The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A Tribute to Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

By on February 27, 2015 3:46:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

It’s a sad day for sci-fi fans around the world in learning that Leonary Nimoy passed away today at 83. Last year he announced he had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and was admitted to the hospital earlier this week with complications from that. Sadly, he passed away this morning at his home. Leonard Nimoy is most famously known for playing the role of Spock in the Star Trek franchise.

Born in Boston in 1931, he started acting in local theaters at the age of 8 and eventually made his way to Hollywood where he picked up roles in numerous films and television shows. In 1966 he joined the cast of Star Trek as Spock — the half-human, half-Vulcan science officer which lasted until 1969. After Star Trek, Mr. Nimoy continued to pursue acting and had roles in other television shows such as Mission: Impossible and Gunsmoke.

leonard_nimoy-1279571 Leonard-Nimoy-leonard-nimoy-9475233-1000-840

Even though the original series was cancelled, that wasn't the end for Mr. Spock. Leonard Nimoy would play the Spock character in several of the Star Trek movies, and has even appeared in small roles in the recent movie reboots. Playing Spock was a big part of his acting career, but it certainly wasn't all of it. Mr. Nimoy also directed a couple of the Star Trek films and also had an impressive list of voice acting credits to his name in both films, video games, television shows, and more. Mr. Nimoy was also had a passion for photography, and also authored two autobiographies. He also released five albums of vocal recording of popular song covers and folk music.

Leonard Nimoy’s last tweet:

For many people, including myself, Leonard Nimoy was an inspiration for science and technology through both the roles he played and in real life. Some actors would distance themselves, but Mr. Nimoy never did -- and even embraced the culture that I feel he had a part in creating. How many people out there thought about playing with a real tricorder that Spock would always use? Funny enough, we’re seeing that technology come about today and the inspiration came from shows like Star Trek and from characters like Spock. The impact things like this had on society is huge and very positive.

The world is missing a great person today, but I am thankful for having had the opportunity to witness Mr. Nimoy’s impact on that world. Myself and my colleagues at Stardock send our thoughts and prayers to Mr. Nimoy and his family.

Live long and prosper.

Locked Post 26 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 24, 2015 8:45:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just a reminder...debates on theology have their own section within Joe User, however this is not the one...

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time: