The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Jafo's OK PC Build of 2015

By on February 3, 2015 7:27:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo

Join Date 03/2001
+1052

Following on with ID's thread re new PC build.... and I'd only hijacked Starkers' one to describe what I'd been doing to date...so here's my own thread with the ins and outs of what's what.

My old machine [also home-grown] was a [then] reasonably OK machine....

Lian Li PC-A6010 case [black]

Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w PSU

ASUS P6T-se  X58 i7 MoBo

Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz LGA1366 CPU

12G OCZ Triple [6x2G] PC12800 DDR3 Gold Ram

CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

Vantec EZ2 Sata hot-swap racks [x2][black]

1TB Seagate Sata2 7200 HD [x2] [redundancy backup/data]

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [x2]

500G WD Sata2 7200 HD [game backups]

250G Seagate Sata2 7200 HD [x2] [secondary/alternate OS installs in racks]

240G SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25 [for OS]

ACR-105 Multi card reader

LG Sata DVD-RW [x2][black]

ASUS GTX590 3GB GPU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM.

That was its final specs...having doubled the ram from 6 and adding a 'faster' GPU.

The stumbling block was really 'just' the CPU.  For FSX  it's a case of 'the faster the better' - so just before Xmas I started researching....

More to come...

220 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 4, 2015 8:02:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

ps.. not waiting 6 months or what not for skylake?

If you keep waiting for 'the next best thing' you will just be holding on to that older less good thing as it gets even older and less gooder...

Life.....the thing that happens to you while you are making plans.....

Re the cooling...it's all fans...no liquid [other than what's involved with the heatpipes on the various coolers...

One of the nice things about the GPU and the PSU choice in particular is when they're not feeling 'taxed' they simply shut down their fans totally.....ain't no cooler quieter than silent.

When they're sleeping there's only 5 in operation....one in and one out in the Mobo box, the CPU, and two littlies in the HD 'high-rise tower'.

A sea of fans is for people who blow-wave their hair....

February 4, 2015 8:18:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

ps.. not waiting 6 months or what not for skylake?

WTF is Skylake?  And is it worth waiting for?

February 4, 2015 2:20:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

WTF is Skylake? And is it worth waiting for?

This

February 4, 2015 3:28:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting starkers,

WTF is Skylake? And is it worth waiting for?

This

Hmmm, very interesting, and it'll likely be available by the time I'm ready to build,  but it'll also have 'new tech' pricing and I really don't see a need to outlay more cash than budgeted  for when the CPU mobo I plan to get will be more than adequate to my needs in the PCIE dep't 

So anyway, I've answered my own question "is it worth waiting for?".   For me/my needs, it's a no.

As it is I'm waiting for prices on the CPU, RAM and mobo to drop from 'newish tech' levels so the rig is more affordable. without having to compromise on the key components.

February 5, 2015 8:40:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The weather gadgets decided to stop working yesterday.  Seems MS isn't interested in them anymore....

Got some others though....always nice to check how much better Melbourne's weather is to Michigan's... [like currently -9c vs 27c]

System seems stable....if one ignores the WEI not working and having to cold boot 4 times to light the engine....

February 5, 2015 9:45:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just curious since I'm interested in a M2 card for a future build. One tip I read is to unplug all other storage units for it to be recognized in bios.  I don't believe this boot problem is a motherboard issue since the Z99 is built for this type of card.

Or like you said earlier, just wait for Windows 10 to hopefully catch up to all of the new hardware coming on to the scene.

February 5, 2015 10:27:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

always nice to check how much better Melbourne's weather is to Michigan's..

And you need to check Melbourne's weather regularly... given it it is inconsistent and often has 4 seasons in a day.

Still, it has to be better than what much of the US is copping right now.... COLD and even more COLD.

For mine, however, an even 24c all year round would suit me.... where does one order that?

Quoting fooshniken,

Just curious since I'm interested in a M2 card for a future build. One tip I read is to unplug all other storage units for it to be recognized in bios.  I don't believe this boot problem is a motherboard issue since the Z99 is built for this type of card.

Or like you said earlier, just wait for Windows 10 to hopefully catch up to all of the new hardware coming on to the scene.

I do believe it is a Windows issue and that MS will have to address it for Win 7 through to Win 10... time and PC tech stands still for no-one, not even MS.  As for unplugging other storage, well it may help, but I doubt it given the Z99 is M.2 compatible. The M.2 will likely shows up in thevBIOS regardless, meaning the boot issue is probably a Windows thing and not at all hardware related.

February 5, 2015 11:35:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

For mine, however, an even 24c all year round would suit me.... where does one order that?

San Diego, CA I am led to believe. That does sound pretty damn nice right now at like 0 F right now in Wisconsin.

February 5, 2015 12:03:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i suppose it depends on how often you get a new build. think my current one is like 8 years old .. albeit with various replacement bits (wasn't a high end build either.. not that i did the building)

February 5, 2015 5:22:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As a rug-rat I grew up with Meccano .... so putting things together was/is second nature...along with designing - building- repairing my own bikes, and doing 'odd' things like replacing a head gasket while camping over the holidays.

I enjoy 'doing things' so whether it's a new PC build or a rehash of an old one....it's all fun to me.

Gotta admit though that no matter what...it's more enjoyable messing with new stuff than old...

February 6, 2015 3:14:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I enjoy 'doing things' so whether it's a new PC build or a rehash of an old one....it's all fun to me.

Same here.... totally into the innards of things, especially PCs.

Quoting Jafo,

Gotta admit though that no matter what...it's more enjoyable messing with new stuff than old..

Yup, gotta agree with that one, though while I'm waiting to do my next new build, I've stripped down my AMD machine and I'm replacing some of its parts with better ones that I had left over from various other builds... stuff like highem rating RAM; HDDs and a sound card, etc.  It's a Claytons upgrade... the upgrade I have when I can't afford an upgrade, though it does 'temporarily' have that Samsung 256gb M.2. However, it could be that I end up poaching it for my new build, being that it will be my primary machine and 256gb is plenty big enough for an OS and programmes.

And yeah, I also grew up with Meccano... a fantastic 'toy' that forever remains a favourite among kids who like to do other than just play computer games.  My nephews all enjoyed it, and now I have grandkids and a whole new generation of kids playing with it.

February 8, 2015 2:09:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i'd like to see a pic of your cable management once the build is complete.
Everytime i peek at WC and see this topic i want to start a new build myself.
Just seen the Lian Li DK-02X  i wish i had the money for it ...  

February 8, 2015 9:47:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

i'd like to see a pic of your cable management once the build is complete.Everytime i peek at WC and see this topic i want to start a new build myself.Just seen the Lian Li DK-02X i wish i had the money for it ...

Here's the door from the right side....that gets you to the wiring...

February 8, 2015 9:54:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The wiring...all hidden in here....

Note the non-alignment of the CPU back/socket with the tray cutout...indicating that a X99/LGA2011 board isn't quite a standard ATX layout.... hence my issues with the CPU cooler needing some fins clipped...

All the HD power connectors were daisy-chained already...

February 8, 2015 11:47:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Life.....the thing that happens to you while you are making plans.....
......Indeed. 

I'm absolutely happy for you Paul.  Out of all the blokes I know on WC, you have the highest regard for safety at speed.

You've put together a fine machine. Don't forget those regular oil changes and avoid sudden stops. Oh, and wear your track gear, that thing is quick.

February 9, 2015 3:54:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wow ok that looks like there is plenty of space on the backside for cables 
The door to my little Bluering Lian Li hardly closes

February 10, 2015 12:34:43 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting benmanns,

Yes...it's deep enough for the job....and expansive and thus accessible.  Ensuring you have a modular PSU helps quite a bit....you only use the connectors you need.

The separation of components into their own 'bits' of box actually makes a heck of a lot of sense...

February 10, 2015 12:25:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting benmanns,

Yes...it's deep enough for the job....and expansive and thus accessible.  Ensuring you have a modular PSU helps quite a bit....you only use the connectors you need.

The separation of components into their own 'bits' of box actually makes a heck of a lot of sense...

Now you know why I so wanted this case, though in black.  The Level 10 case I have is great, and it has oodles of interior room for large/many components, not to mention great cabling to boot, but I still prefer the design of yours.... more is the pity I cannot access the black version anywhere

Oh well, the Coolermaster Cosmos II will be a fantastic case to work with, and for a much lesser price, meaning I'll have a bit more of the budget available for fantastic innards like high-end CPUs and GPUs, etc.

February 11, 2015 7:47:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's funny [read - annoying] just how long it takes to get a new system up and running properly.

Just now I discovered I hadn't installed several fonts I need/use....OK, not a big problem [I obviously have them backed up for such occasions] but annoying to be still doing crap like that almost 2 months later....

February 11, 2015 8:02:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171652990362?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Starkers....if it's the GT case you wanted....$338 plus postage...

Edit...oh wait....that'll be the original version that's several years old.  The original came out in 2009.  It won't be in stock anywhere most likely.  You'd be looking secondhand....

February 11, 2015 10:32:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171652990362?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Starkers....if it's the GT case you wanted....$338 plus postage...

Edit...oh wait....that'll be the original version that's several years old.  The original came out in 2009.  It won't be in stock anywhere most likely.  You'd be looking secondhand....

That's the Level 10 [remake] I already have.  The orginal design is nigh impossible to get... unless there's one or two laying around in some obscure puter shop someplace.  The issue then would be price if they knew exactly what they have on their hands, given their extreme scarcity... and what people far better off than I are willing to pay for one.

As for the Titanium model, the going price pretty much determines I wait another year or two for the machine I'd love to build, component-wise, that is, so I've pretty much given up on the idea of ever owning one and have settled for the Coolermaster Cosmos II, which is a 1000 bucks cheaper and allows me to spend more on the desired components that much sooner. 

Besides, I still have future accommodation to secure, which will take some of my savings, and a $1299 PC tower at this time would be hard to justify... even to myself.  Oh, and things on the housing front have improved dramatically thanks to a lady Shaunna introduced me to.  She has some contacts through her work and I am encouraged by the response thus far.  Let's just say that she has opened doors I couldn't even knock on before, meaning a place of my own is sooner, not later.

So yeah, passing up on the case of my dreams may be sad, but the Cosmos II is decent tower in its own right, and I get to set up my man cave, where I can have all my stuff as I'd like it to be, that much sooner.

Now I AM jealous that YOU got the case design I'd dearly love, BIG TIME, and I could call you all sorts of names for beating me to it and having one right there in your possession, but when it all boils down, you were in the position to acquire it and good luck to you for seizing the opportunity to own a piece of PC history.

Orright, then, just one name.... you lucky, lucky bastard.  

February 11, 2015 5:38:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

It's funny [read - annoying] just how long it takes to get a new system up and running properly.

This morning my DiNovo Edge keyboard wasn't working.

Battery was flat.....and I didn't know that was about to happen because I'd forgotten to load its driver.

With the driver you get a systray icon that tells you stuff like 'battery is low - you have about a week left'.

...and with cordless keyboards it's kinda essential info...

February 12, 2015 3:42:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well it's logitech... utterly unreliable when it comes to battery meter even if you have it loaded.

i have the solar keyboard.. and one night in the last few weeks, i hit the battery gauge thingy and it said something like 83%. hit it a moment later it says 84... repeat 85. (and no.. the ceiling light ain't that bright)

makes absolutely no sense as usual. beats me why they don't have an absolute counter rather than some fuzzy stuff calculated based on usage pattern or whatever it is that they do. i like the unity receiver thingy but hate the low battery capacity. have to recharge the mouse (performance mx. comes with usb charge cord) every 2-3 days or something. and obviously solar doesn't really work in winter if you hit lots of keys (like in mmo)

February 12, 2015 7:25:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The DiNovo is in many ways arguably the best keyboard around.  The battery life is measured in weeks not days [machine is on 24/7/365] and I have absolutely no issue with it...so much so that although I've had this thing half a dozen years or more I also have a second unopened....as its replacement if it ever karks it.

Which is unlikely. 

It was my mistake forgetting to load the drivers, not anything to do with Logitech at all...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: