The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock: Avatar for Sarkeesian gaming…

By on February 26, 2015 6:26:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Interesting article on Kotaku today in which activist Anita Sarkeesian expresses what she’s looking for from game developers.

Ultimately, she is looking for games to keep 8 guidelines in mind when making games:

1. Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
2. "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
3. Have female characters of various body types
4. Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
5. Include more female characters of color.
6. Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
7. Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
8. Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

So how does Stardock do?

Let’s take a look at Stardock last released game, the popular, critically acclaimed PC strategy game Fallen Enchantress:

1. Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")

Our last game, Fallen Enchantress has female leads and allows players to design female units in total equality with males with equal resource allocation (i.e. we spent an equal amount in the form of hundreds of thousands in art costs) on separate clothing, armor.

Stardock spent hundreds of thousands of dollars creating unique character models and assets to ensure that both males and female units could be created by players.

2. "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)

Same. Fallen Enchantress female armor was functional, practical. As you can see in the above screenshot, the armor is not only not “lingerie” but it lacks breast definition because real female armor wouldn’t have that.

3. Have female characters of various body types

We include multiple models for male and females in the game. As any game developer can tell you, this was a non-trivial cost, especially to a small studio because it meant we had to create different types of armor (our armor is not a texture being applied).

4. Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.

We modeled our units proportions based on real world measurements.

In Fallen Enchantress, players can design their own units, leaders, etc. Multiple body sizes included.

5. Include more female characters of color.

Done.

Literally any color you’d like. Even blue.

6.Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.

Done.

7. Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic

Done.

8. Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

The Villain, Ceresa was female

and

according to statistics the most popular HERO of Fallen Enchantress was…

Procipinee. Queen of the West, heir of Amarian. The world’s most powerful channeler of magic.

But wait…that’s not all…

>50% of the source code in Fallen Enchantress was written by women (plural) and much of the art in the game was created by women.

I look forward to Ms. Sarkeesian holding Stardock up as the model of what game studios should be doing.  In fact, her and her allies are welcome to find any modern game or studio that has comparable representation of women both in terms of in-game characters as well as development.

I won’t hold my breath.

Locked Post 42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 3, 2015 8:35:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Being on the wrong side of history is at least as bad as it is cracked up to be.  It causes you to make stupid trolling comments that are part of the reason there is such heated over-reaction to gender issues in the first place.

Other people having no sense of humor isn't my problem.  Try cultivating an intellect instead of a chip on your shoulder, it's an absurdity to find offense over a comment you find absurd.

It's also my Mother's actual opinion that women should never have been allowed to vote.  I figure we were doomed anyway, Woodrow Wilson was one of the biggest fuckups to ever be elected president, and he was one of the main obstacles to the suffrage movement, as opposed to a product of it's success once he gave up blocking it over protests and hunger strikes during WW1.

The point is moot regardless though, history is rarely true in such things.  From a historical perspective, the Democrats are the party of suffrage and the evil Republicans are waging a war on women.  That their right to vote passed despite a democratic filibuster clearly didn't hurt the party that was on the wrong side as they've simply rewritten it to their benefit thanks to the idiocy and ignorance of the population at large.

March 3, 2015 9:02:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Sorry.  I've nothing much to contribute to this discussion.

Been a bit distracted ogling Google images of Lara Croft.

I'll be back in a minute.

Make it ten.

March 4, 2015 2:08:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

I was going to state that he was 'alleged' to have harassed someone. In fact said harassed person had to write an apology for the false accusation.  The previous poster did not do any research on Brad at all. This is exactly the kind of crap SJW's love to push and it works with un-informed people as we see here. 

You missed the point completely. Whether true or not, the SJW narrative is that Brad is sexist and harassing employees. 

March 4, 2015 8:27:48 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Other people having no sense of humor isn't my problem.  Try cultivating an intellect instead of a chip on your shoulder, it's an absurdity to find offense over a comment you find absurd.

Come on now, people not laughing at your jokes is always a problem for a comedian.

It has been established in my real life conversations that I have both a sense of humor and an intellect, maybe even above average in both categories.  They both lead me to the conclusion that your problem is that you are just not funny, at least not in this case.

Whether it is you or me that is the problem, maybe both, there is a problem and all your denial will not change that.  Everybody's over-reaction on both sides may make the discussion tiresome, but denial will make it worse.  Brad seems to know it is a problem and does what he can about it as CEO of a gaming company.  I admire that.  Others campaign cluelessly.  That is contemptible.  Then others try to deny everything with a poor attempt at humor.  Find your own appropriate adjective for that kind of behavior.

There is a problem and it deserves better responses than you and many others seem willing to give it.  There are people who deserve mockery, but the issue does not.

March 4, 2015 10:16:23 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Okay I admit, I haven't read all the comments.  With that being said here are some arguments and compliments to the original post.

Compliments...

• Creating a game where women are not "sex" objects.  
  • Giving the female character a chance to be the hero.  (Aliens, Terminator)
  • Stardock games in general have a vast variety of customization to all aspects of games

Arguments...

• Don't generalize everything.
  • Men and Woman are not physically the same and shouldn't be treated as such.  (not sexist stating generalized facts use to advantage I understand there are exceptions)
    • Woman naturally are more agile (flexible and smaller) allow the game to use this to their advantage (not sexual but, sneak into places where larger characters can't go.)  [Again I understand this doesn't hold true to every person]
    • Men are naturally stronger and faster, allow this to be used to their advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation.
    • Men tend to have more of a "beer gut" than woman, especially as they age.  (penalize them as they get older for this)
    • Alien (non-human) characters throw these arguments out the window as your creation is your pallet.

Overall I love Stardock games and think they are on the correct path.  I agree women are not "sex" objects and "lingerie" is not armor.  You shouldn't promote that, however, in the real world men and women do use "sex" to get ahead.  Don't know how you could add that to games without going overboard but, if I have a nice six pack tan and what women tend to think of as a nice body, maybe I try to sneak in using other strategies other than fighting my way through the gate, strip off my armor and give the ladies something to look at?  Same thing the other way with women.  

Like I said that is not appropriate in every situation, however, if I'm a spy for a certain level sure.  If I'm fighting my way through sewers and prison cells no, I'm most likely not dressing sexy.

March 4, 2015 10:01:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Come on now, people not laughing at your jokes is always a problem for a comedian.

Start paying me for the pleasure of reading my posts, and I'll start caring about whether you find them funny.  Until then, I'm not being paid to type this.

Whether it is you or me that is the problem, maybe both, there is a problem and all your denial will not change that.  Everybody's over-reaction on both sides may make the discussion tiresome, but denial will make it worse.  Brad seems to know it is a problem and does what he can about it as CEO of a gaming company.  I admire that.  Others campaign cluelessly.  That is contemptible.  Then others try to deny everything with a poor attempt at humor.  Find your own appropriate adjective for that kind of behavior.

There is a problem and it deserves better responses than you and many others seem willing to give it.  There are people who deserve mockery, but the issue does not.

I consider my responses to the problem to have been quite magnanimous.  That I don't simply laugh my ass off and run people over for claiming gender discrimination is quite the accomplishment.  It's almost entirely bullshit.

If I were the male equivalent of a feminist, I'd be some horribly emasculated loser that cried every time he looked in the mirror because his hair was thinning, he didn't have a six pack, and his prick wasn't 8 inches or larger.  Instead, I look in the mirror because I need to comb my hair.  Well, the half of it that's left anyway.

The video games industry has little if anything to point to.  The vaunted boob armor comes with matching male armors that don't even cover the chest to begin with, and there are probably a higher percentage of female programmers and artists designing them than there are female gamers playing them.  Now if you want to complain about why women can't drive in Saudi Arabia, go for it.

April 6, 2015 6:17:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And I could care less about what Anita Sarkeesian thinks or wants. Far more interested in what Christian Hoff has to say, at least she isn't a misandrist who uses double standard sexism like Anita and most of her supporters.

May 30, 2015 12:34:31 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You know she's just a paid mouthpiece right? She's all raving against Hatred and then come to find out she's invested in a company doing writing for other Very Violent video games. Do some digging into her, you'll see. She's not as squeaky clean nor half as self righteous as she pretends to be. If I were you Brad I'd distance Stardock from even mentioning her name if I were you. Her hypocrisy is overwhelming. She says she's against all this stuff and then her and her friends are making money on doing the exact same thing. There's some Youtube videos where Youtubers have done investigations into her and her friends and the proof for what I'm talking about and her making money on it is there.

You don't want Any Attention from Anita Skankeesian, good or bad.

May 31, 2015 1:24:24 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Isn't Brad a panelist on an upcoming GG debate? I think he's aware of all this 

Also he's had plenty attention from that circle since that sexual harassment lawsuit... I'd guess he doesnt give a fuck about that anymore.

May 31, 2015 6:21:07 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Doesn't matter what games you output when you've been labeled. Not only does Brad Wardell have a history of sexually harassing his female employees but he is also directly criticizing Sarkeesian / GamerGhazi in posts like these. I mean, let's at least be fair. Brad Wardell is an outspoken critic of their movement. That means he's the ENEMY. 

I expected better from you, Heavenfall. I'm not one to take sides or push an agenda, but when the complaintant had her case dismissed with prejedice, you have to believe that the whole thing was a farce. 

June 1, 2015 2:30:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

___I___ know that. But it's not what I know or believe, I'm talking about what the SJW narrative is.

June 1, 2015 6:15:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Someone's sarcasm indicator broke...

June 1, 2015 7:52:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting RavenX,

You know she's just a paid mouthpiece right? She's all raving against Hatred and then come to find out she's invested in a company doing writing for other Very Violent video games. Do some digging into her, you'll see. She's not as squeaky clean nor half as self righteous as she pretends to be. If I were you Brad I'd distance Stardock from even mentioning her name if I were you. Her hypocrisy is overwhelming. She says she's against all this stuff and then her and her friends are making money on doing the exact same thing. There's some Youtube videos where Youtubers have done investigations into her and her friends and the proof for what I'm talking about and her making money on it is there.

You don't want Any Attention from Anita Skankeesian, good or bad.

I'm mostly just pointing out that she doesn't really believe what she says.  

June 1, 2015 7:55:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Ahh that's good stuff then . I didn't think you'd go for her BS.

June 2, 2015 7:21:45 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

___I___ know that. But it's not what I know or believe, I'm talking about what the SJW narrative is.

Ah, gotcha. My bad. Tone is hard to interpret on the 'netz. 

June 2, 2015 6:14:42 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but I'm not sure I see how you've achieved that?

June 2, 2015 9:48:10 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

By creating a game that fits within the parameters these social justice warriors are demanding, then observing a total lack of interest in said game by such parties, he demonstrated that these people do not actually want what they say they want, but instead are looking for targets to flail against. The lack of coverage for Fallen Enchantress proves these people have no interest in a game that is not sexist. 

Mind you, i havnt played Fallen Enchantress. This is simply my interpretation of frogboy's stance.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.