The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

VirtualBox and Windows10TP 9926 US

By on January 27, 2015 12:40:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

benmanns

Join Date 12/2005
+86

Installed VB set up a VHD with 25gigs added 4 cores and gave it 4gig ram enabled 2D and 3D accelleration
Started the setup.

Now comes the strange part the installation hung up 5 times and VB had to be closed and rebootet.
After the installtion was complete the virtual machine ran, but with a speed that reminded me of a 286
So we cleaned up uninstalled VB cleaned the registry installed VB again and reset the installation this time we had to restart the installation twice, and ended up having the same slow VM.
Sothe ISO was deleted the VM also everything got cleaned. Since we thought that the ISO might be corrupted we grabbed another one from the MS server.
Started over the installtion finshed but the VM still runs slow.

Never had this problem before.

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 27, 2015 3:21:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If your host is UEFI you'll need to set it to allow multi-core VMs...

January 27, 2015 7:48:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I run this combination on my AMD machine( VirtualBox and W10).  I would try telling Win 10 it has fewer resources to work with such as 2 cores and 3 GB of ram. 

On my AMD rig I just enable the VM multicore function in the MB BIOS and VirtualBox sees the service and runs multicore VMs.

One thing I've noticed W10 is borrowing from W8 and showing my e taskbar like its ready but it's still loading for awhile.

My main bottleneck seems to be the Virtual HD it's only SATA.  No SATA 2 or 3 available in the free version.

January 28, 2015 10:38:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Virtualization is turned on in the Bios
I assigned 3 cores to the VM and i tried to give it a little more memory but nothing changed 
PAE/NX is also activated 
The next thing i will do is try running as guest system - if that doesnt work it might be a driver conflict with my gfx or the drive.

January 28, 2015 11:32:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BigDogBigFeet,

I would try telling Win 10 it has fewer resources to work with such as 2 cores and 3 GB of ram.

If you try this above Win 10 should auto adjust itself to run more efficiently with the reduced resources.  My VM runs well like that.

January 28, 2015 12:19:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok ill give it a shot thanks BigDog

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: