on the Mac, but then you're back to the ugly interface you tried to escape, except that you're a couple of grand out of pocket and now have the expense of acquiring the Stardock products to make it tolerable.

It's up to you, of course, but I'd be spending less than $100 on customising Windows and either building a high-end PC or buying a 65" TV to watch Game of Thrones on.

April 5, 2015 3:11:49 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well to be honest I never found a theme stylish and good quality to like enough in Stardock's library. The one I use now is Hyperdesk Darkmatter Subspace. Minimal, cool and nice colours. Not many stuff laying around except rainmeter's Recycle Bin and a [log off/restart/turn off] button.

Using custom interfaces is nice but you have some limitations due to OS native operations. Sometimes it's unavoidable you will have to access Start menu or task bar.
But changing the native interface colours positions, adding perhaps some extra things to optimize it to your needs works best to my opinion. Of course you can transform windows to OSX or a Spaceship's control panel. I've seen a lot but they are most eye candies rather useful plus they eat resources.

Surely I can install windows 8 or 10 in my iMac and have some customizations to use it when I want to play games.

April 5, 2015 4:52:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alphaprior,

Surely I can install windows 8 or 10 in my iMac and have some customizations to use it when I want to play games.

Yes, you could do that.... if you really want to spend the money.  At the end of the day it's what you're happy with and what suits your needs, so if that's a Mac with Windows in running Parallels, then by all means go for it.

As for the themes in the 'Stardock' library, there are minimalist themes and quite fancy themes in a whole array of colours, etc.... something pretty much to suit every taste, and it may just be the place to look when you find the defult appearance of Windows 8 or 10 a bit hard to look at alongside Yosemite.

April 5, 2015 5:05:29 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

As I said you can't customize everything. There is always something lies under the skin that will pop up, you will have to access it. I doubt there is customization for everything. Interface is just the surface. I want an OS that is natively good enough to use. Windows are becoming less and less attractive not only the horrible flat interface and icons but they lack of innovations that OSX or Linux have. Microsoft is a dinosaur..

And want to discover why all Mac users love their macs so much and they dont want to hear os see windows ever again. As my friend says "It's so much better, you see how wrong Windows are."

Macs are very expensive yes and I'm not rich the one I have in mind iMac 5k Retina 27" costs 2800€ about 1000 more than I spend for a high end PC every 3 years or so. Now if I can keep a Mac a little more than that I will be satisfied.

April 5, 2015 6:13:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It seems you're pretty much set on a Mac, and the one you have your eye on is a pretty good model, so like I said before, go for it and be happy with your purchase. 

For myself, I have a very high-end PC in mind that I intend to build around August... can house up to 64gb of RAM if I want, and on it I shall install Windows 10 because of what's under the hood. Microsoft never could design a half decent interface, and Win 10 will be no different, so I will make it be what I want it to be using Stardock and Winstep tools.

However, my wants, needs, desires need not end there. I could also install OS-X on that machine with little effort, should the fancy take me.  Yes, OS-X installs nicely in high-end Intel machines, so why the heck not, I say... the best of both worlds on a rig with power to burn.  Oh, and my rig will cost in the vicinity of $6,500 AUD when complete... so you're getting out of it cheaply compared to me

April 5, 2015 6:42:04 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well 64GB RAM? Unless you work with video editing software, 3D Studio Max or other ultra demanding applications I don't see why you should install so much RAM.
16 or even 32 GB would be more than enough for most users. Use the money and get a 256GB SSD instead.

Installing OSX on Intel machine is doable however there are several requirements for that, google for it..

April 5, 2015 8:33:30 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

One of the reasons i have not been online for so long on PC games like sins of a solar empire rebellion is because of my macbook pro. My gaming pretty much stopped when i installed OS X yosemites beta months back and i haven't installed windows through bootcamp up to this date. What I'm more interested in is installing windows 10 whens its stable enough and bootcamp drivers allow me to because I'm have 0 games to play on PC worth using windows for except sins but it has helped me concentrate on my work plus side projects.

General

Currently I'm testing the new Microsoft Office 2015/2016 (Yosemite only) preview:

https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview#faq

OpenOffice

Utorrent

FinalCut Pro X

Apple Photos Beta

Vlc

Dropbox, googledrive, one drive

YTD (Youtube Downloader)

Games "MAC"

League of Legends

Starcraft 2 Wings

Starcraft 2 Hots

Diablo 3

Divinity Origins

Civilization V: Brave New World

Tomb Raider

Spec Ops the line

Call of Duty BlackOps

Age of Empires 3

April 5, 2015 8:41:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Congratulations on your good taste. You've taken the first step to a more consistent, secure and pleasant computing experience. I don't personally know a single Mac user who worries about security, nor a single one who has ever had any problems on that front. You will be disappointed if gaming is a priority, but that's about it (You can always use boot camp if you need access to windows for games.)

Apps: uTorrent and Google Earth are both available on OS X, as is Steam (though the selection is quite lacking at this time.)

Cost: You'll pay a premium for the hardware, but the build quality is excellent and resale values are high. You won't need any sort of antivirus or antimalware (free or otherwise), and OS X includes a robust suite of quality applications. The app store is loaded with well designed software.

Performance: OS X runs well even on 4GB ram, at least for casual use. 16GB is more than enough.

Storage: If you want speed, then get a Thunderbolt drive, but be prepared to spend some money. USB3 is plenty fast enough for me.

April 5, 2015 9:55:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

alphaprior ...Stardock's apps to which I refer are such creatures as Start8, Fences, Object Dock, and Modernmix.  None of this is specifically for 'aesthetics'.  They [Start8 and Modernmix] restore Windows 8 [and beyond] to the functional state that was and always has been NORMAL Windows that people are accustomed to.

Object Dock and Fences are more function enhancements as well.

Between them all [and Windows 8 plus] you'll have a superior computer experience than is claimed by Apple fans for their myopic introverted OS.

Then add Windowblinds and you can have the childish Win 8 'appearance' look slightly more professional...

April 5, 2015 11:33:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alphaprior,

Well 64GB RAM? Unless you work with video editing software, 3D Studio Max or other ultra demanding applications I don't see why you should install so much RAM.
16 or even 32 GB would be more than enough for most users. Use the money and get a 256GB SSD instead.

Installing OSX on Intel machine is doable however there are several requirements for that, google for it..

I already have 32 gigs of DDR3 in my current rig... I create, edit, convert videos, among other things, so the extra RAM is handy.  I also have several SSDs and a 256gb M.2 SSD drive as well, so no worries there. 

My next rig will be a 2011 socket with an Intel i7 5960X, a GTX 970 and 32 gigs of DDR4RAM to start, with the option to add another 32 gigs further down the track, and yes, I've done my homework re: installing OS-X on it.  Should prove not too difficult, should I choose to go that way.  In fact, it would likely be the only way I'd go with OS-X... on a kick arse, high-end machine that'd make an iMac weep in envy of its raw power.

April 6, 2015 8:28:12 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

@starkers:

good luck installing OSX plus you can buy a 4-5k Monitor

a question about your M.2 SSD drive. Is it good, faster than SATA SSDs? I have read there are some restrictions on M.2 on motherboards depends on what other hardware you have installed.

as for iMac I've read I can buy RAM much cheaper with no Apple "tax"...

@NGC7000 I have heard about Thunderbolt but compatibility comes first. I hope Apple soon will release updated iMacs with new USB 3.1 with 10Gbs/sec transfer speeds double of USB3.

So far I got that in OSX I won't be able to run most of the games with few exceptions, Windows need to be installed but only in an external drive possible.
Security is not an issue as long I follow some steps to configure my iMac.

There is alternative software to what I've used all those years, although with browser I'm not sure yet. I stay away from Chrome and other google spy products.

And a comment to those who suggest a different option like using Windows 10 customized or installing OSX. I've had enough with windows I'm pissed off instead of becoming better they are becoming worse, and things that had to be changed or improved remain the same as windows 95 (e.g. windows explorer).

As for the option to build my custom rig as I always did all those years and install OSX is attractive idea for sure but I always liked good quality, robust, optimal, top of the line products since I was a kid I was saving money to buy that. Windows and PC's were always an average and problematic experience compared to an optimized near perfect feel in OSX and Macs in general.
Building and choosing my hardware has been fun, no problems free though.
Using windows... grrrr. Back in Windows 95/98/XP/Vista I remember I had to format every 6/12 months and install new because of slow performance or problems. Now in Windows 7 it's way better I have to format only if I want to clean the system and I did it after 2 years.

But it's time to move on now. Microsoft and Windows where they are going is not where I want to follow..
Only as a secondary option when I can't avoid it. Upcoming DX12 and some stunning games coming this year or the next will keep me near Windows but for all the rest OSX.

April 7, 2015 7:53:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1. Utorrent an application that is mostly used for... what? Well yeah that works on a mac too, a quick and simple doodle google would have answered that.
Games ... common man you can’t be serious!

2.Well a mac does not run on candy corn it will likely also use up power, and the software isn’t free neither, unless you use uTorrent to pirate the shit out of it.

3.No the Macintosh logo will protect you from all the nasty’s whatever it is your safe on the mac due to the magic mac function were the user simply has to stare at the logo and it will then shield him/her from all of that.

If the magic thing does not work out, you can carry that thing to any near Iwastecashtolookhip shop, or you go and buy something like SOPHOS Antivirus,Bitdef or similar.

4. Mac offers some customization as well things like candybar but you would know that if there was some real Interest.

5. The 2600k is a Beast even though its 4.5 years old meanwhile, it is a CPU that can run on 5Ghz on air-cooling... 
Having problems on GC3 sounds strange, since I play games that are by far more demanding than GC3 and that with less ram.
Maybe that is also connected to the Utorrent thing... but that’s just an assumption of mine and I’m not here to judge.

6. Mac Storage even the cables will be expansive (thunderbolt).

PS: Wish you the best with the Retina display and the goal playing games with a "GT" card or "M290X" for example. #bottleneck

Btw did you ever ask yourself the question, why you had to reformat that often, while others did not? 

Quoting alphaprior,

Back in Windows 95/98/XP/Vista I remember I had to format every 6/12 months and install new because of slow performance or problems. 

April 7, 2015 9:00:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

Btw did you ever ask yourself the question, why you had to reformat that often, while others did not? "Back in Windows 95/98/XP/Vista I remember I had to format every 6/12 months"

You should [ask yourself] as it's symptomatic of bad everyday computer practice and not actually a fault of the OS.

Most users do not need to, and even power/heavy users do not.  24/7/365 never really saw me needing to - other than the usual....new OS ver or new HD/system.

April 7, 2015 9:25:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alphaprior,

a question about your M.2 SSD drive. Is it good, faster than SATA SSDs? I have read there are some restrictions on M.2 on motherboards depends on what other hardware you have installed.

Yes, M.2 drives are somewhat faster than standard SSDs on SATA3... and no, I know of no restictions, on my rig at least.

[quote who="alphaprior" reply="16" id="3535613"]
And a comment to those who suggest a different option like using Windows 10 customized or installing OSX. I've had enough with windows I'm pissed off instead of becoming better they are becoming worse, and things that had to be changed or improved remain the same as windows 95 (e.g. windows explorer).

As for Windows getting worse, granted, the UIs of Win 8 and Win 10 are atrocious, but the improvements under the hood over Win 7 are significant, in speed, stability, security and reliability.  Sure the UI is butt ugly, but with the right tools you can have an OS that looks like Win 7 but superior in every other way.  So lashing out over $2000 on a Mac, for mine, is madness when less than $100 can resolve the UI issues and make Windows 8/10 quite decent to work with.

Oh, and while Macs are renowned for their quality, etc, by selecting the components carefully one can build a very high qualty Windows machine to rival any Mac on the Market.  Jafo has done just that, and the power and ability of his machine far exceeds that of any Mac.  In fact, a few Mac owners I've spoken to say their machine was underpowered and they regret their purchase because the cost of upgrading via Apple is prohibitive.

What I'm trying to say here is, don't talk yourself into spending possibly more than you can afford on an underpowered Mac when there are better alternatives available to you.  Put it this way, I know several people who had Macs and went back to PCs with Windows because of dissatisfaction with their products, my niece being one of them. She had hardware issues with her MacBook Pro that were never resolved satisfactorily, so she dumped Apple entirely and is quite happy with her new Windows PC, phone and Ultrabook.

Seriously, if you really truly want a Mac then go for it, but you will find they're not all they're cracked up to be by the fanbois, most of whom buy them purely for the prestige and to be a part of the 'in crowd'.

April 7, 2015 12:20:02 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

@benmanns

1. uTorrent yes we all know what is for and almost everyone uses it. Who denies it?

5. If you didn't notice I'm a GC3 Founder and to answer your wrong assumption, I said I'm playing Insane map size and that probably demands lots of resources, mid game and it's near 6GB. Closing Kaspersky Internet Security seems to help a lot. But I guess there will be more optimizations when the game is released. Definetely nothing to do with uTorrent which I rarely use for very specific things.

@Jafo

I'm a power user and in past I used to try many programs and games installing/uninstalling. Over the time windows were getting slower and slower and sometimes there were problems. So yes format was the best option. And no I'm not like "most users" which they use their computer as is and install a game once in a while.

Formating windows every 6/12 months was popular among power users. Windows 7 are way better than the past versions so no need to do that often anymore.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I hoped to find here Mac users/gamers but most of the time we talk about not going to Mac or other things. So I will head to Mac sites to make my questions there.

April 7, 2015 1:46:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What I think, as more and more people move to Macs the bad guys will see that and up the ante. Not going away from Windows but adding MAcs to their arsenals. A little now but a whole lot later on IMO.

April 7, 2015 2:05:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alphaprior,

I will head to Mac sites to make my questions there.

Fair enough, we haven't exactly been helpful with regard to your Mac questions... though in our defence, we are a Windows oriented bunch that knows pretty much bugger all about the ins and outs and finer workings of a Mac.

Thing is, if you have your heart set on a Mac, please take a look at the Mac Pro before you decide 100% on an iMac.  The reason I suggest this, being you're a bit of a self-confessed power user,  is for its raw processing power, higher-end graphics and better upgrade potential.  If I were going to get a Mac, this is the way I would go, though not simply for its sleek looks 

Yes, it is a sexy looking machine, but it boasts some pretty serious hardware that would more than handle your wants and needs. No, it doesn't come with a monitor, keyboard or mouse, but you'd already have those, which could be updated later on if you wanted.

Anyway, it's food for thought.

April 7, 2015 3:28:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

heh! I know about Mac Pro sure it would be great to have one but it's way more expensive
as you said, sleek, powerful, upgrade potential but..
I'm not rich... and I don't need it anyway

sure it would be cool to have a long desk with a High End PC, a Mac pro, a Macbook Pro etc etc...  

April 7, 2015 3:41:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@Jafo

i did not use quote function there Jafo, i was reffering to Alphaprior

The worst OS i ever had installed was ME and even while it had problems with certain drivers i did not had to format my rig.
I format my rig for one thing... setting up a new OS like i will once again for win10  
Also i would say im a power user and i dont know any power user that goes along and formats that often unless he is testing his security with heavy malware´. 

Quoting alphaprior,

5. If you didn't notice I'm a GC3 Founder and to answer your wrong assumption, I said I'm playing Insane map size and that probably demands lots of resources, mid game and it's near 6GB. Closing Kaspersky Internet Security seems to help a lot. But I guess there will be more optimizations when the game is released. Definetely nothing to do with uTorrent which I rarely use for very specific things.

Founder or not the CPU is up for the task (running GC3).
You have enough RAM so that cant be the problem.
I know you said you run insane map size, i run insane texture packs no problemo here.
So my next assumtion would be that your game is either installed on a USB-drive.
Dunno what GFX you have but that could be a  potential bottleneck  aswell.

Im a Gamer/3D Artist, i love Games and even if i sounded sarcastic at the start, my purpose is mainly to lead you into the right direction.
Fot instance a MAC is not made for Gaming, sure you can run games on it but if you look at the specs you will notice that they come with either GPUs that are made for notebooks that bearly can reach the performance of a low-mid range GTX, < buying something like that will not make you happy as a GAMER, trust me.
Most games demand 3GB+ gm to run on Ultra settings these days and with high DPI displays and steady climbing resolutions a card like that has a life cycle of about 1 year unless you play only indie titles. 
You said that you are not happy with Windows, well then simply stick to the version you like, you said 7 is good so stick to that, nobody forces you to upgrade to 8 or 10.
But you rather waste 2000USD cash on a apple brand that has the equal performance of a toaster because the OS seems nicer?
SO my question did you check the OS in one of those Iwastecash shops- Do you actually like it? Then use the hackintosh it saves you money or run Linux its also good.

April 7, 2015 4:09:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol a power user is someone who installs and uninstalls many programs. Yeah, nah!

If you have to reformat your computer every 6 months you are doing something wrong. Windows does not get slower if you install and uninstall programs. Windows generally gets "gummed up" because people install crap that starts up when windows boots up and runs in the background. The number of times I have to help people uninstall malware that they hadn't even realised that they had installed is incredible. First place to look is your registry, what starts up? Open your processes, what is running? Look in your control panel what was installed recently?

I have used macs and pcs since early 90's. They both have their benefits and their downsides. I used to use Macs everyday at work but I would never have a Mac as my main computer. If you develop for Apple products you quickly start to build a severe dislike for Apple's patronising and restrictive policies. I still have a Mac, it has now been relegated as a spotify station connected to the hifi.

Each to their own... 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: